PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Greylock, ME

Christopher Robin
02-25-2008, 16:56
I've been told that Greylocks main road will be close this Summer to repares. 1. Is this true?
2. Will Babson lodge be open for Thur-hikers? :eek:

Chenango
02-25-2008, 17:08
Yes, it is closed. I was up there last year and it was supposed to be closed for two years. He is an excerpt from the website.

"The road system is closed to all public access: automobiles, bicycles, and foot traffic for the 2007 and 2008 seasons. Roads are currently under repair for safety and access improvements. This affects public access to certain facilities; as a result the summit is not accessible by automobile, Bascom Lodge and the Veterans War Memorial Tower are closed, the campground (primitive overnight area) and Stony Ledge are accessible by hiking only. Full operation and access to these facilities are scheduled to resume in 2009 upon completion of the Historic Parkway road repairs. The Visitors Center and trails remain open."

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/mtGreylock/

Nice walk to the top!

Tinker
02-25-2008, 20:05
Last year one of our bicycle customers came back from Greylock all beat up. He didn't remember what he hit, he went down that fast. I don't know what legal action he took, if any, but an accident involving potentially life threatening injuries is almost a sure way to draw attention to the potholes and frost heaves that the road up Greylock has.

burger
02-25-2008, 22:03
Too bad...the view from the top of the tower is sweet. But at least this way, hikers will have the summit all to themselves. And it's not as if there aren't a million food/lodging options right near the trail in the northern part of MA...

GGS2
02-25-2008, 22:20
Last year one of our bicycle customers came back from Greylock all beat up. He didn't remember what he hit, he went down that fast. I don't know what legal action he took, if any, but an accident involving potentially life threatening injuries is almost a sure way to draw attention to the potholes and frost heaves that the road up Greylock has.

Bicycle accidents often involve head trauma, and trauma induced amnesia. So it is not uncommon for cyclists to not remember what happened. They wake up in a ditch and have no idea what happened for up to an hour or so before that. Makes them poor witnesses to their own accidents.

The Solemates
02-25-2008, 22:25
we blew a tire last year going up greylock. the potholes really were pretty bad. thankfully it was a rental:eek:

refreeman
02-25-2008, 22:55
Yes Mt Graylock will be closed and Bascon lodge will be closed. However, they will have a rent-a-cop there to keep hikers from enjoying the place.

Tis a shame, it is a beautiful place.

Blissful
02-26-2008, 13:49
Pretty overgrown, etc when we were there. Nice view though. Someone left their trash bag in the priviy too, not cool.

Appalachian Tater
02-26-2008, 15:01
Because of the title of this thread, I just want to point out that Greylock is in Massachusetts, not Maine.

emerald
02-26-2008, 16:46
I pointed out that Mt. Greylock is in Massachusetts yesterday and asked that this thread be moved to Hostels in Massachusetts if such a category exists.

I also pointed out to whomever is moderating and might not know ME=Maine and MA=Massachusetts.

What happened was a title change, rather than a transfer. MA is now ME, so this time I post where everyone can see.:o

Appalachian Tater
02-26-2008, 16:52
Oh, I didn't even notice it was under "Hostels & Lodging in Maine", I just saw the ME in the title.

Christopher Robin
02-26-2008, 17:00
Thank you for the info. I thought I typed MA. not ME. get a typo erorr, because I live in MA. & have hike most of the trails in Greylock.