PDA

View Full Version : Where's a good place for someone to join me for a week on my thru?

walkinfool
02-25-2008, 10:39
My girlfriend is planning to come down from Boston to join me for a week of my thru-hike, but where not sure where or when yet. Any suggestions?

We're looking for a good week-long section, keeping in mind that a week for her as a non-thru-hiker might cover less distance than for a thru-hiker. We can meet pretty much anywhere on the trail, as long as there's good transportation between the airport and the trail. I'm starting March 17 and she'd like to join me when the weather warms up.

Thanks!

Lone Wolf
02-25-2008, 10:40
shenandoah national park

walkinfool
02-25-2008, 10:54
shenandoah national park

Thanks, LW. Shenandoah was my first thought, but we haven't been able to find transportation to/from the park. Can you point us in the right direction for transportation? And do you think the whole park can be done in a week by a section hiker? Just thinking section hikers are probably a little slower than conditioned thru-hikers.

Thanks,
walkinfool

Thoughtful Owl
02-25-2008, 10:54
I would agree with LW. As an idea, Your girl friend could fly into Dulles Intl. hop a commuter to Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport and they could then shuttle her to Waynesboro to meet you and the two of you can hit the Shenandoahs there. Of course she could meet up with you pretty much and place through the Shenadoahs Fly into Dulles get a ride from there.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 10:57
Mahoosuc Notch.

big_muddy
02-25-2008, 11:21
The Whites, an easy bus ride to and from Boston.

walkinfool
02-25-2008, 11:34
The Whites, an easy bus ride to and from Boston.

We've done a bunch of hiking in the Whites and she'll be doing some weekend hikes with me there, but we're thinking of meeting further south for a week to hike where neither of us have been before. Good idea, though. We definitely enjoy being so close to the Whites.

max patch
02-25-2008, 11:37
My wife met me at SNP. Easy hiking, lot of access points, etc. We hiked for 4 days and spent 3 days in DC. And a quick side trip to Weazies for breakfast.

A-Train
02-25-2008, 11:55
idea 1-public transportation to Harpers Ferry (via DC). Hike north from HF up to Boiling Springs (100 miles) and take public transportation from Carlisle, PA.

#2-Bus to Delware Water Gap (via NYC). Hike north to Bear Mountain (around 90-100 miles?) and take bus from Bear Mtn back to NYC. If things are going well/making good time, continue on to Pawling NY or Kent CT with public transp.

Johnny Thunder
02-25-2008, 12:20
#2-Bus to Delware Water Gap (via NYC). Hike north to Bear Mountain (around 90-100 miles?) and take bus from Bear Mtn back to NYC. If things are going well/making good time, continue on to Pawling NY or Kent CT with public transp.

And if you spend lots of time enjoying each other's company then she could get back to NYC by way of Port Jervis, Greenwood Lake, and Rt 17 (Arden Train Station).

walkinfool
02-25-2008, 13:27
This is great advice. Keep it comin' if anyone else has anything to add. I've got a couple different people meeting me at different times, so I need as many ideas as you have. Thanks!

-walkinfool

Blissful
02-25-2008, 14:32
My hubby joined us in NY for several weeks - first week got to go through the Lemon Squeezer, see the wildlife exhibits at Bear Mtn, across the Hudson and see the big Keffer Oak and head into CT. Something different.

If she can do the Whites, SNP would be very easy (maybe too easy?). No problem doing it in a week.

I might be more inclined to have her join you farther south, to Dragon Tooth / McAfee knob and Tinker Cliff areas. Spectacular region of VA.

Tinker
02-25-2008, 20:10
Lone Wolf beat me to it.

Shenandoah. Without a doubt. Road nearby, well graded path, waterfalls near the Trail to explore, prepared food..................huh?? oh, sorry, got distracted there. :)

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2008, 20:16
Shenandoah Park is a wonderful idea.

Also consider Southern New England is it would mean a whole lot less travel time for your friend both before and after the hike.

Connecticut and Mass. are easy hiking, with lots of access points. Great Barrington to Williamstown would be nice, or perhaps Pittsfield to Manchester Center VT. A tougher, but prettier stretch, would be Williamstown MA to Manchester VT or Rutland. This is easy driving from Boston, or just about all of these places are accessed by Greyhound; Peter Pan; or Vermont Transit bus lines.

Other possibilities in addition to Shenandoah would be Maryland and southern PA which are quite easy. One could fly to DC and then take the commuter train and meet you at Harpers Ferry.

Anyway, lots of possibilities here.