PDA

View Full Version : Pack Size for a Thru-Hike

Drake
02-25-2008, 13:05
A friend and I are planning our Thru-Hike to begin in Feb 2009, and are looking at packs for the trip. Our first thought is to go with a large capacity pack, thinking this will make it easier on ourselves, to have the pack space and not need it rather than the other way around. Our first choice was the Kelty Red Cloud 6650 pack, with, as the title suggests, 6650 Cubic Inches of storage space. My question is what is the average pack size that should be needed for a thru-hike, with two hikers travelling together, ideal pack weight of around 45 pounds?

clured
02-25-2008, 13:07
45 pounds will make for a pretty miserable hike. Get smaller, lighter gear, and go with something around 3000 cubic inches.

Frosty
02-25-2008, 13:15
A friend and I are planning our Thru-Hike to begin in Feb 2009, and are looking at packs for the trip. Our first thought is to go with a large capacity pack, thinking this will make it easier on ourselves, to have the pack space and not need it rather than the other way around. Our first choice was the Kelty Red Cloud 6650 pack, with, as the title suggests, 6650 Cubic Inches of storage space. My question is what is the average pack size that should be needed for a thru-hike, with two hikers travelling together, ideal pack weight of around 45 pounds? An underfilled pack doesn't necessarily ride better than a filled one, and why carry the extra weight of the excess pack material (even if only a couple pounds) for six months, 2000+ miles, and up and down the equivalent stairway of a 45,000 story building?

Standard advice is to buy the smallest pack you need. You do this by buying all your other gear first, then bringing it to an outdoors store and start putting it into packs. When you get one that feels right on your back, there's your pack.

taildragger
02-25-2008, 13:15
A friend and I are planning our Thru-Hike to begin in Feb 2009, and are looking at packs for the trip. Our first thought is to go with a large capacity pack, thinking this will make it easier on ourselves, to have the pack space and not need it rather than the other way around. Our first choice was the Kelty Red Cloud 6650 pack, with, as the title suggests, 6650 Cubic Inches of storage space. My question is what is the average pack size that should be needed for a thru-hike, with two hikers travelling together, ideal pack weight of around 45 pounds?

45 lbs is considered a little heavy by most people, and 6650 is a GIANT pack. The general consensus is to buy all your gear, then take it to an outfitter and find a pack that it fits in and carries comfortably.

Try to keep it light, 45 lbs will be hard on most people. Getting total weight (4 days food, water, pack, and gear) into the 30's isn't hard, just pay close attention to the weight of your gear. Consider using down and maybe tarping (or tarptenting) instead of using a more traditional tent, etc...

wrongway_08
02-25-2008, 13:16
Jam 2 from Go-Lite, 3,100 cubic inches. It will keep you packing only what you need. I can fit all my winter gear in it and have just a little left over incase I need to carry extra water or a little more then 10lbs of food.

Drake
02-25-2008, 13:38
Thanks for the tips.

Hooch
02-25-2008, 14:05
This (http://www.rei.com/product/747520) is the pack that I use. The advice others have given is something that you should definitely heed. The thing with a large pack is that when you have all that room, your first instinct is to want to fill it with something, therefore making a heavy-ass pack. You don't want that, trust me. I used to carry a 70lb pack in the Marines and you don't want to come anywhere close to that. First, both you and your hiking partner get the gear you need, as someone else suggested. Once you have all your gear, take it with you to a reputable outfitter and have someone there who is experienced and knowledgeable in pack fitting help you pick out a few packs that may work for you. Load all your trash into each one and walk around the store for a few minutes with all your gear on your back. As another poster said, once you find a pack that works, all you have to do is buy it. :D

Blissful
02-25-2008, 14:39
You won't need anything larger than 4,000 with the right equipment for a March start (less in summer). But be careful about hiking with someone and sharing gear, esp a friend. Most likely you will need your own stuff in case the other drops out (which happens a lot). Your pack will need to reflect that possibility.

hopefulhiker
02-25-2008, 14:43
3,400 ci

hammock engineer
02-25-2008, 14:50
Buy all your crap and get the pack that fits it with room to spare. My perfect size is over 4000 ci, I have a lot of bulk in my gear. The smaller the pack the more pack Janga you need to play when packing to get everything to fit.

wilconow
02-25-2008, 14:50
Go on a week long hike. See what works for you. A week is about the longest you'll be in between resupplies. Reading stuff here is helpful but you have to find out what works for you by going out.

Frosty
02-25-2008, 15:42
Go on a week long hike. See what works for you. A week is about the longest you'll be in between resupplies. Reading stuff here is helpful but you have to find out what works for you by going out.Before he buys a pack? What does he carry his gear in?

HikerRanky
02-25-2008, 16:17

As someone that has a Kelty Red Cloud 6650 ( won it at a conference of project managers), and a GoLite Pinnacle (4400 cu.in), I can tell you that the Red Cloud is NOT the pack that you want for the AT.... Weighing in at a whopping 6 pounds 8 oz. versus the Pinnacle at 1 pound 9 oz, the Kelty is just too much weight for a person to carry. It's great if you are carrying spare gear for a group of scouts on a camping trip, but that's it....

Hope this helps....

Randy

wilconow
02-25-2008, 20:27
Before he buys a pack? What does he carry his gear in?

I said see what works for you.

88BlueGT
02-25-2008, 23:50
WAY too big of a bag and if your carrying over 45lbs of gear, you might want to look over your gear list again also. Go with some lighter, smaller gear.