PDA

View Full Version : Best Trail Up Katahdin

Almost There
02-24-2008, 20:34
So Orangebug and I were just talking and we were both wondering, what would be the best trail to hike up Katahdin, as we'd be hiking SOBO, obviously we'd come down the AT, but we just want to know, is there a better trail to go up? Just curious what people think. I'd love to start my hike with a Blue Blaze up Big K.:D

BTW, I put this here because it may be of interest to all SOBO's starting their thru.

fiddlehead
02-24-2008, 21:08
Of course the knife edge is the "best" but it is best done on a beautiful day, without ice, rain, sleet, snow, whiteout conditions, huge winds, etc.

Another great choice is the trail straight up from Chimney pond. (Cathedral trail?) This trail gets you right up there, very fast. The hard part about this one is getting to the trailhead. Unless you have someone driving you there, there is not much traffic and hitching can be really really tough.

Of course most NOBO go up the "Hunt" trail as it is the official AT and the one you will be going down.

I agree it is best to go up another way to see the big "K" from different angles.

Hopefully you get a good day as the knife edge is very cool.

KG4FAM
02-24-2008, 21:14
When I was heading south for a while in 06 I was planning on taking the Hunt/AT up and down, but I got a hitch from a very nice man from Portland. He was hiking one of the other mountains in Baxter and said that he would let me drop my pack at Katahdin Stream Campground, grab a day pack, and then take me back to Abol Campground to go up the Abol trail and down the Hunt/AT. It seemed very convenient for him so it might be a good plan to look it. I cant speak for the other trails, but Abol and KSC are pretty close and it would make it easy to drop your pack.

mudhead
02-24-2008, 21:15
@ 2 miles. Pretty walk, for a dirt road.

Kirby
02-24-2008, 21:59
Cathedral trail from the opposite side of the mountain is supposed to be a tough climb, I have climbed the Saddle Trail and enjoyed it. You could take Abol Slide, leave your pack at the ranger station and get someone to give you a ride to the trail head two miles up on the park perimeter road. Take the AT down, pick up your pack, and prepare to camp for the night.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
02-24-2008, 22:00
bust your balls. do the abol.

rcli4
02-24-2008, 22:24
I intend on going up Abol and down Hunt on June 4th

Clyde

vtdrifter
02-24-2008, 22:39
I loved the Abol Trail, but it's hard. It climbs extremely steeply for several hours. I climbed it in a fog, but you could probably get some great views. However, I wouldn't recommend it unless you really like hiking uphill.

The Chimney Pond Trail to the Saddle Trail is the easiest route up the mountain. Roaring Brook (where it starts) is (so far as I know) the most popular place to start from, so you probably wouldn't have much trouble finding a hitch through the park.

If it's a nice day and you feel brave, the Knife Edge is great. You can take the Helon Taylor trail right from Roaring Brook, which is the easiest access method. Alternatively, you can hike to Chimney Pond, and take the Dudley Trail, which has more rocks to climb over than Abol, and is very slow.

I've never climbed Cathedral, but I believe it has significant scrambling (it's pretty much an up-only trail).

The only downsides with the Roaring Brook trails is you'll have to carry your full pack unless you can find someone to drop it at Katahdin Stream.

Easiest route (provided you can get someone to take your pack around): Chimney Pond to Saddle. Otherwise, I think Hunt is easier than Abol, although I've not climbed it. And I definitely wouldn't recommend Abol with a full pack.
Most exciting: Knife Edge (and I recommend Helon Taylor to Knife Edge, because Dudley would make for a very long day)

KG4FAM
02-24-2008, 22:49
Wow, never realized that I did the harder trail up. I didn't think that the Abol was that bad.

vtdrifter
02-24-2008, 22:59
Wow, never realized that I did the harder trail up. I didn't think that the Abol was that bad.

I should try not to sound like an expert. I'm not actually positive that Abol is harder. It does cover the same elevation gain in a shorter distance, and thus is probably steeper than the Hunt trail. But that doesn't mean it's harder.

rafe
02-24-2008, 23:15
Up the Knife Edge, if the weather's good. But NOT with a full pack!

weary
02-24-2008, 23:19
Chimney Pond is easily the most beautiful campsite east of the Rockies. I would try to leave from Roaring Brook around noon. Camp at Chimney Pond and hike to the summit from there in the morning.

If the weather looks good, go to the Knife Edge via Dudley. Otherwise, the Saddle, Cathedral or Hamlin Ridge. Hamlin is the most exposed and longest. The Saddle is the easiest. The Cathedral is the shortest, but not really difficult. I've hiked it, up and down, many times with no problems -- including once in January.

Weary

ScottP
02-24-2008, 23:35
The Knife's Edge trail is the best hiking I've done in the East.

rafe
02-24-2008, 23:49
I'll second Weary's emotion about Chimney Pond campsite. Here's a pic for those who haven't been there...

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/chim_pond_sunset_reflection.jpg

weary
02-25-2008, 00:12
I'll second Weary's emotion about Chimney Pond campsite. Here's a pic for those who haven't been there...

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/chim_pond_sunset_reflection.jpg
A great photo, but no photo does the site justice.

weary
02-25-2008, 00:17
I think Abol is easier. It doesn't have the rock scrambles that bother us older and stiffer types.

Weary

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 00:47
I've been up and down the Hunt Trail twice. This year I was thinking of going of the Abol and friends told me it was much more of a climb (obviously at 2.3 miles shorter than the hunt and they told me it was more rock scrambles.
There's just something sooooo beautiful about the Hunt Trail.

squeeze
02-25-2008, 01:38
Abol slide near the top

Kirby
02-25-2008, 08:32
Chimney Pond is easily the most beautiful campsite east of the Rockies. I would try to leave from Roaring Brook around noon. Camp at Chimney Pond and hike to the summit from there in the morning.

Weary

Seconded, pure amazing. The cabin is positioned in such a way that you have a perfect view of Baxter Peak. It is a very popular place during the summer.

Stay there if you can.

Kirby

mudhead
02-25-2008, 10:33
The Knife's Edge trail is the best hiking I've done in the East.
Best, coolest, or most unique?

I think Abol is easier. It doesn't have the rock scrambles that bother us older and stiffer types.

Weary

I think Hunt is easier. I dislike loose stuff. Takes the same amount of time for me.

But then, I am very partial to finally popping out into the open on the Hunt Trail.

All of them have character.

rafe
02-25-2008, 11:51
Knife Edge is about as exciting and intense as hiking gets before going technical. Incredible views on a clear day. I wouldn't want to be there in less than perfect weather, though.

weary
02-25-2008, 12:41
Knife Edge is about as exciting and intense as hiking gets before going technical. Incredible views on a clear day. I wouldn't want to be there in less than perfect weather, though.
I think the Hamlin Ridge Trail from Chimney Pond is technically the easiest trail to the summit and very scenic, at least in good weather.

But it has two or three miles of above timberline hiking, spectacular except in fog or high winds and rain.

But there is no bad way to reach the summit. I've been on all the trails multiple times, both summer and winter, and on a couple of winter bushwhacks to or from the open tableland.

Weary

orangebug
02-25-2008, 12:58
Keep on with the reviews. Just now AlmostThere and I are discussing a SOBO section starting around 6/10 and me leaving after the 100 Mile Wilderness and flying back, while he keeps going.

LadyBug told me I looked like I was 10 years old when I told her the plans. Hopefully, this will get me out of a 50th anniversary party for someone I don't know. :rolleyes:

I've always admired the photos of the Knife's Edge and have wanted to hit it - in good weather. Neither of us will have trail legs. AT will be in acute cigarette withdrawal. Hence, the estimates of difficulty are quite welcome.

Almost There
02-25-2008, 13:48
How long does acute cigarette withdrawal last????:eek: 4 weeks down already, I would hope things are working much better by June!!!! They're already somewhat better! Speak for yourself old man, I will have the lungs of a god by June!:D

HIKER7s
02-25-2008, 14:11
I found the Abol Trail to be hard (full pack) but invigorating. The Cathedral to be stupid hard just because of the loose junk . Id go fo rthe Knife on the clear day and the Chimeny Pond trail in less than great conditions if I ever do it a 4th time (summit)

agree with all about the CP campsite!

Alligator
02-25-2008, 14:16
I've been up both the Hunt and Abol Trails, but next time I'm in the park I will do the Knife's Edge. If you can't do the Knife's Edge, try the Abol Trail up and the Hunt down.

peakbagger
02-25-2008, 14:19
As for difficulty, there isnt any "easy way" up, you are climbing 4000 feet and most of the approaches are long. Abol as a shorter approach but is very steep.

From the east side of the mountain you have several options. The trail head is at roaring brook. If you have some flexibility on start date, try to pick up some last minute cancelations at Chimney Pond or Roaring brook so you can get an early start. Check out the Baxter State Park website for info.

From Roaring brook you can do the Helon Taylor trail to Pamola then across the knifes edge. This is just about the maximum exposure and little or no water. I would strongly recomend that you get you backpack dropped off at katahdin stream and use a day pack. There is a section of the knifes edge called the Chimney, it is borderline technical where using your hands is not optional and there is a uphill scramble that requires upper arm strength.

The next options all start at Chimney Pond, so hike from Roaring brook to chimney pond via an old tote road. Great views and well graded.

Cathedral trail is almost as spectacular as Knifes edge but does have better wind protection for most of the hike. It is one long boulder scramble. Less technical than the saddle section of the knifes edge but a lot steeper. Might be a good option if its breezy out.

Saddle Trail - is the bad weather route up out of Chimney pond. It is an old rock slide and gets very steep climbing up a gravel slide (watch for rocks kicked loose by people going down). Even though it is a bad weather route, it has extensive exposure to the west once you break out at the top of the slide which is where the wind typically blows in from.

The Dudley trail also accesses the knifes edge from Chimney Pond but would only be used if you can score a cabin.

Hamlin Ridge is a great hike but makes a long day a lot longer.

That is about it unless you want to do a mutiday trip in from the north.

ScottP
02-25-2008, 18:38
Best, coolest, or most unique?

all of the above

handlebar
02-25-2008, 19:10
If you get into Katahdin Stream CG and can switch to a day pack, It's only a couple miles down to Abol CG where the trail begins. If you don't have car support that's one way you can go up and down two different ways without carrying a full pack.

I've gone up both Abol and Hunt, but only down Hunt at the end of my thru. I wouldn't want to be carrying a full pack and trying to do the scrambles coming down the Hunt. Climbing up the Abol was very steep, but I thought, easier and it was certainly shorter. There were none of the steel rungs, hand-over-hand that the Hunt has.

mudhead
02-25-2008, 19:40
Kind of depends on priorities and variables.

Wheels/driver?

Dry and mild weather? Wet and windy?

Where you want to be on day 2 and day 3.

Is this a one shot visit to Baxter?

Almost There
02-25-2008, 21:01
Kind of depends on priorities and variables.

Wheels/driver?

Dry and mild weather? Wet and windy?

Where you want to be on day 2 and day 3.

Is this a one shot visit to Baxter?

We're starting on June 10th, Orangebug will hike to Monson with me, and I will continue on, I have until July 8 to hike. Wanna be up and down on the same day.

Slight chance I might be able to turn this into a thru-hike...I stress slight!

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 21:14
We're starting on June 10th, Orangebug will hike to Monson with me, and I will continue on, I have until July 8 to hike. Wanna be up and down on the same day.

Slight chance I might be able to turn this into a thru-hike...I stress slight!
I've met a few folks along the trail that were able to stretch their hikes into a longer version than they had initially planned, a few even turned it into a through hike. Have a great time. I'll be about 10 days ahead of you.
Have fun at Shaw's - Dawn and crew are fantastic.!!
And if you happen to be in Monson on a Friday night check out the Friday Night Jam at Tim's general store. Just a stone's throw from Shaw's - literally.:sun

The Solemates
02-25-2008, 22:18
We've done Cathedral, Abol, and Knife's Edge. You cant go wrong with any of these, but of those choices, I'd go with the Knife's Edge. Its pretty stellar.

rafe
02-25-2008, 22:26
Does anybody know how the IAT continues north from the summit? I think Cotton Joe told me, but I've forgotten...

rickb
02-25-2008, 22:43
I carried 10 days worth of food and stuff up the Saddle Trail because the Ranger talked me out of walking up a more challenging one.

Not so smart, but memorable just the same.

weary
02-25-2008, 23:29
Does anybody know how the IAT continues north from the summit? I think Cotton Joe told me, but I've forgotten...
The route changes from time to time. The Park the last I knew doesn't cooperate with the IAT, so the trail leaves the AT at Abol Bridge and loops around the park.

If you can get reservations, the best route is to hike through the park from Katahdin Stream to Russell Pond to South Branch Ponds and out the Matagammon Gate at the northern end of the park.

Maine is mostly logging roads and any road map will connect the two alternatives.

If you had asked a couple of days ago, I could have answered more precisely. Dick Anderson, who dreamed of the IAT, was chair of the MATC annual winter social that I attended Saturday evening.

If no one else answers I'll dig out my old maps and double check.

Weary

Footslogger
02-25-2008, 23:34
Only been up Katahtin 3 times and all three on the Hunt Trail. Can't imagine finishing a north bound thru and going up any other way.

Just sayin ....

'Slogger

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 23:38
Only been up Katahtin 3 times and all three on the Hunt Trail. Can't imagine finishing a north bound thru and going up any other way.

Just sayin ....

'Slogger
Dude. I'm so right there with ya. If I'm startin the trail it's the Hunt Trail both ways. It's just to magical, to powerful a draw for me to miss it either direction.
But I am planning an extra day at Katahdin Stream this year to climb Abol and descend the Knife Edge.

Footslogger
02-25-2008, 23:41
Dude. I'm so right there with ya. If I'm startin the trail it's the Hunt Trail both ways. It's just to magical, to powerful a draw for me to miss it either direction.
But I am planning an extra day at Katahdin Stream this year to climb Abol and descend the Knife Edge.
=============================

Sounds like a plan !!

'Slogger

notorius tic
02-25-2008, 23:41
:sunAbol up an down

bust your balls. do the abol.

The Solemates
02-26-2008, 00:33
We've done Cathedral, Abol, and Knife's Edge. You cant go wrong with any of these, but of those choices, I'd go with the Knife's Edge. Its pretty stellar.

Meant Hunt (the AT). Havent been up Abol.

HIKER7s
02-26-2008, 06:55

Isnt it Gaspe Point in Quebec or NB ?

GGS2
02-26-2008, 07:20
Isnt it Gaspe Point in Quebec or NB ?

The Gaspé Peninsula is that blob south of the St. Laurence River that pokes up into the Gulf of St. Laurence. It's in Québec, and borders on New Brunswick. The IAT goes north from Katahdin to the New Brunswick border, across a bit of NB and then proceeds north through the Gaspé, mostly on the north side. It ends in Fourillon Park on the tip of the peninsula, just around the corner from the famous Rocher Percé. The IAT continues in Newfoundland, and follows the Long Range Mountains up the north west coast to Anse aux Meadows and Belle Island. Look at Nimblewill Nomad's web site for a complete journal of the trip and numerous references. He hiked the whole Eastern Continental Trail from Key West to Belle Island.

rafe
02-26-2008, 09:51
GGS2, my question is -- which trail does the IAT use to get "off" Katahdin (for nobos.)

HIKER7s
02-26-2008, 10:35
GGS2, my question is -- which trail does the IAT use to get "off" Katahdin (for nobos.)

I dont know if there is a continuous connection...I would be interested if there was one as well.

mudhead
02-26-2008, 10:50
Weary's route would be practical. Official?

weary
02-26-2008, 11:30
Weary's route would be practical. Official?
Unlike the AT's white blazes, there's nothing sacred about the IAT route. The official guide book suggests that hikers may want to canoe one section as an alternative to the blazed trail.

Just wander north until you reach Quebec's Gaspe peninsula. The boat trip to the Newfoundland branch is optional -- as is new geological evidence that the Appalachians may have historically connected with hills in Scotland.

BTW, if you choose to do the Scottish section, neither fording nor a canoe ferry are mandatory. However, you manage to get there is okay.

Weary

Almost There
02-26-2008, 12:31
as is new geological evidence that the Appalachians may have historically connected with hills in Scotland.

BTW, if you choose to do the Scottish section, neither fording nor a canoe ferry are mandatory. However, you manage to get there is okay.

Weary

AWWW, ya' gotta ford or you ain't a real hiker!:D

HIKER7s
02-26-2008, 12:38
Unlike the AT's white blazes, there's nothing sacred about the IAT route. The official guide book suggests that hikers may want to canoe one section as an alternative to the blazed trail.

Just wander north until you reach Quebec's Gaspe peninsula. The boat trip to the Newfoundland branch is optional -- as is new geological evidence that the Appalachians may have historically connected with hills in Scotland.

Weary

I dont know if I was in the connective tissue in Scotland to these Mtns but I did roam all over them when I was station at the sub base in HolyLoc in the 80's

Beautiful country

DawnTreader
02-26-2008, 13:07

For me, you can't beat the up and over.
Me and Morgie started at Roaring Brook, spent one afternoon exploring chimney pond, then left at 4:00 a.m. up the Helon Taylor to Pomola, then over the knife edge to Baxter Peak, and down the Hunt Trail to start our Southbound Section... A fantastic route IMO

GGS2
02-26-2008, 13:53

I've never tried, and I understand there's some problem with the park authorities, but I think Knife Edge is the obvious route. There are problems, though. I think the park service is not keen on that route, maybe because the connector isn't an official trail? I don't know. Then I guess Knife Edge can be pretty hairy with a full pack. IIRC, Nimblewill Nomad was forced to walk out the main gate. Since the park service doesn't, or at least didn't recognize the IAT as part of its mandate, I guess they don't recognize any official route either. IAT is a pretty new trail, and it has no official link with the AT that I know of, so some parts are pretty sketchy, I guess. I think the best maintained part is the Quebec section through the Chic Chocs, which is a fully supported provincial recreational trail.
Budder Ball and Zokwakii have a trail journal http://www.trailjournals.com/zokwakiiandbudderball/ (http://www.trailjournals.com/zokwakiiandbudderball/%5D) which describes leaving Baxter via Chimney then Russell Pond and Wasataquoik Stream trails, then Pogy Notch trail and out some tote road with a ranger station on it. I guess the trail is pretty sketchy through northern Maine and NB.

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 13:54
For me, you can't beat the up and over.
Me and Morgie started at Roaring Brook, spent one afternoon exploring chimney pond, then left at 4:00 a.m. up the Helon Taylor to Pomola, then over the knife edge to Baxter Peak, and down the Hunt Trail to start our Southbound Section... A fantastic route IMO

Really??? How did Morgie like it?? As much as he liked White House Landing??
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gif

quasarr
02-27-2008, 18:00
I'm SOBO-ing and I want to take the easy way up! Won't be a super hiker on the way up like NOBOs are. :)

mudhead
02-27-2008, 18:13
Hunt up, Hunt down.

orangebug
03-01-2008, 00:14
Well, Almost There has talked me into it. We are going to do a SOBO section (he might do more) from Katahdin to Monson or so. Fly up Monday 6/9, shuttle and start walking 6/10 and I'll fly back from Portland 6/21 (Saturday).

How hard is it to arrange shuttles from Monson or general area toward Portland? (or does this need a new thread?)

Toolshed
03-01-2008, 11:21
Hamlin is longer but more gentle. I think the Saddle is the easiest way up. Cathedral is steep and (for me) terrifying to try to go down.
Here is a pic of the trail leaving the table land and winding around and going down Saddle Trail, with Hamlin in the Back.

Toolshed
03-01-2008, 11:23
Here is another from the Saddle Trail looking Towards Katahdin, with the Knife Edge to the left of Katahdin.