PDA

View Full Version : video cameras, who carrys them and what do you take?

Passionphish
02-25-2008, 21:03
I'm looking for a digital camera that uses an easy media like SD cards or something similar. I don't need massive quality. Its would be used more for journaling than for scenery or other 'quality' photography.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Jug
02-25-2008, 21:08
I have a very small Samsung NV3...takes video and well as pictures. Great little gizmo!!
Fits in my pocket and travels well...doesn't need food or drink. Battery is a cadium? Doesn't need recharging for long periods of time. I take the battery out to "reboot" from time to time. :banana

Jug
02-25-2008, 21:11
OOP!! Sorry I didn't complete the answer...it has a card and will hold over 1400 pictures and I can't remember the exact minutes of video per session..I use it a lot.
The video and the pics are great!!
If I can figure out how to post a pic I'll show you the quality. :-?

amigo
02-25-2008, 21:17
Near the checkout in Blockbuster last night I saw cameras called "Flip Videos" for sale, the 60 minute version for $99.99 and the 30 minute version for $79.99. I googled and found this link to a demonstration:

http://www.theflip.com/products_try.shtml

Obviously, the quality of the video is not great, but neither is the price. They run on AA batteries and I'd guess their weight at about 6-7 ounces.

Personally, I think the better way to go is to buy a decent digital still camera that also takes videos, and nearly all do these days. I have a Pentax Optio S4i (4.2 oz) that I will sometimes take video captures with, and it uses SD cards, so memory isn't a problem, as you can buy 2 Gig cards these days.

Jug
02-25-2008, 21:19
I was in NOLA a short while ago.
Here's a picture from the camera.
I have some from a cave I visit often in the Mountains of Upper East Tenn off the AP.

fiddlehead
02-25-2008, 21:24
If you want quality, make sure the video camera will take 30 frames per second (29.8 or something like that is the norm for avi files in N America and Japan) the rest of the world is on 25 fps.
At that quality, 5 minutes of video is one gigabyte. (aprox)
At lesser qualities, more of course.

I agree the small point and shoot looking cameras can now take excellent video. but the quality is limited with the memory card and a few 5 gig cards would be nice.

Or, if it's your journal entry, shoot in mpeg 4 or something (very low quality sort of like youtube) and for stuff like the top of Katahdin or the pack of coyotes surrounding your tent, shoot the good quality. AVI files are the best for editing.

Passionphish
02-26-2008, 17:21
This is it? No one else thought to video journal or even take a video camera on a section hike or thru? I thought for sure that video blogging was the next big thing.

My little digital camera also takes video... I didn't know that till you guys made me think to check. So I am already prepared for taking video. That is great! Thanks guys!

But I would still like to hear from someone who has tried to video blog or found a lightweight video camera useful on the trail...

hobojoe
02-26-2008, 17:24
Check out lion king's American discovery trail video's on youtube.com
I'm thinking about doing that this year but you cannot find a good quality video camera that also takes good pics (or vis versa) for less than $800. Not this year....

rafe
02-26-2008, 18:04
Most point-and-shoot digital cameras nowadays have some sort of video-capture mode. The resolution won't be great, but it's adequate for occasional use.

fiddlehead
02-27-2008, 03:09
I'm thinking about doing that this year but you cannot find a good quality video camera that also takes good pics (or vis versa) for less than $800. Not this year....

Really?
i use a canon zr 40 or zr 60. (not the smallest) the last 2 i bought were less than $100 on ebay ($60 for the last one) they are an older model so cheap, but the quality is fine with me.

Summit
02-27-2008, 14:43
Just make sure the camera will accept large capacity SD or micro-SD card, which said capacity will determine how much video you can store (duh). If the camera allows and you opt for 16Gig, that little memory card is likely to cost as much as the camera, although prices are coming down . . . shop around. I'd be leary of off-brands and Lexar. They are asking for trouble. ;)

Mrs Baggins
02-27-2008, 15:08
Most point-and-shoot digital cameras nowadays have some sort of video-capture mode. The resolution won't be great, but it's adequate for occasional use.

I've found that even very short videos on the still camera can eat up a ton of memory, so either carry the largest cards/sticks that you can find or decide which is more important to you - video or photos. If I could figure out how to carry both I'd have my little Powershot camera and a little video camera.