PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need the 2008 Companion?

charmcityboys
02-23-2008, 22:40
I bought the 2007 Thru-Hiker's companion in November, and since the 2008 Companion came out I've been wondering if my version would really be THAT out of date...

Jack Tarlin
02-23-2008, 22:42
In all likelihood, you'll be just fine.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-23-2008, 22:50
I also feel you will be fine with the 2007 Companion.

mrburns
02-23-2008, 23:15
I bought the 2007 same time as you... then bought the 2008... I'm sure there's more canges than what's below, but for what it's worth these were the only change that effected my plans:

1) Mountain Mama's Kountry Store is listed in the 2007 Companion... but it's closed... so is not listed in 2008 book.

2) 2008 book warns to be prepared for drought conditions in the south and that some of the listed water sources are for "Normal Years" but the dry weather this year may effect the presence of water this year, so plan accordingly.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 23:59
No. . . . . .

bigcranky
02-24-2008, 10:58
I still use an '05 Companion. Of course, I'm still using my 2001 Data Book, too. Both are accurate enough for me so far.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 12:51
I bought the 2007 Thru-Hiker's companion in November, and since the 2008 Companion came out I've been wondering if my version would really be THAT out of date...

not at all out of date. you'll be fine with the 07

Bearpaw
02-24-2008, 12:52
DUDE, you've GOTTA get the 2008 Companion or you're gonna DIE, man. Just DIE!!!:eek:

Just kidding ;). If you decide too much in the 07 Companion is inaccurate, you can buy the 08 Companion, 08 Thru-HIker's Handbook, or Appalachian Pages in many many trail towns. Til then, use what you've got.

The Solemates
02-24-2008, 16:52
We used the 2000 version on our 2004 thru-hike, and continue to use the 2000 version on our AT hikes. You'll be fine.

Go online and look at the most current if you are that worried about it: www.aldha.org.

Blissful
02-24-2008, 17:42
A couple hostels are closed this year that were open last year, so be sure to update that info.
Miss Janets in Erwin; The Cabin In Maine

max patch
02-24-2008, 17:49
You'll be fine....but $15 or so spread out over a 6 month hike is a small price to pay for the most current info to my way of thinking.

Appalachian Tater
02-24-2008, 17:58
The trail data will be fine. As people have mentioned, some of the services may no longer be open, there may be new ones, etc. Most of the major changes are discussed on this website and when you get to a town you'll discuss all this stuff with other hikers, anyway. People hiking in the opposite direction are also good sources of information, except for distance.

Del Q
02-24-2008, 20:25
I got the 2008 out of sheer boredom, not needed for the trail. Same rules apply, follow the white blazes.

fiddlehead
02-24-2008, 21:21
These kind of books are for those who want to know what to expect when they get to town. A lot like the "Lonely Planet Guides" when traveling overseas.

I used to use them and haven't touched one now in 3 or 4 years because i've found that i don't want to expect things when i get to a town.

Now, i just go there, walk, jog, or drive around to check the layout of the town, decide at that time where i think would be the best location, and find places where the Lonely planet crowd does not go. (they tend to stick together and the hostel or whatever they all goup up in turns out to be more like back home than the real culture they came to see)
I think this is often true of the AT.
If you want to go hang around with the other thru-hikers, buy the book, use their recommendations.
But, if you are trying to travel to learn what the culture there is really like, go find your own place to stay, meet the locals, (not the ones who are making money from the hikers but the ones who live and work there in other venues)
That way, you can learn much more about a place and the way people think in that part of the world.
The bible belt is a good example. I was quite shocked (and wanting to learn more) on some of the signs i saw and how religious the people seemed to be. What is a foot washing? YOu may not learn from the "Companion" but only if you go out on your own. (of course maybe the Companion explains the foot washing, how coal is mined, some of the history of places like Harper's Ferry, where Camp David really is, etc. But i like learning these things from someone who lives around the area, learning their humor, politics, accents, opinions, etc.

UP to you of course. I know my way of traveling is not for everybody.

By the way, for those of you who know "Stitches" she is here visiting me in Thailand right now. She went to Phi Phi island for 2 days and then we are going camping to my favorite (all Thai people) beach tomorrow night before she heads back to Bangkok.