PDA

View Full Version : Gear List Complete, I think...

Regulus
02-23-2008, 19:45
Thanks for everyone's help!
I've assembled what I think is a complete gear list. My start date is March 6th. I would appreciate some analysis if you could be so kind. Most of this is set in stone but minor adjustments are possible.

I guess I'm just want to know if there's any major issues or minor tweaks.

I've organized the list using SGT Rock's article:

Pack Group
McKinley Backpack
Trash Compactor Bag Liner

Shelter Group
MSR Hubba Tent
6 MSR Aluminum Needle Stakes
Tyvek Groundcloth

Sleeping Group
Campmor 20* Mummy Long
Thermarest ProLite4 (I'm a heavy dude)
Waterproof Stuff Sack

Kitchen Group
1 Liter Nalgene
2L Platypus (just the bladder)
Bandanna x2
550 Cord x 50'
Fuel Container
Beer Can Alcohol Stove
Aluminum Pot
2 Bic Lighters
Metal Spoon
Stuff Sack

Hygiene Group
Pack Towel
2oz Bottle Hand Cleaner
Brush/Paste
TP
Ziplock Bag

Navigation Group
Official Maps
Compass
Thru-Hikers' Companion '08
Petzl Zipka Plus
All-Weather Mini Notebook
Waterproof Pen

Repair/First Aid Group
Duct Tape
Spare Batteries
Emergency Fire Starter
1st Aid Kit
--various band-aids
--2 razor blades
--4 safety pins
--2 needles
--dental floss
--neosporin
--super glue
--gauze
--ace bandage
--ziplock bag
--vitamin C/I
--benadryl
--sunscreen
--nail clippers
--small candle
--pocket knife w/ tweezers & scissors

Luxury Items
Cheap Digital Camera
Data Card x2

Rain Gear
Marmot Precip Jacket
Very Cheap Rain Pants (~$4 at paint store)
Rain Mittens

Clothing - In Pack, Warm Weather
Smart Wool Mini Crew Light Socks
Polyester T-Shirt
TechWick Underwear

Clothing - In Pack, Cool Weather
Under Armour Top
Under Armour Bottom
Polypro Gloves
Smart Wool Medium Socks
Watch Cap

Clothing - In Pack, Colder Weather
Patagonia Micro Puff Vest
Polypro Bottoms (Army Issue)
Polypro Top (Army Issue)
Polypropylene Balaclava
SealSkinz Socks
Rain Mittens
Heavy Wool Socks

Clothing Worn/Carried
Salomon Exit Aero Cross Trainers
Smart Wool Mini Crew Light Socks
TechWick Underwear
EMS Adventure Zip-Off Pants
Neck Wallet (ID, Cash, etc…)
Cheap Watch (day, date, alarm)
Swissgear Trekking Poles
Campmor Trekmor Travel Shirt
Hat
Small Folding Knife

Miscellaneous
Extra Smart Wool Medium Socks
Poncho (Army Issue)
Katadyn Hiker Pro Filter
GoLite Ether Wind
Mini Carabiner x2

Thanks,
Dan

gungho
02-23-2008, 19:47
What's yor total pack weight?

Regulus
02-23-2008, 19:52
What's yor total pack weight?

Good question :)

Doesn't seem to bad though.

Lyle
02-23-2008, 20:00
Just a few cheap changes...or not:

Replace Nalgene with Gatoraid bottle
Metal Spoon - Lexan spoon
Cut your pack towel in half
Was the "I" after Vitamin C referring to Ibuprofen? If not add some.
Maybe some Pepto or Lomotil
Neck Wallet - Ziplock
Don't need poncho with your other rain gear
didn't see a pack cover, maybe missed it or maybe you decided against it

Looks very dooable, what is your pack weight? If it's below 35-40 lbs with food/water/fuel then quit worrying and just do it. You can fine tune as you go.

I'm very jealous! Have a great trip.

take-a-knee
02-23-2008, 20:35
I'd keep one Nalgene until it warms up, you can put boiling water in a nalgene for a bag heater, that way you'll also have unfrozen water in the morning. Once it warms up mail it home and buy a bottle of gatorade.

Lyle
02-23-2008, 21:12
I'd keep one Nalgene until it warms up, you can put boiling water in a nalgene for a bag heater, that way you'll also have unfrozen water in the morning. Once it warms up mail it home and buy a bottle of gatorade.

Good Point.

Lyle
02-23-2008, 21:25
Looking it over again, you might be a bit light on your insulating layers for cold weather. All I see are Poly Pro top and bottom and Micro Puff vest. Am I missing something. This would make for some awful cold evenings for me.

I'd toss in at least a fleece to add to it. Most of us have several of those laying around. And maybe the Surplus pant liners that Sgt. Rock always recommends. I just ordered a pair of those for $6.95 plus $6 shipping. Could probably pick em up cheap if you have a Surplus store near you.

Blissful
02-23-2008, 21:27
You can save weight in ounces that lead to pounds - and believe me, it will make a lot of difference -

Scissors can serve as nail clippers.
Skip the fire starter and candle. Don't need two knives, pocket knife is enough. Skip the trowel.
Agree with Lexan spoon. Costs 70 cents
Keep poncho at home.
A vest won't keep you warm enough for a March start. Good for later on. I'd get a jacket. Do need a rain cover for pack.

take-a-knee
02-23-2008, 21:41
Looking it over again, you might be a bit light on your insulating layers for cold weather. All I see are Poly Pro top and bottom and Micro Puff vest. Am I missing something. This would make for some awful cold evenings for me.

I'd toss in at least a fleece to add to it. Most of us have several of those laying around. And maybe the Surplus pant liners that Sgt. Rock always recommends. I just ordered a pair of those for $6.95 plus $6 shipping. Could probably pick em up cheap if you have a Surplus store near you.

Those field pant liners rock, they are no heavier than the army PP bottoms (8 oz,), those army PP bottoms are way too hot to hike in, and might not be warm enough in a cold windy shelter in march. So maybe ditch the army bottoms and add the pant liners. That micro puff vest and the army PP top will be warm under your Precip, but you might want to add another layer, maybe a synchilla hoody or something light, the R1 hoody rocks, but that thing is over $100. I think Cloudveil makes something similar for less.

mountain squid
02-23-2008, 22:15
Looks very good. Some observations:

camp shoes
neck wallet is a great idea - I use one and it goes everywhere I go, whether or not I have my pack
is the kitchen group stuff sack for food or gear?
ear plugs
whistle
6 pr socks? - unless you will wear 2 at a time, 3 should be ok - rotate 2 and always keep third dry for camp use only (in the mornings you will put on wet socks)
concur with Blissful about the nail clippers, extra knife, candle and poncho

See you on the trail,
mt squid

dmax
02-23-2008, 22:25
i really don't see a need for a compass. just follow the white blazes.

take-a-knee
02-23-2008, 23:29
i really don't see a need for a compass. just follow the white blazes.

Not another non-navigating knucklehead...please! Yes, you need a compass, you will always need a compass, don't ever go hiking without a map and compass and always realize that when someone tells you that you don't need a map and compass you are conversing with an ignoramus.

rafe
02-24-2008, 00:04
Not another non-navigating knucklehead...please! Yes, you need a compass, you will always need a compass, don't ever go hiking without a map and compass and always realize that when someone tells you that you don't need a map and compass you are conversing with an ignoramus.

A compass is one of those things I've always carried and never quite needed. (Like a few other "emergency" items.) It's just an itty-bitty thing, but it gives me peace of mind. I've been "lost" a few times, but never to where my safety was at risk.

earlylight
02-24-2008, 10:36
I noticed that you are bringing 2 butane lighters.

I hate relying on one fire starting method.

I use an alcohol stove and I've had a lot of problems getting butane lighters to work. So I've ditched them and bring some emergency matches in a little waterproof match container - you know the REI ones that burn underwater, and then a few small boxes of regular wooden matches for everyday use.

Lyle
02-24-2008, 11:33

I use an alcohol stove and I've had a lot of problems getting butane lighters to work. So I've ditched them and bring some emergency matches in a little waterproof match container - you know the REI ones that burn underwater, and then a few small boxes of regular wooden matches for everyday use.

I'm with you. I carry a lighter, normally use it, but I always carry plenty of matches too. Often just book matches, but stashed in numerous places around my pack on the assumption that not all of them will get wet.:rolleyes:

Used to do the old dip some strike anywhere wooden matches in paraffin and carry them in a 35 mm film canister. Now-a-days strike anywhere are difficult to find and 35 mm film is no longer used.

Terry7
02-24-2008, 14:28
I was in a cow pasture in central Va. when I lost the trail. Cows make their own trails and they look the same. I respect and thank all trail workers, but this trail was poorly marked. I got my compass and map out and found the trail. It can happen so always carry a compass.

take-a-knee
02-24-2008, 16:06

Smart move on the waterproof matches, Ace Hardware usually stocks the old strike-anywhere matches and you can dip them in varnish but they don't work like those "lifeboat" matches. Another handy thing is those trick birthday candles that won't blow out.

dmax
02-25-2008, 17:15
thanks for the compass help. from now on i'll carry a compass, a tom-tom, and a magic 8-ball for all my hikes on the AT.