PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Duo..too big for 1 person?

sirbingo
02-25-2008, 11:27
:D Whats up people!

I've got a question for you Lunar Duo owners.

I am thinking of getting this tent....is it too big for solo hiking.
I really like the extra vestibule space.

Also, if you own it do you like the tent overall?

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2008, 11:29
Have you looked at the Tarptent Rainbow?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2008, 11:34
Don't own it, but have seen it several times and really looked it over. It would be a palace for a solo hiker. There would have been enough room in the Duo for both Dinos and most of their gear without the vestibules.

How much room one needs inside a tent is a subjective thing - some of us like to spread out more (and some of have spread out and need more space :D) I can certainly understand wanting two vestibules - one for storage and the other for cooking and such in the rain.

big_muddy
02-25-2008, 11:36
I have both the Lunar solo and duo. The duo is probably too much room for one person. I've found the solo is plenty large and it sheds wind better than the Duo. Ron has a new tent out the Refuge. Right now he is selling it for $200. It weighs 5 oz more than the Lunar solo and it is designed for two people. Might be exactly what you want, for both light weight and room.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2008, 11:42
The Refuge looks sweet, but I haven't met one in person yet. If you like the Refuge, you might also want to consider the Antigravity Gear Brawny tarp-tent (http://www.antigravitygear.com/products.php?cat=69)- it now comes with a vestibule and it is huge for one -- and it weighs about 23 ozs (must use a trekking pole for set up or add a 40 - 44" pole and the weight of it)

ChinMusic
02-25-2008, 11:45
The Duo is big enough to play 4-handed bridge. It is huge inside. A friend of mine switched from the LS Solo to the LS Duo so she could have more room to change, etc. She found the LS Solo too cramped for her needs.

Do females generally prefer a larger tent?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2008, 11:46
Do females generally prefer a larger tent?IME, yes

10-K
02-25-2008, 14:57
I got a duo for solo trips with the idea that it's just a matter of time before I spend the better part of a rainy day in a tent and might appreciate some room to move around.

I've never seen a 1 person tent that I could be comfortable in if I had to spend a day in it.

Egads
02-25-2008, 18:39
Don't factor the size, factor the weight and the ease or difficulty of set up.

Egads

grumpypickle
02-25-2008, 20:00
I do own this tent and have used it on several trips. I am also using it on my thru hike this year. It is a fairly easy set up but it is not free standing. I am tall and broad (6'3" 230lbs) and I just couldn't fit right into a solo. Granted, I probably have a bit more room than I need, but it is nice to get whatever gear you want comfortably in with you. Plus, if you are judicious about your weight elswhere, you can get away with the ozs. Even with a larger shelter. I am clocking in at 35lbs, a weight I am comfortable with.

Egads
02-25-2008, 21:07
I gave the Lunar Duo to my son for graduation 2 years ago. It's a great roomy tent. I'd rather solo with it than the Lunar Solo which I have, as it has 2 doors and vestibules yielding in better ventilation and views. The top is a single sheet w/o seams.

Egads

windigrrl
02-25-2008, 21:22
I'm the person ChinMusic is talking about. I prefer the Duo for the reasons stated. I have more room to change in and being a female out with mostly guys, it makes it easier. I like the head room. That was the biggest deciding factor in it over the Solo. When it's raining, I can sit up without hitting my head.

ChinMusic
02-25-2008, 22:20
Hey windi - I didn't know you posted on this site. Glad I stated your position well......heheh

slow
02-25-2008, 23:20
:D Whats up people!

I've got a question for you Lunar Duo owners.

I am thinking of getting this tent....is it too big for solo hiking.
I really like the extra vestibule space.

Also, if you own it do you like the tent overall?

Great tent ,fast setup,and much better in the heat over the solo or any without cross vent ,like most one person tarp tent's.

BUY IT.:)

slow
02-26-2008, 20:16
I just checked my duo,after 25 winds heavy rain in fl today...bone dry and standing.:D

HeartWalker
02-26-2008, 21:05
I own this tent and use it solo. I'm 6' 3" and and my 85 lb Flatcoated Retriever fit just fine. It is light enough for me to justify carrying it rather than my Europa 05 and much more comfortable.