PDA

View Full Version : Is there a market for ....

Purple
02-25-2008, 18:09
Solar powered, compact [no bigger than a toaster], less than 2lbs [gotta be realistic here]
MICROWAVE:clap:jump:banana

All joking aside .... would you use it on the trail if it existed? BE HONEST GUYS.... nobody will tell :rolleyes:

What are YOUR fantasy's [keep it to GEAR fantasy's fella's] ;)

jrwiesz
02-25-2008, 18:32
Solar powered, compact [no bigger than a toaster], less than 2lbs [gotta be realistic here]
MICROWAVE:clap:jump:banana

All joking aside .... would you use it on the trail if it existed? BE HONEST GUYS.... nobody will tell :rolleyes:

What are YOUR fantasy's [keep it to GEAR fantasy's fella's] ;)

It won't boil water any faster than my Jetboil!:sun

hobojoe
02-25-2008, 18:34
Can I sleep in it?

bfitz
02-25-2008, 18:35
A microwave cooking gun. Point and cook.

hobojoe
02-25-2008, 18:36
My fantasy has always been to hoverboard down the trail. (leave no trace)

mweinstone
02-25-2008, 18:37
does it make bacon soggy/ if so, im gonna smash it if i see it.

mweinstone
02-25-2008, 18:38
what actor spoke the line" i like my bacon crisp and my toast burnt."? i dont know or care but i like it. i think clint .

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2008, 18:44
Dino fantasizes about an air mattress that weighs only one pound but inflates to 4" and is insulated.

Purple
02-25-2008, 19:07
jrwiesz With the prepackaged, no-refrigeration needed, heat & serve meals available, the only water you need to boil is for drinking .... think of the time saved & how many more food options you would have

FD :clap your/our fantasy may be just around the corner ... that Exped Stumpknocker is carring is getting pretty close.....

YOU HERE US INVENTORS ... WE WANT A 1LB INSULATED 4" AIR MAT :banana

rafe
02-25-2008, 19:10
No. "Easy heating" isn't the problem. The weight of the stuff being heated is the problem.

Purple
02-25-2008, 19:12
does it make bacon soggy/ if so, im gonna smash it if i see it.

I don't know what brand you use but mine does not make anything soggy .... too crisp or like rubber :( maybe - but not soggy :eek:

Survivor Dave
02-25-2008, 19:13
Take 2 lawn trash bags and sew the open ends shut(together, you know what I mean..) except for a 4 inch opening. Blow down feathers into it until it reaches 10-15 inches. Sew it shut.

Now if you can afford the expensive down feathers, your good to go.

jrwiesz With the prepackaged, no-refrigeration needed, heat & serve meals available, the only water you need to boil is for drinking .... think of the time saved & how many more food options you would have

FD :clap your/our fantasy may be just around the corner ... that Exped Stumpknocker is carring is getting pretty close.....

YOU HERE US INVENTORS ... WE WANT A 1LB INSULATED 4" AIR MAT :banana

Purple
02-25-2008, 19:22
No. "Easy heating" isn't the problem. The weight of the stuff being heated is the problem.

Yeah :( I know ......BUT! I WANT MY MICROWAVE :banana

I Know ! I'll use my feminin wylds to get ... YOU ... to pack it for me ... that will work ...... Right FD?? :D

Purple
02-25-2008, 19:25
Take 2 lawn trash bags and sew the open ends shut(together, you know what I mean..) except for a 4 inch opening. Blow down feathers into it until it reaches 10-15 inches. Sew it shut.

HEY! that gives me another idea

Survivor Dave
02-25-2008, 19:27
Now Purple, there will be a royalties check coming my way, right?

HEY! that gives me another idea

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2008, 19:28
Purple, a solar oven / cooker (http://solarcooking.org/plans/cookit.htm) might work for you.

Purple
02-25-2008, 19:35

lets try this again ...

HEY! that gives me another idea ..... the new Bean Bags chairs are very light ..... I love sleeping in my recliner ....

:datzI know t-o-o big and you can't compress them without a big explosion :eek: snow without the cold :D

feathers? lawn bags? hey! that will work :jump

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 19:37
Yes, your 15 minutes of fame will be as the guy who thoght to put feathers in a garbage bag.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gif

Wise Old Owl
02-25-2008, 19:40
Dino fantasizes about an air mattress that weighs only one pound but inflates to 4" and is insulated.

Whattt? Only inflates 4 inches....

that's not a fantasy that's a disappointment.

Purple
02-25-2008, 19:45
Purple, a solar oven / cooker (http://solarcooking.org/plans/cookit.htm) might work for you.

NAW ... done tried that ... takes too long ...20 min to fry an egg.

Down side to the SOLAR stove is rain = no sun = no power :(

:-? same goes for all those solar powered cell phones, radios, steri pens and anything else that claims to charge in a 8-24 hrs. But out west or the west coast they would work great.

OH MAN! a Solar Powered Microwave want work on th AT- too much shade and rain :datz

Purple
02-25-2008, 19:52

YEH! you help me stuff the bags and pick the feathers out my hair and pay the fine for littering the AT and I'll split it with you :D

Survivor Dave
02-25-2008, 19:59
Yeah, The guys at Western Moutaineering, Feathered Friends, And Mont-Bell are all laughing to the bank as well........

I hereby copyright(oops, U.S. patent number 2,176.2) the Feather in the trash bag sleeping mattress.

I'll split the check with you purple.

Yes, your 15 minutes of fame will be as the guy who thoght to put feathers in a garbage bag.

Blissful

Yes, yes yes!!!

Purple
Whattt? Only inflates 4 inches....

that's not a fantasy that's a disappointment.

that's borderline Wise ol Owl ;)

Purple
02-25-2008, 20:03
I bet those new "Stretch Flex" bags will work ... if they will hold a piano that hold the feathers ... Yeah!

Purple
02-25-2008, 20:19
Another Idea ... HELIUM FILLED BACKPACK ..... A bladder on top of the pack that you refill every 3-4 days when you stop in trail towns ... I know all the Krogers and Family Dollars stores sell those helium ballons. Wonder what they would charge to fill a backpack.

Hikerhead
02-25-2008, 20:25
lets try this again ...

HEY! that gives me another idea ..... the new Bean Bags chairs are very light ..... I love sleeping in my recliner ....

:datzI know t-o-o big and you can't compress them without a big explosion :eek: snow without the cold :D

feathers? lawn bags? hey! that will work :jump

I'm guessing you've never seen the blowup lounge chairs and sofas....it's for real. Fairly light weight for what they are. I'll have to look for a link.

Here it is.... http://www.coolinflatables.com/site/891852/page/422304

Not so lightweight...the chair weighs 7 lbs.

Purple
02-25-2008, 20:33
I'm guessing you've never seen the blowup lounge chairs and sofas....it's for real. Fairly light weight for what they are. I'll have to look for a link.

Here it is.... http://www.coolinflatables.com/site/891852/page/422304

Not so lightweight...the chair weighs 7 lbs.

If we all put ours head together we might actually come up with something here!

Just think ... electricity would never have been discovered if ol' Ben's wife had not told him to "go fly a kite" :sun

Hikerhead
02-25-2008, 20:43
If we all put ours head together we might actually come up with something here!

Just think ... electricity would never have been discovered if ol' Ben's wife had not told him to "go fly a kite" :sun

What about you take that blowup lounge chair, turn it upside down, have it where it's empty and open inside, add some straps and a waist belt to it. Now you have a water proof pack that doubles as a raft to cross the Kennebec. You only have to blow it up once or twice. For travel just deflate. When you get to camp just empty and turn it upside down for the best chair on the trail. :banana

Purple
02-25-2008, 20:47

:p you're just jealous cause you didn't think of it first

Jug
02-25-2008, 21:04
I like to "rough" it too much for "easy":banana

And by the way...I'm a newbie trying to figure out where I am and what I'm supposed to be doing..LOL!!!:sun

I'm from Upper East Tennessee and have often been on the AP in the area. Day hikes and over nighters are the norm for me.

Purple
02-25-2008, 21:25
I like to "rough" it too much for "easy":banana

And by the way...I'm a newbie trying to figure out where I am and what I'm supposed to be doing..LOL!!!:sun

I'm from Upper East Tennessee and have often been on the AP in the area. Day hikes and over nighters are the norm for me.

:welcome I think most the guys like to "rough" it but I asked them to "be honest" and tell their "fantasy" gear dreams .... whats yours??

Jug
02-25-2008, 21:46
OH well heck my fantasy "gear dream"...:)

Air conditioning?
Heat

rafe
02-25-2008, 21:48
Rain gear that works.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2008, 21:49
And by the way...I'm a newbie trying to figure out where I am and what I'm supposed to be doing..LOL!!!:sunWelcome - looks like you're gonna fit right in :)

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 21:50
:p you're just jealous cause you didn't think of it first
Not entirely true. My idea was sand.:(

Purple
02-25-2008, 22:02
Not entirely true. My idea was sand.:(

thats a good one

Jug
02-25-2008, 22:20
thanks for the welcome. I'm old..:)
And have done things "my way" for many years.

Fantasy items:
electric blanket
hot water heater
tub-for long soaks after hiking all day
down mattress
:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2008, 22:24
tub-for long soaks after hiking all day::: Dino seen drooling at the thought of a hot tub in the wilderness :::

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 22:55
thats a good one
:D:sun:sun:sun:sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2008, 22:59
Another Idea ... HELIUM FILLED BACKPACK ..... A bladder on top of the pack that you refill every 3-4 days when you stop in trail towns ... I know all the Krogers and Family Dollars stores sell those helium ballons. Wonder what they would charge to fill a backpack.Sorry, ATTroll has beaten you to this idea (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16615&original=1&c=searchresults&searchid=13429).

Purple
02-25-2008, 23:07
Rain gear that works.

I have a pair of LLBean Gortex, above the ankle, boots. I hiked 4 mi. in 2.5 hrs in a wind blown down pour at 40-F. At times I had to stop and turn my back to the wind just to breathe. I was wearing a straight leg/arm, PVC coated 100% nylon / 100% poly lining "Weather Rogue" rain suit (no elastic at ankles/wrist) bottom edge of jacket broke at crotch. Even though I deliberately stepped in rushing water from drainage ditches, I and my feet were dry and warm. My hands stayed dry because I could pull them up into the sleeves. No gloves.

Next time I tried this I wore the same boots but this time I wore 100% Nylon Ripstop w/polyurethane coating, Stearns DryWear rain suit with elastic around the anlkes/wrists and bottom edge 1/2 way between waiste and hip. Very light weight. My feet were soaked including the inside the boot. The water rain down the pants leg and funneled into the boots. My hands were soaked because the elastic kept them exposed. I was soaked within 30 min. and freezing.

Does not sound logical but loose ankle/wrist rain gear will keep you dryer. You must have vents in the armpits and vents in the upper back and front chest area to keep the sweat down. The jacket hem should be at or below the crotch area so pants zipper and pockets are not exposed.

The ultimate COLD weather rain/snow suit "Patagonia Rubicons" very expensive but you get what you pay for. Got to loose a few lbs to get back in my Rubicons.

Purple
02-25-2008, 23:12
::: Dino seen drooling at the thought of a hot tub in the wilderness :::

Hot Springs NC! just close your eyes and think "there's no place like the woods, there's no place like the woods, there's no place like the woods" and click your heels ...... well :) it's worth a try

Purple
02-25-2008, 23:37
Sorry, ATTroll has beaten you to this idea (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16615&original=1&c=searchresults&searchid=13429).

There's possibilities at Billville - just need a little tweeking :)

I wonder just how much hellium it would take to make a 40 lb pack feel like 10 lb. and what size bladder/balloon - :-? any physics majors out there?

Jug
02-26-2008, 00:40
OH WOW I love Hot Springs, NC!!!:D

NC best kept secret!!

The mountains are beautiful, the water is hot and steamy.

I go frequently for a long weekend. :banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-26-2008, 07:32
There's possibilities at Billville - just need a little tweeking :)

I wonder just how much hellium it would take to make a 40 lb pack feel like 10 lb. and what size bladder/balloon - :-? any physics majors out there?I'll see if the guy that helped design our helium answer (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Dinoblimp.jpg) can tell me :D

NICKTHEGREEK
02-26-2008, 07:46
Of course, with feet so it's self propelled, with a trust fund so it buys food for you, with eyes so it shops, and a sixth sense so it anticipates what you want to eat. Also be nice if it has no recollection of useless dates like anniversaries and mandated wallet sucking Halmark days.;)

NerdyJohn
02-26-2008, 08:54
Am I the only one that fantasizes about lightweight, powdered, just-add-water Jack Daniels? Use super-purified water, of course…

Purple
02-26-2008, 19:22
I'll see if the guy that helped design our helium answer (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Dinoblimp.jpg) can tell me :D

That is S-O-O Cool :clap

Purple
02-26-2008, 19:24
Of course, with feet so it's self propelled, with a trust fund so it buys food for you, with eyes so it shops, and a sixth sense so it anticipates what you want to eat. Also be nice if it has no recollection of useless dates like anniversaries and mandated wallet sucking Halmark days.;)

OF COURSE!:sun

Purple
02-26-2008, 19:28
Am I the only one that fantasizes about lightweight, powdered, just-add-water Jack Daniels? Use super-purified water, of course…

HEY! HEY! they have that ... I remember seeing it in another thread