PDA

View Full Version : dry mixes?

Peanut
02-25-2008, 14:34
Hi! I am looking to experiment with some recipes I've found, but can't find some of the ingredients...thought I'd see if you knew where I can find any of them...thanks!! :)

dried corn chowder mix
dried black bean soup mix
dired cheese sauce mix (w/out buying hamburger helper or au gratin potatoes or something)
shrimp in pouches (have found clams, crab, chicken, tuna, etc..., but no shrimp)....and I can only find oysters in a can...anyone know if they come in pouches?

Thanks a ton for your help!!

Hooch
02-25-2008, 14:37
Hi! I am looking to experiment with some recipes I've found, but can't find some of the ingredients...thought I'd see if you knew where I can find any of them...thanks!! :)

dried corn chowder mix
dired cheese sauce mix (w/out buying hamburger helper or au gratin potatoes or something)
shrimp in pouches (have found clams, crab, chicken, tuna, etc..., but no shrimp)....and I can only find oysters in a can...anyone know if they come in pouches?

Thanks a ton for your help!!Skip the shrimp, it's garbage! The lump crab in the foil pouch is tha bomb mixed with mac-n-cheese and s good pinch of Mrs. Dash. If you want to know about cheese sauce mix, PM cerberus45acp, he's got tons of the stuff and can probably tell you where to get plenty, too. The rest of the stuff, you're on your own, kid! Good luck, though! :D

envirodiver
02-25-2008, 14:40
You can get the shrimp in cans. I used to get it in pouches, but can't find it anymore. Not the best shrimp in the world, but it works in recipes.

You can buy the really cheap mac n cheese and take the sauce out.

The oysters do come in pouches. I've seen them before.

Blissful
02-25-2008, 14:42
Dried shrimp you can get from Oriental food stores but I didn't use it. Smelled to high heaven too. :)

We got a lot of the dry mixes at the Mennonite-type farmer's markets here in VA (several of them in my area of VA - in Harrisonburg, Stuarts Draft and Madison County). Might want to take a road trip down here. :)

budforester
02-25-2008, 17:18

dried corn chowder mix

Thanks a ton for your help!!
Here's a link (http://campdaddy.blogspot.com/2008/01/corn-chowder.html) to a DIY Corn Chowder mix, if that helps.

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2008, 18:24
Try substituting cheese and powdered milk for cheese sauce. Probably would taste better, too.

You can get those kinds of things from a food service supplier. Or from here: http://www.barryfarm.com/our_store.htm

Sorry, they have the cheese sauce powder on Amazon, but not on their own website, but if you contacted them they could provide it. The problem with ordering it from them through Amazon is the postage.

sarbar
02-25-2008, 18:51
Dried corn chowder...I'd use Bud's recipe! (Freeze dried corn would work well). Black bean soup mix? Look for the cups of soup, many stores carry them. Cheese sauce powder is found in bulk bins or online, though as noted you can always use dehydrated cheese and dry milk - or just use fresh cheese diced in :)

DAKS
02-25-2008, 18:54
i think you can find black bean soup mix under the fantastic foods label? i believe i have seen it in both a box, and in a "just add water" cup version?

Cherokee Bill
02-25-2008, 19:14
Try minimus.bus :-?

gumball
02-25-2008, 19:57
Do you have a Wegman's nearby? They have both the dried corn chowder and dried black beans in their organic section. They are staples for my freezer bag cooking recipes.

I think I've gotten the dried cheese powder at www.wildernessdining.com . I get most of my freeze drieds there to make recipes with. gum