PDA

View Full Version : Eyeglass cases

Critterman
02-24-2008, 18:31
I need a case of some sort to hold my glasses while I hike. It needs to be crush resistant and won't be ruined if it gets wet but not necessarily waterproof. It would also be nice if it were light weight. I only need glasses to read so I don't wear them while I hike but need them to read a map etc. I found this one (http://www.witzprod.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=46&osCsid=926f81123089b08a7c2f1851f36dc9) that I think weighs 4 oz. I am sure somebody has solved this problem already and has a great idea for me.

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2008, 18:39
Go to any good optician. If you bought your glasses there, they'll probably give you one for free. Otherwise, you can buy one for a few bucks.

Tip: Leave your contact info (Name, E-Mail address) taped to the case. Glasses are one of the most frequently lost items on the Trail, usually in a shelter, or on a rock or somewhere when you're taking a break. Your contact info means you'll probably get 'em back if someone finds them.

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 18:42
Whatever case you end up with, for extra protection, roll it up in your fleece or an unused clothing item and tuck it in a low impact part of your pack.

mudhead
02-24-2008, 18:47
I have the optician issued hard cases. Pretty rugged, but probably are heavier than your link. Plus that thing looks like you could tie a dummy string to it. Yellow. High vis!

Appalachian Tater
02-24-2008, 18:49
You can use a tall pill bottle with a child-proof cap. If it isn't quite long enough, you can carefully heat the bottom over the stove and push the dimple out with a wooden spoon. With a very thin piece of foam lining the top and bottom, like the kind they wrap Japanese pears in, it is a very strong, lightweight, and water-resistant case.

Most pharmacy assistants will give you a couple if you ask nicely.

mudhead
02-24-2008, 18:55
Can you step on one of those?

Sounds slick.

Appalachian Tater
02-24-2008, 18:57
Can you step on one of those?

Sounds slick. Yes. If you really try, you can crack and eventually crush it, but it's pretty hard to do. Even if it's cracked, it still protects your glasses.

mudhead
02-24-2008, 19:02
Thanks.

The Weasel
02-24-2008, 19:06
I need a case of some sort to hold my glasses while I hike. It needs to be crush resistant and won't be ruined if it gets wet but not necessarily waterproof. It would also be nice if it were light weight. I only need glasses to read so I don't wear them while I hike but need them to read a map etc. I found this one (http://www.witzprod.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=46&osCsid=926f81123089b08a7c2f1851f36dc9) that I think weighs 4 oz. I am sure somebody has solved this problem already and has a great idea for me.

Critterman: Depending on what you can afford, consider getting a set of bifocals, with your Rx for reading in the lower pane and plain glass in the upper pane. This means you can wear them all the time. I got a good set of Rayban shooting glasses (wire rims that went around my ears to stay on snugly) that were in the green spectrum for day wear as sunglasses and to read by.

TW

gumball
02-24-2008, 19:34
I have a case I picked up at Timberland. It is not a hard case, per se, but not soft. Lightweight, and a little extra large, so I can take the extra precaution of wrapping my glasses in a bandana. My contacts case also fits in it. Its kind of a firm crush proof case. I've seen them at Dicks and Gander Mt. as well, and REI definitely has these types of cases.

mudhead
02-24-2008, 19:40
Critterman: Depending on what you can afford, consider getting a set of bifocals, with your Rx for reading in the lower pane and plain glass in the upper pane. This means you can wear them all the time. I got a good set of Rayban shooting glasses (wire rims that went around my ears to stay on snugly) that were in the green spectrum for day wear as sunglasses and to read by.

TW

I diasagree with this.

I don't want to argue.

Hiking in bifocals sucks.

Critterman
02-24-2008, 20:53
Go to any good optician. If you bought your glasses there, they'll probably give you one for free. ..........

The ones they have would be ruined if they got soggy which I am sure will happen probably the first day out from Springer with my luck.

Whatever case you end up with, for extra protection, roll it up in your fleece or an unused clothing item and tuck it in a low impact part of your pack.

Good idea but I need them available to read maps etc. with.

Critterman: Depending on what you can afford, consider getting a set of bifocals,...............TW

I have bifocals, the distance correction is minimal and I hate wearing them outdoors.

.........Hiking in bifocals sucks.

Absolutely sucks !

snuffy smith
02-24-2008, 20:57
Once it gets warm hiking in glasses sucks. They fog up They slide down. They just get in the way. I keep mine in the hard case they came in.Then I put the case in my pocket with my map or in a side pocket on my pack.

mudhead
02-24-2008, 20:58
Get that fancy yellow one. You know you want to...

Quart Ziplock for soggy. Top pocket, or a strap pocket. You keep maps in a ziplock?

Critterman
02-24-2008, 21:01
Get that fancy yellow one. You know you want to.............

Yeah, but it is kind of geeky and heavy. I like Taters idea with the pill vial, I will check that out.

hammock engineer
02-24-2008, 21:30
I got a good case at a sunglass store. I can't remember the weight but it seemed in line with what you are talking about.

Summit
02-24-2008, 22:12
Here are a number of choices from REI:

http://www.rei.com/search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&query=glasses+case&x=0&y=0

I'm leaning toward the California Optical #67 (http://www.rei.com/product/655546) at 2 oz. I like the belt loop option. Probably wouldn't try to wear on the belt while hiking -would interfere with the pack waist belt, but in camp it would be nice to have them on my hip.

Marta
02-24-2008, 22:36
I only wear reading glasses, too. I've got a crappy pair that I take hiking. (They started off life as my nice pair of glasses, but have been demoted.) I've dispensed with using a case and just put the glasses in my pocket or in the waist pouch of my pack. The glasses have flexible titanium frames and plastic lenses, so they've gotten all scratched up, but they don't break.

Panzer1
02-25-2008, 02:23
I have a semi-rigid case from Eagle Creek that attaches to the hip belt on my Granite Gear pack. Weight 3 ounces. Sorry, can't find a link.

Panzer

Panzer1
02-25-2008, 02:24
I believe that most glasses that get broken on the trail get broken in shelters when someone steps on them at night. A rigid case is a must for shelter users.

Panzer

Tinker
02-25-2008, 02:31
An empty plastic spice container with a screw top should work. I tried one just for fun, emptied it out and put my glasses in it. It's an Encore Seasoning Salt container (6oz. net wt.).
Weighs 1-1/8 oz. empty.
It is very strong.

Furlough
02-25-2008, 11:22
Hey Critterman,
Maybe you and I need to do more hiking together. You need your glasses to read the maps, I have to take my glasses off to read the maps. Maybe we can work out a rotation plan. :)

Furlough

Critterman
02-25-2008, 20:48
Hey Critterman,
Maybe you and I need to do more hiking together. You need your glasses to read the maps, I have to take my glasses off to read the maps. Maybe we can work out a rotation plan. :)

Furlough

Sounds like a plan. Lets do it.

Critterman
02-25-2008, 20:51
Thanks to every one for all the ideas. I happened to see a 3oz Kraft Parmesan cheese container today at the grocery store that fits my glasses. A glasses case for free with cheese purchase, what a deal. :)

Marta
02-25-2008, 21:21
Hey Critterman,

Furlough

Or each swap an eye.

I can't believe I said that.:D

amigo
02-25-2008, 21:26
4 oz for the case alone, plus the glasses ?!?? No way!

I carry drugstore glasses for reading. I have a pair from CVS that came in a metal case and I just weighed them on my digital scale: 1.50 oz for the case AND glasses.

Usually, I just carry a pair of .07 oz readers in a pocket. If they got broken (they never have), I would just buy another.

Then again, I don't sit on my pack or toss it around.