PDA

View Full Version : Tarp comparison

bredler
02-25-2008, 09:08
I'm fairly displeased with my HH stock tarp, and I didn't get a chance to get a free hex tarp with their december orders, so I'm in the market for a new hammock tarp. Here's my four options and some info on them as I see it:

8'x10' Speer CatTarp 14.2oz $99
10'x11' Speer Winter Tarp 16.0oz $119
Jacks R Better Cat Cut Tarp 19.0oz $119
MacCat Standard Tarp 11.8oz $95

And here's the Pros/Cons for each one that aren't monetary or easily quantifiable:

8x10 Speer
Pros:
-lightweight
-Guylines included
-Stuffsack included (probably won't use anyway)
-Grommets good for ground setup
-Cat Cuts
-Seam sealed already
Cons:
-Less coverage than the Winter tarp
-not much cooking/lounging room
-basically just A-frame setup with possibility for ends closed

Speer Winter Tarp
Pros:
-LOTS of room
-Lots of coverage in rain
-Full closure option on ends
-Seam Sealed
-Grommets good for ground setup
-lightweight for size
-Hammock Camping book included
-Cat Cuts
-Additional "cat cut style" darts to allow for a more taught setup
Cons:
-Might be too big sometimes
-No Guylines included
-No Stuffsack included
-Additional $17 for guylines and stuffsack (already have something that can use for this anyway)

Jacks R Better Cat Cut Tarp
Pros:
-Plenty big (same size as Speer Winter Tarp)
-Jacks R Better Quality (I've been very happy with my other JRB gear)
-Lots of options for setup (12 tie-outs)
-No darts (again, makes for versatile setup, but possibly looser tension)
-Subdued Color
-Cat Cuts
Cons:
-Heavy, at over a pound this is the heaviest of the options
-Also might be too big sometimes
-Not seam sealed
-shallow cat cuts might not draw as taught as other options

MacCat Standard
Pros:
-Simple setup
-Seam Sealed
-Decent Coverage
-Sturdy construction
-Price, it is the cheapest of the options
-Cat Cuts
Cons:
-No setup options, A-frame and that's it.
-Probably the least coverage for out-of-hammock activities like cooking, changing, etc.
-No end closure option
-Deep cat cuts near ends might mean some blow-in rain, and leaves less room for centering error

I'm having a tough time deciding, although I'm leaning towards the speers.

Thoughts?

take-a-knee
02-25-2008, 09:19
I have a Maccat Deluxe for my Hennessy and I'm well pleased. Poster Justjeff uses the Maccat Standard and he says it is large enough, the consensus is the standard is too short if you have the tall/long hammock. I am strongly considering the Speer Winter Tarp, but I wouldn't want to carry that weight year round, I would use it for the winter only. You can hang the Maccat Deluxe pretty low, you just can't seal off the ends.

I believe the JRB tarp is designed to cover a bridge hammock, so I don't know how well that would work for your. If you want a large tarp I'd get the Speer Winter, if you want a standard/ high quality tarp I'd get the Maccat.

FanaticFringer
02-25-2008, 09:35
I have the JRB cat tarp and have only used it once. I used it to cover my nephews borrowed Treklight double hammock. I use my DIY Black Cat tarp to cover my JRB bridge. Am gonna experiment with the JRB tarp on my bridge.
I'd get either the JRB tarp or the Speer winter tarp if it was me. The option of being able to close the ends of the tarp will come in real handy for blowing rain, blowing wind protection. I'd go with the MacCat Deluxe over the Standard if your going that route.

BR360
02-25-2008, 09:37
I got the HH Hex with my hammock 2 years ago. Really like it. Maybe compare sizes on this with the others to find out what Hennessey considers the "proper" size?

bredler
02-25-2008, 09:43
You can hang the Maccat Deluxe pretty low, you just can't seal off the ends.

Good to know. Do you get decent protection that way?

I believe the JRB tarp is designed to cover a bridge hammock, so I don't know how well that would work for you

Should be plenty of coverage, I would imagine the bridge needs about the same or a little more actually.

If you want a large tarp I'd get the Speer Winter, if you want a standard/high quality tarp I'd get the Maccat.

You talked about the weight too. With a weight difference of 2.2oz, would it really be that much difference? I could just do without my redundant Gerber folding knife (I have a small leatherman as well) to make up the difference:-?. If I was to get one tarp (meaning I don't intend to purchase another tarp down the road until this one bites it), which would it be? Still leaning towards the speer winter.

BR360
02-25-2008, 10:01
The winter is a bit more weight and price. But it is bigger and more flexible. You can "go to ground" and batten hatches with it if high-winds make it necessary, plus it is advertised as being big enough for 2.

If you want to buy one for the duration, then overbuy for some needs knowing that it will be just right for others. You can't make a small tarp big, but you can make a big tarp small (by the way you pitch it).

As you are aware, if weight is that critical, just cut a couple of ounces somewhere else.

FanaticFringer
02-25-2008, 10:02
Get the Speer winter tarp and be done with it. No wrong decisions whichever you decide.

Should be plenty of coverage, I would imagine the bridge needs about the same or a little more actually.

You talked about the weight too. With a weight difference of 2.2oz, would it really be that much difference? I could just do without my redundant Gerber folding knife (I have a small leatherman as well) to make up the difference:-?. If I was to get one tarp (meaning I don't intend to purchase another tarp down the road until this one bites it), which would it be? Still leaning towards the speer winter.

take-a-knee
02-25-2008, 10:42

The two ounces wasn't enough to deter me from buying a Maccat Deluxe over the Standard. I would buy it again. As FF said, you can't go wrong with the Speer Winter tarp, it boils down to how much weight you are willing to carry and what sorts of temps/weather you intend to hike in.

Tinker
02-25-2008, 20:18
Need more options?

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php?cPath=33&osCsid=f43718237d06cab5a4a2140439335a92

bredler
02-25-2008, 23:28
Need more options?

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php?cPath=33&osCsid=f43718237d06cab5a4a2140439335a92

Too little, too late, and too much money!
Those tarps were SUPER light, but I don't care if it actually lifts my pack an oz, I'm not paying that much more for something that much less durable and not as big.

Thanks though;)

Speer Winter Tarp ordered.
The JRB tarp was too many tie-outs. I hate dealing with small cord and I didn't want to seam seal. Otherwise it was a dead heat between the two. Especially after someone pointed out to me that,

"hmmm aren't those two tarps the same material and dimensions with a very nominal difference in cat cuts (material removed)? Yes. Then why does one supposedly weigh 3oz less AND is seam sealed :-??" So we deduced that they probably weigh about the same, and that leveled things up.

Oms
02-25-2008, 23:31
I didn't like the tarp that came with the Hennessy either, so I bought the MacCat Deluxe which I think is great. Then I purchased a Speers hammock with the standard 8x10 tarp. I have asked this on other occations, but the center ridgeline tie-outs are weird. I'm guessing that it gets attached to a ridgeline and not to the trees. When I tied it that way it pulled on the seams. So in the end I ended up buying another tarp from OES because of all the other tarps I have seen, it is in my opinion made the best. The ring tie-outs are extremely strong and the craftsmanship is excellent. For my second hammock (son is hanging now) I bought the flat 8x10 in case I just tarp it in the winter.

Hooch
02-25-2008, 23:35
IMO, you can't go wrong with either Speer tarp. They were both designed by Youngblood and are great products. Ed is a great businessman, makes and sells a great product and his customer service is second to none. Do yourself a favor and buy a Speer product. :D

take-a-knee
02-25-2008, 23:40
IMO, you can't go wrong with either Speer tarp. They were both designed by Youngblood and are great products. Ed is a great businessman, makes and sells a great product and his customer service is second to none. Do yourself a favor and buy a Speer product. :D

Everyone talks about what a great guy Ed Speer is so I ordered an SPE (pad extender) from him the other day. First impressions are most positive, it is very comfortable and works well with a thermarest.

The Speer Winter Tarp will be my next purchase. That tarp and a Maccat Deluxe covers all the bases.