PDA

View Full Version : Palmetto Trail

Marta
02-24-2008, 22:12
I was down in Table Rock State Park this weekend to do a little hiking. I hadn't been there for a couple of years. David and I were looking at the big map in the Visitors' Center and saw the start of the Palmetto Trail. The Ranger said not that much of it has been completed yet. We went out and back to Table Rock SP for a few hours. The little bit we saw was quite nice--very impressive trail building, passed quite a few creeks and a few little waterfalls. It made me curious about the rest of the trail. How much is done? Has anyone here hiked much of it?

It was a beautiful weekend to be hiking in South Carolina. The weather was excellent. The trout lilies are up and about to open.

gold bond
02-25-2008, 09:44
I have hiked from Awendaw up through Poinsett State Park. And have done the sections thru Columbia and parts at the deversion canal. I think once they get it all together ir will be sweet. I am hoping one day that it will actually hook up to the AT via the Foothills trail if that is even possible.
It is mostly flat but does goe thru alot af history as it winds thru the swamps of the low country of SC.
There is a web site for ir. I will try and get the address and post it for you.

Marta
02-25-2008, 09:50
Thanks. I'm thinking the bits that are done would be good winter hiking.

KG4FAM
02-25-2008, 10:20
I am hoping one day that it will actually hook up to the AT via the Foothills trail if that is even possible.
Somewhere the Foothills links up with the Bartram and then the Bartram links up with the AT.

Webs
02-25-2008, 10:57
Part of the trail goes through Ft Jackson in Columbia. Once I went to the parking lot for it on post, but I couldn't find the trailhead. It was quite disappointing. :( The Palmetto Trail site says that it is still being worked on, though.

Here's the URL:

http://palmettoconservation.org/index.php?action=website-view&WebSiteID=127&WebPageID=2450

Nearly Normal
02-25-2008, 11:27
Somewhere the Foothills links up with the Bartram and then the Bartram links up with the AT.

There are fragments of the Bartram trail from Savannah Georgia to who knows where. It crosses the Foothills trail at Licklog creek. It crosses the AT at Wayah Bald and at least one more spot.
I'm not sure where the "offical" terminus is at either end nowadays.

Nearly Normal
02-25-2008, 11:33
http://www.palmettoconservation.org/index.php?action=website-view&WebSiteID=127&WebPageID=2450

gold bond
02-25-2008, 15:19
Thanks Nearl Normal! I have completed from Awendaw up thru the Wateree section. Right there is where the trail has not been completed but it jumps over and continues on in Columbia.I then started on the AT and have not continued on with the PT.

It does make for great winter hiking especially when you start at the low country end. Alot of history and some wonderfull scenery.It is flat though....a change from the AT!

KG4FAM
02-25-2008, 15:36
There are fragments of the Bartram trail from Savannah Georgia to who knows where. It crosses the Foothills trail at Licklog creek. It crosses the AT at Wayah Bald and at least one more spot.
I'm not sure where the "offical" terminus is at either end nowadays.
I thought that after it crossed the AT at Wayah it came back to the AT at Cheoah Bald and that was the terminus. Does it go even farther?

The Solemates
02-25-2008, 22:47
this was my back yard growing up, literally. ive done table rock dozens of times and the foothills half as many. we used to trail run it in preparation for our thru hike. once the palmetto trail is completely finished, it is definitely on my list to do one of these days.

I visited the website; they've changed a few routes since I visited it last. Looks like the northernmost portion near oconee was changed to go past station cove falls, which is a great waterfall. this thread has got me nostalgic and excited :)

ed bell
06-04-2008, 21:46
Another section has officially opened in Croft State Natural Area in Spartanburg County (http://www.pd-go.com/index.php?action=website-view&WebPageID=21881&WebSiteID=127). I was in Saluda NC this past weekend and drove by one of the trailheads for the Greenville reservoir passage. I hope that the trail will quicken it's pace towards completion. The projected mileage of the Palmetto Trail coupled with the Foothills Trail would add up to over 500 miles of long trails in SC. Something to be proud of, for sure!