PDA

View Full Version : Atmos 50 or Z55

JStarr
02-25-2008, 17:01
Hello everyone,

First post on here. Starting to plan my AT thru-hike for 2009 or 2010 and at the same time looking to buy a smaller pack than my current Gregory Palisade for weekends etc. I'm looking at an Osprey Atmos 50 or a Gregory Z55 for use on weekends and potentially, (preferably) as my AT Pack. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on these packs or any others as an AT thruhike pack?

Rainman
02-25-2008, 18:25
If I was buying (another) pack right now it would be the GG Nimbus Meridian.

I tried on an Atmos 50 once. It has a horizontal stabilizer bar that hit me in the back of the head.

The Z55 looks pretty cool. I think the harness is not adjustable and it is not as customizable as the Nimbus Meridian.

Just my $..02

JStarr
02-25-2008, 18:40
I'll have to take a look at the Meridian as I am not familiar. I tried on Both the Atmos 50 and the Z55 with weight.. they both fit me really well.. I guess my only question is durability and the Z55 has a bit more room. although i do enjoy the aesthetics of the Atmos 50 thats not a good enough reason for buying one over the other..

I'm still searching, thanks for the input i'll have to take a look at the Meridian this week.

handlebar
02-25-2008, 19:01
I did my AT thru with a Gregory Z-Pack, predecessor to the Z55. It did not hold up. The shoulder harness started to tear where it was sewn to the top of the pack/framesheet. Had to send it to Gregory at Waynesboro, though to give them credit they did send a loaner. Turns out they fouled up sending the pack back where it should have gone. It went to the outfitter at Waynesboro instead of to where I was further up the trail. Plus, I had to repair the pack again---did it myself. This time it was both pack straps--with one of those stitching awls at Gorham NH just before ME.

I looked at both the Atmos 50 and the Nimbus Meridian and tried both on. I needed a new pack for my PCT thru attempt this summer that can handle the extra weight of about 6 liters of H2O. I found the Nimbus to be much more comfortable that the Atmos. I did several weeks of trail maintenance up and down the trail last year and at one point I hefted about 70 lbs (way overweight, a grip hoist and some snatch blocks) about 2 miles and 1000 ft up to our base camp. It was tolerable, though not comfortable, and it did handle the weight. Also, the pack carried great on winter training backpack trips this winter with loads of up to 45 lbs. I'll only have that much when hiking out of town with 5 or 6 days food and 6 or 8 Liters of water now that I've lightened up a bit. :)

The Nimbus has interchangable hip belts and shoulder straps. Be sure to go to an outfitter that knows how to fit you!

burger
02-25-2008, 22:07
Handlebar, is it possible you were overloading the Z-pack? Mine has well over 1000 miles on it, and the only problem I've ever had with it is when I accidentally broke the framesheet (my fault entirely, doing something stupid). And, even though I admitted this to the Gregory folks, they took the pack back, gave me a loaner, and repaired my pack for free, no problems. I knew a few other people on the trail with Z-packs who loved theirs, too.

bredler
02-26-2008, 02:46
Make sure you try on the Atmos, or wherever you order from should have a very liberal return policy. The atmos is a great pack, but isn't very adjustable. I tried one on in the store and loved it. Then after 25 min wearing it, I noticed the frame digging into my hips. The frame for the atmos is pretty body-type specific, so I ended up with an Aether 70 (had originally looked at the 60, but because I didn't want to have to upgrade later I stuck with the larger one...I can always just keep my down stuff less compressed.).

Can't speak to the Z-pack, but definitely try them on, if you have a good employee helping you out, you'll get good advice.

JStarr
02-26-2008, 11:34
I have tried on the Atmos and the z55 with weight for about 10 min. or so each.. but only in REI. It seemed to fit me very well and i felt zero discomfort from the hip belt. REI (where i'm planning on purchasing) does have a very liberal return policy at least as a member so i dont think i have much to worry about there (at least from my understanding) I guess i'm just curious if the Atmos 50 will be too small of a pack for the AT. I wouldnt think so as i'm only planning on carrying 32 lbs (may seem heavy for some) at a Maximum. I spoke with an REI Employee who thru hiked in 06' She recommended the Atmos 50 or the Z55 for my needs, but recommended that only a 30lb load in the Atmos 50 would feel comfortable apart from the 35lb pack rating. I will be thru-hiking with a friend so some of the weight can be split between the two of us.. tent etc.. However i have been hearing good things about the Atmos 60,65. I just dont know if i want to go much bigger. I already have a gregory palisade.. far too big for a thru hike. IMO., but then again i've never thru-hiked.

Overall i'm looking to find a decent pack to use for weekend trips until my AT departure date and still use that pack for the AT to avoid buying more than one pack. Now i'm just trying to decide between the Atmos or the Gregory.

handlebar
02-26-2008, 15:29
Handlebar, is it possible you were overloading the Z-pack? Mine has well over 1000 miles on it, and the only problem I've ever had with it is when I accidentally broke the framesheet (my fault entirely, doing something stupid). And, even though I admitted this to the Gregory folks, they took the pack back, gave me a loaner, and repaired my pack for free, no problems. I knew a few other people on the trail with Z-packs who loved theirs, too.

Well, I did have about 43 pounds coming out of towns and it's designed for about 35----and it made it (barely) from Delaware Water Gap to Gorham with mostly a "summer" load and on that section it wasn't overloaded and still I found the load lifter straps and shoulder straps stitching coming out.

bulldog49
02-27-2008, 23:15
I have tried on the Atmos and the z55 with weight for about 10 min. or so each.. but only in REI. It seemed to fit me very well and i felt zero discomfort from the hip belt. REI (where i'm planning on purchasing) does have a very liberal return policy at least as a member so i dont think i have much to worry about there (at least from my understanding) I guess i'm just curious if the Atmos 50 will be too small of a pack for the AT. I wouldnt think so as i'm only planning on carrying 32 lbs (may seem heavy for some) at a Maximum. I spoke with an REI Employee who thru hiked in 06' She recommended the Atmos 50 or the Z55 for my needs, but recommended that only a 30lb load in the Atmos 50 would feel comfortable apart from the 35lb pack rating. I will be thru-hiking with a friend so some of the weight can be split between the two of us.. tent etc.. However i have been hearing good things about the Atmos 60,65. I just dont know if i want to go much bigger. I already have a gregory palisade.. far too big for a thru hike. IMO., but then again i've never thru-hiked.

Overall i'm looking to find a decent pack to use for weekend trips until my AT departure date and still use that pack for the AT to avoid buying more than one pack. Now i'm just trying to decide between the Atmos or the Gregory.

The Atmos is definitely large enough for a through hike. I've done week long winter trips with 6 days food with my Atmos and it handled the load just fine.

88BlueGT
02-28-2008, 13:32
Ever consider the ULA Catalyst? I have heard many good things about it. Lightweight and it has tons lots of room. I'm buying it within the next month or two and deciding whether or not its going with me on my 09 thru. I hope so :)