PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad Question

Dom1215
02-23-2008, 19:23
I am going on a week long A.T. backpacking trip with a few of my friends. I still need to get a sleeping pad, but I am not sure what kind I should invest in. I've been told by the director of a camp that I work at that I should invest in a very nice inflatable thermarest sleeping pad. All of the people that I have asked at the camp say that for a week long backpacking trip a thermarest inflatable pad is absolutely not necessary, just some sort of a sleeping barrier to put between me and the cold ground. All of the people I have asked have been on the A.T. I'm curious about all of your opinions, and whether I need to spend so much money.

shelterbuilder
02-23-2008, 19:29
I am going on a week long A.T. backpacking trip with a few of my friends. I still need to get a sleeping pad, but I am not sure what kind I should invest in. I've been told by the director of a camp that I work at that I should invest in a very nice inflatable thermarest sleeping pad. All of the people that I have asked at the camp say that for a week long backpacking trip a thermarest inflatable pad is absolutely not necessary, just some sort of a sleeping barrier to put between me and the cold ground. All of the people I have asked have been on the A.T. I'm curious about all of your opinions, and whether I need to spend so much money.

How cold are the nights likely to be? How cold do you sleep? How warm is your sleeping bag?

If it's a 3-season trip, you can probably get by with just a blue 3/8 inch thick pad from your local WallyWorld. If it's a winter trip, you could put 2 of these pads together for a total of 3/4 inch of insulation and be comfortable.

It depends on how you sleep - warm or cold. Can you buy a cheap blue pad and try it out in the back yard under conditions similar to those which you will have on your trip? Then you'd know for sure.

Lyle
02-23-2008, 19:32
I would go to K-Mart or Wally World and get one of their generic blue closed cell foam pads. Much lighter than a thermarest and MUCH cheaper (bout 6 or 7 bucks). When are you going? where? If it's a summer hike, you will probably need only a 3/4 length pad, so can save some more weight and bulk by just cutting it down. You then use your pack or rain gear under your legs to keep them off the ground.

This will not be as luxuriously comfortable as a Thermarest inflatable, but someone your age should have no problems. Plus you will probably be so tired at the end of the day, that you will sleep fine.

hopefulhiker
02-23-2008, 19:35
I would go with the blue pad too. unless, you plan to do a lot of extended hiking and want to invest in something for long term use.. If you are young the blue pad will be fine..You can cut it down to your height too...

Dom1215
02-23-2008, 19:39
We're actually starting our hike on March 1st (We're having breakfast in Gatlinburg, TN and then starting off our hike).

I am from Michigan, and the weather is nothing like it is down there. There is about 3 feet of snow in my backyard and the temperature ranges anywhere from 0 to -5 windchill.

Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it.

gungho
02-23-2008, 19:42
It really comes down to personal preference as well as comfortability. You also have to take into account,how cold it is going to be and what other equipment you have,(sleeping bag,tent,etc)

Lyle
02-23-2008, 20:04
We're actually starting our hike on March 1st (We're having breakfast in Gatlinburg, TN and then starting off our hike).

I am from Michigan, and the weather is nothing like it is down there. There is about 3 feet of snow in my backyard and the temperature ranges anywhere from 0 to -5 windchill.

If you're a cold sleeper, or even if not, you might want to buy an extra blue pad and double them up this early in the year. One full length, one 3/4 should work ok.

mudhead
02-23-2008, 20:25
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39064999&memberId=12500226

They have gone up in price again! I gotta find me some sale pricing.

I have an old inflatable. I have gotten my money's worth many times over out of it. But it is heavy. Use it every time I sleep in the back of the truck.

take-a-knee
02-23-2008, 20:30
I reccomend a Cascade Designs Ridge Rest, 14oz, about 25$. If you are a wuss like me or if you ever go somewhere frozen add a short Prolite 3 thermarest on top of the ridgerest.

mrburns
02-23-2008, 20:47
You don't "need" to spend a lot of money... If you want to spend less, then blue foam is great, spent 21 days on two of those, not bad at all... for a little more money and a little more comfort on bumpy terrain you can try the Therma-Rest Z-Lite... light weight, and relatively cheap.

I tried the Ridge Rest, and in my opinion it was horrible and if it weren't for the minimal insulation it provided, I'd have been better off directly on the ground... I'd say buy blue foam before bothering with this one. (some people like it though... so obviously it's a personal preference)

I don't recommend any 3/4 length pad... foam, inflatable, or otherwise... They're lighter weight, but your feet will almost always get cold with a 3/4 length no matter how creative you get trying to cobble together an extension from your other gear.

If you have a little extra money, a full length inflatable mattress is well worth the expense and extra weight... It will be way more comfortable on any terrain, I always use one. I don't even own a bed... I sleep on my living room floor on my Thermarest Prolite-4 :-)

Blissful
02-23-2008, 21:04
Depends on you, your back, how comfortable you want to be, etc. You're young though. Something like a z rest would probably do you just fine. And I'm sure this won't be your only backpacking trip.

No Belay
02-23-2008, 21:22
The Wal mart pads are 4 season capable and a therma-rest is better for warmer weather unless you get one of the insulated models (heavy). A regular Therma-rest allows air circulation under you and can get pretty cool on cold or frozen ground. I use one of the blue pads or thinner closed cell ensolite pads all the time and when they tear or compress you can just drop it at a recycle bin and buy a new one for $6.

Alligator
02-23-2008, 21:24
I use a thermarest. I moved up to a Prolite 4 from the thinner size because I was uncomfortable side sleeping. I have read that other folks prefer thicker pads too when side sleeping, but I don't know how comfortable you might be on a foam pad if you are a side sleeper. When I was your age I was fine with a Ridgerest.

rafe
02-23-2008, 21:30
If you want the cheapest or lightest solution, go with a closed-cell pad (Ensolite, or the Ridge-Crest, or Z-Rest.) These are also probably best for winter use. OTOH, for comfort, I'd go with an inflatable. I'm in advanced middle age, mildly concerned about the weight of my gear, so I use a Thermarest Prolite 3 shorty.

bigcranky
02-23-2008, 21:39
When I was your age, a simple cheap closed cell foam pad was fine. I got mine free courtesy of Uncle Sam. The Wally World blue foam pad should be fine.

The expensive Thermarests have two advantages: they are more compact, and can be more comfortable. They are also much more expensive, heavier, and prone to the occasional puncture. When you get older, you might want to move in that direction. I now use a full-length Prolite 4 Thermarest when I'm sleeping on the ground.

Get the cheap foam pad. It'll be fine.

Lellers
02-23-2008, 21:41
Ahhh, when I was 20, I could sleep on anything. Now I'm 26 years past that mark, plus spinal stenosis and a herniated disk. I use a Thermarest and consider it absolutely necessary. I need it in order to be able to walk the next day (along with Vitamin I).

But generally, for the young and healthy, the inexpensive blue foam is just fine.

Dom1215
02-23-2008, 22:27
Thank you all so much!
I did not expect this much feedback :)

I have been wandering through this community for a while and all of the tips/tricks/advice from more experienced hikers has been wonderful when it comes to my own packing/knowledge for this hike.

10-K
02-23-2008, 22:43

Which way are you going? I'm coming through there and should be crossing Newfound Gap on the 1st. Weather is looking good so far.

Just to stay on topic, this is the pad I use but the Wal-Mart would be just as good: http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_3_quarter.html

Tinker
02-23-2008, 23:23
When I'm not hammocking, I use a Big Agnes Air Core Mummy pad. I've also used a thin closed cell pad on top of it for warmth. It works both as a warm weather pad (without the closed cell foam, or the foam underneath), or a cold weather pad (with the closed cell foam on top). A little heavier than some other options, but comfy and multi-seasonal (I always found my old traditional Thermarest to be too warm in the summer).

Wise Old Owl
02-23-2008, 23:39
I use a thermarest. I moved up to a Prolite 4 from the thinner size because I was uncomfortable side sleeping. I have read that other folks prefer thicker pads too when side sleeping, but I don't know how comfortable you might be on a foam pad if you are a side sleeper. When I was your age I was fine with a Ridgerest.

Check out the new prices and weights - Bring your Lungs.
http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=8&PHPSESSID=d47560a3ca31ce1fa55f9ca3d6c072f0

Dom1215
02-23-2008, 23:49
We are starting our hike at newfoundland gap on March 1st!

I'm really glad about the weather looking good - I've been worried about that a little bit.

We'll be a pretty recognizable group.
Three girls and one boy. We'll either be WAY too excited and talking up and storm and taking photos of everything or huddled around a map confused and not knowing where to go next :)

Alligator
02-24-2008, 00:17
Thermarest makes women sized pads if you go that route.

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=8&PHPSESSID=d47560a3ca31ce1fa55f9ca3d6c072f0 I've been tempted to get one of these, an insulated one though for the winter instead of doubling up the pads.

rafe
02-24-2008, 00:21
http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=8&PHPSESSID=d47560a3ca31ce1fa55f9ca3d6c072f0

These are air core. No big deal. They won't provide much insulation at all. (r value = 1.) Summer use only, or in combination with a closed-cell pad.