PDA

View Full Version : Sleep system

Tempest
01-12-2004, 04:22
I'm planning a thru-hike for this year (leaving late March to mid April). I have a few sleeping bag questions that go along with sleeping in a UL Hennessy Hammock. I'm a bit concered about getting into and out of the sleeping bag while in the hammock. I'm looking at alternatives to conventional sleeping bags. Does anyone have any experiance using a hammock with a half bag? Has anyone tried sleeping pad/warm blanket combo? I've also looked at an ExPed wallcreeper (http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/slpng_bg/exped_wallcreeper_pl.html), has anyone used one of these? If you hike with some other than a regular sleeping bag I'd love to hear your methods.

hungryhowie
01-12-2004, 09:49
I've read some good stuff about people using quilts inside the hammock and an underquilt outside. Both of these are fairly easily made and you can get the entire weight very minimal. If you use down, you could make the quilt for about 18-20oz and the underquilt for about 14oz. Along with your hammock this makes for a 20-30*F sleep system for less than 4 pounds!

for the same amount of protection, comfort, and warmth, a tarp, quilt, and sleeping pad can't touch this.

For more info on making your own underquilt, check out thru-hiker.com's workshop section.

For more info on making your own down quilt, check out www.newsushi.net/quilt.html

-Howie

bearbag hanger
01-12-2004, 13:25
I'm planning a thru-hike for this year (leaving late March to mid April). I have a few sleeping bag questions that go along with sleeping in a UL Hennessy Hammock. I'm a bit concered about getting into and out of the sleeping bag while in the hammock. I'm looking at alternatives to conventional sleeping bags. Does anyone have any experiance using a hammock with a half bag? Has anyone tried sleeping pad/warm blanket combo? I've also looked at an ExPed wallcreeper (http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/slpng_bg/exped_wallcreeper_pl.html), has anyone used one of these? If you hike with some other than a regular sleeping bag I'd love to hear your methods.
I've been using a Hennessey Hammock for a couple years now and found getting in and out of a traditional mummy bag more difficult than when in a tent. Right now I use a Nunatak backcountry down blanket and it seems to work pretty good. But it's only good down to about 40 degrees. I've ordered a Feathered Friends Winter Wren, which has a center zipper instead of one on the side. I figure the Wren combined with the down blanket will get me down close to zero degrees. About 4 1/2 pounds for the two together. The real problem is what to do below me. Right now I'm depending on two closed cell pads for a total of 7/8 in below me (8 oz + 14 oz). Might work, might not.

The ExPed looks very similar to the Winter Wren, I like it a lot. It doesn't give a temperature rating, maybe you want a light down blanket for those times when you might run into some really low temperatures. The time you plan to start you shouldn't run into anything below freezing, but there have been those late spring time snow storms. Plus you have to remember that in a hammock, you may need a bit more protection from the temperatures than you would in a tent. On the other hand, the hammock will be so much better in the middle of summer than a tent.

Not sure I like the half bag idea, but it would be easier to use. The problem is your either in it all the way (will be hot in 50 - 60 degree weather) or all the way out (will be cold in 50 - 60 degree weather) since most of them do not have any zippers.

peter_pan
01-14-2004, 18:35
As a hammock hanger of 2 year and 100 plus nights "hanging out" i must admit to using 5 model and 20 different pad items/ideas. While i found many things work, and i have slept well into the 20s and thru snowfall, hungry haowie is right use an under-quilt and a quilt. You will probably have to make them yourself. My quilt is 2.5" and my under-quilt is 2" down. This is good into the 20s with nothing else.

SGT Rock
01-21-2004, 02:58
I've read some good stuff about people using quilts inside the hammock and an underquilt outside. Both of these are fairly easily made and you can get the entire weight very minimal. If you use down, you could make the quilt for about 18-20oz and the underquilt for about 14oz. Along with your hammock this makes for a 20-30*F sleep system for less than 4 pounds!

for the same amount of protection, comfort, and warmth, a tarp, quilt, and sleeping pad can't touch this.

-Howie

As a hammock hanger of 2 year and 100 plus nights "hanging out" i must admit to using 5 model and 20 different pad items/ideas. While i found many things work, and i have slept well into the 20s and thru snowfall, hungry haowie is right use an under-quilt and a quilt. You will probably have to make them yourself. My quilt is 2.5" and my under-quilt is 2" down. This is good into the 20s with nothing else.

I am thinking alnog these same lines after living in my hammock for four months. I am looking for some plans and pics of the underquilt. I've already seen the one at thru-hiker and was wondering if there are any others as well.

I am also thinking of making Howies quilt with footbox as another project. I like that thing and have admired it ever since he made it :D

Hammock Hanger
01-21-2004, 10:50
Getting into a sleeping bag and even a liner is realy not that hard. I did it that way for the first year or so.

Now I use my 45 degree EMS down bag with the zipper zipped just enough to make a foot pocket. The rest lays over me like a quilt. i have made a down outer quilt for cold weather. Also I have an external pocket for any pad I may want to use. It depends on the time of year.

Sue/Hammock Hanger

hungryhowie
01-22-2004, 10:22
I am thinking alnog these same lines after living in my hammock for four months. I am looking for some plans and pics of the underquilt. I've already seen the one at thru-hiker and was wondering if there are any others as well.

I am also thinking of making Howies quilt with footbox as another project. I like that thing and have admired it ever since he made it :D

You're too kind. I've redesigned the quilt and made two over the holidays. It fixes a few problems for us ground sleepers, but for you tree hangers, the first design might be proportionally better. Anyway, at least I can sew it and make it look professional now...

I've got some pics, just haven't gotten them up yet.

-Howie

brian
01-22-2004, 16:11
You're too kind. I've redesigned the quilt and made two over the holidays. It fixes a few problems for us ground sleepers, but for you tree hangers, the first design might be proportionally better. Anyway, at least I can sew it and make it look professional now...

-Howie

More importantly...you have plans somewhere!! Go get them! Quickly! Scan them or type them! Post them!!!!

Brian!

tlbj6142
01-22-2004, 16:32
I am thinking alnog these same lines after living in my hammock for four months. I am looking for some plans and pics of the underquilt. I've already seen the one at thru-hiker and was wondering if there are any others as well.Check out http://www.imrisk.com/ and http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/.

The later is quite simple and doesn't use down.

Note, both of these guys use speer-like hammocks not HH so you may need to adjust your design accordingly. Or build a Speer hammock. Take a look at Risk's (first link) he has a complete hammock setup (fly, netting, double-layered hammock, straps) that only weighs 20oz.

SGT Rock
01-23-2004, 10:22

-Howie

I remember before I deployed you mentioned wanting to change a couple of things. If I remember right it was the width and something else. So what is new?

hungryhowie
01-23-2004, 16:09
changes
- wider by 4 inches (2in each side).
-longer by 6 inches (to account for a a countoured neck area)
-contoured neck area
-draft tubes down entire sides and meets at the footbox
-round footbox with no visable seams
-two straps on each side that will be able to buckle to my thermarest

The new design weighs about 23oz (quite a bit heavier), but I put 3oz more down into it (we both want to use them longer each year before having to go back to the sleeping bags), a zipper (to attach it to other one I made for my girlfriend), and it is larger all around. It's probably about 2-3oz heavier before putting in the down and these extras, but that's the price you pay for bells and whistles.

Regarding the plans: I will try to get them online in Feb or Mar. I'm getting my new computer then and will have access to all of the materials I need. I should be able to get some basic photos online fairly soon, but I'm really busy right now (4:45am - 11pm 7-days/week with a full load at school plus a hefty work schedule). I'll post back here when they're online.

Also, AYCE bought a plotter so I might be able to get him a pattern to duplicate. It's really a much more complicated design than the previous (though it is easy to simplify). Whatever, we both like them.

-Howie

flyfisher
01-26-2004, 11:59
Hi hammockers!

I have been doing some experiments with cold and hammocks for some time. Maybe some have already read the links on my site.

Most recent cold night (7 F) See the first experiment on the page.

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammock.htm

I have tried double bottom hammocks that hold a pad between the layers:

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm

Different ways to use a pad, mainly by overlapping sections of a pad:

http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

I have worked on a 1.1oz breathable ripstop hammock cover to hold heat in and give an air space:

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm

And lastly, I have been working on in integral underquilt:

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/warmhammock.htm

For the 7 F (-10-15 windchill) night, I used a 17 oz down quilt, a 3/8 inch pad, the WarmHammock under insulation, and the TravelPod.

Maybe this will spark some new thoughts about different ways to stay warm in the cold in a hammock.

Have fun! If anyone wants to come over to the Hammock Camping yahoo group and play, many of our posts this winter are along these same lines:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/messages

pedxing
01-29-2004, 11:11
I've been a little more simplistic and have fewer hammock nights (about 30 in an ultralight A-Sym) - but so far I've been happiest using a Western Mountaineering Caribou - which is 21 oz. and has a full zipper, a nylon bag liner and a pad from owfc (their bevazote equivalent) that I have slowly cut down. I keep it extra wide, but short. The pad and the liner were 7 oz combined last I weighed them.

This combination gives me flexibility - I use the Caribou as a blanket most of the time. Often the liner and the pad are enough warmth and I have the bag laid out beside me. As it cools, I use it as a blanket - and slowly zip it up when needed. Extra clothes will take me to cooler temps. When the rain kicks the crap out of me (like last summer when I had days and days of intense rain) - the bag and pad work well for a night in the shelter.

In the meantime, I am grateful to all of you who are working on more sophisticated solutions for colder weather and eagerly attend to new developments.