PDA

View Full Version : Taking children on the trail?

arasjane
02-25-2008, 11:04
Hi everyone I need a little advice here. Has anyone taken their children on the trail with them? If so at what age? I have started really getting into Hiking just a few years ago. Now I have a little girl who just turned 16 months. I want to take her for little day hikes, Some people told me I was insane to try it this summer, Am I? I really feel she'd be ok.

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2008, 11:12
Can you keep her from getting Lyme disease? The pics of the kids with permanent facial paralysis always upset me. If you can protect her, then get one of those baby holsters and go for it.

cannonball
02-25-2008, 11:15
In a word......... Why. Take her out in your back yard and play with her, it will amount to the same thing. Save yourself and her some grief and wait a few years.

StarLyte
02-25-2008, 11:22
If you really want to take your child, you should. Just educate yourself, and read others' experiences. And yes, ticks are a very important subject!

When I hear of hikers taking their children, I immediately think of Cindy Ross and Todd Gladfelter.

Here's a little tidbit to get you started... go here (http://www.llama.org/CindyRoss/default.htm)

tlbj6142
02-25-2008, 11:23
I take my kids hiking and backpacking all the time. Though they haven't been on the AT.

Here's a few photos...

Dolly Sod's June 2007 (http://tinyurl.com/yp6w37)
Dolly Sod's Fall 2007 (http://tinyurl.com/22qpsm)

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 11:25
AJane. Take your little girl out hiking with you. You're a caring mom. You and she will have a great time. And that time with her out hiking is the fuel that builds a strong person.
Don't let negative input keep you and her from enjoying the times of your lives.
Have a great hike/hikes!!!:sun:sun:sun:sun

Pennsylvania Rose
02-25-2008, 11:27
There have been lots of discussions on wb about hiking with kids, even little ones. Here's one:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=337997&highlight=kids#post337997

another:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23905&highlight=baby

Have fun!!!

max patch
02-25-2008, 11:29
Take your little girl out hiking with you. You're a caring mom. You and she will have a great time. And that time with her out hiking is the fuel that builds a strong person.

How much "hiking" is a 16 month old girl actually going to do?

I think the best suggestion -- for now -- is to "hike" in the back yard.

If you want to spend time outdoors you can always go car camping.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 11:29
When all is said and done and you and your baby daughter are actually out hiking, nothing that anyone has to say will have the slightest significance. It will be you, her and the nature around you - and you will know you're living beautiful.

Blissful
02-25-2008, 11:33
We took Paul Bunyan when he was an infant in our Tough Travelers backpack. He went backpacking with us for the first time at nine months of age. You're never too early. :)

He carried his own backpack for real at age 10. Before that we took day hikes everywhere, even when he was real little. The woods are a great place to learn, much better than any classroom, IMO. (we decided to home school him)

Now he has completed the whole AT at age 16. He is 17 now and is taking classes at the community college.

Blissful
02-25-2008, 11:34
When all is said and done and you and your baby daughter are actually out hiking, nothing that anyone has to say will have the slightest significance. It will be you, her and the nature around you - and you will know you're living beautiful.

This nearly made me cry - for real.

StarLyte
02-25-2008, 11:36
I forgot to mention in my previous post...

I started taking my granddaughter out hiking with me on level ground, just for 1-3 miles on day hikes - she was only 3 years old at the time.

She absolutely loved it. We hiked to fascinating views, lots of wildlife too.

When I started taking her on the A.T. with me, I noticed she was just like myself...loved socializing with other hikers, cooking, telling her little "trail" stories, and the first day she hiked on the A.T. was 11.7 miles. I couldn't believe it.

Most importantly, she noticed everything in her environment. She was aware of scents, vegetation, trail condition, weather. I taught her to always keep an eye on the sky especially if we're near a bald.

We Trailnamed her "Flopsy" because she had one heck of a time on the PA rocks. She also does a little trail volunteering. She wants to be out there. She's only 10 now. We have 3 major hikes planned this year already.

Think sensibly and you can do it.

StarLyte
02-25-2008, 11:39
This nearly made me cry - for real.

Blissful you are such a beautiful person. :sun

weary
02-25-2008, 11:52
We backpacked as a family starting when the three kids were ages 3, 5. and 6. Our first hike was three days at Chimney Pond, 3.5 miles from the parking lot at Roaring Brook. The walk in took about six hours, mostly because I wanted the youngest to walk the distance. I never used a child carrier, though I did boost him over a few rocks.

My pack weighed about 60 pounds, but it was worth it. We got to camp in time to eat and to be set up for the night. We spent the next day exploring the area and watching the camp moose. When the youngest was five we climbed the rest of the way up Katahdin -- and were threatened with arrest for violating park rules.

In future years we visited most of the Baxter campgrounds and did sections of the AT in Maine.

The problem with a carrier is that once a child gets used to being lugged, it will insist on being carried on every walk, something I didn't want to have to deal with.

Weary

arasjane
02-25-2008, 12:00
For all your great responses!! Even the negative ones(so to speak) I am one who embraces the negs. Only because this gives me a different perspective on things. Right now she is 16 months so I figure by the time May rolls around she be a little more responsive to whats around her. She is a little adventurer(just like Mum) & I was thinking a few miles at a time. Living in Ma, I have unlimited trails to hit around here!! :D

Alligator
02-25-2008, 12:04
From about 2-3 years old is difficult. The child will not be able to go very far (about 1-2 miles) and may be too big for a carrier. What may look like a nice level easy trail to you may be a boulder field for the toddler. Plus the linear moving forward thing is a bit regimented as there's lots of cool stuff on the sides:).

Do take your child out though, just plan it differently. Your little girl will still fit the carrier in a few months. Just watch the weather and remember the kids are much smaller than you and therefore cool off faster.

I took my child out on an overnight at 2.5 years old, and will take him out again in just a month or two. We also dayhiked with him in the child carrier.

arasjane
02-25-2008, 12:07
I take my kids hiking and backpacking all the time. Though they haven't been on the AT.

Here's a few photos...

Dolly Sod's June 2007 (http://tinyurl.com/yp6w37)
Dolly Sod's Fall 2007 (http://tinyurl.com/22qpsm)
Thanks for the great response!
Those are some really nice pics!! & your kids look like they are having the time of their life!! Ooo I can't wait.:banana

arasjane
02-25-2008, 12:16
There have been lots of discussions on wb about hiking with kids, even little ones. Here's one:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=337997&highlight=kids#post337997

another:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23905&highlight=baby

Have fun!!!
Thank you for links I couldn't find them even after doing the search, Sorry everyone if I made a new thread out of content.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-25-2008, 12:39
Nothing to apologize about. No question can be asked too many times. Sometimes it's hard to find old info here (as you found out) just because there's so much to wade through, so a new thread is the way to go.

I hope you have as much fun hiking with your daughter as I've had with my kids over the years!!!!

cannonball
02-25-2008, 12:57
I want to be clear that I am all about getting the kids into the great out doors. I just feel 16 months is too young for Hiking. The reason I feel that way is I have 3 kids that were once 16 months old.;)
I think the experience should be one that both child and parent want to repeat. I just think you should wait a few years to actually hike any where. Trust me, carrying a 16 month old back to the car can be heavy:confused:.

jesse
02-25-2008, 13:05
try it. You will find out real soon if its a good idea or not.

HIKER7s
02-25-2008, 13:46
My sons have been going with me since they were 3 or 4. They started carrying their own pack at 7.

Your want to impart this trait for the outdoors and wandering to see and be in the natural world around you is a gift. That is to show (influence) them, no.1 -the outdoors and the yearn to wander and N0. 2- an interest that (you would want) they would carry for the rest o their lives.

That being said, in my opinion, you have to gear the hike to what it is you want to do. Which is inpart, the two reasons I give above. With a 16 Mo, I would keep it VERY basic. Dont go somewhere that challenges you. Keep it simple.

Remember, you first have to make sure the boot fits.....you have to ensure they will have enjoyable, memorable and creative outings. If you take a chance and go on a loop hike say for instance and the child gets a branch in the face, falls, it rains and they arent happy, stomach ache, gets stung, etc; they will associate the next hike with the unplesantness. (how many adults do you know that associate their dislike of wilderness hiking or general camping with something that happened when they were little)

I think you ought to build it up and if all goes well, let them see you going on your own hikes with the full gear up and such when they are 3,4,5,etc. Because as long as you take them on day trips and nice clean short jaunts that you are positive about, you going to build them up into nice little hikers.

ki0eh
02-25-2008, 14:07
I think you should go for it!

Our little one went on 2 4 mile hikes in a carrier - at 8 weeks old. By the time she was 16 months old she had already been carried (mostly) up the mountains on both sides of Duncannon and I think that's around when she did her third state high point (Connecticut). We had her out on bike rides in a stroller convertible to bike trailer at about 14 months. We took her on stroller hikes and right around 16 months took off (fortunately in the right direction) and walked about 3/4 mile on a city riverwalk.

Now we have a problem - she gets bored by flat dirt trails even ones with the promise of rocks. Last fall she climbed the GET's Thousand Steps http://www.hike-sst.org/highlights.htm and back down again entirely under her own power.

A more pressing problem is that she wants to be with other kids and we have trouble finding other kids whose parents want them to hike. PATC has had a family hiking program for car seat age kids http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=180&Itemid=158 and I've heard that some AMC chapters do too. We are trying to emulate this in SATC http://www.satc-hike.org/ but have yet to achieve critical mass.

I think our kids belong in the woods at least as much as we do! As others say, very close supervision is needed and forget about a point A to point B mentality.

orangebug
02-25-2008, 16:07
The earlier you start taking your child outdoors, the more likely your child will learn there is more to life than media and Wii's.

I find my 5 year old will object until songs or story telling gets them distracted from walking or boredom. She carries a token backpack with a blanket, doll and possibly a paperback storybook. I rarely go more than a mile with her, so she is strictly a dayhiker babe.

My 29, 26 and 12 yo girls could care less about hiking. Too many bugs and started too late.

tlbj6142
02-25-2008, 17:03
Those are some really nice pics!! & your kids look like they are having the time of their life!! Ooo I can't wait.:bananaThey do have a great time. And don't let someone tell you young kids can't do miles. In my last trip, my 4yo did ~7 miles in one day. It was a bit too much (mostly because we didn't stop as often as I would have liked due to other reasons), but all of my kids have done 5+ mile days around 4-5 years. They may whine a bit while hiking, but they always seem to have plenty of energy to run around once we get to camp. :-?

I have found the key getting your kids to walk some distance is to have good snack food that they will eat on breaks. Not too steep of terrain (sort of takes the AT out of consideration:D) and the promise of plenty of free play time near a creek once we get to camp. It helps to set milestones, "let's hike for 15 more minutes and we'll take a break", "hike to the top the hill and we'll stop", "next time we see a 'good' spot to take a break we will", etc.

I do all of the camp chores as it helps me pass the time. When I hike solo, or with other adults, I hate camp time. But I know my kids need the break and time to play. So, I spend my time slowly setting up/down camp while they play.

I don't supervise them too closely once we get to camp. The oldest sort of leads the other two around. I just give them boundaries (don't cross the creek, don't go past that trail intersection, etc.). The oldest two have been "lost" (they thought they were lost, but I could see them). They have done the right thing, stand still (or sit down) and blow their whistles (they have to carry a lanyard around their necks with a small LED and whistle on it at all times). Getting lost helps them pay more attention to what is around them ("Gotta pass that big tree to get back to camp", etc.).

Mags
02-25-2008, 17:44
He is just talking about day hikes..not a thru hike.

I have many friends and they safely take their young children out hiking.

Yesterday, I went snowshoeing with my friends and their 18 month old child. (It is the only time i will snowshoe now. :) )

He even went "hiking" for a little while in his snow boots.

Last summer, my friends took him on his first backpacking trip. They went a mile or so in, and called it good.

Other friends take the little ones backpacking, skiing (in a sled), etc.

I challenge you to tell me that my friends are being irresponsible parents when all their children are enjoying themselves.

It can be done at a young age. A love of wilderness is a gift that will echo for many years to come.

bfitz
02-25-2008, 17:51
My friends baby had 500 miles before she turned one year old.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 18:56
My friends baby had 500 miles before she turned one year old.
A child blessed from the start for sure.:sun

Lilred
02-25-2008, 19:01
Blissful you are such a beautiful person. :sun

either that or premenopausal......;)

Tinker
02-25-2008, 19:56
My son climbed four 4,000 footers in New Hampshire before his fifth birthday. He was great going up, but needed a boost over blowdowns and high step-ups. I had trouble keeping him hydrated, even with his favorite powdered drink. He was often more tired than hungry, but he enjoyed being "on top" of a mountain (especially because I praised his accomplishments), and remembers to this day feeding a Canada Jay out of his hand.
When he was a baby, he would lie in his travelling rocker and stare at trees and flours for hours. We plan on hiking the "Hundred Mile Wilderness" this summer.

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2008, 19:59
Go for it and have fun.

By the way, check out the website for Kelty Packs (www.kelty.com)

They make great kid-carrier backpacks that will last you for years.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 20:04
Go for it and have fun.

By the way, check out the website for Kelty Packs (www.kelty.com (http://www.kelty.com))

Good stuff Jack.:sun

Blissful
02-25-2008, 20:04
Originally Posted by StarLyte http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=549309#post549309)
Blissful you are such a beautiful person

Ha, ha, well yeah, and I was also fighting symptons of the flu this AM and had even gotten the (unmentionable) flu shot back in October.

But regardless, I still thought it was a great thing to say.

And Starlyte - you are too!!!!

Blissful
02-25-2008, 20:07
Go for it and have fun.

By the way, check out the website for Kelty Packs (www.kelty.com (http://www.kelty.com))

So do Tough Travelers. This is the one (http://www.toughtraveler.com/cat2.asp) we used 17 years ago (sniff again)

Phreak
02-25-2008, 20:14
All children should be on a leash at all times! J/K!!! :)

I love seeing youngsters on the trail. I passed a couple hiking on the trail near Woody Gap with a young one (6-7 months would be my guess) last Saturday.

ki0eh
02-25-2008, 20:30
So do Tough Travelers. This is the one (http://www.toughtraveler.com/cat2.asp) we used 17 years ago (sniff again)

We bought an REI brand kid carrier and it served us well. However we bought it because we didn't realize Tough Traveler was still in business! After looking at this page and other links from their site, seems that's a common thought. :(

The Solemates
02-25-2008, 23:24
Our daughter did many miles in utero, including scrambling in the Boundary Water Canoe area in Northern Minnesota, hiking the Appalachians in Kentucky, ambling down the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin, and trudging through the Upper Peninsula in Michigan.

She is now 7 months old. We take her hiking and traveling all the time and do not hesitate.

At 6 weeks of age, she went on her first dayhike. We did a ~9 miler up to Mount Rogers from Massie Gap and she did great. We car camped every night for 3 nights.

At 10 weeks of age, she was on the trail for a 16 hour day that started at 5AM amidst winter conditions in the Adirondacks. There were 2 foot snowdrifts at the summits. We car camped every night for 3 nights in sub-freezing temperatures.

Again at 10 weeks of age, we dayhiked around High Point, NJ.

At 11 weeks of age, she accompanied me (along with my wife) on a business trip to Boston. We drug her around the city for days, hours at a time.

At 6 months, we took her to Oklahoma's Black Mesa area and did a ~8 miler.

We have another trip planned in June for hiking above 14,000 feet for 2 days. We havent decided yet if she will go with us on this one. She will be 10 months.

To date, we have not backpacked in with her. We have only car camped while doing dayhikes. This is what I would suggest for starters.

..The bottom line is that kids are resilient and will adapt to whatever the conditions may be. Now, all kids are different and you should never push your child to the point of discomfort or past their own safety bounds. People think we are crazy, but our daughter absolutely loves it!

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 23:26
Cool story TSole. Thinking how much more serene the entirety of my life would have been had I had folks that gave me that experience to build on.:sun

The Solemates
02-25-2008, 23:29
PS. We travel quite a bit...our daughter has been to 18 states and she is 7 months old. Get 'em accustomed early!

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 23:46
PS. We travel quite a bit...our daughter has been to 18 states and she is 7 months old. Get 'em accustomed early!
Nice:sun:sun

Feral Bill
02-26-2008, 00:36
[quote=Phreak;549969]All children should be on a leash at all times! J/K!!! :)
How about muzzles?

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 00:44
[quote=Phreak;549969]All children should be on a leash at all times! J/K!!! :)
How about muzzles?
Certainly of those children that we all have to admit exist, that need muzzles, I'm sure that the amount of time a child spends hiking on the trail is inversely proportional to the amount of muzzling needed.

OregonHiker
02-26-2008, 00:50
Hi everyone I need a little advice here. Has anyone taken their children on the trail with them? If so at what age? I have started really getting into Hiking just a few years ago. Now I have a little girl who just turned 16 months. I want to take her for little day hikes, Some people told me I was insane to try it this summer, Am I? I really feel she'd be ok.

15 months on the AT in a Kelty carrier
He could hike is age from 2

A similar thread got myself a couple of snarky remarks about pushing my kid or living vicariously through him...

but he wanted to do what he wanted to do.

be prepared and expect that you need to hike on your kids schedule...for example be prepared to stop and through stones in the river or to pick up your pace to follow.

When my kid was six we hiked Mt, Washington in NH. The little guy would go ahead and would stop and count the time until we could cath up to him.

one..two three..etc.

I was looking for big rocks for his pack

AlwaysHiking
02-26-2008, 02:42
Took my sister on the PATC family backpacking trip a couple years ago. She loved it. It took about a mile for her to get used to the fact that in the woods it's OK to be dirty. She was the oldest by about 2 years I think, but she was able to let loose and have fun with the younger kids. I felt a little out of place though being the only non-parent adult, but it was for her so I made the best of it too. One thing I learned from watching the other families is that when taking kids backpacking, you've got to subscribe to a totally different mindset than when you're without.

A more pressing problem is that she wants to be with other kids and we have trouble finding other kids whose parents want them to hike. PATC has had a family hiking program for car seat age kids http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=180&Itemid=158 and I've heard that some AMC chapters do too. We are trying to emulate this in SATC http://www.satc-hike.org/ but have yet to achieve critical mass.

I think our kids belong in the woods at least as much as we do! As others say, very close supervision is needed and forget about a point A to point B mentality.

HIKER7s
02-26-2008, 06:35

LOL I was thinking the same thing