PDA

View Full Version : Proud new owner of NC AT license plate.

Earl Grey
02-26-2008, 00:08
Came in the mail today. Ill take pics once I get it on there tommorow. Woooo it looks really cool.

Sly
02-26-2008, 00:21
Cool. What's your number? Times $20, minus those that have expired, goes to the trail in NC each year!

gungho
02-26-2008, 00:54
I just got mine in the mail a few weeks ago #4932,Roots is #234

Sly
02-26-2008, 01:20
I just got mine in the mail a few weeks ago #4932,Roots is #234

That's awesome. It's too bad more states (local trail clubs) haven't picked up on the idea.

gungho
02-26-2008, 01:25
That's awesome. It's too bad more states (local trail clubs) haven't picked up on the idea.

Did you and EZ have a good trip

Sly
02-26-2008, 01:35
Did you and EZ have a good trip

Yeah, great trip.

It was a little colder, windier and got dark earlier than I would have preferred but over all it was a great trip. We hiked down to the Phantom Ranch in the Grand Canyon via the Bright Angel Trail, watched the Super Bowl in Las Vegas, spent nearly a week in Death Valley, a couple days in Joshua Tree, the Anza-Borrego desert, Lake Moreno etc.

gungho
02-26-2008, 01:37
Yeah, great trip.

It was a little colder, windier and got dark earlier than I would have preferred but over all it was a great trip. We hiked down to the Phantom Ranch in the Grand Canyon via the Bright Angel Trail, watched the Super Bowl in Las Vegas, spent nearly a week in Death Valley, a couple days in Joshua Tree, the Anza-Borrego desert, Lake Moreno etc.

Dude that sounds awesome,but I Ponder the question how did you handle Ez during the superbowl:D

Sly
02-26-2008, 01:39
Dude that sounds awesome,but I Ponder the question how did you handle Ez during the superbowl:D

Somethings are better left untold. ;)

gungho
02-26-2008, 01:41
Somethings are better left untold. ;)
Enough said:D

Lauriep
02-26-2008, 02:32
There are programs underway to bring A.T. license plates to Tennessee and Virginia, and serious discussions in at least two other Trail states.

For more info, go to ATC's home page or directly to the relevant page at http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.3903977/k.A30C/AT_License_Plates.htm.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

Sly
02-26-2008, 02:41
There are programs underway to bring A.T. license plates to Tennessee and Virginia, and serious discussions in at least two other Trail states.

For more info, go to ATC's home page or directly to the relevant page at http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.3903977/k.A30C/AT_License_Plates.htm.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

Hey Laurie,

That's great. I know some states make it harder than others but I just found out that Georgia needs 1000 commitments, as opposed to 300 in NC (0364 AT). That shouldn't be all that hard. If I could only stay in one place long enough and/or knew a couple politicians. :o

Kirby
02-26-2008, 07:26
The Maine liscense plate market is saturated as it is.

Kirby

Hooch
02-26-2008, 07:38
I just got mine in the mail a few weeks ago #4932,Roots is #234I'm going to get one of those babies for my car as well after I get moved to Charlotte in the Spring. :D Do they take a while to get or is the wait for them to arrive pretty short?

Marta
02-26-2008, 07:42
They arrive pretty quickly. Your KY plates will work until it gets there...or you could get a temporary tag.

Congrats to the new plateholder(s)!

HIKER7s
02-26-2008, 07:43
Hopefully, Pa will get in the license plate AT act soon!

Hooch
02-26-2008, 07:48
They arrive pretty quickly. Your KY plates will work until it gets there...or you could get a temporary tag.

Congrats to the new plateholder(s)!Thanks, Marta. I did some online research about registering my car in NC last night. My understanding is that the DMV folks will issue me a regular tag when I register my car there, but can apply for the AT plate at the same time and it will arrive later. Good to know the wait isn't very long for it. I know when I'm in Charlotte, I see at least a couple of them every day.

D'Artagnan
02-26-2008, 09:41
Thanks, Marta. I did some online research about registering my car in NC last night. My understanding is that the DMV folks will issue me a regular tag when I register my car there, but can apply for the AT plate at the same time and it will arrive later. Good to know the wait isn't very long for it. I know when I'm in Charlotte, I see at least a couple of them every day.

No. 0493 here. Glad to hear you're moving to NC. We'll have to get together for a hike.

barefoot
02-26-2008, 10:01
I have mine! NC 4935. You may laugh but I think it looks pretty cool on my bright green Element.

Marta
02-26-2008, 10:28
As I was driving along Sardis/Fairview/Tyvola today, I was keeping pace with another AT plate in the lane next to me the whole way. It was cool.

It's raining crazy-mad right now. We sure need the water, but it's a nice day to be under roof.

Hooch
02-26-2008, 10:28
No. 0493 here. Glad to hear you're moving to NC. We'll have to get together for a hike.Thanks, I appreciate it. You can count on that hike, I'm gonna hold you to it as long as you don't mind a slow pace with Doc and I. :D

Hooch
02-26-2008, 10:44
As I was driving along Sardis/Fairview/Tyvola today, I was keeping pace with another AT plate in the lane next to me the whole way. It was cool.

It's raining crazy-mad right now. We sure need the water, but it's a nice day to be under roof.The last time I was in Charlotte, it definitely needed the rain, big time. I've never seen ti so dry there. Marta, that's cool keeping pace with the AT plate, I can envision the route you were taking. Home sweet home in a couple more months. :D

maconmatt
02-27-2008, 10:36
Hey Laurie,

That's great. I know some states make it harder than others but I just found out that Georgia needs 1000 commitments, as opposed to 300 in NC (0364 AT). That shouldn't be all that hard. If I could only stay in one place long enough and/or knew a couple politicians. :o

I would LOVE a Georgia AT plate as well!

Doc
02-27-2008, 11:38
Living in Maine made it a little difficult, but I just got my NC AT plate.

Doc

peanuts
02-27-2008, 11:48
hey sly,where would i go to sign up? i remember asking when i renewed my plates just a cpls of months and they had no clue........

eventidecu
02-27-2008, 11:50
It would be nicer if NC either gave more to the ATC or didn't charge as much. It's 60 EXTRA dollars EVERY year on top of the regular tag price and they only give the AT 20.00 of it.

eventidecu
02-27-2008, 11:58
I'd be carfull Doc they just did a BIIG Xpo-sey thing on the news a month or two ago about people registering cars in NC from out of state. Said they were going to do some big audit. Homeland security thing. Apparently it is or was too easy to get a NC plate for cars not here in NC. Apparently it had become common place up in NYC with criminals having NC tags, NC tag = criminal or other type that couldnt get a tag anywhere else for whatever reason. Some reporter from I think Charlotte went up there for the piece and counted several NC plates every day. They were everywhere.

10-K
02-27-2008, 13:16
How long did it take to get your plate back after you mailed the check? I've been waiting a whole week. ;)

Sly
02-27-2008, 13:26
hey sly,where would i go to sign up? i remember asking when i renewed my plates just a cpls of months and they had no clue........

If it works anything like NC you need to go through a whole process through the state legislature to get it approved first, then have 1000 prepaid enrollees before they make the plates. (In NC you only need 300 beforehand) It's something that the GATC would probably have to take up.

Sly
02-27-2008, 13:27
The Maine liscense plate market is saturated as it is.

Kirby

So said the defeatist.

Hooch
02-27-2008, 13:38
So said the defeatist.That's deep, man.

SloHiker
02-27-2008, 13:58
3459 I've spent $60.00 on a lot less .........

Doc
02-28-2008, 10:38
I really didn't do anything to upset the authorities. My daughter has an AT plate from NC and she just moved to Maine. She agreed to loan me the plate for my garage art display now that she has Maine tags once again.

Doc

eventidecu
02-28-2008, 10:44
:clap Yea let's go with THAT story!..LOL Doc

Speer Carrier
02-28-2008, 10:56
It's something that the GATC would probably have to take up.

The GATC has taken it up. See the March issue of The Georgia Mountaineer

Brushy Sage
02-28-2008, 12:44
If one has to surrender the plate for any reason (no car to transfer it to, for example), is the original number gone forever? Issued to someone else? No. 0225 here.

peanuts
02-28-2008, 12:48
speer carrier, i don't have access to the publication. so please post info. i do want to have an at plate!:)

Footslogger
02-28-2008, 12:53
I'm holding out for the CDT License Plate in Wyoming :rolleyes:

'Slogger

MyFeetHurt
02-28-2008, 12:56
I have a current NC AT tag, but recently moved to Tenn. Holding out as long as I can, but come April I'll have to re-up, and the Tenn one won't be available yet. ::grumble::

Marta
02-28-2008, 13:59
If one has to surrender the plate for any reason (no car to transfer it to, for example), is the original number gone forever? Issued to someone else? No. 0225 here.

I think you can transfer a plate when you sell a vehicle. I'm not sure about other ways.

Sly
02-28-2008, 14:09

The numbers are only given out once. I moved to GA and kept my plate but I'm not sure if I move back I could use it again. I tend to doubt it and I think I was supposed to surrender it. Yeah, right.

Sly
02-28-2008, 14:13
That's deep, man.

I don't know about deep but it's true. NC had a number of specialty plates before the AT one came out.

Maybe Weary's org should look into getting them.

Marta
02-28-2008, 14:13
The numbers are only given out once. I moved to GA and kept my plate but I'm not sure if I move back I could use it again. I tend to doubt it and I think I was supposed to surrender it. Yeah, right.

I think the only thing you sacrificed by not surrendering the plate is maybe the chance to get back some of your registration and tax money on the unused part of the year you paid for when you got the plate.

Sly
02-28-2008, 14:19
I think the only thing you sacrificed by not surrendering the plate is maybe the chance to get back some of your registration and tax money on the unused part of the year you paid for when you got the plate.

Wouldn't be much, I drove here 6 months before finally switching. I think I had less than a month left.

Just so y'all know when Clark was asking about ideas on the at-l about raising money for the AT in NC I came up with the plate idea. Of course it was hardly original but I take a little pride in suggesting it and him using it. Still, he deserves all the credit for the time put in, finding a sponsor in the state legislature, holding an design contest etc

Marta
02-28-2008, 14:27
Just so y'all know when Clark was asking about ideas on the at-l about raising money for the AT in NC I came up with the plate idea. Of course it was hardly original but I take a little pride in suggesting it and him using it. Still, he deserves all the credit for the time put in, finding a sponsor in the state legislature, holding an design contest etc

You're a hero! I never thought I could get excited about a license plate, but I am ridiculously proud of mine.

Link to bad photo:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=200832

Hooch
02-28-2008, 14:32
You're a hero! I never thought I could get excited about a license plate, but I am ridiculously proud of mine.

Link to bad photo:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=200832 It's funny that you say that. I can't wait for my move to Charlotte to get mine. If I could figure out a way to get it and my NC driver's license before I move, I would. I knew yours was the AT "SOBO" plate. I look for it while I'm driving every time I'm in Charlotte.

Sly
02-28-2008, 14:56
Although they all are, SOBO is certainly one of a kind. Congratulations for getting it. I saw 0001 I-40 near Black Mountain which happens to be Sam Queen's the western NC rep at the time that Clark got to push it in the state legislature.

Hooch
02-28-2008, 14:58
Although they all are, SOBO is certainly one of a kind. Congratulations for getting it. I saw 0001 I-40 near Black Mountain which happens to be Sam Queen's the western NC rep at the time that Clark got to push it in the state legislature.I wonder who has 2175 and "NOBO"?

Sly
02-28-2008, 15:02
I wonder who has 2175 and "NOBO"?

ATC has 2175. Not sure about NOBO but it's most likely taken.

Hooch
02-28-2008, 15:09
ATC has 2175. Not sure about NOBO but it's most likely taken.Good plate number for the ATC folks in NC. I'd say whoever got "NOBO" got it quick when they were first issued. I'm not suggesting that I would want that one, having never thru-hiked. I'm a section hiker all the way, unless there are some major changes in my life one day. I'm cool with being a section hiker, works for me. :D

Sly
02-28-2008, 15:15
They're all good. I wonder what happens after 9999? I suppose they'll have to re-issue old ones.

Hooch
02-28-2008, 15:17
They're all good. I wonder what happens after 9999? I suppose they'll have to re-issue old ones.I dunno, hope they're not too close. I still want mine when I move, hopefully in April.

rafe
02-28-2008, 15:18

Link to bad photo:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=200832

Very cool. :D :banana Congrats, Marta!

Speer Carrier
02-28-2008, 15:31
speer carrier, i don't have access to the publication. so please post info. i do want to have an at plate!:)

A fellow by the name of Scott Barnes is spearheading the effort here in Georgia, working with both the ATC and GATC. He hopes to submit an application and a design to the Georgia DOT by the end of March. In Georgia, we must have 1000 prepaid applications within two years in order for the application to be accepted. The first step is to develop a data base of media outlets to publicize the effort. If we can get 1000 plates sold,I guess we'll be in business. I know several White Blaze members live in Georgia as well as non-WB'ers who hike on the AT. I'm sure if we can get the word out, we'll be able to make this a reality. That's all I know now. When I hear more I'll post.

Cabin Fever
02-28-2008, 15:41
Tennessee plate has made it through the Senate and House transportation subcommittee. Should pass the House very soon and from there all we are waiting on is 1000 names! Once the design is finalized (getting closer), I will try to get it posted on the WB home page so we can get the 1000 names fast and get our plates!

Sly
02-28-2008, 15:42
Speer Carrier, any idea on how many GATC members? I'm not a member yet (sorry) but I will pre-order when it's available.

Sly
02-28-2008, 15:44
I dunno, hope they're not too close. I still want mine when I move, hopefully in April.

You'll get one, looks like they just under 5000 or you can pay a little extra and get SECT(ion)!

Cabin Fever
02-28-2008, 15:46
Link to follow the bill's progress:
http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/asp/WebBillInfo/BillCompanionInfo.aspx?BillNumber=SB2622
Link to the bill itself:
http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/BILL/SB2622.pdf

The bill wording got changed a little by the Nashville folks so don't fret about the "280 miles of AT in it's borders" and the "funds to be used in borders" wording. We already have an amendment in the works to fix the first one to say "280 miles in or on its borders" and the second one to say "funds to be used in or on its borders." More than half of the 280 miles of trail is on the TN/NC border. The only section completely in Tennessee is from US19E at Apple House to the VA border south of Damascus.

Speer Carrier
02-28-2008, 15:59
Speer Carrier, any idea on how many GATC members? I'm not a member yet (sorry) but I will pre-order when it's available.

2008 yearbook indicates about 650 members.

Sly
02-28-2008, 16:28
2008 yearbook indicates about 650 members.

Thanks. Every preorder is going to count GATC member or not. Count me in.

Marta
02-28-2008, 16:52
I wonder who has 2175 and "NOBO"?

"NOBO" lives in Asheville. I saw it briefly at Trail Days last year. Then I was talking to Babysteps while we were on the JMT and she said she knows "NOBO."

I really wanted to get the two cars posed next to each other for a photo.

slingblade
02-28-2008, 17:00
Had mine a couple of years now. #1687. AH-ITE-DEN

Hooch
02-28-2008, 17:06
You'll get one, looks like they just under 5000 or you can pay a little extra and get SECT(ion)! Not a bad idea. I wonder if people will think AT hikers are a "sect" if they see it though? :rolleyes: Shame "HOOCH" won't fit. :D I'll probably just get it with the assigned number in sequence and be tickled pink that I have it.

"NOBO" lives in Asheville. I saw it briefly at Trail Days last year. Then I was talking to Babysteps while we were on the JMT and she said she knows "NOBO."

I really wanted to get the two cars posed next to each other for a photo.That would be way cool to have "NOBO" and "SOBO" next to each other for a photo, especially with the grinning faces of the owners.

Hooch
08-12-2008, 18:54
Ok, now that I've been back in North Carolina for a couple months, I applied for my plate on Friday when I registered and titled my car. It came in the mail today! Talk about service! Did I mention I loooooooove being back in NC?