PDA

View Full Version : will polyester pass for fleece

dragonfeet
02-25-2008, 22:35
all i can seem to find around me is polyester it feels like fleece will it work?

Toolshed
02-25-2008, 22:38
I beleive almost all fleece is made of polyester, or some chemical equivalent, so you are on the right track. Better grades won't pill or thin out as much as cheaper quality fleeces, but I have gotten along with inexpensive fleeces for years. a cheap EMS for $25 has lasted me a decade, easily.

Darwin again
02-25-2008, 22:40
I think they are the same thing: if it's not wool fleece from a sheep, it's likely polyester fleece. http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Polyester-Fleece.html
Polyester fleece is a good thing.

envirodiver
02-26-2008, 01:27
Polartec is 100% Polyester. The fabric goes across these thousands of needles that pulls the fibers up and then through a shearing machine that makes them all even.

More than you ever wanted to know I'm sure.

I think that polartec is the best fleece, but there are others that are good.

Fiddleback
02-26-2008, 09:50
There was a time...not sure they use the term anymore...when "microfleece" referred to our beloved polyester fleece such as Polartec. On the other end was 'fleece'...sometimes cotton but often a cotton-poly mix like the common sweatshirt I'm wearing now. I think envirodiver is spot on -- Polartec had the better rep and was a trademark fabric from Malden Mills.

That company went bankrupt last year (for the second time) but the manufacturing assets and management team were held together by the purchasing company and a contract running to late 2010 was accepted by the workers... Polartec today is probably the same good 'ol Polartec of past years.

FB

brotheral
02-26-2008, 10:17
THE FLEECE WE TALK ABOUT FOR CLOTHING IS 100% POLYESTER !! THE "OTHER FLEECE", ACCORDING TO WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY IS, "THE WOOL COVERING A SHEEP OR SIMILAR ANIMAL."
:banana HAPPY TRAILS !!

brotheral
02-26-2008, 10:23
THE FLEECE WE TALK ABOUT FOR CLOTHING IS 100% POLYESTER !! THE "OTHER FLEECE", ACCORDING TO WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY IS, "THE WOOL COVERING A SHEEP OR SIMILAR ANIMAL."
:banana HAPPY TRAILS !!

I should clarify: It's typically 100% polyester. Polartec being the most reputable... :D

mudhead
02-26-2008, 10:32
Be aware that "fleece," is still used to describe fuzzy cotton, and cotton/polyester blends.

Also used with sheepskin lined slippers.

I like Polartec, more businesses should have their mindset. I will pay more for Polartec.

Toolshed
02-26-2008, 13:27
Be aware that "fleece," is still used to describe fuzzy cotton, and cotton/polyester blends.

I agree - Just looking at landsend catalog, I see cozy cotton fleece sweatsuits.

Two Speed
02-26-2008, 13:30
Mmmm, be careful or you might get fleeced.

Two Speed
02-26-2008, 13:32
And back to the original question of "will polyester pass for fleece" . . .

If you ate a large quantity of fleece would you be "self wiping" for your next coupla "downloads?" Inquiring minds want to know!

Blissful
02-26-2008, 13:44
It wicks good, too.

Bare Bear
02-26-2008, 14:27
YES polypro, polyester etc. is 'fleece' but read the label carefully and always try it out before going where your life might depend on it first. I have seen poly fleece' that had 20% cotton....cotton kills.