PDA

View Full Version : bag vs pad

Wags
02-24-2008, 23:20
so i'm closing in on completing my list of things to get before i head out. the last two big items (besides my stove) are my sleeping bag and pad. one of them is going to take a hit in price. either i get a decent bag and a **** pad or i get a good pad and a **** bag. at some point down the road i'll replace said **** item w/ a decent one, but for now i have to do this for financial reasons. please don't suggest i get a mediocre of both, b/c then i'd have to replace both eventually. also, through the advise of a fellow WB member, i'll be getting a 40+ bag as i won't be doing much cold weather camping/hiking until at least next fall. so i'm likely to go w/ a 40+ and a 0+ down the road. :D

so what'll you have? good bag or good pad? recommendations?
i'm 6'0 165 and sleep normal (not hot or cold)...

ps i know nothing about pads other than everyone seems to use some form of thermarest.

help me out brosefs

shelterbuilder
02-24-2008, 23:29
so i'm closing in on completing my list of things to get before i head out. the last two big items (besides my stove) are my sleeping bag and pad. one of them is going to take a hit in price. either i get a decent bag and a **** pad or i get a good pad and a **** bag. at some point down the road i'll replace said **** item w/ a decent one, but for now i have to do this for financial reasons. please don't suggest i get a mediocre of both, b/c then i'd have to replace both eventually. also, through the advise of a fellow WB member, i'll be getting a 40+ bag as i won't be doing much cold weather camping/hiking until at least next fall. so i'm likely to go w/ a 40+ and a 0+ down the road. :D

ps i know nothing about pads other than everyone seems to use some form of thermarest.

help me out brosefs

I'm gonna jump in here real quick and then head for some sleep....
Have you looked in Campmor for bags? They have some that go down to 30* that aren't too costly - 30* will give you a little more leeway for more 3-season camping. They are synthetic, and a little heavier than down, but if they get wet in the field, you can wring out the excess moisture, climb in and dry it out with body heat. As for pads, try the cheap blue pads at Wally World - full-length, they're (I believe) 3/8 inch thick, can be doubled up for 3/4 inches in winter weather, and are cheap enough that they get destroyed, you won't care too much.

G'night, now....

aaroniguana
02-24-2008, 23:30
$5 walmart blue pad, cut down to fit the footpring of the bag. And a WM bag. That'd be my choice, if I had it (and I really do, I just like what I already have).

wtmntcaretaker
02-24-2008, 23:31
get a good bag and $#!% pad. bag is your primary warmth pad is just cumfort. you could die with the wrong bag. you might just be uncomfortable with a s**t pad.

Jim Adams
02-24-2008, 23:33
first off...when are you hiking?
A 40*+ bag will not make the cut until after mid May at the earliest.

Definitely buy the bag first. The bag will be the most expensive and the more important of the two as far as safety and comfort goes plus, the pad(even an expensive one) will be cheaper to purchase and therefore probably easier to buy when the time comes.

geek

wtmntcaretaker
02-24-2008, 23:34
primaloft is a great insulator. I second the suggestion of a 30*

dessertrat
02-24-2008, 23:39
A five dollar blue ccf pad available at the evil Walmart and cut down to size will do just fine. Get a good sleeping bag, and forget the fancy pad. Thermarests are not necessary.

Bearpaw
02-24-2008, 23:41
A cheap blue foam pad will still provide excellent insulation, though comfort will be a bit less. Your sleeping bag is NOT the place to skimp for the sake of your budget. Shop carefully online for specials and you can land a good bag for reasonable money. If you're near an REI, remember you can get 20% off any one regularly priced item during the month of March so long as you're a member. This might work out well for you.

Wags
02-24-2008, 23:49
bag, bag, bag, bag, bag, bag

i'm seeing a recurring theme here :D

Wags
02-24-2008, 23:51
one of the guys here suggested i go w/ a 40+ b/c a 30+ will be too hot in the summer and the 40+ can always be warmed by adding clothes. thoughts?

wtmntcaretaker
02-24-2008, 23:54
a 30* can always be unzipped for ventilation. 40* can be a little skimpy, depending where and when. I have used a 40*down for a couple years now. haven't had a problem. If I were to do it again I would go with a synthetic primaloft 30*

Tinker
02-25-2008, 00:36
Good bag, cheap pad. You can buy either or both used.

A used Thermarest 3/4 length can probably (most likely, if you ask me nice enough) be purchased for $25.00 (plus shipping) :)

take-a-knee
02-25-2008, 01:38
Good bag, cheap pad. You can buy either or both used.

A used Thermarest 3/4 length can probably (most likely, if you ask me nice enough) be purchased for $25.00 (plus shipping) :)

Add a full length ridgerest to that 3/4 thermarest all you'll be padded and warm. You could still be warm (with less padding) by adding a 1/4in evazote from Gossamer Gear or Oware, this pad will keep the thermarest from being punctured.

Wags
02-25-2008, 01:44
tinker why would i pay you $30 bucks when everyone here is saying i should give walmart $5? heheh

Wags
02-25-2008, 01:49
ohh i reread that and i hope that didn't come off as me being a dick

Tinker
02-25-2008, 01:51
Try sleeping on a blue foam pad, then try sleeping on a Thermarest. World of difference.
You could buy a brand new Thermarest style pad cheaper if you buy an off brand. Google the terms self inflating foam pad. You might get lucky.

Tinker
02-25-2008, 01:51
No offense taken.

Wags
02-25-2008, 01:53
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermarest-3-4-Length-Standard-Inflatable-Sleeping-Pad_W0QQitemZ330214562529QQihZ014QQcategoryZ87101Q QcmdZViewItem

like that?

Tinker
02-25-2008, 02:00
If it doesn't have any leaks, it's worth it. I know it says it doesn't have any leaks. My pad is worth more to me than that, since I loan it out to friends from time to time.
Good find.

Wags
02-25-2008, 02:04
jesus those pads are freaking expensive. i may just put my tent on a pile of pine needles for awhile.

Tinker
02-25-2008, 02:11
In the days before Thermarest, most sleeping pads were either Ensolite (a softer version of the modern blue foam pad, open celled foam, which is basically the foam you find in a couch cushion (not chopped foam), or a combination of both. My first pad was a combination - closed cell foam on the bottom, where it might get exposed to moisture, and open cell on the top, with a fabric cover - waterproof on the bottom, breathable on the top. You could probably make your own by combining the two types of foam and make a light but bulky and relatively comfortable pad.

Wags
02-25-2008, 02:13
tyvek b/t the two?

Tinker
02-25-2008, 02:17
I would use rubber cement to glue the two foam types together, maybe glue some tyvek to the bottom.

tomsawyer222
02-25-2008, 06:32
Try sierra trading post if price is really getting you you could get a good pad there cheap most of the time

napster
02-25-2008, 06:59
I'd go with a warmer bag cause Im a cold sleeper but here is a 40* goose down for $119.00 at 1lb 14oz https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39348729&memberId=12500226 and a blue cheap foam pad will work fine.

bigcranky
02-25-2008, 08:27
A 30-F bag with a full zipper can be draped partially over you as a quilt in warmer weather. This works even when it's freaking hot -- I did it in the Shenandoahs a couple of years ago when the nighttime temps didn't get much below 75.

That same 30-F bag works great with appropriate clothing down into the teens. Done that one many occasions.

The 40-F bag will be just as hot in mid-summer, and nowhere near as warm in spring and fall. After owning a lot of bags, I now have two: a 30-F and a 5-F, both Western Mountaineering (and both purchased on sale!) They work for me through all four seasons in the Southern Appalachains.

Tinker
02-25-2008, 12:01
Better idea for pad.

Pick up one of those cheap Thermarest sit pads and use it in conjunction with a closed cell foam pad.

Tinker
02-25-2008, 12:06
Thermarest trail seat:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39347168&memberId=12500226

Wags
02-25-2008, 12:57
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=376421&memberId=12500226

how about that? cost will be about the same as what you offered to sell your used one to me for.

Wags
02-25-2008, 13:16
any of these look appealing? i'm not particularly interested in the cost and maintenance of down...

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39279768&memberId=12500226

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=226&memberId=12500226&productId=39278683

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=226&memberId=12500226&productId=39279765

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/773091

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/756912

Wags
02-25-2008, 13:18
nevermind on that last one - the mh lamina. too short :(

Alligator
02-25-2008, 13:26
I'm going to suggest you aim for a 20F bag. You'll be covered for about 3/4 of the year. If you get a 35 or 40 degree bag, you'll need to go with a warmer bag, increasing the cost of the next bag. But if you go with a 20, you'll be able to get a light summer bag. These can be real cheap on clearance.

Hooch
02-25-2008, 13:41
Definitely don't skimp on your sleeping bag at all, under any circumstances. You'll be one sorry, cold, miserable individual of you do. Get the best sleeping bag that you possibly afford and buy a cheap-o blue CCF pad from Wally-World. If you sleep cold, and can afford it, shell out a few bucks for a quality sleeping bag liner or buy a bag rated to colder than you think you'll need. The blue CCF pad will probably last you a while, but replace it up the trail if you wish to do so. I'm sure there are plenty of outfitters (http://www.bluffmountain.com/index.asp?cat=164439) out there who would be happy to help you out. :D

bobcat13
02-25-2008, 13:52
jesus those pads are freaking expensive. i may just put my tent on a pile of pine needles for awhile.

When available I often do this if using a tent. It increases warmth and cushion. Goes great with my $3 teal foam pad. (blue is way too trendy haha)

Blissful
02-25-2008, 14:45
Get a good sleeping bag and a thermarest z rest pad. If you need a 40 degree bag, the Marmot pounder is excellent. Has been on sale too at various places. Great summer bag.
But I like Marmot anyway.

(And since someone mentioned it in an earlier post - Jesus lives)

Wags
02-27-2008, 00:36
i think i'm going to go w/ this

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/NFCBKBL.html

some guys recommended 40+, some recommended 30+ so i went w/ the average :D

Wags
02-27-2008, 00:39
on that note, does mateable mean mateable to all?

what i mean, will my long, right hand zipper hook up to my girls regular women's left hand zipper?

Wags
02-27-2008, 00:40
lol and will they mate across brands?

will TNF mate w/ marmot, lafuma, ect?

Panzer1
02-27-2008, 00:50
It would help a lot if we knew how much money you have in your budget.

But without knowing that I would say go with the cheap pad. For $30 you could go with a full sized closed cell foam pad like the Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest pad. See below:

Lightweight: Superlight for situations when every ounce counts.
Warm: Ridges increase softness; valleys trap warm air.
Long-Lasting: Durable closed-cell foam can take years of abuse.
Closed-Cell Foam.
Size: 25 in. x 77 in. x .625 in.
Rolled Size: 25 in. x 8.5 in.
Weight: 1 lb. 3 oz.

For $35 you could go with a Therm-a-Rest Z-light:

Compact: Accordion-style design lies flat and packs small.
Ultralight: Light enough to carry on virtually any adventure.
Warm: Egg-carton pattern enhances warmth and softness.
Closed-Cell Foam.
Size: 20 in. x 72 in. x .75 in.
Folded Size: 20 in. x 5 in. x 5.5 in.
Weight: 15 oz.Later when you get more money to buy a self inflating pad, this could become a spare.

Panzer

Wags
02-27-2008, 01:07
and for her?

Sierra Designs Rock Creek 35F Down Sleeping Bag for Women

Wags
02-27-2008, 23:19
has anyone given any thought to carrying a cut down pool float as a pad? i mean, they're made to float in the water, so insulation should be good and if they get wet so what?

Happy
02-28-2008, 00:19

help me out brosefs

Your MOST important, and most used gear is your sleeping bag...SPLURGE for the MOST money, for the best... that can last a lifetime! If not you will end up spending much MORE money and end up with 4 bags like me!

A good 20 degree down bag from WM or similar will last forever... and can go to lower temps with a down jacket and head cover for colder months, and opened as a quilt for the summer months. Spend all you can there!

As already stated, a pad is cheap and can be adjusted for comfort during the winter(added full length cheap pad) or summer months(without), based upon temps and your required comfort level!

Summit
02-28-2008, 00:32
As has been suggested, determine your comfort tolerance. Get a $5 walley world pad and the lowest temp synthetic (cheaper) bag your budget will afford. Sleep on a hard floor (not carpeted) at home. If you sleep well, you're set. If a closed cell pad is too hard for you (it is for me), then raise some funds somehow and get at least an off-brand ThermaRest equivalent, or best, a Big Agnes Dual Core mattress. Not sleeping well night after night can put a real damper on the hiking experience. Trust me . . . I know.

NorthCountryWoods
02-29-2008, 15:45
As has been suggested, determine your comfort tolerance. Get a $5 walley world pad and the lowest temp synthetic (cheaper) bag your budget will afford. Sleep on a hard floor (not carpeted) at home. If you sleep well, you're set. If a closed cell pad is too hard for you (it is for me), then raise some funds somehow and get at least an off-brand ThermaRest equivalent, or best, a Big Agnes Dual Core mattress. Not sleeping well night after night can put a real damper on the hiking experience. Trust me . . . I know.

Just to add....it takes a few nights to get used to sleeping on a pad. At least for me. The first night is rough and gets better from there.

Go with a cheap pad and spend more on the bag. Also remember when shopping for bags actual temperature ratings can vary. One 40 degree bag may be warmer than another manufacturers 40 degree bag.

Like someone else said, you can supplement the bag warmth by wearing more clothes.