PDA

View Full Version : Need a convenient pick up point

Mrs Baggins
02-23-2008, 17:41
I'll be out on the AT for a couple of weeks starting at Springer. My husband will be picking me up at the end of the time and I need to find a very easy convenient place for the two of us to meet up somewhere between Standing Indian Campground and possibly as far north as Wayah Gap. (I'm not real fast and plan a zero day here and there)....He'll be driving our little Mazda 6 sedan so real rugged forest roads are out. And cell phone coverage needs to be good in case we mess up on getting connected. I need a safe place to sit and wait if I get there first. Help!!!:confused:

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 15:59
U.S. 64, Winding Stair gap

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2008, 16:09
Wolf is right, this is a perfect spot.

Also, keep in mind that very friendly local Ron Haven does FREE shuttles from Winding Stair into Franklin several times a day, so you might to met your husband at one of Ron's motels, like the Sapphire Inn (828) 524-4406. This way, if he gets down there first to meet you, he'll have a nice play to stay all set. Or if YOU get there first, you can get a safe, free ride into town and meet your husband at the motel.

CrumbSnatcher
02-24-2008, 18:55
23,000 plus posts,and even more miles between them. advice priceless,...have a great hike.

KG4FAM
02-24-2008, 21:30
Rock gap would work if you don't want to go into town. The shelter is right up the trail from the parking lot. I believe Ron Haven goes up there as well for no charge,