PDA

View Full Version : matthewski's hope

Pages : [1] 2

mweinstone
02-23-2008, 10:53
i just asked a dear friend to lend me 200,000.00$ thats alot of money. its crazy i know but he offered once to help me find a way out of my tax problem. so i wrapped up a few pictures as a gift and wrote a proposal about how i belive in my art so much that i should be able to pay the money back this life. its a smaller amount to him than me of course. and hes a philanthropist. and i love them alot. and i have known them for the longest of anyone alive. since i was 17 or 18. and their son greg was a mountaneer. and i feel he may go for the crazy idea of helping me for the sake of me, and my art. and cause hes just that cool. so im on my way over to his house and ill find out in the next few days or weeks depending on if hes around,...weather i could possibly thruhike this april . if so,... ilove you all. if not, i will double my work efforts and deal with this debt so i can at least thru hike once in this life. cross your dirtyest hiker fingers please.

the goat
02-23-2008, 11:39
$200K can buy a lot of bumble bars

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 11:45
thru-hikin' ain't all it's cracked up to be

rafe
02-23-2008, 12:50
how'd you end up $200 thousand in debt? :-?

ed bell
02-23-2008, 12:52
I thought it was 70 grand, matty?

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 12:54
Matty, hope you find yourself on your AT hike this year. Wishes,
Peace:sun

Sly
02-23-2008, 13:12

70K to pay his back taxes, 130K for a proper thru-hike! :D

Jason of the Woods
02-23-2008, 13:15
I'm sure that you are a nice guy and all but at 46 don't you think if your "art" was going to take off it would have by now. I only say this living with a successful artist. My fiance is a showing artist and by no means is that our primary income. While we do make extra money from that it isn't the bread and butter. Very few artists are actually able to make a living as just an artist. I would say that you, at your age especially, need to take a long hard look at what you are doing in life. Maybe it would be a good idea to skip a through hike this year and get a job and pay your own debt. While your friend may have extra money to burn is it fair to take his money? Best of luck to you man.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 13:18
Yikes. . .

Kirby
02-23-2008, 13:53
Very blunt indeed, perhaps better said VIA a PM.

Kirby

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 13:54

Kirby
Well said B-Kirb:)

mweinstone
02-23-2008, 14:19
my father is a famous artist that comands 7 digit prices. my mother was an artist of smaller note who sold peices for only thousands. my art was seen twice by andrew wyeth. ten or fifteen years ago. he is americas formost living realist painter. that means he comands the top prices. his exact words to me then were," your art is amazing and incredible" " you should market and patent your signature" " you will have no truble in the art world"
i take that for what it is. one mans voice. but god told me to be what i am. and im really good at it. and my friend john is very very wealthy and asked to help. and i love him and terry and will still after we discuss this. im back from dropping off the pictures and the note. now im upset. its not nice too ask for such help. i never did. and its 79 thousand to the fed. 39 thousand to the city and current taxes for my 53 thousand i just earned. plus the 20 thousand i charged to clear and get current with the state so i could make the payment arrangement i have. but its climbing each day. and wearing on my soul. and i have come this far without a lawer and with my above 800 credit score intact.

StarLyte
02-23-2008, 14:28
Matty's art is exceptional.

It is his technique and the end result is extraordinary. :sun

More exposure needed.

mweinstone
02-23-2008, 14:29
so its not about hiking. but if i did this thing i would hike to relax and start over with some responsible behavior where moneys concerned. it all started in grade school giving my lunch money to kids for lunch. i discovered early on,...that giving away my 45 cents lunch money felt great. and being broke solely because you gave all your money away ,is a good broke. and its what i belive in. i dont like haveing things while others dont. i dont really even like things. i like folks. you folks. sad mat out.

Kirby
02-23-2008, 14:34
I'm not sure what they have in Philly, but here in Portland, Maine we have something called the first Friday art walk. On the first Friday of every month, all the artists and museums in the downtown area open up their studios for free to the public, it is a big thing here.

In fact, I am about to go buy a photograph that I have been fascinated by for a couple of weeks.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 14:38
declare bankruptcy

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 14:52
i like folks. you folks. sad mat out.
:sun:sun:sun
Looking forward to meeting you at Billeville

the goat
02-23-2008, 15:07
I'm sure that you are a nice guy and all but at 46 don't you think if your "art" was going to take off it would have by now. I only say this living with a successful artist. My fiance is a showing artist and by no means is that our primary income. While we do make extra money from that it isn't the bread and butter. Very few artists are actually able to make a living as just an artist. I would say that you, at your age especially, need to take a long hard look at what you are doing in life. Maybe it would be a good idea to skip a through hike this year and get a job and pay your own debt. While your friend may have extra money to burn is it fair to take his money? Best of luck to you man.
matt has a good job & has been paying down his debt for a while.

his art is phenominal, too, i've seen many of his works.

how much of his work have you seen, jerk0ff of the woods?

wtmntcaretaker
02-23-2008, 15:13
no need to get mean about any of the posts. it is reasonable what Jason said, given the info posted.

wtmntcaretaker
not sugar coated

warraghiyagey

Kirby
Or - another free option - not at all.

ed bell
02-23-2008, 15:23
my art was seen twice by andrew wyeth. ten or fifteen years ago. he is americas formost living realist painter. that means he comands the top prices. his exact words to me then were," your art is amazing and incredible" " you should market and patent your signature" " you will have no truble in the art world"
i take that for what it is. one mans voice. but god told me to be what i am. and im really good at it. Matty, the Art Museum here in Greenville,SC was home to the Andrew Wyeth collection for many years. That is a very impressive endorsement. Best of luck to you and I will say a prayer for you. Peace.

ed bell
02-23-2008, 15:26
declare bankruptcyIf his credit score has remained that high, I would say that is bad advice.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 15:30
If his credit score has remained that high, I would say that is bad advice.

or maybe this whole thread is BS. 99% of all matty's posts ain't too serious :)

mudhead
02-23-2008, 15:34
Except the bacon. I believe he likes pork.

Appalachian Tater
02-23-2008, 15:34
Matthewski, have you negotiated with the IRS? I never heard of anyone having to pay back the full amount if it is a large sum, and it's usually only a couple of hundred dollars a month on the payment plan.

ed bell
02-23-2008, 15:38
or maybe this whole thread is BS. 99% of all matty's posts ain't too serious :)True dat.:)

camojack
02-23-2008, 15:42
or maybe this whole thread is BS. 99% of all matty's posts ain't too serious :)
If that's accurate, I believe that this one falls into the other 1%, then.

There's an original Matthewski hanging on the wall at "La Casa de Camo" (my rambling estate) and I like it a lot...

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 15:45
If that's accurate, I believe that this one falls into the other 1%, then.

There's an original Matthewski hanging on the wall at "La Casa de Camo" (my rambling estate) and I like it a lot...
Back in the lower 48??
Beeyotch. . . .

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/hiding.gif

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 15:51
Beeyotch. . . .

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/hiding.gif

yo. watch the racial slurs

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 15:54
yo. watch the racial slurs
Oops. My B.
:rolleyes::p

Survivor Dave
02-23-2008, 16:16
Get real man.

I will say this in the kindest way I can.

Go get a J-O-B.

I did well for myself working in hot kitchens all my life. When those jobs were lost, I delivered pizza, or did something else I was not acustomed to to keep busy.

Yes, I was very good at what I did, but I didn't hang out waiting for The Food Network to give me a call and give me my own show.

I had bills and responsibilities to take care of. I didn't sit at home and wait for the frickin' Prize Patrol to show up at my door with a check.

If folks keep bailing you out, you'll never grow up. And if I do run into you, please don't ask for anything, I'll just tell you that I worked hard to EARN the priveledge of hiking. Then I'll tell you to go get a job like 99% percent of the rest of us.

I imagine the feeling on Katahdin will taste better knowing I earned every single step.

SD

i just asked a dear friend to lend me 200,000.00$ thats alot of money. its crazy i know but he offered once to help me find a way out of my tax problem. so i wrapped up a few pictures as a gift and wrote a proposal about how i belive in my art so much that i should be able to pay the money back this life. its a smaller amount to him than me of course. and hes a philanthropist. and i love them alot. and i have known them for the longest of anyone alive. since i was 17 or 18. and their son greg was a mountaneer. and i feel he may go for the crazy idea of helping me for the sake of me, and my art. and cause hes just that cool. so im on my way over to his house and ill find out in the next few days or weeks depending on if hes around,...weather i could possibly thruhike this april . if so,... ilove you all. if not, i will double my work efforts and deal with this debt so i can at least thru hike once in this life. cross your dirtyest hiker fingers please.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 16:18
Hey SURVIVOR DAVE.
Good for you.

Blissful
02-23-2008, 16:44
I am a "starving" author - I don't begin to make any end meet in the work I do right now - Then again, I am married so hubby is the main bread winner (and we actually got money back this year on taxes). But artistic-type endeavors take a lot of time to build. Some make it quick and big but most do not. I don't know about an artist per say, but until I can land a big contract with a major publisher- NY type house and be able to sell that book, there ain't much money coming in with what I do. It's enough for a few extras here we wouldn't be able to get otherwise, and we used the money toward the AT last year. But that's about it. For now it's working slowly and surely toward that big break.

Of course I should stop visiting WB all the time and get back to work revising these proposals... That would help. (though I like the break now and then, and it's good therapy for Springer fever)
:)

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 16:57
I am a "starving" author - I don't begin to make any end meet in the work I do right now - Then again, I am married so hubby is the main bread winner (and we actually got money back this year on taxes). But artistic-type endeavors take a lot of time to build. Some make it quick and big but most do not. I don't know about an artist per say, but until I can land a big contract with a major publisher- NY type house and be able to sell that book, there ain't much money coming in with what I do. It's enough for a few extras here we wouldn't be able to get otherwise, and we used the money toward the AT last year. But that's about it. For now it's working slowly and surely toward that big break.

Of course I should stop visiting WB all the time and get back to work revising these proposals... That would help. (though I like the break now and then, and it's good therapy for Springer fever)
Exactly!!:sun:sun

ed bell
02-23-2008, 17:05
Get real man.

I will say this in the kindest way I can.

Go get a J-O-B.

I did well for myself working in hot kitchens all my life. When those jobs were lost, I delivered pizza, or did something else I was not acustomed to to keep busy.

Yes, I was very good at what I did, but I didn't hang out waiting for The Food Network to give me a call and give me my own show.

I had bills and responsibilities to take care of. I didn't sit at home and wait for the frickin' Prize Patrol to show up at my door with a check.

If folks keep bailing you out, you'll never grow up. And if I do run into you, please don't ask for anything, I'll just tell you that I worked hard to EARN the priveledge of hiking. Then I'll tell you to go get a job like 99% percent of the rest of us.

I imagine the feeling on Katahdin will taste better knowing I earned every single step.

SDI hear what you are saying SD, but you gotta realize Matty has been working. Removing asbestos and related junk from buildings needing renovations. That is what I understand, maybe I'm not quite accurate, but I think I'm close.

Jason of the Woods
02-23-2008, 17:05
Whoa there Tough Guy. Easy. The guy is 46 and decided to post something like that on a public forum. What was he expecting? I unfortunately can't run to my friends when I need 200,000 so I don't have a lot of sympathy. It's just not realistic. As far as his work goes I'm sure that it is good, maybe even great. Like I said before my other half's work is great and shows constantly but it does not pay our bills. I did look for his work before I posted but it is not posted in his photos. C'mon Man!

Besides the fact
matt has a good job & has been paying down his debt for a while.

his art is phenominal, too, i've seen many of his works.

how much of his work have you seen, jerk0ff of the woods?

Survivor Dave
02-23-2008, 17:10
I hear what you are saying SD, but you gotta realize Matty has been working. Removing asbestos and related junk from buildings needing renovations. That is what I understand, maybe I'm not quite accurate, but I think I'm close.

You pay your debts FIRST, then you buy the 'Vette.

Whoa there Tough Guy. Easy. The guy is 46 and decided to post something like that on a public forum. What was he expecting? I unfortunately can't run to my friends when I need 200,000 so I don't have a lot of sympathy. It's just not realistic. As far as his work goes I'm sure that it is good, maybe even great. Like I said before my other half's work is great and shows constantly but it does not pay our bills. I did look for his work before I posted but it is not posted in his photos. C'mon Man!

Besides the fact

JOTW,

EXACTLY!

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 17:10
It is a public forum for sure. But the energy is all yours. Matt is a friend I've never met. Yours too if you choose, I suspect. But that's not how friends talk to each other.
It's more indicative of self-righteous bullies who know the 'right' thing simply because that's how 'they' do it.

Jason of the Woods
02-23-2008, 17:14
Where I come from that is exactly the way that friends talk to each other. Otherwise you have friends who ask you for 200,000. I have been on my own since 18 and working since about 10(family business), so for me this is just ridiculous. I'm not being mean just honest. I am a friend to everyone, especially fellow artsy folks!

It is a public forum for sure. But the energy is all yours. Matt is a friend I've never met. Yours too if you choose, I suspect. But that's not how friends talk to each other.
It's more indicative of self-righteous bullies who know the 'right' thing simply because that's how 'they' do it.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 17:15
my father is a famous artist that comands 7 digit prices.

then surely dad can help you out with a measly 200 grand, no?

Survivor Dave
02-23-2008, 17:22
Man, You make a lot of sense.

I would talk to a friend HONESTLY. If I didn't, they would continue on there ways of not being responsible. Eventually they become a burden on my daily life. Yes, I help folks out, but I take care of me first. I did what Matty did, and wound up without myself.
I CAN'T CHANGE THEM. They have to want to change themselves.

Where I come from that is exactly the way that friends talk to each other. Otherwise you have friends who ask you for 200,000. I have been on my own since 18 and working since about 10(family business), so for me this is just ridiculous. I'm not being mean just honest. I am a friend to everyone, especially fellow artsy folks!

Survivor Dave
02-23-2008, 17:23
I can't wait to meet you Wolf.:D

rafe
02-23-2008, 17:24
I'd say that matty got the reaction that might be expected, announcing to the world that he was gonna get a buddy to bail his a.ss with a $200K gentlemen's loan. He could be fulla b.s. (matty?!?!) but if it were me, I'd keep that kind of news to myself.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 17:25
I can't wait to meet you Wolf.:D
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/love003.gif

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 17:26
I'd say that matty got the reaction that might be expected, announcing to the world that he was gonna get a buddy to bail his a.ss with a $200K gentlemen's loan. He could be fulla b.s. (matty?!?!) but if it were me, I'd keep that kind of news to myself.

i'm thinkin' this is total bs. :D

Survivor Dave
02-23-2008, 17:28
Your a funny guy.....Goodfellas

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/love003.gif

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 17:30
:D:):sun:p

thestin
02-23-2008, 17:33
Not sure how serious this whole thread is, but I'll add this. Bankruptcy will not take care of most of your tax issues...especially with the feds.

Survivor Dave
02-23-2008, 17:35
Party Pooper:D

Not sure how serious this whole thread is, but I'll add this. Bankruptcy will not take care of most of your tax issues...especially with the feds.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 17:35

http://thomasanderson89.tripod.com/goodfellas2.html

Survivor Dave
02-23-2008, 17:41
A classic scene!

Now we return you to our regularly scheduled program. What is it again?:D

http://thomasanderson89.tripod.com/goodfellas2.html

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 18:08
A classic scene!

Now we return you to our regularly scheduled program. What is it again?:D
That matty's likely a beautiful spirit and if he was your lifelong friend you'd be supportive of his every thought or whim, cuz that's what friends do???:):p:)

Jason of the Woods
02-23-2008, 18:12
Great point LW! The other thing that I forgot to add since I'm a pPompous A@*! It doesn't matter who says what about your art, if it doesn't sell and you can't pay your bills, just get a job! I wouldn't base your life around an opinion of one person no matter who they are. If this is BS then good for Matt! If not, Wake Up Man! Your through hike is over!

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 18:24
If not, Wake Up Man! Your through hike is over!
Makes me think of a line from a Bruce Hornsby song.
"Hey old man, how can ya stand to think that way."
You know, on a hiking site, to a fellow spirit who wants to hike.
Cheers Matty. Hope to see you on the trail.

10-K
02-23-2008, 18:46
Man, if you've got someone who'll loan you $200k go for it. I'm assuming that's how your network of friends and associates do things. Not everyone operates using the same set of values and who am I to say what you need to do.

It's not my world but hey... pass the croissants.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 18:47
Man, if you've got someone who'll loan you $200k go for it. I'm assuming that's how your network of friends and associates do things. Not everyone operates using the same set of values and who am I to say what you need to do.

It's not my world but hey... pass the croissants.
Well said.:sun

the goat
02-23-2008, 18:56
It doesn't matter who says what about your art, if it doesn't sell and you can't pay your bills, just get a job!

dude, he's got a job.

work on your reading comprehension a little; in the future it might save you from being corrected twice.

Jason of the Woods
02-23-2008, 19:07
Why are you picking fights there tough guy? I am stating a point and it is ok to say something more than once to stress a point. I will compare educations with you any time my friend. Watch your scholastic battles.

dude, he's got a job.

work on your reading comprehension a little; in the future it might save you from being corrected twice.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 19:09
Why are you picking fights there tough guy? I am stating a point and it is ok to say something more than once to stress a point. I will compare educations with you any time my friend. Watch your scholastic battles.
OOOoooohhhhh!

Alternate answer:
Yikes

Alternate answer:
:(

Heater
02-23-2008, 19:22

Besides the fact

Matthewski's Art (http://www.yessy.com/mweinstone/)

rafe
02-23-2008, 19:51
Matthewski's Art (http://www.yessy.com/mweinstone/)

D'ja check out the prices? :eek: Wonder how many he sells... :-? ;) :D :cool: :confused:

Kirby
02-23-2008, 19:58
This thread hit the gutter fast, I personally think this would actually be a civil conversation if we removed the name calling.

Jesh.

By the way, nice art.

Kirby

Jason of the Woods
02-23-2008, 20:06
Is tough guy name calling? I am merely defending myself against aggresive name calling.?

So I saw his work and honestly it's not my thing. It may be someone's thing but it's not mine. Of course I am not the biggest fan of abstract work in general. I think that it is overdone and overrated. I'll quit on that subject. One of the greatest things about art though is everyone sees it differently. I wish Matt nothing but the best with this. I hope that all of his hopes and dreams do come true. At the same time I do hope that he realizes what "hopes and dreams" are. It just worries me to see someone in such shape at such an age and "seem" to be clueless about it.....

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:09
I guess back-handed well-wishes are still well-wishes.:rolleyes:

Survivor Dave
02-23-2008, 20:12
OUCH...That'll leave a mark!:D

Jason of the Woods
02-23-2008, 20:14
Touche. I do admire your diligence my friend.

Almost There
02-23-2008, 20:18
I gotta go with Wolf that maybe this is a BS thread....I had a failed business a few years back....over 100K in debt, I have paid off about half of it to date....I have a hard time believing with that amount of debt that his credit rating has stayed above 800, after all debt to income ratio drops your credit rating like a rock...of course if most is owed to the gov't, then maybe as that is debt seen differently.

As for asking your friend for money...if you got the cajones, go for it. For me turning thirty made me make the decision not to ask my parents for money anymore...but as the saying goes..."Different Strokes for Different Folks".

Just be prepared to have the person say no or possibly be offended...lending money to friends just like renting property to friends rarely ends well.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:22
Touche. I do admire your diligence my friend.
And I admire you not taking offense.:):):sun

mweinstone
02-23-2008, 20:35
i have never had a boss. i have owned and operated my own painting buisness , licenced and insured since i was 18 i have worked since i was able. i have made every cent i ever had. i have never borrowed. my friend **** who owns insurence and helps countrys like russia insure their potato crop, asked me a year ago if he couldnt just write me a check and put me to work or help me in any way. we are close and i concider him to be a friend for life. money cannot affect our relationship evr. i love him and his family. number two. i remove aspestose and lead for a living since i was 15. i have so many cancers i dont want to know. i can fight them and have with macrobiotics and hiking and god. i will live a long life and could handle this debt just fine and am doing so. my 1099 this year is 53 k thats 9 k up from last year and the most i ever made. the reason i made that much is because im stressed and trying to pay a debt too fast. thats my nature. i have never been late on a payment of any type. i have a perfect credit score because i went to the irs. they dont make deals when you owe over 25 k. the state dosnt make deals and the city dosnt take credit cards. we have a buissness privelage tax in philly that adds 6% to independent contracters. it is currently 41 cents on the dollar to be a contractor with no deductions. i have no vehical. i buy no supplys. and i cannot deduct my son. i work until i cant lift my bike up the steps and sleep. i toss and turn. so im asking for help.i still love each and every one of you presious hiker trash. kirby you have gained the respect of the whole site and jack!

Almost There
02-23-2008, 20:44
If your friend is willing to loan you money and let you pay him back then go ahead, and feel lucky that you have such a friend. Just don't let it happen to you again in the future...that would be a betrayal of your friend...and yourself!

Good Luck!

Smile
02-23-2008, 22:23
If you borrow $200k to pay off 200K then before you even spend it you owe $400k.
Once you use the borrowed $200k to pay off the original debt of 200k, you are still $200k in debt; albeit to someone else, possibly at a lower interest rate (if any, assuming your friend is lending it N$A.)

IMHO, I think this thread has had less bashing than others who bare their dreams or schemes. Compared to, say, the "Cowboy" guy or I think there was another I recall with someone trying to raise money for something(?) that got a beating.

How about a group hug, and maybe some alternative (to borrowing) advice or ideas for Mr. Mski. I hope this all works out for you! :)

Kara
02-23-2008, 23:34
If your asking for opinions, I'll give you mine and wish you the best of luck and peace of mind.

I owe money for my home and the education I received and am, when it's all said and done, going to end up paying back more than I originally borrowed because of interest. If you can borrow that money interest and penalty free, then I say go for it....BUT...don't take advantage of your friend or the opportunity. Borrow the money to pay off the debt and work extra hours or advertise your art a few new places to finance your backpacking trip. I suggest moving somewhere that doesn't have that extra tax for contractors, and as you earn money set aside what you're going to owe in taxes as well as the money you'll owe your friend. Also, I heard someone once say to "live within your means"... Perhaps that'll help.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 23:37
If you borrow $200k to pay off 200K then before you even spend it you owe $400k.
"Not sure I agree with your (math) work there Lou. If you borrow 220K to pay off just over 100K then you still have just under 100K in hand and only owe 200K.
K?:)

Almost There
02-24-2008, 00:32
Look, personally I wouldn't ask people here on WB for "personal" financial advice, at least not in public forums. Look, you gotta do, what you gotta do, and hopefully it works out for you.

Your friends are gonna defend you

Those who have walked a difficult road are gonna give you a hard time for taking an easy way out.

Then the rest of us, are just gonna wish you the best and hope whatever your decision it works out for you.

'Nuff Said on the topic!

Jason of the Woods
02-24-2008, 00:33
I couldn't have said it better myself. Awesome. Where is Ft. Thomas?

If your asking for opinions, I'll give you mine and wish you the best of luck and peace of mind.

I owe money for my home and the education I received and am, when it's all said and done, going to end up paying back more than I originally borrowed because of interest. If you can borrow that money interest and penalty free, then I say go for it....BUT...don't take advantage of your friend or the opportunity. Borrow the money to pay off the debt and work extra hours or advertise your art a few new places to finance your backpacking trip. I suggest moving somewhere that doesn't have that extra tax for contractors, and as you earn money set aside what you're going to owe in taxes as well as the money you'll owe your friend. Also, I heard someone once say to "live within your means"... Perhaps that'll help.

Jason of the Woods
02-24-2008, 00:36
P.S. I am going to the woods tommorrow so you must continue this without me. I wish you all the best of luck!!

Kara
02-24-2008, 00:38
Basically Cincinnati...right across the river from it.

Good luck and have fun in the woods!!

rafe
02-24-2008, 00:45
Did you just not pay your taxes, matty? Like, for a long time? 'Cuz if $53K is your largest annual take, as a business, since age 18, then I have to wonder how you've accrued a $70K debt to the IRS.

I'm also wondering why you feel a need to share these fascinating but barely credible personal details with the world. Which begs the question of why I give a sh.it. Oh, never mind. Carry on.

Jason of the Woods
02-24-2008, 00:56
You Give a sh@* for the same reason as me. It's sad to here things like this, assuming that it's true, and know that people really think and act this way. I applaud Matty for making it this far(well sort of).

Did you just not pay your taxes, matty? Like, for a long time? 'Cuz if $53K is your largest annual take, as a business, since age 18, then I have to wonder how you've accrued a $70K debt to the IRS.

I'm also wondering why you feel a need to share these fascinating but barely credible personal details with the world. Which begs the question of why I give a sh.it. Oh, never mind. Carry on.

Panzer1
02-24-2008, 01:08
Good Luck Matty. I hope you get the money. I think you deserve it.

And I hope you get to thru-hike this year. I think you REALLY deserve that too.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Panzer

rafe
02-24-2008, 01:13
You Give a sh@* for the same reason as me. It's sad to here things like this, assuming that it's true, and know that people really think and act this way. I applaud Matty for making it this far(well sort of).

Well, mostly I think matty's financial difficulties (and his well-heeled friends) are none of my business, but since he started a thread about them (and they're well known on WB) I couldn't resist. It's like driving past a grisly car accident, or picking a scab. I should get a life.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 01:13

you're a bleeding heart. give the boy money. it's how you believe

Almost There
02-24-2008, 01:20
Good Luck Matty. I hope you get the money. I think you deserve it.

And I hope you get to thru-hike this year. I think you REALLY deserve that too.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Panzer

Deserve? Nobody deserves anything, you either earn what you get, or luck into it. BTW, luck can either be good or bad.

If he had bad luck and his friends want to help him, then he is "lucky" to have such friends. If he was financially foolish, then he earned where he is at today, but is still lucky that his friend is willing to help him. I wish I had a friend willing to float me a loan when my business died during a big deal. I took a big risk and it fell apart on me...stuff happens, you deal with it and moves on, our failures and ability to overcome is what makes us strong and interesting people!

Unlike some others I won't play the jealousy game as I think those who have been brutal ,perhaps wish they had a rich friend to helpt them as well.

As stated before, Matty, you are lucky to have such loyal friends, and as long as you have learned from this situation, you are already in a better place.

rafe
02-24-2008, 01:20
you're a bleeding heart. give the boy money. it's how you believe

Actually, I did write a slew of small checks this afternoon to various environmental and lobbying outfits. ATC, NRDC, Rails-to-Trails, NPCA, SPLC, LCV, Sierra Club, Greenpeace, Wilderness Society, Nature Conservancy, yadda yadda.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 01:24
Actually, I did write a slew of small checks this afternoon to various environmental and lobbying outfits. ATC, NRDC, Rails-to-Trails, NPCA, SPLC, LCV, Sierra Club, Greenpeace, Wilderness Society, Nature Conservancy, yadda yadda.

a fool and his money....

TheTank
02-24-2008, 01:40
Matty, I wish you the best of luck always. I hope that your friend does not come through with this deal. And I wish that you are discovered as the amazing artist that you are tomorrow and I hope that your works can sell for millions a piece. I know you are talented and your art is fantastic, I just hope others realize this soon so that you can feel the benefits. Too many artists are only discovered after their death, and I hope you are not one. I honestly want to see you get your fortune and do all the thing you dream of, including the seven piles, which I still need to hear about four of.

I do not know how you got in so much debt, and I do not care, you are an amazing person and deserve better and I would give you the $200,000 if I had it to give. I wish you the best of luck and wish all these folks would do the same.

Panzer1
02-24-2008, 01:50
Deserve? Nobody deserves anything, ...

Really, nobody deserves anything???

Panzer

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 01:51

Panzer
Yeah, that is a bit of a tough blanket statement to back up.

rafe
02-24-2008, 01:53
I hear strains of Janis Joplin's Mercedes Benz. Good night, campers.

Kara
02-24-2008, 01:58
No joke... sleep tight... I was just curious to see how long it was going to take for this thread to get deleted or moved...lasted longer than I thought. Best of luck to you all on your debt paying capabilities and, most importantly, your backpacking fundings!!

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 02:07
No joke... sleep tight... I was just curious to see how long it was going to take for this thread to get deleted or moved...lasted longer than I thought. Best of luck to you all on your debt paying capabilities and, most importantly, your backpacking fundings!!
Well said.
Good thread from a good soul.:sun

ed bell
02-24-2008, 02:16
Actually, I did write a slew of small checks this afternoon to various environmental and lobbying outfits. ATC, NRDC, Rails-to-Trails, NPCA, SPLC, LCV, Sierra Club, Greenpeace, Wilderness Society, Nature Conservancy, yadda yadda.CLAP..CLAP...CLap...clap.....clap.......clap ................clap.....................clap yadda yadda yadda.

Almost There
02-24-2008, 02:25

Panzer

Really! Osama Bin Laden doesn't "deserve" death. By his actions....he has earned death! Call it the rightful consequences of his actions!

Matty doesn't deserve a boatload of money, but perhaps it is part luck and part earned as he was a good friend that may get him the money....but deserved...tell me why he deserves the money, because you like him?

He seems a decent dude to me, but all the same....call it karma if you want.

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 02:30
And the award for All Time and Most Aggregious Analogy Ever award goes to . . . .

camojack
02-24-2008, 02:38
And the award for All Time and Most Aggregious Analogy Ever award goes to . . . .
Egregious is an "E" word. Just sayin'...
(Beeyotch! :D)

ed bell
02-24-2008, 02:39
i gotta agree there, even though Almost There has it about right.

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 02:40
Egregious is an "E" word. Just sayin'...
(Beeyotch! :D)
Says the guy with the Hollywood Tan (via the Big Island)
OUCH!!

Overheard from Camo at Billeville Warmer:

"OK. Who sewed my sleeping bag together."

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 02:45
i gotta agree there, even though Almost There has it about right.
Yeah - it's a good example of the message being destroyed during delivery.

Almost There
02-24-2008, 03:05

Get over it...do you even really know what Egregious means?:-?

Egregious-"conspicuously and outrageously bad or reprehensible"

This would only be the case if you "actually" think that I was comparing Matty to Osama, which I'm not, but if you thought that then you need to lay off the peace pipe.

It was an over the top analogy to drive home the point that many would say Osama deserves death...and I see it as he has earned death by his actions.

What happens to us we earn or sometimes get lucky(karma).

Heaven forbid I use Bin Laden in an analogy:eek:. C'mon guys, gimme a break!

Matty perhaps has made some bad choices with some bad luck that has gotten him where he is now-earned. Luck can also play a factor...but his actions and luck as a friend have led him perhaps to receiving help from a friend...being a good friend earned him this opportunity...and a little good luck!

And yes I can say this as I still have about 60K to pay-off from risky business choices, sometimes bad things happen to good people, we deal.

Matty, I ain't preachin' to you, I understand krap happens, you deal how you feel best.

Almost There
02-24-2008, 03:07
Yeah - it's a good example of the message being destroyed during delivery.

Message was fine, you just have a problem with how over the top I went with an example, it hits home so there is no doubt how I feel about deserved vs. earned. I teach HS kids, being over the top alot of times is the best policy to get into their hormonal little heads!:D

camojack
02-24-2008, 04:04
Says the guy with the Hollywood Tan (via the Big Island)
OUCH!!

Overheard from Camo at Billeville Warmer:

"OK. Who sewed my sleeping bag together."
Hollywood tan? Those are acquired indoors; mine's for real, such as 'tis. :banana

Anyway, if there's no room at the inn like I've been hearing, I may have to bed down in the mighty "Camobile", my conversion van.
(Where my sleeping bag should be relatively secure from errant needle and thread... :-?)

bfitz
02-24-2008, 05:50
It's funny how when you know Mattski this thread makes perfect sense and when you don't know him it can't possibly make any sense.

To the doubters...just remember, the fact that someone would even consider making such a loan (or lets call it what it is, a gift...) says a lot about what they think of the person they are giving it to. You should at least take that into account in your analysis. Do you know anyone in such a situation you would loan 200,000 dollars to? I can only think of one person...Matthewski!

P.S. Mattski, can you introduce me to your friend? I want to show him my art....

bfitz
02-24-2008, 05:54
It used to be considered a noblemans responsibility to sponsor artists. Our society has lost much because of the decline of this tradition. So what's wrong with Mathewski having a patron? Da vinci did, and we never would have heard of him otherwise.

Survivor Dave
02-24-2008, 08:23
This is the long and short of it that I learned a few years back about money.

WHEN YOU LOAN MONEY TO SOMEONE, NEVER EXPECT TO SEE IT AGAIN. Friends, family, whatever.

Then it's on the loaners conscious if they know that. I still stick by my original post.
To the person that said that they would loan them that sum of money means they must have a lot of faith in them, well, either they do or either they got conned. Shoot, $200 grand? Come on, GET REAL.

It's easy to spend other folks money isn't it?:o

SD

STEVEM
02-24-2008, 08:28
It's funny how when you know Mattski this thread makes perfect sense and when you don't know him it can't possibly make any sense.

To the doubters...just remember, the fact that someone would even consider making such a loan (or lets call it what it is, a gift...) says a lot about what they think of the person they are giving it to. You should at least take that into account in your analysis. Do you know anyone in such a situation you would loan 200,000 dollars to? I can only think of one person...Matthewski!

P.S. Mattski, can you introduce me to your friend? I want to show him my art....

I've talked to Matthew a few times on the phone and spent a half day hiking with him. It's a pleasure to know him. The apparent jibberish that he posts on Whiteblaze is actually very lucid and often wise. You need to meet him to understand.

Matt, I said this before. You should consult an attorney who deals with tax issues. I think it should be possible to negotiate something that will allow you to pay your debt and also live your life.

bfitz
02-24-2008, 08:35
This is the long and short of ot that I learned a few years back about money.

WHEN YOU LOAN MONEY TO SOMEONE, NEVER EXPECT TO SEE IT AGAIN. Friends, family, whatever.

Then it's on the loaners conscious if they know that. I still stick by my original post.
To the person that said that they would loan them that sum of money means they must have a lot of faith in them, well, either they do or either they got conned. Shoot, $200 grand? Come on, GET REAL.

It's easy to spend other folks money isn't it?:o

SDYeah, I doubt this person is expecting a return. This is someone who has known mattski for many years and has a desire to help, has asked to be able to help. Mattski knows about hard work, he's no moocher. Now, while I'm totally with you on using the word "loan" a little loosely, and the general principles you're advocating regarding friends, money and self reliance, I'd say every situation is different, and this is a unique situation, you can't judge it without knowing the people...and if mattski is bailed out of his tax problem the world will be a better place.

A word of advice to mattski...take a few of those thousands and get a good lawyer to get you the best deal on your tax pay-off.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 08:52
so many chocolate bars . so little time. well. here goes. one,..i didnt fall on hard times. ive been swimming in cash since i was born. two, my painting buisness is just fine thank you and im very proud of it. three, im not borrowing money to hike. now . lets start over with the man eating the crow. yes sir. your question? yes, i just didnt pay taxes for 6 years. and no, it wouldnt seem reasonable to be in debt for this much for just taxes. its penaltys and interest. the actuall amounts not paid are 15 % of the debt. the rest is interest and penalty. and hear me people. ive learned and studyed this problem like a bad boy. i know the rules. they arent that hard. the irs does not make deals or stope interest and penaltys untill you get under 25 thou. what part of that dont you like/ to a one , people are convinced by the comercials, that to see a lawer or to declaire bankrupsy is a way to lessen debt. it is! just not in each case! duh! and not in mine. that hurts your ears does it? well truth hurts. as stated. the city does not take credit cards. so only a lump sum can be paid. they do not make payment plans on such amounts unless the plan fits into a four year payback. its all very simple. and very on the up and up. its not some secret that only lawers know. yes their are things to do to lessen the debt of taxes. not in my case. i could get a job at macdonalds today and they would be done talking to me. never again would i have any tax problem. they would garnish my wages and it would all be wonderfull. unfortunatly,..i cannot leave the city and make a living and see my son as easily as if i stay here where the tax is high.and as far as the logic that ill owe twice as much by borrowing.....ill owe less interest and penaltys starting the first day. and my art simply is worth millions of dollars. im not egotistical and i dont like art and im not an artist. im an idiot sevant artist davinci type who is trying to change your worlds for the better. i have a messia complex. i wanna help everyone. and so does my friend that i have asked to be my patron.

Jason of the Woods
02-24-2008, 08:57
I can't believe that this is still going. What a bunch of BS....... I am going to go backpacking this morning because I have a job, pay my own bills, and am able to get away for a few days.;) I agree with the person above. Will Matty introduce the rest of us to his friend? We all have some "art" to show him. Ridiculous, I say.;)

bfitz
02-24-2008, 09:07
Matty, you still need a lawyer-type person to make sure you do it exactly right. Who is responsible and can be held accountable for doing it right so something stupid doesn't happen and come back on you. Money is complicated.

TOW
02-24-2008, 09:12
That matty's likely a beautiful spirit and if he was your lifelong friend you'd be supportive of his every thought or whim, cuz that's what friends do???:):p:)
I second that opinion, even if you agree or don't agree. It's kinda like the clan thing, I'll back my family up in the face of adversity whether they are wrong or not when they are directly opposed to and I am present. But in the end I will have a private conversation with them as well if I think that they were wrong as well.

In Matty's case, I hope whatever needs he has is met........

TOW
02-24-2008, 09:14
dude, he's got a job.

You and Weasel related?

STEVEM
02-24-2008, 09:16
Matty, you still need a lawyer-type person to make sure you do it exactly right. Who is responsible and can be held accountable for doing it right so something stupid doesn't happen and come back on you. Money is complicated.

Matt, If you accept the loan/gift/whatever from your friend and its not structured and documented properly it could be taxable. Get a lawyer!!

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 09:16
matthewski looks at jason with big smile and askes,..would you like some water? how bout a chocolate bar? wanna bo*e? matthewski is pushed by jason, a fight ensues. lone wolf pulls a tommyhawk. vicky jumps over the bar jacky chan style. pat ducks. baltimore jack tarlin is rolled over on his side and used as a human sheild. curty jumps from stool 17 and joins in with all his blubber. sue grace continues to play bobby magee. tater wakes up, walks downstairs , and stops everything in mid motion. seems taters a hero. like the tv show. he can freeze time. cool.

Jason of the Woods
02-24-2008, 09:19
OK last post. I am paying off mounting medical bills, child support, not to mention day to day bills. Does anyone want to "loan" me $100,000? See I'm easy, it's only 100. Much cheaper.:)

I don't care how nice a person is that doesn't change the fact that they should be an adult and take care of themself. I don't think that the art that I saw deserves a patron....sorry.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 09:23
you dont need a lawer to walk into three offices in the city and conveinently pay the bills. you dont need anything to be specialy documented or worried about. in fact most of you are wrong about most of the things in your heads so i dont think your lack of faith is any different. number one, its all my debt. to get it reduced is wrong. you see im not only a bible fundementalist. ii belive in the letter of law and this country. i will pay the debt in full . i will continue to look to sociaty to see what not to do. i have made myself by doing the opposite of the norm . you have made this world. not me. i have made a different one.

Survivor Dave
02-24-2008, 09:26
I agree with you bfitz.

Matthew, If and when you get the money, I would suggest that you have an attorney have complete control so it is paid back, because there might not be a next time with the IRS. If the IRS knows this I think they will be more open to your intentions of payment.

I do suggest that the lawyer set up a monthly payment plan to you for emergency expenses like your son, medical bills, and so on.

It will give you a bit more peace of mind that the debt is taken care of, THEN you can plan the Thru and carry on with your dream of being a famous artist. Your dad probably worked diligently over the years to gain his fame and fortune, you can as well. Hiking will be more enjoyable knowing that this is off your mind.

One more note. Whether it's a loan or a gift, it would be a nice sign of character if you made a valiant effort to bay it back. Be a mensch man.

SD

STEVEM
02-24-2008, 09:29
OK last post. I am paying off mounting medical bills, child support, not to mention day to day bills. Does anyone want to "loan" me $100,000? See I'm easy, it's only 100. Much cheaper.:)

I don't care how nice a person is that doesn't change the fact that they should be an adult and take care of themself. I don't think that the art that I saw deserves a patron....sorry.

Jason, The art isn't the issue. Matt is not asking for advice on how not to pay his fair share. If someone wants to help him it should not really concern any of us.

If you fell and hurt yourself in the woods, you'd be very fortunate if Matthew was the next guy to come down the trail.

bfitz
02-24-2008, 09:30
My dad "loaned" me a bunch of money one time. Then, to pay it back he gifted it to me over the course of a few years structured so the gifts payed off the loans and it was under the tax free limit. Anyway, he basically gave me the money. Maybe it's different because it's family, but we all have ways of dealing with life, and disasters that befall us, and parental figures who can sometimes bail us out. And it seems you are willing to accept the 100,000 if someone offers, so what's your beef? Do you give money to charity? How do you feel about those mooches eating for free off of your dime? Obviously, this is kinda absurd situation with the amounts of money and weird people involved, but it's still the same thing as my dad giving me that money. Right or wrong. Not everyone's dad could have done that, but I was lucky.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 09:31
im sorry honesty is not cool. im sorry being a child untill you die isnt your primary directive like it is mine. im sorry bfitz likes his girlfriends dog phil. i hate phil. it takes alot to make me hate a dog. but to me , phil is just an abusive people bitter. and if one kid gets bit by that mut, its too many. sorry,...where was i? oh yeah,...i was continuing to be one of the main reasons people like jester arent around. i belive ive drivin him off somehow. im not sure. who wants eggs?

Cindy from Indy
02-24-2008, 09:33

I avoid these idiot bickering sessions as much as possible. And, I'd like to know what any of this has to do with the Class of 2008 thread. But anyway, here is my 2 cents.

If matthewski has a dream and he shares that dream with a friend who had previously offered him finanacial backing for that then, by God, let Matt have that dream! Don't shoot the guy down. WHAT DO YOU CARE??? I would call it creative financing. :D Maybe the friend has always dreamed of being the financier of a famous artist????

I too have a dream. I'm hiking this trail and doing some extraordinary things, financially, to make that dream come true. Many feel that quitting my job and leaving my kids for 6 mos is utterly irresponsible, etc etc.....but you know what? I have to live with myself and in 20 years, if I hadn't "gone for it" and reached out for my dream, I know that I will be a bitter and unhappy individual.

Comment: I am very turned off by the bickering and slamming of each other on this site. Personal opinions are just that! Personal! This is a site promoting hiking, educating people about hiking and the sharing of hiking know-how. IMO, you should keep your comments limited to that UNLESS you are in the specific thread for other topics.

I have 56 days people and I want to soak up as much knowledge as possible from this forum.......please please please don't all you'all go negative on me!!!

Love peace respect.....Cindy from Indy:sun

Survivor Dave
02-24-2008, 09:33
We are similar in family loan background. My father passed away and I still owed him a little bit. Seeing that I could not give it to him, I decided to donate to his favorite charities equally. It does make your self esteem rise for sure.

SD

My dad "loaned" me a bunch of money one time. Then, to pay it back he gifted it to me over the course of a few years structured so the gifts payed off the loans and it was under the tax free limit. Anyway, he basically gave me the money. Maybe it's different because it's family, but we all have ways of dealing with life, and disasters that befall us, and parental figures who can sometimes bail us out. And it seems you are willing to accept the 100,000 if someone offers, so what's your beef? Do you give money to charity? How do you feel about those mooches eating for free off of your dime? Obviously, this is kinda absurd situation with the amounts of money and weird people involved, but it's still the same thing as my dad giving me that money. Right or wrong. Not everyone's dad could have done that, but I was lucky.

Jason of the Woods
02-24-2008, 09:35
First it became our concern when he posted it on here. I would say that it became public knowledge at the start of this thread. Second I would not take any money. I guess my sarcasm wasn't loud enough.

Jason of the Woods
02-24-2008, 09:36
You clicked on the thread. We didn't make you read it. Happy hiking!

I avoid these idiot bickering sessions as much as possible. And, I'd like to know what any of this has to do with the Class of 2008 thread. But anyway, here is my 2 cents.

If matthewski has a dream and he shares that dream with a friend who had previously offered him finanacial backing for that then, by God, let Matt have that dream! Don't shoot the guy down. WHAT DO YOU CARE??? I would call it creative financing. :D Maybe the friend has always dreamed of being the financier of a famous artist????

I too have a dream. I'm hiking this trail and doing some extraordinary things, financially, to make that dream come true. Many feel that quitting my job and leaving my kids for 6 mos is utterly irresponsible, etc etc.....but you know what? I have to live with myself and in 20 years, if I hadn't "gone for it" and reached out for my dream, I know that I will be a bitter and unhappy individual.

Comment: I am very turned off by the bickering and slamming of each other on this site. Personal opinions are just that! Personal! This is a site promoting hiking, educating people about hiking and the sharing of hiking know-how. IMO, you should keep your comments limited to that UNLESS you are in the specific thread for other topics.

I have 56 days people and I want to soak up as much knowledge as possible from this forum.......please please please don't all you'all go negative on me!!!

Love peace respect.....Cindy from Indy:sun

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 09:38
my father never worked dillegently. he took porno shots of women, projected a slide on a canvass, drew them and sold them to sick bastards who defile wome. their is a peice that hung over the dinner table, behind my father, titled, philatio. it was him getting a bj from the model in perfect silloett. he used people and hurt his family and was a cheating womanizer to get his wealth.

Jason of the Woods
02-24-2008, 09:40
Sounds like a successful businessman.

my father never worked dillegently. he took porno shots of women, projected a slide on a canvass, drew them and sold them to sick bastards who defile wome. their is a peice that hung over the dinner table, behind my father, titled, philatio. it was him getting a bj from the model in perfect silloett. he used people and hurt his family and was a cheating womanizer to get his wealth.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 09:41
im sorry honesty is not cool. im sorry being a child untill you die isnt your primary directive like it is mine. im sorry bfitz likes his girlfriends dog phil. i hate phil. it takes alot to make me hate a dog. but to me , phil is just an abusive people bitter. and if one kid gets bit by that mut, its too many. sorry,...where was i? oh yeah,...i was continuing to be one of the main reasons people like jester arent around. i belive ive drivin him off somehow. im not sure. who wants eggs?

why ain't your dad, who makes millions on his art, giving you the 200k? why is this in a hiking forum? it ain't funny to say you got lots of cancers when there's little kids dying daily from cancers. buncha bs matty

TOW
02-24-2008, 09:43
Jason,

If you fell and hurt yourself in the woods, you'd be very fortunate if Matthew was the next guy to come down the trail.
He'd be more than fortunate because Matty would be like a mother hen until the boy was up and hiking again making sure that his every need would be met.

Jason of the Woods
02-24-2008, 09:46
And I would do the same. I have to agree with LW on both issues though.

He'd be more than fortunate because Matty would be like a mother hen until the boy was up and hiking again making sure that his every need would be met.

bfitz
02-24-2008, 09:47
Let the psychoanalyses begin!

And btw Jason, I didn't mean to like be antagonistic, and generally I'd totally agree with you, except this particular time I don't...like I said, sometimes the same rules don't apply to every situation.

TOW
02-24-2008, 09:50
And I would do the same..
I know, so would I. And Lone Wolf too, I know this for a fact because he was like a mother hen when I was sick and he's still there looking out for me.

And I agree and disagree about what you guys are saying about Matty, I love him and Wolf with my utmost respect...........:sun

TOW
02-24-2008, 09:51
Let the psychoanalyses begin!

And btw Jason, I didn't mean to like be antagonistic, and generally I'd totally agree with you, except this particular time I don't...like I said, sometimes the same rules don't apply to every situation.
that's what i'm sayin............

bfitz
02-24-2008, 09:51
im sorry honesty is not cool. im sorry being a child untill you die isnt your primary directive like it is mine. im sorry bfitz likes his girlfriends dog phil. i hate phil. it takes alot to make me hate a dog. but to me , phil is just an abusive people bitter. and if one kid gets bit by that mut, its too many. sorry,...where was i? oh yeah,...i was continuing to be one of the main reasons people like jester arent around. i belive ive drivin him off somehow. im not sure. who wants eggs?Dude, if only you could know phil like I know him and not get your face bitten off. He's my favorite of all dogs. But I understand.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 09:55
we all must break the negetive chains of bad behavior from our parents. he was a spy, im honest. he painted porno, i paint the bible. he was a womanizer, i worship searve and protect women. i think ill be okay. i wonder if nameing this thread with the word hope was the problem. maby it should have been curse. then maby it would have been more positive. back to hiking. forget my money troubles. i can sell a couple paintings to cover that later. the point of this thread was really that im trying something crazy to deal with the debt that would have allowed me to hike too. and i never answered all the coments about how hard i tryed or didnt try to sell my art. heres a short list of my attempts. including a list of current atempts
art shows at 6 cafes over the years
show art on worlds largest pay gallery online 5 years
first friday events selling on street 6 times
contact museum directors and others numerus times
approch gallerys numerous times
individual sidewalk art sales rittenhouse square and other corners
pay photographers to produce portfollio 4 times
work daily on my art
give art away as advertizing 50 times
sold art 4 or 5 times for less than 250.00 each.

bfitz
02-24-2008, 09:58
we all must break the negetive chains of bad behavior from our parents. he was a spy, im honest. he painted porno, i paint the bible. he was a womanizer, i worship searve and protect women. i think ill be okay. i wonder if nameing this thread with the word hope was the problem. maby it should have been curse. then maby it would have been more positive. back to hiking. forget my money troubles. i can sell a couple paintings to cover that later. the point of this thread was really that im trying something crazy to deal with the debt that would have allowed me to hike too. and i never answered all the coments about how hard i tryed or didnt try to sell my art. heres a short list of my attempts. including a list of current atempts
work daily on my art

Don't forget to mention the regular work you do or they'll think you only made 500 bucks your whole life.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 09:59
work daily on my art

you're FOS :D

Survivor Dave
02-24-2008, 10:00
I have to agree with you on that Wolf. I also think that Matthew is hearing, but not listening to what others have to say.

Cancer is not a fun word to me and my family right now, but I think that you are right on target with your analogy.

SD

why ain't your dad, who makes millions on his art, giving you the 200k? why is this in a hiking forum? it ain't funny to say you got lots of cancers when there's little kids dying daily from cancers. buncha bs matty

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 10:08
dear lwolf. so i have some cancers. what? who lies about that? who? mom died of it. i got it. so the fuch what? who gives a crap about lumps spots or death. their just three words to me. would you like a cancer demonstration . and i am a bul****er. but for fun. my friends know when im dion it. and when im serious as a friggin heart attack. lets begin with the facts. im not your average bloke. im a freak for god. i love kids more than you. and i live on the floor. their . other than that my weirdest thing is my haveing never been bothered by thinking.or speaking. freely. so all the blood was spilt so we could aint spilt in vein. brother.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 10:09
dear lwolf. so i have some cancers. what? who lies about that? who? mom died of it. i got it. so the fuch what? who gives a crap about lumps spots or death. their just three words to me. would you like a cancer demonstration . and i am a bul****er. but for fun. my friends know when im dion it. and when im serious as a friggin heart attack. lets begin with the facts. im not your average bloke. im a freak for god. i love kids more than you. and i live on the floor. their . other than that my weirdest thing is my haveing never been bothered by thinking.or speaking. freely. so all the blood was spilt so we could aint spilt in vein. brother.

bs.......

rafe
02-24-2008, 10:16
Selling art is a losing battle. Tough to make a living at it. Not many do. Matty knows that. I've sold a few hundred photos... mostly for $15, $25 a pop. I've had several published -- not a dime back for me, but a free copy of the book. Big whoop. Didn't even cover the cost of supplies and gear -- not to mention the value of my time. My wife's (http://www.anny.org/2/artists/0036/000p0036.htm) parents (http://www.anny.org/2/artists/0035/000p0035.htm) are life-long artists and my wife's been adamant about my not getting more involved in that world. I enjoy creating these images, but the marketing, not so much. Nice little ego trip when you sell a piece, I guess. Guess I need to keep the day job, even tho it interferes with my hiking. :(

hopefulhiker
02-24-2008, 10:17
I think that Mweinstone and others like LW should start an AT co op cult... centered in the areas of Erwin and Damascus... Something like a scientologist cell.. Where they recruit unsuspecting hikers to do their bidding... This would solve matthews money problem and also help generate press for the AT... Good or bad press? I don't know....

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 10:21
im only curious. would proof make me more evil for haveing"flaunted " my cancer? and would you be any happyer if i keel over now? my sick and weird point is, we all are products of a sinical time. belife is beyond most of us. my story begins as a teenage prostitue and goes down from their. i really belive you think that last sentance was made up. it wasnt. i cant swear on my jesus. i cant spell and marsha starlyts cakes are way better than mine. their out of my leauge actually.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 10:22
bs meter is way up :)

Jason of the Woods
02-24-2008, 10:28
Yep. Also I don't think that cancer is ever a funny word. My family has been there too. If Matty really does have it then the best of luck. If he doesn't then he is slimier than first thought to act like he does......

bs.......

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 10:36
lw your the best. thats a funney post. remenisint of the 25 to 1 post. i am mostly comprised of bullship particals its tru . but i thaught we might change the topic to a more positive one. the idea that my art could sell at any time and its allways a possibility i could go thruhiking. and if i did , wouldnt it be fun to bet against a four time quitter? a fat bacon covered bear attractant known as the town idiot matthewski whos first hike ended at neels ?! a lazy spoiled city turd who hikes like a slug carrying minnesota smith? an idiot ? oh,...i think you'll have fun.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 10:38
lw your the best. thats a funney post. remenisint of the 25 to 1 post. i am mostly comprised of bullship particals its tru . but i thaught we might change the topic to a more positive one. the idea that my art could sell at any time and its allways a possibility i could go thruhiking. and if i did , wouldnt it be fun to bet against a four time quitter? a fat bacon covered bear attractant known as the town idiot matthewski whos first hike ended at neels ?! a lazy spoiled city turd who hikes like a slug carrying minnesota smith? an idiot ? oh,...i think you'll have fun.
estimated posts till this thread gets closed? if matthewski goes hiking will this be the new thread?the thread? the thread two? stay tunned bat watchers. same channel. same time.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 10:40
like i said, thru-hiking ain't all it's cracked up to be. you're wasting a lot of energy obsessing over just walking a trail :)

bfitz
02-24-2008, 10:41
They could be cancers of the mind, or cancers of the soul, you know, from the asbestos.

bfitz
02-24-2008, 10:43
like i said, thru-hiking ain't all it's cracked up to be. you're wasting a lot of energy obsessing over just walking a trail :)He's not the only one. Better than obsessing over rap music. Or Britney. Or work.

hopefulhiker
02-24-2008, 10:46
I think that part of the deal of thru hiking is that you are getting away from all the stuff you have to deal with in regular life... I remember hiking over some foot bridge over a big highway in Md.. It was bumper to bumper traffic below.. and I remembered what my life in Charlotte was like and I felt true joy to be walking instead of stuck in traffic somewhere...

Dances with Mice
02-24-2008, 10:47
bs meter is way up :)Yours doesn't have a Matthewski setting? I burned out a couple before I got one.

rafe
02-24-2008, 11:01
I think that part of the deal of thru hiking is that you are getting away from all the stuff you have to deal with in regular life... I remember hiking over some foot bridge over a big highway in Md.. It was bumper to bumper traffic below.. and I remembered what my life in Charlotte was like and I felt true joy to be walking instead of stuck in traffic somewhere...

A wilderness trail.. over I-70, I-90, I-84, I-87, I-91... ;)

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 11:04
under I-81

HIKER7s
02-24-2008, 11:04
I met Matt last year at Windsor Furnace shelter, I know he has (had) a job, working in building maintenence in Phila if I remember correctly. He seemed like a stand-up guy. If his post for needing 200k is true then good luck to you getting what you need Matt.

On the other hand if its bs then I thinking its amazing this thread still has us biting on it.

Hope you do get to live out the dream of the thru. Only thing is, if you really need 200k and its an issue bigger than yourself, you have to get on top of it. Whatever-however you leave the situation, it will remain when you return.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 11:21
good point. you cant take baggage on a thru. my plan is this. even if my art never sells, i make enough to pay back 25 thou a year, pay tax and live if i was starting at zero. and i still would be in a position to sell and work on my art. the hike would be for my health and mind. these last two years of dealing with and sleeping with the irs has taken a toll. i need a break no matter what. in the event i must, i will quit working for myself and take a paycheck job they can garnish. it means never being out of debt though. so i have good plans. all my eggs are not in the borrowing basket. im not a complete idiot. lwolf likes me!lol!

the goat
02-24-2008, 11:38
not picking fights big guy. let's make this easy for you:

if you state an incorrect point more than once, i will have to correct you more than once.

i don't care about your education, but i'm happy to compare with you also, friend.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 11:47
ninjagoat! attack! most people dont know that the goat isnt allowed to tell us his job. at the pentagon. and why he keeps the phisic of a navy seal. or what the 50 calbre sniper rifle is doing in his pack. or why he hangs upside down when he sleeps. be carfull. the goat guards the mailslot at the front door to make sure pizza flyers dont accumulate me thinks. lol!

Allen66
02-24-2008, 11:52
You might sell some of your ink blots if you put them in a package deal for mental health practitioners.
Maybe $4.00 for the package.
Or at least move the decimal point to the left about 3 or 4 places.
why get so defensive when you started the BS thread?

cannonball
02-24-2008, 12:14
We are similar in family loan background. My father passed away and I still owed him a little bit. Seeing that I could not give it to him, I decided to donate to his favorite charities equally. It does make your self esteem rise for sure.

SD
What you do today, you sleep with tonight.

and another one of my favorites..........an honest mans pillow is his piece of mind.

rafe
02-24-2008, 12:15

matty's not being defensive. he's toying with us. the world is his sandbox.

Almost There
02-24-2008, 12:26
Still scratchin' my head figurin' out if this really has anything to do with the class of aught eight.

That being said, a couple of the others are right, if you get the money all at once you will most definitely pay taxes on the money. There is a cap on yearly gifts of around 12K per individual. I know because my parents gave my wife and I a gift for the down payment of our first home...you woud be better getting some type of payment plan, and having your buddy gift you the maximum amount each year, and hopefully it's enough to cover payment.

As for payment plans, I have a buddy who lost his butt during the dotcom bust. He was a trader and is now a teacher paying off 100K+ debt, he is on a payment plan, and does not get his paychecks garnished, he also got some of his penalties and interests lowered. If you got something against lawyers, get over it....in some cases they really can help you!

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 13:28
Still scratchin' my head figurin' out if this really has anything to do with the class of aught eight.
!
He explained that if this all works out he will head out for a thru this year.

Appalachian Tater
02-24-2008, 13:48
Matthewski, the world is a different place now than it was when your father got rich selling porn. It's the biggest business on the internet. Morals have changed. Why don't you sell porn on the internet to get rich? You can still lunch with people like Donald Trump and Paris Hilton, they don't care where you get your money.

doggiebag
02-24-2008, 13:56
You might sell some of your ink blots if you put them in a package deal for mental health practitioners.
Maybe $4.00 for the package.
Or at least move the decimal point to the left about 3 or 4 places.
More like bird cage liners (http://www.yessy.com/mweinstone/)- though you run the risk of constipating the bird.

Almost There
02-24-2008, 14:37
He explained that if this all works out he will head out for a thru this year.

I understand that, but it really hasn't had anything to do with hiking...has it? It's a convoluted path that leads to a hike.

I ain't hatin' I wish him the best, but it sounds like alot on his plate before he can even contemplate a hike this year.

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 14:40
I understand that, but it really hasn't had anything to do with hiking...has it? It's a convoluted path that leads to a hike.

I ain't hatin' I wish him the best, but it sounds like alot on his plate before he can even contemplate a hike this year.
I hear ya, but it is hard to blame a thread starter for the direction it leads. Without all the angst and second guessing it ws simply about a soul who was trying to find a means to get to the trail.
I found my way to it also and it was costly in a way that can't be defined by money - and if I'd put that scenario out there two years ago it would have been open to the same second guessing and worse - but it still would have been about me heading out SOBO in 06.
;):)

Survivor Dave
02-24-2008, 14:41
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Almost There
02-24-2008, 14:44
I hear ya, but it is hard to blame a thread starter for the direction it leads. Without all the angst and second guessing it ws simply about a soul who was trying to find a means to get to the trail.
I found my way to it also and it was costly in a way that can't be defined by money - and if I'd put that scenario out there two years ago it would have been open to the same second guessing and worse - but it still would have been about me heading out SOBO in 06.
;):)

I hear ya back, and when I say alot on his plate, I ain't just talkin' about the money either. He should just make a committment to himself to head out and hike when this is all resolved whether it be this year, next year, or even 5 years from now.

Matty, have you set a date that you want to hike? I would suggest staying away from this until you have a timetable for how long all of this will take to resolve. Again, good luck!

surefoot
02-24-2008, 14:53
When he posted what he did about his personal life he opened himself for whatever comments he got. Good, bad, or other wise. If he does not like what he gets, keep his mouth shut!

Almost There
02-24-2008, 14:55
To be fair, Matty hasn't come out and said anything negative to anyone...now his friends defeding him...that could be viewed differently.

The Solemates
02-24-2008, 16:48
Maybe I missed in in the ensuing pages, but how did Matt get into such large debt in the first place?

OregonHiker
02-24-2008, 16:50
Maybe I missed in in the ensuing pages, but how did Matt get into such large debt in the first place?

Didn't pay his taxes for 6 years

Smile
02-24-2008, 16:54
The post I commented to was removed, so this one made no sense :)
Deleted. :

The Solemates
02-24-2008, 17:13
Didn't pay his taxes for 6 years

That's what I speculated, and so my opinion hasn't changed. It's great that he evidently has changed his behavior and is trying to work on getting out of this hole, but he deserved to be thrown into the hole in the first place due to his irresponsibility. As far as his friend giving him money, that's between him and his friend. Personally, I don't see how someone could offer him money due to his past irresponsibility, but I'm intolerant to such things. If someone was compassionate enough to offer, he should take it.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 17:13
the attention span of a whiteblazer is 8 pages. so i caved in to my friends generosity and am exsploring the idea of a friendly bail out/ patronage. who are you people? thaught police?lol! and i have the credit to borrow 135 thou from credit cards. but at too high of an interest to do much for my sitch. and who sites one case of a friend who got reductions and knows for fact that i can? witch of you has 80 hours irs phone time on a single problem? i think im clear on what gets reduced and when. it aint the first thing they do bub. only wanderer gave me the only good advise so far. he told me to ask if i couldnt do a little time to pay it off. now that at least has merit.i actually thaught we might maby discuss a thruhike i may be able to take. yes, its a very slim to none chance this year. but by asking my friend for help,...the possibility now exists. you see i want to come back and not work. just do art full time. starting at zero,...my credit can comfortably sustain me for a year. and im talking a 10 thousand dollar year. the kind i allways live. just without the giving. so im not borrowing money to not work. im not borrowing money to hike. im only getting to zero and haveing a zero interest loan. thats all ive asked for. calm down. man. me and larry could sure teach you guys about how each of us is different. tolerance friends. we all live on the same trail.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 17:18
for not repoting you do. i never didnt report.

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 17:19
Matty - if you do get to head out the trail, are you going north or south? And when do you think your dearture date is?

Appalachian Tater
02-24-2008, 17:20
You need a tax attorney to advise you and negotiate for you. You can get your debt reduced and have a payment plan instituted, regardless of whatever the IRS told you during your 80 hours of conversation with them.

Almost There
02-24-2008, 17:21

All of the words from your first post devoted to hiking or a thru-hike are in red, but you wanted to talk hiking???:-? You obviously want to hear what you want to hear, and therefore we are wasting our time even discussing this with you, don't waste space on something you have already decided you are going to do. And don't be an asshat towards those who try to give advice with very little info...you're the one who hasn't paid taxes in like six years. Your last post confirmed it, Wolf is right, your full of it!

Almost There
02-24-2008, 17:22
You need a tax attorney to advise you and negotiate for you. You can get your debt reduced and have a payment plan instituted, regardless of whatever the IRS told you during your 80 hours of conversation with them.

Tater, he wants to hear what "he" wants to hear, leave it be.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 17:28
i never said i wasnt full of it. but this one time im telling the truth.lol! and north. a nobo. a backwards walker. a crowd member. a destroyer of peace. a northbounder. one who steals cream chease packets. a filthwalker. a bacon bear attractant.fat mat on a stick. matroll. i will endevor to be a concencious hiker and be a quiet example of humillity .then ill be me in town.

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 17:32
Have a great hike Matt. Hoping to see you out there.

The Solemates
02-24-2008, 17:33
Have a great hike Matt. Hoping to see you out there.

If he shows up to hike, that is certainly the most irresponsible thing he can do, even if his friend does lend him the money.

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 17:43
If he shows up to hike, that is certainly the most irresponsible thing he can do, even if his friend does lend him the money.
Well I guess that I'm irresponsible too and likely a large percentage of the great people out there on the trail fall into that category. Certainly there's plenty of us out there that are living lives that would be so easily judged by others who are living their lives so perfectly that they can spend their extra time looking over others 'shortcomings' and judging them as they see fit.
Oddly, these same folks I've met on the trail have it going on more so than most folks I've met who are 'towing' this imaginary line that apparently gauges just how 'good' a person one is.
Folks on the trail don't bother with such judgements. They enjoy the life that they only get once.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 18:44
your wrong soulplates.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 18:55
the most iresponsible thing i can do is eat bovine injected swine products. anyway. if we cant talk hike. dont. i wanna thruhike. i can do it and all the other important things in life too. ever here the saying" high, my names mat, im not you. your you. im me. "?if i hike im bringin bacon. and im giving you some souldates. and your likeing it. and me. and then were gonna hug. and then the good witch will make us lunch . then i wanna be on the show with the suitcases. and horrible people cut down whales. and use trees for oil.their blubber.

camojack
02-24-2008, 19:02
Message was fine, you just have a problem with how over the top I went with an example, it hits home so there is no doubt how I feel about deserved vs. earned. I teach HS kids, being over the top alot of times is the best policy to get into their hormonal little heads!:D
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you teach? I hope it's not English, as "alot" is not a word...it's two of them: a lot.
(And you use that a lot)

Also, I've noticed you use "your" for you're, at least sometimes anyway; so again, I hope you're not an English teacher.

Just sayin'... ;)

Almost There
02-24-2008, 19:07
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you teach? I hope it's not English, as "alot" is not a word...it's two of them: a lot.
(And you use that a lot)

Also, I've noticed you use "your" for you're, at least sometimes anyway; so again, I hope you're not an English teacher.

Just sayin'... ;)

I know, texting has made my grammar worse. No, I'm a history teacher, and that's why I always received A's on history papers and B's on Literature ones. Keep in mind, however, that I spell check important stuff, these threads...ah well, I ain't(just for you!) anal about that stuff.:D

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 19:08
(And you use that a lot)

Just sayin'... ;)
Some pretty aggregious spelling that's for sure.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

neighbor dave
02-24-2008, 19:12
:-?better off being your own man than begging for dead presidents.
better to live on your feet than to die on your knees.
i was told by my dad years and years ago, what ever you do, do it good, and don't shame the family name.:-?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=305vRNoofr8

camojack
02-24-2008, 19:18
I know, texting has made my grammar worse. No, I'm a history teacher, and that's why I always received A's on history papers and B's on Literature ones. Keep in mind, however, that I spell check important stuff, these threads...ah well, I ain't(just for you!) anal about that stuff.:D
It's all good. I have no problem with ain't, BTW; it's in the dictionary...and has been for years.
(Decades?)

Texting is an entirely separate proposition, but I know what you're saying. :)

Some pretty aggregious spelling that's for sure.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif
No piling on!!! :eek:

bfitz
02-24-2008, 19:32
Solemates et al.....

Dudes, I doubt mattski's failure to pay taxes was irresponsible, I think obliviousness is a defense against irresponsibility. And from what I know mattski does have a repayment plan and it's 1800 dollars a month and he's been paying it. He makes too much money at his job to rate a minimum payment plan like the one tater suggests and even at the rate he's paying it will never be paid off, just a lifetime of 1800 a month or whatever it is. If he wanted to be the degenerate some portray him as in this thread he could easily wriggle out of this debt if he quit his job, got some sort of low-paying job with a garnishable paycheck and he wouldn't have to pay anywhere near as much since they can only garnish a maximum of something like 6 or 10 per cent of your paycheck. That would add up to like 50 bucks a month or something and he would never actually pay the debt off, just satisfy the letter of the law. But he doesn't want to do that, he wants to pay honorably, wants to keep his business (at which he works as hard as anyone I know and makes good money!!! doubters please take note of this fact...) so he can build a better life and have money to help out his son go to college, etc etc. This tax thing has buried his life's progress in red tape and debt. He makes plenty of money to hike, but if he does he stops drawing pay, misses his 1800 a month "payment plan" arrangement, and ends up back at square one with more penalties. An interest free loan from a millionaire friend he can pay back in a few years with his current business (again take note...he makes good money, but the IRS is paralyzing his progress. If he was a deadbeat and didn't work the IRS would stop bothering him because he would fall into the legally protected category of too poor to pay. Selling his art is a pipedream and he probably knows that, and he would still work until his art took off if it was really gonna do that and he knows that too. And anyone who knows him knows he's not a mooch and is in fact the diametrical opposite. Make an effort to see that each of your objections may have some mitigator you haven't considered.

Appalachian Tater
02-24-2008, 19:36
If he's able to pay $1800 a month, then they're not going to deal. They only deal if they think you can't pay what you owe. Why should they?.

If he did file returns, then how was he oblivious?

I know someone who makes $10 or $20 K more than what Matthewski reported last year, who owed less, but in the same ballpark, and got a settlement of approximately 50%, waived fines and accumulated interest, a repayment plan of $200+ a month, I don't remember the exact amount. This was two years ago. Policies may have changed.

bfitz
02-24-2008, 19:46
If he's able to pay $1800 a month, then they're not going to deal. They only deal if they think you can't pay what you owe. Why should they?.

If he did file returns, then how was he oblivious?

I know someone who makes $10 or $20 K more than what Matthewski reported last year, who owed less, but in the same ballpark, and got a settlement of approximately 50%, waived fines and accumulated interest, a repayment plan of $200+ a month, I don't remember the exact amount. This was two years ago. Policies may have changed.
I agree with you that there is probably some kind of payoff arrangement possible and mattski is a bit stubborn about the idea that there is legal/professional help that could arrange this, but even with such a deal, (and forgive me matt but you're not a professional in this area and until I hear it from the mouth of your attorney I'll continue to believe that something along these lines can help) if it was even possible, he would still owe considerable money and the overall scenario would be the same with the numbers changed.

TOW
02-24-2008, 20:26
When he posted what he did about his personal life he opened himself for whatever comments he got. Good, bad, or other wise. If he does not like what he gets, keep his mouth shut!
ah horsecrap!!!!!

TOW
02-24-2008, 20:31
(And you use that a lot)

Just sayin'... ;)
what about alto?

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 20:36
i was only going to get a lawer when i couldnt take it any more. i can last a while longer. and i dont care what hapens as long as the possibility of one day being at zero exists. it almost dosnt at this point. and dude, the 1800 is only the fed plan. my city tax of 39 thou is non negotiable. i must pay it all. or get it below 25 for the penaltys and interest to stop and to have a second plan. and im current with the state but its time to pay all three one more year again. all i was thinking when i did this thing of asking for a loan was of getting back to zero before i die. with my payments and current tax, their is no deal to make. it adds up to more than i have. all you can do is take leins and get sued and get bad credit and keep paying and spend alot of your days worrieing. ive made worse mistakes than this and gotten out. ill be fine. i got god with me. relax. it was a thread about hope. guess we know what not to talk about next time. i feel bad for troubeling folks. sept lwolf. he never bothers himself with my bs.

camojack
02-24-2008, 20:50
i was only going to get a lawer when i couldnt take it any more. i can last a while longer. and i dont care what hapens as long as the possibility of one day being at zero exists. it almost dosnt at this point. and dude, the 1800 is only the fed plan. my city tax of 39 thou is non negotiable. i must pay it all. or get it below 25 for the penaltys and interest to stop and to have a second plan. and im current with the state but its time to pay all three one more year again. all i was thinking when i did this thing of asking for a loan was of getting back to zero before i die. with my payments and current tax, their is no deal to make. it adds up to more than i have. all you can do is take leins and get sued and get bad credit and keep paying and spend alot of your days worrieing. ive made worse mistakes than this and gotten out. ill be fine. i got god with me. relax. it was a thread about hope. guess we know what not to talk about next time. i feel bad for troubeling folks. sept lwolf. he never bothers himself with my bs.
What a tax attorney might be able to do is get them to eliminate and/or reduce the penalties and interest.

Then it'd be much easier to pay the taxes. Think upon it...

what about alto?
What about it? :D Yes, it's a word, in more than one language even...like in Espaņol, for example.
(Or maybe it's one way that a dyslexic can misspell "alot"? :confused::eek:;))

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 20:54
jack i took a dump in the sailboats head. i came to go to church and you were gone and i had to go.

mweinstone
02-24-2008, 20:56
cammo jack! cammo jack! cammo jack!

camojack
02-24-2008, 20:59
jack i took a dump in the sailboats head. i came to go to church and you were gone and i had to go.
I don't believe a word of it. :cool:

Appalachian Tater
02-24-2008, 21:06
i was only going to get a lawer when i couldnt take it any more. i can last a while longer. You need help now, not later. Seriously. Four times your highest ever annual income owed to various tax-collectors should be a clear signal.

and dude, the 1800 is only the fed plan. my city tax of 39 thou is non negotiable. i must pay it all. or get it below 25 for the penaltys and interest to stop and to have a second plan.Then you should be trying to borrow $14,000 at a reasonable rate of interest to get it below $25K. That should be your goal with that.

and im current with the state but its time to pay all three one more year again. Aren't you supposed to be making quarterly payments? That would help keep you from getting into trouble again.

Also, if you want to sell your artwork, it has to be displayed where people can see it. My favorite hole-in-the wall P.R. rice & beans restaurant has works by different artists that are for sale and change monthly and sometimes the cards do change to "SOLD". I haven't been to Philadelphia in a couple of years but I can think of a couple of dozen places that would be perfect for that. Surely there are some that already do that and then there are others that wouldn't mind having some of your work up on the wall. You seem to be the kind of guy that could inspire people to hang your stuff.

The other thing you already know is that financially successful artists throughout history have created what their clients wanted to buy in order to make money. People don't buy it if they don't like it.

Also, if you are expecting $2,000 artworks to pay off your debts, you need to sell 100 of them. Or you could sell 500 at $400 each. It would probably be easier to do something closer to the latter than the former. Of course, those examples assume you don't pay taxes on the income, which got you into trouble in the first place.

I do hope it all works out well for you. Keep us posted.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 21:45

he sold 50 Ks of heroin and inadvertantly declaredctaxes

10-K
02-24-2008, 21:53
This thread is surreal.

Appalachian Tater
02-24-2008, 21:55
This thread is surreal.Welcome to Matthewski's World.

bfitz
02-24-2008, 21:57
This thread is surreal.Yeah, Lone Wolf just used a 4 syllable word.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 21:59
dot's.,....

Almost There
02-24-2008, 22:02
The only thing that would finish it is if Wolf used the term "surreal".

The Solemates
02-24-2008, 22:13
Solemates et al.....

Dudes, I doubt mattski's failure to pay taxes was irresponsible, I think obliviousness is a defense against irresponsibility.

Obliviousness is not a defense; it is irresponsibility. The IRS would agree.

Besides, he has already stated he isn't oblivious. He claims he reported taxes.

An interest free loan from a millionaire friend he can pay back in a few years with his current business (again take note...he makes good money, but the IRS is paralyzing his progress.

The IRS is not paralyzing anything. He paralyzed himself when he got into this mess. And thru-hiking would certainly paralyze his progress even further.

And, if he were to accept help from a friend at 0 percent interest, if he is truly a good guy, don't you think he should immediately try to pay back his friend? Even if his friend "says" no payment is necessary? Wouldn't thru-hiking the next year, as he has stated his intentions may be, be irresponsible? He has already claimed he makes over $50K a year but lives on only $10K. If this is true, and if he has $200K in debt, it would take only 5 years to pay off the dept to his friend. Don't you think that after 5-6 years would be a good time to thru-hike? And not abandon his self-professed principles by thru-hiking immediately and not paying his friend?

bfitz
02-24-2008, 22:37
Obliviousness is not a defense; it is irresponsibility. The IRS would agree.

Besides, he has already stated he isn't oblivious. He claims he reported taxes.

The IRS is not paralyzing anything. He paralyzed himself when he got into this mess. And thru-hiking would certainly paralyze his progress even further.

And, if he were to accept help from a friend at 0 percent interest, if he is truly a good guy, don't you think he should immediately try to pay back his friend? Even if his friend "says" no payment is necessary? Wouldn't thru-hiking the next year, as he has stated his intentions may be, be irresponsible? He has already claimed he makes over $50K a year but lives on only $10K. If this is true, and if he has $200K in debt, it would take only 5 years to pay off the dept to his friend. Don't you think that after 5-6 years would be a good time to thru-hike? And not abandon his self-professed principles by thru-hiking immediately and not paying his friend?
Probably, all good points, anyway. I don't know all the details and ramifications and I know some of this situation is still blurry and possibly exaggerated a bit. I just think your tone is overly judgemental. Sometimes it's hard to see precisely where equity lies, that's all I'm saying.

Bearpaw
02-24-2008, 22:49
Yeah, Lone Wolf just used a 4 syllable word.

Even better, inadvertently is 5 syllables!

Go Lone Wolf!!:clap Don't blame it on the booze. We all know you're more eloquent than you let on.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-24-2008, 22:56
::: Dino peeks over trifocals and reminds everyone that this forum is for 2008 hopefuls to plan thru hikes :::

Please give tax advice to Matt via PMs

Appalachian Tater
02-24-2008, 23:00
::: Dino peeks over trifocals and reminds everyone that this forum is for 2008 hopefuls to plan thru hikes :::

Please give tax advice to Matt via PMsSupposedly it has already been established that this somehow relates directly to Matthewski's 2008 thru-hike and his planning for it.

bfitz
02-24-2008, 23:05
Hmmmm......aren't you possibly being a bit too strict on this one FD? I mean this thread is specifically about mattski hoping to hike in 08 and the tax advise goes toward making that possible. And I mean it's not like this thread has anywhere else to go. Unless you mean this whole thread needs to move or something...? Not like it wont die soon anyway. Unless it takes on "the thread" type longevity. ::: Dino shudders at the thought :::.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-24-2008, 23:14
Actually, I'm saying something to try to avoid having to move this thread.... I want to leave it here for Matt to plan his hike.

bfitz
02-24-2008, 23:37
Actually, I'm saying something to try to avoid having to move this thread.... I want to leave it here for Matt to plan his hike.You mean like gear and mail drops? He's had all that planned since he was like 16. The only thing that still needs resolved is the taxes.

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 23:55
Actually I'd like to hear about Matty's plans for the trail. How long he's wanted to thru, what he is looking forward to - the meaning of it in his life.
What say Matt?:sun

Heater
02-25-2008, 01:12
I like bacon too.

Panzer1
02-25-2008, 01:58
baconnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!

Panzer

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 01:59
The first person to invent an authentic tasting bacon flavored beer will surely never again worry about finances.

Wonder
02-25-2008, 07:52
I'm not getting involved in this banter and further then to say this. Matty works very hard, he is passionate about his art and the trail. He gives to thoses he loves and cares for.....even those he doesn't know. He's saved my arse before. However you view it....he is an angel on earth.
So, he messed up, and I've seen him do what he can to make it right. If he can get help.....TRUST ME there is no one in this world more deserving.

TOW
02-25-2008, 09:05
i was only going to get a lawer when i couldnt take it any more. .
Alright Matty, I'm going to have to step up on the batters plate here. That is pure bs, some things you need a lawyer for and buisiness and tax law is one of them. A good tax attorney knows all the loopholes that you are just now learning. Get a lawyer Matty and you'll quit getting raked over these very hot coals.........

mweinstone
02-25-2008, 09:05
shut up wonder. and happy frikkin birthday baby! im an assho. my prob shoulnt have been aired out here. my bad. ill go back to sucking. shelters suck. boots suck. filters suck. pick one.

TOW
02-25-2008, 09:09
The first person to invent an authentic tasting bacon flavored beer will surely never again worry about finances.
or a chicken tasting beer, i'm sure i'd drop off the band wagon for that one.........

Lone Wolf
02-25-2008, 09:09
boots are alright

TOW
02-25-2008, 09:13
shut up wonder. and happy frikkin birthday baby! im an assho. my prob shoulnt have been aired out here. my bad. ill go back to sucking. shelters suck. boots suck. filters suck. pick one.
GET A LAWYER NOW!

Or I'm not giving back your "Matthewski" shirt when you come home....

NICKTHEGREEK
02-25-2008, 09:20
200 is how he spells 70

Wonder
02-25-2008, 09:55

I'll take "Filters Suck" for $200, Alex:D
Take your life back Matty. Ask Dino to close the thread......otherwise I'll have to go on about how much I love you!!:sun

Panzer1
02-25-2008, 11:25
i was only going to get a lawer when i couldnt take it any more.

Couldn't you find someone to help who isn't a laywer. Like maybe a accountant or a para legal or just a tax expert.

Panzer

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2008, 11:41
Couldn't you find someone to help who isn't a laywer. Like maybe a accountant or a para legal or just a tax expert.

PanzerIt has to be a lawyer, CPA, or Enrolled Agent, which is basically an ex-IRS employee. Matthewski needs a good, assertive tax attorney.

MoodyBluer
02-25-2008, 12:05
It has to be a lawyer, CPA, or Enrolled Agent, which is basically an ex-IRS employee. Matthewski needs a good, assertive tax attorney.

I'm a CPA in public practice and while I do not have time at the moment to delve into all the details re: alleviating all of mattskis issues here, I will say that when one has not filed a return in a number of years that the best course of action is to gather data to file the returns in question, file them and fix the principal amount of tax owed and negotiate on the penalties which the service can be flexible with. Interest on the debt is fixed by Congress and cannot be negotiated. Payment plans are usually very flexible, but time is usually of the essence when negotiating.

I have not read this thread extensively so don't know the details about why Matty didn't file but that will have a lot to do with whether or not the service is willing to negotiate on the penalties or not. Illnesses, financial hardships, etc...are grounds for negotiation.

Ignoring them after they've sent you repeated notices wanting you to file because they have a 1099 or w-2 on file for you in the year in question is asking for trouble.

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2008, 12:13
I'm a CPA in public practice and while I do not have time at the moment to delve into all the details re: alleviating all of mattskis issues here, I will say that when one has not filed a return in a number of years that the best course of action is to gather data to file the returns in question, file them and fix the principal amount of tax owed and negotiate on the penalties which the service can be flexible with. Interest on the debt is fixed by Congress and cannot be negotiated. Payment plans are usually very flexible, but time is usually of the essence when negotiating.

I have not read this thread extensively so don't know the details about why Matty didn't file but that will have a lot to do with whether or not the service is willing to negotiate on the penalties or not. Illnesses, financial hardships, etc...are grounds for negotiation.

Ignoring them after they've sent you repeated notices wanting you to file because they have a 1099 or w-2 on file for you in the year in question is asking for trouble.Somehow he filed but didn't pay for six years and the chicken just came home to roost.

HIKER7s
02-25-2008, 12:14

I guess stoves are ok.:confused:

MoodyBluer
02-25-2008, 12:19
Somehow he filed but didn't pay for six years and the chicken just came home to roost.

If he had filed but didn't pay for six years then the chickens would have come home to roost long before now unless he filed all 6 years returns fairly recently.

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2008, 12:31
If he had filed but didn't pay for six years then the chickens would have come home to roost long before now unless he filed all 6 years returns fairly recently.It is definitely a surreal world he inhabits. But at this point he only has one chicken.

Almost There
02-25-2008, 12:33
If he had filed but didn't pay for six years then the chickens would have come home to roost long before now unless he filed all 6 years returns fairly recently.

Oh what do you know:D...he's spent hours and hours on the phone with the IRS!!

Wonder
02-25-2008, 12:36
he that hath no sins, may cast the first stone

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2008, 13:01
a rolling stone gathers no moss

Wonder
02-25-2008, 13:02
very true!

10-K
02-25-2008, 13:34
There's got to be a way to interject Brittany Spears into this thread. Give me a minute....

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 14:08
There's got to be a way to interject Brittany Spears into this thread. Give me a minute....
'Oops, he did it again. . .'

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gif

the goat
02-25-2008, 14:23
GET A LAWYER NOW!

dude, are you related to the weasel?

A-Train
02-25-2008, 14:34
dude, are you related to the weasel?

Rumor has it Weasel is looking into doing some pro-bono work for the Mattski, under the condition that LW apologizes for his sins and Jack visits SoCal for a Macallen.

eventidecu
02-25-2008, 15:39
OK I haven't read the last few pages because I can't stomach it anymore. He is full of BS. Why anyone would post a thread like this to start with is stupid. He's just whining about how he owes all this money looking for attention. "Poor little me, should I go and get my buddy to give me 200k? Pity Pity" So what. Dude we don't care that your daddy "commands 7 figures" for his art, if so you would be talking to him instead of us unless you've tapped that out already too. Or that you have a friend that will drop 200k on you. Sounds like your either bragging or just nuts. To the others all playing their fiddles for him, 1) although he states his credit score is 800 ( bragging ) or better because he always pays his bills? Apparently NOT! This wouldn't be an issue 2) He didn't pay his taxes for 6 years! You do that ON PURPOSE! But then says he doesn't want to negotiate the amount down because it's "his debt" and wants to be responsible for it because he owes it. ( wants a "pat" on the back ) 3) He says he follows the law to the letter, he didn't pay his taxes for 6 years on purpose! 4) He made 53k last year mopping up dangerous materials and apparently does so SO recklessly that he said he has illnesses that he doesn't want to know about, HUH? Thats just STUPID! (feel sorry for me) Like LW said most of his threads are BS and this is one of them. He's an idiot stumbling around in his own little "pity me" world looking for attention. Dude grow up, your a middle aged man ridding a bike, intentionally breaking the law by not paying your taxes. Bragging that you have a buddy that could bail you out of your own bad decision to buck the man and not pay your taxes, aka BILLS. What did you expect? If you make 50k a year killing yourself, (Which would be hard to do by todays safty standards, unless you don't follow them), by the way another stellar "decision", You should be able to live on that and puch your art. And if not,, I'm sure it's due to more poor decisions. (See a trend here?) Why would you admit screwing your life up this bad much less host your own "pity party" about it. Don't buy it for a minute. You can't be that stupid. Your just self promoting having a pity party so people will fill sorry for you and seek out an buy your art so you can quit your job or simply just in desperate need for attention looking to see who will take up for you, or both. Best of luck to you and I mean it but this crap doesn't make sense. If your buddy will give you the money then I say take it, he's a good guy and it's his decision to spend it on you not mine nor none of my biz. But the longer this thread goe's makes you look like an even bigger loser.

Johnny Thunder
02-25-2008, 16:38
Well now! I sure am glad that all of you decided to weigh in on this one. Your opinions have been noted and/or ignored and/or argued upon at great length. Hope all have had fun. It's been real for me, I'll tell you that much.

Let's iron some things out...

First and foremost: No one is without fault. I realized this when I noticed that more than one of Matthewski's greater critics had admitted to dealing with finanical issues and debt in the past and how they had been bailed out by others. Other people shared stories of how they'd pulled themselves out of financial quagmire by their own hard work and perseverance. WOOT WOOT! Milk and cookies all around!

So back to the faults...Matthewski clearly has no mind for money. I mean this seriously, the dude looks at money in hand (or in pocket/bank account/etc) as sin. This isn't a joke. Everyone who has been on the receiving end of his "magic" over the past year knows (or at least knows now) that such giving came at great risk. But, still he thinks nothing of this. The guy lives like a friggin' monk in the city so that he can go drop thousands on the trail every season. And boy does he ever spread it around! The word "selfless" comes to mind. To list the litany of good deeds he has accomplished in our past year of friendship would be a disservice to the giving.

As Wonder said "He's an angel on earth"

Continuing on the faults...giving he is. Self-censoring he is not. That said, when Matthewski posted to this forum I believe that he was posting to his friends. Not to a bunch of hyper-sensitive whiners. I mean we're all guilty of viewing the world through our own skew but, whoa, have these attacks been mean-spirited. I know this is a public forum...and he should too; however, these people that have gone to bat for this guy, most of whom are respected individuals here, those are the folks he was reaching out to when sharing this private information.

So, the rest of you can all lob **** at the guy. Or offer friendly advice. Maybe a well wish or two. It doesn't matter.

Because in the end, this isn't worth arguing. We all view this situation through our own tinted lens. Those who slung profanity and hatred should think about what it was that motivated them to do so.

mweinstone
02-25-2008, 17:06
i filed all six years on the same day two years ago. its why i quit hiking in parisburg va and came home. to settel my debt. and the reason i filed is cause i want to be honest. and the reason i never filed up till then is cause it was the first time i ever worked on the books for so much and i thaught i could pay later with penaltys and taxes. yes . stupidly thaught without looking into what such a foolish move would do to me. and my motovation was gambeling. gambeling that my art was about to take off. yes. a stupid unfounded decision. the art world dosnt work like that and i know it. i wait for it. it dosnt wait for me. my art is ahead of its time. i dont know by how much. i gambled it was right around the corner. my art is worth money. its not like you think. that art is worth what people pay for it. sorry. i know differently and ive allways known i would have no trouble with money. and even now. i dont call this a life threatening problem. i play the end game. im not concerned with the here and now. nor are both my feet in this world. im following someone who told me to be dead to this world. i will pay my taxes like everyone else . asking a friend for this is reletive. relitive to wealth. relative to freindship. their is never any risk to giving. giving away my last breath to save a stranger is my highest goal. all is paid back a hundred fold . and takers pay double that.times infinity.

mweinstone
02-25-2008, 17:13
soooooo,...ive added bags to keep my feet warm . if i go.

yeah,...i didnt think yall wanted to talk hiking and hope. its all too upseting? me in debt planning a hike and borrowing money for tax? all while eating bacon and butter on grilled cheese with peanut butter and butter? yes.breath everyone. knowing me is going to upset alot of folks. some of you may wanna back out now. when my art sells is my favorite prefix! psyckyboo!

Alligator
02-25-2008, 17:17
Don't let 'em get you down Matt:sun.

mweinstone
02-25-2008, 17:31
duplicat post

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2008, 17:36
Just in case no one has hugged you today
::: Dino curls loving tail around Matt and gives him some serious snuggles :::