PDA

View Full Version : Pack clip

Purple
02-24-2008, 03:01
Can anyone tell me if this type clip on an external frame pack is strong enough for a 35-40 lb load? If so where can I find some more. Is the ring and pin type any better?

Toolshed
02-24-2008, 11:19
yes it does.
These came standard in the 70's on Camp trails packs. They will hold 35-40 lbs, but the rings and pins are a more secure attachment for more demanding trips. You should be able to get them in any outfitter store. If not, you can call Eureka factory store (http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/about.asp?s_id=0&) direct and they can ship them to you. 607-779-2265, Toll Free: 1-888-6 EUREKA

Purple
02-24-2008, 12:37
Thanks Toolshed

Purple
02-24-2008, 17:52
I have searched the Eureka site and did a google search but have not found a place to purchase this clip. Does anyone know the exact name of the clip [clasp, clamp, lock, grip ????] or a link where I can get it. I don't like the Ring/Pin clips because they are hard on my fingers :eek:[nails] and fit to close to the frame to get a grip on. With the green clip I can pry[pop] it off with the side of my thumb.

Recently, someone [here at WB] got on to me for asking the WB'ers where something was, telling me to go search for myself :( .... BUT I have spent 2 days browsing backpack "parts and accessaries" trying to find these little clips. Any help would be appreciated :)

Appalachian Tater
02-24-2008, 18:02
Recently, someone [here at WB] got on to me for asking the WB'ers where something was, telling me to go search for myself :( .... Next time, tell'em to ******* ********* or ******* ****** ****. As long as you don't start five threads with the same question, who cares?

Toolshed
02-24-2008, 19:30
That's because nobody stocks these parts anymore.

Call Eureka tomorrow at the number I previously listed (I believe their Camp Trails subsidiary invented these) and tell them that you have an older pack and need some C-Clips to attach the bag to the frame and do not want to use rings and pins. See what they have - It wouldn't surprise me that they have a big old bag of these somewhere.

Toolshed
02-26-2008, 13:34
Purpe, I was thinking oabout these clips and called over to Eureka Factory store today. Fellow there said they haven't made those clips in decades - Best option is the rings and pins.

I am just wondering though, how often do you remove your bag from the frame where it is troublesome?

I know the shorter pins can be a real hassle. I find slipping a small blade of a pen-knife or screwdriver in makes it easier to put the pin on ring (or remove).

If the pin is so short that it is too close to the frame, where it exits the hole, you can buy longer pins that will go through the hole and still extend about an inch from the frame - Makes it much easier to attach the rings. You can then wrap each extended pin section with a piece of tape to stop and jingling.

I used to sell and fit these years ago and I do remember chewing my nails up quite a bit on the shorter pins.

bigmac_in
02-26-2008, 13:49
Hey Purple - did I miss something? Is your pack a Eureka brand? If not what brand is it? That's a pretty small piece to try to search for - but I'll try to help if you can give me more information. Brand, model, etc.....

By the way, I was likely one of the people giving you a hard time on a previous post . . . I meant it all in good fun. I apologize if you took anything I said to heart. I'm mostly what they call FOS. :-)

Anyway, maybe I can make it up to you if I can help somehow here. No promises.

BigMac

Frosty
02-26-2008, 14:02
Recently, someone [here at WB] got on to me for asking the WB'ers where something was, telling me to go search for myself :( .... Sometimes people have bad days and get cranky, just like on the trail. Best thing to do is same as you would on the trail, ignore them and be thankful you aren't the one poisoning your innards with bile. But for the Grace of God, yadda yadda ... :D

Frosty
02-26-2008, 14:06
By the way, I was likely one of the people giving you a hard time on a previous post . . . I meant it all in good fun. I apologize if you took anything I said to heart. I'm mostly what they call FOS. :-)Yeah, we all are at one time or another. Just have to try to keep that kharmic average above zero so we don't reincarnate as a yellow-blazer or something.

Purple
02-26-2008, 18:37
The frame I got the C-clips off is the Astral Cruiser Frame shown on left that came with the heavy "Himalayan" canvas pack shown in the center not the Camp Trails frame. The free standing frame, on the right, came with the blue 560-L Camptrails Pack on the left. I love this frame cause I don't have to lean it against anything when its not on my back, keeps it dry & I can stand it on a table [saves the knees]. It is lighter than the Astral Cruiser frame that is smaller. The orange Camp Trails pack on the right came on yet another, smaller, frame [to short for my 5'9" height]. As you can see I have taken the best parts of all 3 frames & packs to make one that I think is best suited for my size. With the frames the orange one is 3.5 lbs. blue one 4 lbs. BTW I got the Himalayan for $12, the 2 Camp Trails for $4 ea.[Thrift Store]. Can't beat that!

The only problem I have with the free-standing frame is I have to put the pack low to get the correct center of gravity because the "legs" are not "quite" wide enough for my hips [til I loose the lbs that come off in the 1st 100 miles] so I have to set the hip belt at the bottom of the frame. The blue pack is 10"dx21h"22w"[approx 4600 cu in], the orange 8"dx20"hx19"w, [approx 3000 cu in]1300 cu in. difference.

The internal frame pack is a Academy Broadway Belmonte 9"dx29"hx18"w [4600-6500 cu in depends on if you use all the hidden pockets and straps] with the straps on bottom you can add another 6-10". It has ALL the bells & whistles you could imagine [just 3.5lb] and it's PURPLE!:banana and best of all just $3 [thrift store]

WOW! got carried away here ..... the answer to your questions is the C-clip came off the Astral Cruiser Himalayan, and the reason I want more of them is their easy to work and if I loose one I don't want to mix the style (a woman thing) I can switch the packs to suite 3 season camping on the free standing frame. If I tear up one of the packs I got 2 to fall back on [pun intended]

AM I WEIRD OR WHAT? :o

shelterbuilder
02-26-2008, 22:12
Purple, I haven't seen these clips in years - except on one of my old frame packs!! I got that old frame pack from a former Boy Scout, so I'm thinking that if you were able to contact some older Scoutmasters or ASMs in your area, they might have some on a dusty old shelf in their basement! Most of the older Scoutmasters that I know were packrats about equipment repair parts.

Toolshed, was that the Eureka! Factory store in Binghamton, NY?

Toolshed
02-26-2008, 22:54
Yes it is the store in Binghamton (Johnson City) NY

shelterbuilder
02-26-2008, 22:58
Yes it is the store in Binghamton (Johnson City) NY

I stopped in during the Christmas holiday - first time in years - was disappointed to see so little retail floor space left. It looks like they've cut it in half from what it used to be:( - and they're concentrating on water sports...I guess that's where the money is now.

Toolshed
02-29-2008, 14:05
I think this all occurred after the big flood 2 years ago. They wer closed for about 6 months dueto flood damage. I still love going in there, although it is a 2 hour drive.

Lyle
02-29-2008, 17:01
Purple,

If you don't like the individual rings to use with the clevis pins maybe you can try to get ahold of the flexible wire rod that Kelty uses. One rod on each side slides through the holes in the clevis pins. These were designed for Kelty packs, but may work on your's. Let me know if you don't understand what I'm talking about, and I'll try to explain further.