PDA

View Full Version : What about sox?

Suzzz
02-23-2008, 20:04
Realizing that regular laundry/showers are not happening on the trail, what do people do about sox? I have no problem wearing the same t-shirt or pants for an extended period of time but sox? I can only imagine the smell after a few days and frankly would rather not carry too many dirty pairs in my backpack. I also worry that dirty sox might cause problems such as blisters. What do you do?

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:11
Sox RULE!!! Two World Series Championships in four years. WOOHHOOOOO!!

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:13
Realizing that regular laundry/showers are not happening on the trail, what do people do about sox? I have no problem wearing the same t-shirt or pants for an extended period of time but sox? I can only imagine the smell after a few days and frankly would rather not carry too many dirty pairs in my backpack. I also worry that dirty sox might cause problems such as blisters. What do you do?
Use something thin for sock liners. Bring 3 pairs each. Rotate daily and as they get wet. Wear camp footwear (crocks etc.) while doing laundry in town.
Bring a small bottle of Gold Bond to powder inside sock liner before putting on each morning.

aaroniguana
02-23-2008, 20:14
Polypropylene sock liners at Wally World, $1.99/pair in the sporting goods department, near the hunting gear.

Suzzz
02-23-2008, 20:15
Ha Ha.... too funny. Now stop horsing around and give me a real answer funny guy. :-)

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:16
Use something thin for sock liners. Bring 3 pairs each. Rotate daily and as they get wet. Wear camp footwear (crocks etc.) while doing laundry in town.
Bring a small bottle of Gold Bond to powder inside sock liner before putting on each morning.
Also, hang already worn socks on outside of pack on dry days to facilitate complete drying and infuse fresh air/keep from 'smelling up' pack. If you don't get a dry day to hang them while hiking, keep a small plastic bag to put them in.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:17
Ha Ha.... too funny. Now stop horsing around and give me a real answer funny guy. :-)
Ha! Beat ya to it!!:p:):)

Suzzz
02-23-2008, 20:17
Thanks guys. Will add Gold Bond to my list... and ziplocs for the dirty sox.

Suzzz
02-23-2008, 20:18
I'll try to be faster next time :-)

Jason of the Woods
02-23-2008, 20:18
Another WB member suggested to me to use a plastic bag to wash your spare pair while you hike. Just put water, detergent, and the sock in a big ziploc and let your walking do the washing. Do the same to rinse only change the water.;) When they are done hang them out on your pack to dry. It plan on using this method myself(if needed), as I only plan on bringing a couple of pairs. Happy washing.;)

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:19
;) Also, for me personally, a thin sock-liner is the single best deterrent to blisters. Friction happens between the two socks rather than between the sock and your skin.:)

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:20
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys-laughing-001.php

take-a-knee
02-23-2008, 20:52
Another WB member suggested to me to use a plastic bag to wash your spare pair while you hike. Just put water, detergent, and the sock in a big ziploc and let your walking do the washing. Do the same to rinse only change the water.;) When they are done hang them out on your pack to dry. It plan on using this method myself(if needed), as I only plan on bringing a couple of pairs. Happy washing.;)

What he said, except I would take three pair so I could keep one clean pair to sleep in.

No Belay
02-23-2008, 20:57
Realizing that regular laundry/showers are not happening on the trail, what do people do about sox? I have no problem wearing the same t-shirt or pants for an extended period of time but sox? I can only imagine the smell after a few days >>>>. I also worry that dirty sox might cause problems such as blisters. What do you do?

Suzz you had me guessin there for a minute. I thought your "sox" was a misspell of another word and still thought that until i was 3/4 through your post.:eek: Sorry about that. Here in the Ozarks we spell it socks.

Savor happy!

Blissful
02-23-2008, 20:59
Laundry and showers happen fairly often, actually.

You can get by with three pairs of socks. As with anything new you do involving your feet for long periods of time like an extended hike, blisters will develop whether your socks are clean or not. Your feet have to toughen up to the rigors of day in day out hiking. But you can minimize the situation by wearing trail runners, skipping the gaiters, airing out your feet when you stop and drying out your socks and insoles in the sun. And leave your wet socks or odiferous ones hanging on the outside of your pack.

Grinder
02-23-2008, 21:19
I carry three pairs of Swedish army wool socks. I bought them from Major Surplus. I bought them because I rebelled against the idea of paying $10 for socks, which is what hiking wool socks cost. I got three pair for that price.

They are real wool and at first rather itchy. I had to shrink them (wash in hot water a few times) to get a good fit.

The bonus: They never smell. It must be something to do with the genuine wool. My normal socks smell if I wear them a second day.

I now use them for slippers around the house too.

Tom

Footslogger
02-23-2008, 21:41
===============================

For my 2003 thru I used the "wear one and carry 2" when it came to next2skin clothing. You're right - - socks to get dirty and stinky. Also ...even the best socks on the market will compress and lose their cushion/support over a couple days of double digit miles. I rotated my socks every 2 days, or more often if necessary. When I got into my campsite at night, the first thing (or close to it) was to get my hiking socks from that day and take them off. I generally shook them out and hung them over a tree branch to air/dry out. Weather permitting, I went without socks until I was ready to crawl into my sleeping bag.

In the event that my socks were still wet/damp from the previous days hiking I hung them on my pack as I started hiking the next day - -unless of course it was raining (which it was very often in 2003).

I always washed all 3 pair of socks as soon as I had a chance to do laundry in town or at a hostel. This was generally somewhere between 4 and 7 day intervals.

I used a bounce box in 2003 and had a additional 6 pair of new socks in the box when I started at Springer. By the time I got to Katahdin I had used all 9 pair (3 original pairs and 6 additional ones) of socks.

'Slogger

Almost There
02-23-2008, 22:57
Depends...are you hiking in boots or trail runners? If trail runners, screw the sock liners, don't need them. I wear ankle cut SmartWools in the summer. I carry two pairs, and after 3-4 days I switch them for the clean pair. I figure I'm hitting a town every few days, so I am good to go. After the 4th day however, my socks can stand on their own!

10-K
02-23-2008, 23:25

I must say.... that's one heck of an good idea. Filed for future reference.

Suzzz
02-23-2008, 23:35
I hike in trail runners. I find boots weigh too much and they make my feet sweat twice as much.

Thanks everyone for your good advice.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 23:41
I hike in trail runners. I find boots weigh too much and they make my feet sweat twice as much.

Thanks everyone for your good advice.
I learned that exact lesson. It's a good one.:)

Tinker
02-23-2008, 23:48
I use Smartwool socks, and I can get 2-3 days out of a pair before they get smelly or stiff. If I carry 3 pair, I can go for up to a week without having to wash. I try to keep one clean pair for sleeping, but on a long trip I may have to resort to the cleanEST pair.
I don't use sock liners any more. Like you, I wear low tops except in snow, and have begun to use sandals in the summer (with socks). Ventilation is key to keeping the smell down. I like to air out my feet and socks at least once during the day and I let my dirty socks air out on a line overnight.