PDA

View Full Version : CT to NY

Jerry Kahil
02-24-2008, 00:29
I am planning a SOBO trip from Salisbury CT into NY for a week in May. I won't make it to NJ. I am wondering what any of you have experienced in terms of mud, bugs, average miles per day, etc. for that area in that time of year. I hiked 100 miles in Mass/Ct same time of year last year and I'm trying to compare. Thanks.

Tinker
02-24-2008, 00:40
Ct. was relatively easy. I hiked an average of 12 miles/day, not in any hurry. There are only a couple of tough climbs. I haven't done any of NY except the section from Harriman south. Mostly ridges with some difficult footing, but 12 mile+ days should be no problem even for someone my age. You may do better. I didn't have any trouble with bugs in Ct. in the spring or fall (hiked Ct. in two trips). Of course it rained most of one trip.

rafe
02-24-2008, 01:08
No serious problems terrain-wise, 100 miles in a week is quite do-able. I couldn't tell you about the skeeter or mud situation in May... probably much like the section you did last year. There's a long walk along the Hoosatonic -- a couple miles north of Kent -- I suppose if there were severe flooding or days of heavy rain, the trail could be affected.

Bring DEET and a head-net.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
02-24-2008, 02:01
I am planning a SOBO trip from Salisbury CT into NY for a week in May. I won't make it to NJ. I am wondering what any of you have experienced in terms of mud, bugs, average miles per day, etc. for that area in that time of year. I hiked 100 miles in Mass/Ct same time of year last year and I'm trying to compare. Thanks.

Two words: BUG SPRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, drink lots of water.

gsingjane
02-24-2008, 13:06
I think you will enjoy this stretch of the AT. There are lots of great things to see and it's a nice experience. How far you go per day will depend on your hiking condition and approach. I know you will hear from other hikers on this site that travelling 15-20 mpd, through virtually any kind of terrain, is an easy matter... personally, I don't find it so. For me, up to 15 is relatively do-able in CT, but even at that I'm pretty tired at the end of the day.

I did think that the northern end of the AT in NY was good going. Especially coming south from Wiley, you go through some nice farm fields and a nature preserve, and the climbs aren't particularly stressful. My kids and I did 17 in one day going to RPH and that wasn't unbelievably hard. You will love Fahnestock S.P., there is a lake overlook there that must be seen to be believed for its beauty.

Once in to Harriman, it seems to me that there are many more, and steeper climbs, and also the treadway becomes unrelentingingly rocky. There, I found that 12 or 15 mpd was much tougher and took more out of me, especially because I had to be watching my feet every single minute. I also thought that it would be quite difficult going up the north side of Bear Mtn., not because it's incredibly steep, but because the trail is quite eroded and otherwise in poor shape. I would allocate extra time to going up and over Bear for that reason.

We have hiked a fair amount in late spring in this area and so far haven't found bugs to be a giant problem, but I'd always bring repellent just to be safe.

Enjoy your hike!

Jane in CT

Eureka
03-09-2008, 21:25
I hiked both Ma. and CT. and would say they were about the same in difficulty. Not bad at all. Try to plan on staying over at Riga shelter, beautiful sunrise and views!
Enjoy!

LIhikers
03-09-2008, 22:41
Hiking south from Salisbury,Ct for just under 100 miles will bring you to the Bear Mountain Inn, which is STILL closed for renovations. I think the bigest hill will be the one that brings you down to the road just before the Bear Mountain Bridge. The weather of course will be whatever it is, May could be from cool to warm, and dry to wet. The bug situation will be determined by what the weather is, unpredictable. I know that's not much help but.........................