PDA

View Full Version : fleece clothing

squirrel bait
01-11-2004, 15:48
How do you tell what wieght fleece is if not on the tag? Example at a thrift store, old one in your closet, etc. What do some of ya all recommend for thru hike fleece wear? Should your wind jacket be the same as your rain gear? Is the tops the only piece of fleece ya need? Thanks and the songs of the trail thread is pretty cool.

brian
01-11-2004, 16:45
I judge by the general thickness of the fleece. The real heavy stuff is 300wt, the medium stuff (that I've been wearing in vests for 5+years) is 200wt, and the stuff I made my camping vest out of is 100wt. Go to an REI or EMS just feel the different fleeces and try to get a goodbearing on the thicknesses.

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

How do you tell what wieght fleece is if not on the tag? Example at a thrift store, old one in your closet, etc. What do some of ya all recommend for thru hike fleece wear? Should your wind jacket be the same as your rain gear? Is the tops the only piece of fleece ya need? Thanks and the songs of the trail thread is pretty cool.

Peaks
01-11-2004, 16:51
Usually, my rain jacket doubles as a wind breaker when backpacking.

I use long poly pro underwear instead of fleece bottoms when it is cold out.

texashiker
01-12-2004, 01:05
To weight any gear like a fleece.. take it to the grocery store with you and weight it on the fruit scales. You will get many strange looks but no one dares to approach you about it.

eldwayno
01-12-2004, 02:47
As for fleece for a thru-hike I love the EMS Windpro Fleece Jacket, I seriously wear it daily both on and off the trail. A very warm windproof fleece that has served me well for three years so far, and as with any other EMS gear if something ever happens exchange it or get it repaired.

Rain gear doubles as wind gear.

I will be bringing fleece bottoms for camp/cold wear at the beginning and end of my thru-hike