PDA

View Full Version : Your Trail Name

mosquito ninja
02-25-2008, 21:51
Just out of curiosity :rolleyes: how many people give themselves trail names (who will admit to it) and how many wait till the hike?

Any interesting stories to go with how your trail name was decided er' given? How long did it take for you to get yours? :-?

Met a guy at an outfitter who gave himself a trail name as he was afraid he would be the "Texas Ranger" as his first name was Walker. :D

Lone Wolf
02-25-2008, 21:53
i named myself of course

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2008, 21:53
Well, I can tell you right now you will probably end up as "mosquito" OR "ninja" OR something else, but definitely not "mosquito ninja". Probably something else.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 21:55
I didn't give myself my trail name so much as found it before I went on the trail. It seemed just right for the experience and still does.:sun

Almost There
02-25-2008, 21:58
Was given to me by No Worries in 2005 as I have a habit of saying this when there is still some distance to go. It started whenaa section hiker was traveling with us and we were almost to Hawk Mountain. I told them it should be about 5 more minutes and that we're almost there. Ten minutes later, I'm out of sight and the section hiker says to Worries, " What does he mean by "Almost There?" Worries tells him he doesn't know but I keep f'n sayin' it, and that night at Gooch Shelter my new name was born.

mosquito ninja
02-25-2008, 22:03
word, yah mosquito ninja is not going to be my trail name just fist 2 words that popped in my head when i signed up for the website.

so most people 'ahem' find their own tail names? :D

Phreak
02-25-2008, 22:04
I was given the name Phreak by some ultrarunning buddies I used to run & train with and it carried over into backpacking.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 22:05
word, yah mosquito ninja is not going to be my trail name just fist 2 words that popped in my head when i signed up for the website.

so most people 'ahem' find their own tail names? :D
No, I think most are given their names from fellow hikers as they go.
First two words you thought of were Mosquito and Ninja??
Hmmm. . . quite a paradox.

gumball
02-25-2008, 22:08
I had a trail name, given to me by my husband: PIP. Sounds innocent enough, but comes as a result of an issue with giardia. PIP, you see, stands for Poops in Pants. Unfortunate, but also unnecessary to give a lady a name she just couldn't live down...so I refuse to respond to it... :)

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 22:10
:welcome:welcome Poops in Pants!!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing001.gif

TheTank
02-25-2008, 22:11
I was giving mine on my thru- hike in 2006. The day I passed through Neels Gap. I have a habit of starting hiking in the morning and just carrying on all day at the same pace with little stopping at all, and on that day I had passed through Neels Gap, with not more then a 5 minute stop to throw out my trash and sign the register, in comparison to most hikers which stop for long periods to get food, mail stuff home, talk to the staff, sometimes spend the night, sometimes quit the trail. Apparently Swiss Miss, and Happy Feet thought my hiking style was characteristic of a Tank, and therefore that is what they called me.

jersey joe
02-25-2008, 22:12
I waited two weeks and nobody gave me a trail name so i named myself. Not very imaginative, but it answered the first two questions most people asked me after just the first question... What's your name? Where ya from?

jersey joe
02-25-2008, 22:13
Of course some people still asked the second question and i'd just answer Alaska...

rafe
02-25-2008, 22:13
Self-named, in reference to my hiking pace, my looks, and rock and roll band.

http://www.musicbox-online.com/gd-ts.jpg

Some walk, some crawl, some climb... to get to Terrapin

Footslogger
02-25-2008, 22:15
I gave myself the name "Footslogger". Did thesaurus search on words like WALKING, MARCHING, HIKING and the word "Footslogger" popped up on the radar. I did some more searching on the word "Footslogger" and found out that it dates back to medeivel times and refers to one of the kings "foot soldiers". Being an old airborne infantryman myself, it seemed like a fitting trail name ...and thus the "Footslogger" emerged to hike the AT.

'Slogger

Lilred
02-25-2008, 22:16
I was given my name by my Uncle Ed when I was about 1 year old. Been LiLRed all my life. I wanted a new trail name, but Okie, at trail days '05, found out about my nickname and proclaimed it a fantastic trail name and proceeded to introduce me to everyone by that name, so I kept it.

mosquito ninja
02-25-2008, 22:19
No, I think most are given their names from fellow hikers as they go.
First two words you thought of were Mosquito and Ninja??
Hmmm. . . quite a paradox.

a paradox indeed :D. did a bit of solo hiking/camping towards the coast last summer mainly through swamps. fun stuff. u can see the thought pattern now.

ChinMusic
02-25-2008, 22:28
Lots of folks figger I play the violin.

Frau
02-25-2008, 22:28
All my students call me Frau. I am the German teacher, and Frau means, among other things, Mrs. I answer to it all wherever I am. It is my workaday persona. Even my son, DeeMax, calls me Frau when he is not in the house (yes, I taught him for 7 classes in HS).

I didn't name me, my students did. Some colleagues even use the nickname.

Frau

Footslogger
02-25-2008, 22:33
All my students call me Frau. I am the German teacher, and Frau means, among other things, Mrs. I answer to it all wherever I am. It is my workaday persona. Even my son, DeeMax, calls me Frau when he is not in the house (yes, I taught him for 7 classes in HS).

I didn't name me, my students did. Some colleagues even use the nickname.

Frau

=================================

Besser "Frau" als "Fraulein" ...nicht whar ??

Alles in Deutscher hand !!

'Slogger

riga
02-25-2008, 22:43
I'm waiting till the hike because I'm interested in seeing what people come up with regard to me.

If I don't get named or people want to call me my everyday name because they think that's special (boring. It's not Riga), I can always go with Riga or Mondo (used in Ireland and California) or Belle the Cat or whatever. I can come up with all sorts of names.

riga
02-25-2008, 22:47
I am the German teacher, and Frau means, among other things, Mrs.

My mom had a male German teacher whose last name was Ball.

[Herr Ball -- hair-ball]

JERMM
02-25-2008, 22:47
I got mine from my Great-grandmother, she was a hiker

Bearpaw
02-25-2008, 23:00
I got the nickname in the Marine Corps. A bearpaw is a short roundish snowshoe, good for wearing around a snowy campsite, or in the case of Marines, good for making a series of short sprints into the attack after dropping our heavy packs and skis in a staging area just before an assault. When I requested a size 9 EE cold weather boot during workups, our supply sergeant joked that with feet like mine, I wouldn't need my bearpaws. So I became Lt. Bearpaw instead of Lt. Basil for some time.

I liked it enough to get a bear paw print tattoed on my ankle. And the name went with me when I began the AT.

vonfrick
02-25-2008, 23:02
same as Frau. got mine from my students. i've set myself on fire more times than i can count (no scars though!!), melted tile flooring and lab benches, caused building-wide evacuations goofing around with nitrites, shocked myself on everything from batteries to 10,000V neon sign transformers, you get the idea...and evidently on these occassions i've let fly a few four-letter words...

thus, professor vonfrick.

Footslogger
02-25-2008, 23:03
I got the nickname in the Marine Corps. A bearpaw is a short roundish snowshoe, good for wearing around a snowy campsite, or in the case of Marines, good for making a series of short sprints into the attack after dropping our heavy packs and skis in a staging area just before an assault. When I requested a size 9 EE cold weather boot during workups, our supply sergeant joked that with feet like mine, I wouldn't need my bearpaws. So I became Lt. Bearpaw instead of Lt. Basil for some time.

I liked it enough to get a bear paw print tattoed on my ankle. And the name went with me when I began the AT.

================================

Most excellent !!

'Slogger

Blissful
02-25-2008, 23:06
My hubby wrote the name Blissful on a note attached to my door before we were married. Seemed appropriate to use it.

Bearpaw
02-25-2008, 23:07

Most excellent !!

'Slogger

Thanks. I like Footslogger too, especially if the trail is muddy long enough to really slog away.

Footslogger
02-25-2008, 23:09
Thanks. I like Footslogger too, especially if the trail is muddy long enough to really slog away.

=============================

...and believe me, in 2003 it WAS !! I more than did that trail name justice !

'Slogger

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 23:13
My hubby wrote the name Blissful on a note attached to my door before we were married. Seemed appropriate to use it.
Did he know at the time that you like to throw beagles through the air??
And take pictures of them?

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gif

Programbo
02-25-2008, 23:18
Never had a "trail name"..I`m curious what year they started becoming the norm..I`m sure there were always colorful characters who had nicknames going way back but in what general time did it become customery for everyone to receive a trail name?...BTW "Programbo" isn`t a name I use on the trail..It is simply the AOL screen name under which I opened my WB account so I use it to post..The only colorful nickname I use sometimes is "Lost Star" which was given to me by Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme (Long story)

rafe
02-25-2008, 23:18
same as Frau. got mine from my students. i've set myself on fire more times than i can count (no scars though!!), melted tile flooring and lab benches, caused building-wide evacuations goofing around with nitrites, shocked myself on everything from batteries to 10,000V neon sign transformers, you get the idea...and evidently on these occassions i've let fly a few four-letter words...

thus, professor vonfrick.

Anyone quoting Mary Shelley on their sig line is cool with me. In your case, particularly appropriate, it would appear.

Just like mary shelley, just like frankenstein,
Clank your chains and count your change and try to walk the line.

Bearpaw
02-25-2008, 23:21
Did he know at the time that you like to throw beagles through the air??
And take pictures of them?

http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/pics/smilies/qqb006.gifYou are on a ROLL tonight 'yagey!!:banana

chief
My trail name is not a trail name. People have been calling me "chief" for more than 25 years, due to my former occupation. Some friends think they pinned "chief" on me during a particularly wild camp out. They are mistaken!

Almost got a real trail name in 2000. My partner suggested I should be called "10 Degrees" because he said I was always wishing it were 10 degrees warmer or cooler. It didn't stick!

warraghiyagey
Actually it's Igor.
But they told me it was Eegor.
Well they were wrong then, weren't they.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 23:23
http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/pics/smilies/qqb006.gifYou are on a ROLL tonight 'yagey!!:banana
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night.
The 11:00 show is completely different from the 9:00 show.

:D

Frau
02-25-2008, 23:27
Wegen meines Alters ist "Fräulein" nicht möglich!

I can't get the Latin students to call me 'magistra'.

Frau for Life!

rafe
02-25-2008, 23:27
Actually it's Igor.

Awesomely funny flick, still. Anything by Mel Brooks, really. :banana

Footslogger
02-25-2008, 23:30
[quote=Frau;550386]

Frau for Life!

=================================

Ausgeseichnet !!

...und Frau sollen sie sein !!

Viel Spass !!

'Slogger

vonfrick
Just like mary shelley, just like frankenstein,
Clank your chains and count your change and try to walk the line.

frickin' deadheads

;)

warraghiyagey
Would you like some tea?
No - thank you.
Coffe?
No, that's quite alright.
Warm milk?
No, I'm fine.
. . . . . . . . . .
Ovaltine???

rafe
02-25-2008, 23:31
Wegen meines Alters ist "Fräulein" nicht möglich!

I can't get the Latin students to call me 'magistra'.

Frau for Life!

Wenz putz steht, geht kopf in erd. :D Just a little something I learned from my folks. What's for dinner, mom? Gebakane hunder schwenzer.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 23:32
frickin' deadheads

;)
Great name for an AT jug band.

The Vonfrickin Deadheads.

Footslogger
Wenz putz steht, geht kopf in erd. :D Just a little something I learned from my folks. What's for dinner, mom? Gebakane hunder schwenzer.

==============================

Guten appetit !!

'Slogger

earlylight
I named myself too.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 23:33
I named myself too.

Malden's in the Howwwwse!!!
:welcome:welcome

rafe
02-25-2008, 23:35
Would you like some tea?
No - thank you.
Coffe?
No, that's quite alright.
Warm milk?
No, I'm fine.
. . . . . . . . . .
Ovaltine???

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/88/180px-MartyFeldman.jpg

Walk this way.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 23:36
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/88/180px-MartyFeldman.jpg

Walk this way.
CLASSIC!!!!

rafe
02-25-2008, 23:38
What knockers!

Footslogger
02-25-2008, 23:40
What knockers!

Wrong thread. This post moved to the "Janets's Knobs" thread !!

'Slogger

notorius tic
02-25-2008, 23:46
Got lyme disease when is 10 hiking the FL. trail, an ever since have been a Tick magnet, hence Niner named me the Notorius TIC<:

Almost There
02-25-2008, 23:51

I would guess you were either a really good pitcher...or a really bad one!:eek::D

notorius tic
02-25-2008, 23:51
Guess there a few out there that were calling the (G) man due to the bad water source at the pond in HotSprings, (my bad filter issue).. Got the runs an hiked butt naked 4 2 days<:

Whiskyjo
02-25-2008, 23:52
Whiskyjo was givin to me by my buds in the service because I came from Tennessee and my drink was Jack Daniels and once I got out in the 70s I bought a CB and my handle became Whiskyjo so I just carried it over onto the trail.

Survivor Dave
02-26-2008, 00:02
I think since you likeMel Brooks movies so much, instead of Terrapin it should be "Hump the Queen, Hump the Queen"....well maybe only one hump. Maybe Abby Normal! :D

SD

Awesomely funny flick, still. Anything by Mel Brooks, really. :banana

Hikerhead
02-26-2008, 00:08
I'm Hokey Pokey because I'm fast. :)

Frau
02-26-2008, 00:29
Yes, Mahlzeit for the baked dogs tails. Good way to get little inquisitive ones to get out from underneath mom's feet. I just added some dehydrated Johannisbeeren to my steel-cut oats. YUM.

It appears that some think one has to be given a name. Amongst scooter trash of days gone by, not being given a name was not a shame or exclusion, rather, it meant you hadn't done anything weird, funny or annoying to warrant a name.

To paraphrase 'Slogger's German, better Lois than "'Shameless".;)

Frau

Tennessee Viking
02-26-2008, 00:30
Just out of curiosity :rolleyes: how many people give themselves trail names (who will admit to it) and how many wait till the hike?

Any interesting stories to go with how your trail name was decided er' given? How long did it take for you to get yours? :-?

Met a guy at an outfitter who gave himself a trail name as he was afraid he would be the "Texas Ranger" as his first name was Walker. :D
As of right now, I am using my internet name. Real original...lol. Since I only do weekend sections and usually hike solo, I dont really have that much trail history.

The Doctor
02-26-2008, 00:39
They call me "Wake'N'Bake" for reasons that are self explanatory!

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 00:42
When are you hiking???

:D:sun:sun

vonfrick
02-26-2008, 00:42
frickin' hippies

Roots
02-26-2008, 00:44
AND THAT'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT.....:D

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 00:46
frickin' hippies

She said, only partly aware that she is same at spirit.:sun:sun:sun:sun

vonfrick
02-26-2008, 00:47
She said, only partly aware that she is same at spirit.:sun:sun:sun:sun

oh i am so busted

Roots
02-26-2008, 00:47
Wait a minute........

maybe that's what it's all about :-?:D:sun

88BlueGT
02-26-2008, 00:49
Still have no trail name .... I gave myself the name 'eagle eye' because i wear a bandanna on it whenever i go backpacking that has a big eagle eye on the front of it. I decided that was too generic though and I want to receive one from someone else, one day.... hopefully lol

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 00:50
oh i am so busted
Don't worry, I'm sure the neighbors see only what you'll show.
But you've got that other light shinin girl.:sun:sun

Ohhh. . . and, you are busted.:p

Heater
02-26-2008, 00:52
I am Bwana Dik.

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 00:54
I am Bwana Dik.
Translation??
I'm not a smart man.:o

envirodiver
02-26-2008, 00:57
Actually it's Igor.

And he's "PUTTIN ON THE RITZ"

Heater
02-26-2008, 01:02
Translation??

Heh heh... You gonna hafta google it.

gungho
02-26-2008, 01:03
I am Bwana Dik.
Twat was that:eek:

envirodiver
02-26-2008, 01:03

Were you named that by a woman, and what were you fast at? Pokeying?

Hikerhead
02-26-2008, 01:04
Yes and no....now that's funny.:D

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 01:07
Heh heh... You gonna hafta google it.

http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/index.php/Bwana_Dik

I should have learned about that in my buddy Joe's Garage.

Heater
02-26-2008, 01:08
Translation??

Then, again... Maybe you should NOT Google it. :-?

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 01:08
Then, again... Maybe you should NOT Google it. :-?
Owwwchh!

:p

Heater
02-26-2008, 01:13
Owwwchh!

:p

Ouch is right.

Maybe yoweee zoweee! :D

Heater
02-26-2008, 01:14
Ouch is right.

Maybe yoweee zoweee! :Dy

Hey, "All I sung was a song, but maybe I was wrong - Emily Saliers"

:o

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 01:21
y

Hey, "All I sung was a song, but maybe I was wrong - Emily Saliers"

:o
:sun:):sun:sun

Heater
02-26-2008, 01:44
Twat was that:eek:

Tis My trail name... Hey...! :rolleyes:

paradoxb3
02-26-2008, 01:57
I've gone by paradox on the net so long i'm sick of it, so i refuse to use that as a trail name. its not a very good one anyway. a while back a coworker started calling me "Captain Caveman" obviously because of my caving interests. So i suppose unless someone comes up with something i like better, Captain Caveman it is.

Heater
02-26-2008, 01:58
Tis My trail name... Hey...! :rolleyes:

But, Sorry for shutting the thread... :o

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 02:03
I've gone by paradox on the net so long i'm sick of it, so i refuse to use that as a trail name. its not a very good one anyway. a while back a coworker started calling me "Captain Caveman" obviously because of my caving interests. So i suppose unless someone comes up with something i like better, Captain Caveman it is.
Spellunker Scarpelli??

Lellers
02-26-2008, 02:03
Lellers isn't a trail name, tho when people from WB meet me IRL they call me that. That's a name I got from my office mates at my first job out of college. My real name has bunches of L's in it, and it can be a tongue twister. They just turned it to Lellers.

I'm also an assistant scoutmaster, and my boys just love the idea of trail names. They are constantly trying to tag people with names. They stick to the rule that if you answer to it, it's yours. A couple of years back, they named their SPL "Dumb Butt" in one of their more adolescent moments. That kid still answers to that one.

They tried to pin me with "Strawberry Shortcake", but I refused to answer to it. When they ask me what my trail name is, I look 'em straight in the eye and say, "MRS. S"

Venture
02-26-2008, 10:27
I named myself as well, i asked friends and family to come up with one but no one was making any real effort! Almost named myself snot rocket as i never really use tissues to blow my nose!! This trip is all together a big venture for me so i thought this would be a good one!

steve43
02-26-2008, 10:38
When I lived in western NC I spent just as much time on the river kayaking as I did hiking. When my paddling buddies found out I was moving to Ohio, they hung the moniker Fifo on me (f***ing idiot from Ohio), and I've been using it as a trail name ever since.

fifo

AlwaysHiking
02-26-2008, 10:40
I have two, actually. Different group of hiking friends for each. Both to do with poo, so I wonder what that says about me?

First one given to me was ***** Bag. I hike with a dog a lot and always pack out their poo. If I'm not using a pack on my dog at the time, I'll strap it to the outside of my pack. So people started saying, "Don't walk behind ***** Bag" and it kinda stuck.

The second one has to do with spotting bear scat. Last year we were hiking just about that time when bears are more active, looking for food to stock up for the winter. We, er, I saw lots of droppings and I'd point them out as we were walking along. They dubbed me Poop Radar, or PR for short. I don't know, but I thought 7 different piles over 2 days was a lot of activity.

wrongway_08
02-26-2008, 10:52
Mine is easy to figure out...... I can get lost anywhere, even on a main trail.............just ask ***** bag..:D...., sometimes not even sure what state we are in :o.

Thoughtful Owl
02-26-2008, 10:53

I would have guessed you were always give other grief or mumbling and complaining about something...hence chinmusic.

AlwaysHiking
02-26-2008, 10:55
Mine is easy to figure out...... I can get lost anywhere, even on a main trail.............just ask ***** bag..:D...., sometimes not even sure what state we are in :o.

Ahh, but it makes things more fun!

surefoot
02-26-2008, 10:56
I named myself and my son. We like to hike in Albert Pike area in Arkansas where there are numerous stream crossings. I am a few inches taller than him so I have a longer stride and can step from rock to rock a little easier than him. It seemed that almost every time we had to cross he would hurry across and get at least one foot wet while I took my time and was more careful with the route that I took across and managed to stay dry. At one spot he looked at the crossing and said, “I am not even going to try” and sat down and started taking off his boots. I chose my spot and carefully crossed and then sat down on a large rock looking back at him. After removing his boots he looked up at me sitting on the other side and the look on his face was, how the Hell did you do that! He stood up with his boots in one had and his hiking poles in the other and slowly started to walk across. Half way across he slipped and … Splash! I could not help but laugh. Hence the name, surefoot and splash.

Thoughtful Owl
02-26-2008, 11:07
My name was given to me by a close Lodge Brother and it stuck with me when we were backpacking together.

sneezer
02-26-2008, 11:13
ACCCHHHOOOOOO!
nuff said.

ChinMusic
02-26-2008, 11:32
Originally Posted by ChinMusic http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=550262#post550262)

I would guess you were either a really good pitcher...or a really bad one!:eek::D

And you would be correct, depending on the day. But, alas, the wing is dead. Can't crack 60 on the gun now without pain.

The Chin part kinda fits in with Appala-chin now......:D

Mags
02-26-2008, 12:09
My "trailname" is also the nickname I have in real life.

Hard to pronounce/spell last name that gets shortened to a more friendly form. It goes back to at least my grandfather and his brothers. Dad has the same nickname, and my brothers, too.

And since my outdoor life and "real life" are pretty much the same for me, why have a different name for each life? :)

nightshaded
02-26-2008, 12:33
i was dubbed "bone lady" a few years back. i collect animal bones, and while i was camping in new mexico, i got inspired by the primitive local art and began making bone jewelry, which i wear everywhere i go..so, back in cleveland, i stand out a bit, and people started saying, "oh, look--there's that crazy bone lady."
so it goes.

cannonball
02-26-2008, 12:38
Cannonball champion at boy scout summer camp. Thinking of changing to fat-man-doo.

HIKER7s
02-26-2008, 12:47

Not Me, I just you were a Sean Micheals fan

hobojoe
02-26-2008, 12:57
I've been Hobo Joe Since high school. I was always hanging out under the bridge in my town, gettin' homebums to buy me 40 oz', sleeping in the woods next to a fire, not spending a lot of my time with family.
That was not my original trailname though. At first me and my partners trail names were "soiled" and "Mussed" Those were the polices descriptions of us when we got busted for possesion a year before I hiked. Ended up with "Hobo Joe" and "Trash Barrel Carol" (seperated since).

HIKER7s
02-26-2008, 12:58
My name was given to me by a close Lodge Brother and it stuck with me when we were backpacking together.

TO-
Are you Vigil?

Slim aka Nancy
02-26-2008, 13:02
My wife Nancy and I met in highschool. She was always thin. We married shortly after graduation and I starting calling her "Slim". When we started hiking the AT "slim" became her trail name. Since we liked Humphry Bogart movies, and Humphry Bogart called Lauren Bacall "slim" in the movie (To have and have not), Slim starting calling me "Bogey". So we are "Bogey and Slim". Bogey

Pennsylvania Rose
02-26-2008, 13:14
Two hikers gave me my name on Justis Mtn. years ago. I liked it, so it stuck. But, I haven't lived in PA for 17 years. So, I was actually talking to my kids the other day about changing my trail name to Ma Rose...rosie for short, as always.

My youngest goes by Little Man (at least until he outgrows it), but the rest have yet to be named.

HIKER7s
02-26-2008, 13:15
well, here goes

I began calling myself the Klondike Explorer due to the effect a summer in the Yukon had on me (1976). (I wanted to HIKE back there at first,lol).When I started doing this shin-dig in 1978, the use of trailnames was not widely known, it wasnt like a big thing to do. When I started thinking I needed a name, eventually I used this. (Klondike Explorer )

1978 also did not have the enormous number of people on the trail as it does now. For about a 3 week period I hiked with a group of 4 other guys doing a sectional. Things happened

Fording creeks on a log and toppling almost into it but saving my arse on a last minute swing to correct my balance.

sleeping in an old broken down shelter and waking up to find a roof joist had fallen and missed my head by like 3 inches

always the first to "yogi" something off a day hiker

seeming always to find something in my pack to solve someones problems

and other stuff

One of the guys in that group said the last night I was with them " So. if we ever need to talk to ya, just dial "hiker-777" right, and you'll be there.

SO HIKER777 was born, since then I trimmed it to HIKER7s.

My son says I should change it now to "Snore-Bear"

HIKER7s
02-26-2008, 13:19
Also

My son was given his TN when he was 8. He could walk under almost any deadfall over the trail standing straight up. He also (still has) carried a piece of branch for a walking stick that looked exactly like his trail-name's namesake

YODA

Now he's 14 and 6 foot and wants a new one. I told him to forget about it and next time he is hiking tell the others he's shopping for a new- one, to carry him over the rest o his trails.

Bare Bear
02-26-2008, 14:36
A group of smart asses hiked in 84 for a few hundred miles of section and one guy kept refusing every name and we warned him: he still refused any legitimate suggestions thus became "Stinky pants"..........On Trail journals there is a section for your trail name and how you go it etc. Sometimes interesting stories.

HIKER7s
02-26-2008, 14:43
A group of smart asses hiked in 84 for a few hundred miles of section and one guy kept refusing every name and we warned him: he still refused any legitimate suggestions thus became "Stinky pants"..........On Trail journals there is a section for your trail name and how you go it etc. Sometimes interesting stories.

Could o named him "No Way" :rolleyes:

Mrs Baggins
02-26-2008, 15:06
I am a totally obsessed fan of Lord of the Rings, books and movies. We went to New Zealand in 2003, shortly after I started hiking and backpacking, for 3 weeks of trekking with a small group. They all knew how excited I was to be there because of the movies. We were on Fox Glacier and had decided to climb up onto a big boulder for a group photo. I am short, not much taller than a Hobbit, and couldn't get up there on my own. A trek mate reached down to take my hand and said "Come on Mrs Baggins." A few months later, on our first overnight on the AT, another hiker asked me for my trail name and I smiled hugely and said "Mrs Baggins!" Until that moment I really hadn't thought about it that way, but now it is definitely a part of me as much as my own given name. And I've worn a replica of The One Ring at all times since that trip to NZ. On long hikes it's the only piece of jewelry that stays with me.

twosticks
02-26-2008, 17:56

How about pairofducks?

camojack
02-26-2008, 20:26

I was dubbed "Camo", 'cause I wear it. I have ever since I got out of the military...

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 20:45
I was dubbed "Camo", 'cause I wear it. I have ever since I got out of the military...

Translation: Camojerk was already taken.

Oh sh it.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/hiding.gif

Nean
02-26-2008, 20:51
Myron Avery, Benton McKaye, Earl, Ed, and PawPaw all got together for a few days and came up with my trail name.:-?

Creek Dancer
02-26-2008, 20:58
A hiking buddy gave me my name after several failed water crossings in St. Mary's Wilderness!

wilderness monk
02-26-2008, 21:11
I was given my trail name do to my wilderness experiance when I was studing to become a Franiscan Frair.

wilderness monk

Survivor Dave
02-26-2008, 21:18
The way "Survivor Dave" came about is through a year of losses, and personal ups and downs. Family and friends said I qualified as a life survivor. Soooo.... I decided that I needed to cover up an old tattoo as well. I think that it would help keep me focussed on those uncertain nights on the Trail.
I decided to get the one you'll see in the photo section. It has a Hebrew symbol between the eagles wings that symbolizes "Life", and "Survivor" in the banner it holds in it's talons. It has a lot more meaning to me.

SD

FallGirl
02-26-2008, 21:28
I used my real name for the first 3 weeks on the trail. It was kind of fun waiting for someone to come up with something that would stick. (I have to say I'm glad I didn't get stuck with PIP, though. ;) Giardia bites. Sorry. Anyway, I think you either have that ONE experience that you know you'll never live down...never stop laughing about...never forget, or you get tired of explaining why you don't have a trail name and all of the subsequent effort to give you one (so you make up your own).

Del Q
02-26-2008, 21:45
Del Q, self-named, from the movie Jeremiah Johnson, on my last hike I ran across Hatchett Jack - character in the same movie, pretty weird. Yes, a Robert Redford film. Good one.

cowboy nichols
02-26-2008, 21:48
;)I was given the name Cowboy as a baby and tho I tried to leave it behind it aways sticks , I finally just stayed with it.It is better than Black widow at least.:o

bswilarmy
02-26-2008, 21:54

i named myself. out of respect for my grandmother i chose a Cherokee name that described me....Ishnala; it means "alone" thats how i do most of my activities. HickerChick2008 will vouch for this.

FeO2
02-26-2008, 22:37
Self named.

FeO2 is iron oxide, iron oxide is rust, and rust is my last name.

"Rust Never Sleeps" is my favorite album.

Highschool given name was "Rust Bucket", kinda rolls off the tongue nicely, but decided to go with the FeO2.

Short and simple and not too many trying to move in on it!!:D

maxNcathy
02-26-2008, 22:50
My wife Nancy and I met in highschool. She was always thin. We married shortly after graduation and I starting calling her "Slim". When we started hiking the AT "slim" became her trail name. Since we liked Humphry Bogart movies, and Humphry Bogart called Lauren Bacall "slim" in the movie (To have and have not), Slim starting calling me "Bogey". So we are "Bogey and Slim". Bogey

Good to see you here, Bogey.
Last saw you at Jerry cabin shelter north of Hot Springs.
Sorry to hear your hike was derailed due to health issues in the family.Do you plan to hike some this season?
Max and Cathy(from York)
Sandalwood and Gemstone

maxNcathy
02-26-2008, 22:58
Sandalwood is my trail name.
I chose it as i love the scent of it and I love woodworking in general.White pine is one of my favourite trees and I thought of using it for a trail name..but didn't want to be pegged a racist. haha

CrumbSnatcher
02-26-2008, 23:09
[quote=jersey joe;550232]I waited two weeks and nobody gave me a trail name so i named myself. Not very imaginative, but it answered the first two questions most people asked me after just the first question... What's your name? Where ya from? NO S*** YOU LIVE IN JERSEY.

Hungry
02-26-2008, 23:30
I had a little old lady at work name me Hungry my first week of work. She said it was because I didn't follow the rules at work, and tried to take everyone elses accounts, therefore I must be Hungry. 12 years later, they still call me that. So in the hiking world, after a long day...... you get the point.

Bumpa
02-26-2008, 23:47
My grandkids named me...Bumpa was as close to Grandpa as they could get

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 23:48
My grandkids named me...Bumpa was as close to Grandpa as they could get
:welcome:welcome:welcome

Cannibal
02-27-2008, 00:14
Family Tree includes the folks from The Donner Party. 'Cannibal' seemed like a no-brainer.

Roots
02-27-2008, 00:18
I received my trail name when we were on our 1st overnighter. I was cussing the rocks and roots. Gungho suddenly turned around and said 'your name is ROOTS.' It stuck with me and that is my trail name.

warraghiyagey
02-27-2008, 00:19
Family Tree includes the folks from The Donner Party. 'Cannibal' seemed like a no-brainer.
Phew!!! I saw Cannibal as the last poster on this thread and thought 'this could be interesting.'

vonfrick
02-27-2008, 00:21
i know i already weighed in, but after the last year, i'm considering "jerk magnet"

present company excluded of course!!

just can't wait to be out there...

Cannibal
02-27-2008, 00:23
Phew!!! I saw Cannibal as the last poster on this thread and thought 'this could be interesting.'

Yep, pretty boring. But, I get to watch a PBS special every year about my family! :D Several years ago, the ladies in my family rented the movie "Alive". Wouldn't have been a big deal, but it WAS Thanksgiving. And they wonder why I'm going hiking. :rolleyes:

rafe
02-27-2008, 00:25

There's a connection to Firesign Theater... and a Beatles tune, as well... I wondered if these played a role in your choice.... :-?

vonfrick
02-27-2008, 00:27
Yep, pretty boring. But, I get to watch a PBS special every year about my family! :D Several years ago, the ladies in my family rented the movie "Alive". Wouldn't have been a big deal, but it WAS Thanksgiving. And they wonder why I'm going hiking. :rolleyes:

just so you know (since hiker has been recently dubbed "the other white meat" on some other thread) i would taste rather bitter. :D

warraghiyagey
02-27-2008, 00:31
i know i already weighed in, but after the last year, i'm considering "jerk magnet"
So, you come here often? How about those Red Sox? Some stretch of weather we've been havin. So. . . can I make you breakfast? And by 'I', I mean you and by 'you' I mean me.

:D

vonfrick
02-27-2008, 00:33
hey JERK!!!

warraghiyagey
02-27-2008, 00:33
hey JERK!!!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing001.gif

You Go Girl!
02-27-2008, 01:57
Well, at 59 I figured my butt would be draging a lot of the time so I thought about 'Three Tracks' . . .but then I thought that would be very discouraging every time someone would address me as such . . .Hummm then I decided to call myself 'You Go Girl' so that every time someone spoke to me it would be like my own cheerleader! So if you see me shout my name PLEASE!!!
You Go Girl!
:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:b anana

Frau
02-27-2008, 07:57
Creek Dancer--

Glad to know I am not the only one who gets wet in St. Mary's Wilderness creek. I will only go there in high summer when I know my wet boots won't be cold wet boots.

sixhusbands
02-27-2008, 09:01
during my SOBO I helped a hiker in trouble from a ledge on this blue blaze trail in the White Mountains. Hence the trail name was born. By the way it was a spectacular trail and one worthy of a side trip.

aframe
02-27-2008, 09:19
On my sobo last year I headed into the 100 mile wilderness with four pounds of Twix bars.

I was 'Twix' by the time I reached Rainbow Stream.

Thoughtful Owl
02-27-2008, 10:08
A hiking buddy gave me my name after several failed water crossings in St. Mary's Wilderness!

Are these stories we must hear? LOL I am sure many of us can relate to St. Mary's Wilderness area. We do have a Hiking Humor thread here on WB.

jersey joe
02-27-2008, 10:53
[quote=jersey joe;550232]I waited two weeks and nobody gave me a trail name so i named myself. Not very imaginative, but it answered the first two questions most people asked me after just the first question... What's your name? Where ya from? NO S*** YOU LIVE IN JERSEY.

huh?????

ki0eh
02-27-2008, 11:24

We found out accidentally that one of our hiking partners is a descendant of an executed witch of Salem circa 1692, then were immediately sworn to secrecy. Interesting to see that you can embrace that heritage with humor!

Bearpaw
02-27-2008, 12:58
[quote=CrumbSnatcher;551990]

huh?????

I remember one bud from my thru-hike who was from NJ went by the name, Last Exit. Can you guess which part of Jersey he was from? I never knew the custom of specifying which turnpike exit instead of hometown until I met him.

warraghiyagey
02-27-2008, 13:00
[quote=jersey joe;552382]

I remember one bud from my thru-hike who was from NJ went by the name, Last Exit. Can you guess which part of Jersey he was from? I never knew the custom of specifying which turnpike exit instead of hometown until I met him.
Great New Jersey pick up line: "So, what exit are you from?"

Cannibal
02-27-2008, 13:17
We found out accidentally that one of our hiking partners is a descendant of an executed witch of Salem circa 1692, then were immediately sworn to secrecy. Interesting to see that you can embrace that heritage with humor!

They've never found any evidence of cannibalism during digs at the Lake. Those people suffered horribly and made do with almost nothing, yet still survived to tell the tale. I'm actually kind of proud to come from that stock. Besides, I might get a Snicker Bar or two when I tell the story at shelters!:D

warraghiyagey
02-27-2008, 13:20
They've never found any evidence of cannibalism during digs at the Lake. Those people suffered horribly and made do with almost nothing, yet still survived to tell the tale. I'm actually kind of proud to come from that stock. Besides, I might get a Snicker Bar or two when I tell the story at shelters!:D
Or not!!

twosticks
02-27-2008, 17:42
I severed my tibialis tendon and walked around with crutches for a long while, which i referred to as my sticks, or my twosticks. Near the end I got tired of them so I went without, so everyone kept asking about my twosticks then started calling me by the same. The story on how I severed my tendon is funnier.

Frau
02-27-2008, 18:51
Terrapin!

ALL OUT FOR FORT STINKIN' DESERT! :sun

Frau

Hooch
02-27-2008, 18:56
My trail name started out as a nickname when I was in the Marines. It came from the Tom Hanks classic, Turner and Hooch. When I started backpacking a couple years ago, it seemed like a natural fit, so I took it as my trail name as well. :D

bswilarmy
02-28-2008, 21:36
Hey, i figured out why warraghiyagey (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=9075) is a wise guy............ he's a MAsshole:):)

bswilarmy
02-28-2008, 21:38
hey but keep it up dude, you make me LMAO at times

Rockhound
02-28-2008, 23:22
Actually it's Igor.
"could be worse. could be raining" "but i was going to make espresso" "put the candle back" ""elevate me!""right here? now? in the laroratory?"". funniest movie in history

horicon
02-29-2008, 15:46
the trail name I have dates back to when I was going to school. No one has come up with a better one for me.

BT

Montego
03-01-2008, 04:04
While everyone else was street racing and cruising around in their Chevys, I had my Mercury Montego. Friends started callin' me Montego, and the name stuck.

MoBill122
03-06-2008, 17:12
Well... my name is an old Internet name given to be like 25 years ago... I'd sign " Bill from Mobile " and that got shorted at some point to MoBill. That leads a lot of people to think I'm from MO.... but not the case.
Wife bought me a hat years ago with " MoBill " embraided on it, and she handed it to me one night with... " You wear this on your hiking trips ! Then when I ask if anyone has seen MoBill, they'll remember the old man with the hat. "
Guess we know who runs the house around here too.... geezzz

Matteroo
03-06-2008, 20:07
Bucket had started 2 months before me. She carried a collapsible bucket and thus got the name about a week in, after the people who laughed about it, started enjoying that the group only needed to make one trip to the spring to get h20 for 4-5 people.

I joined her and Scottie-2lite Vermont wanted to call me Water Boy cause I got the water with Bucket's Bucket all the time.

I was not down with the 'boy' part but enjoyed the idea of going by Water, for many reasons, so I adopted Water.

1/2 named, 1/2 self-named.