PDA

View Full Version : short hike with the thru's

paradoxb3
02-26-2008, 02:15
So i've got this weekend off work, and while my own thru wont be until 2010, i'm thinking about heading over to springer for a weekend hike with some thru hikers.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with many of you that are leaving out saturday, but unfortunately for me, monday morning means back to work. :( My question to those of you hitting the trail is this -- How many miles are you planning on doing those first few days? Many people start slow at first since they've got plenty of time to build up their trail legs. Since I'm not there for long duration, I only see 2 options for me: Hike in so far, and turn around sunday morning, OR push heavy miles and hit neels gap in 2 days. (yes, i'm confident i can make it as i've done this section before).

Anyone else not thru-hiking planning a similar trip? What do you suggest? With all this talk about leave dates, i'm just itching to get back on the trail, even though i'll probably be heartbroken to leave sunday evening.

KG4FAM
02-26-2008, 02:22
You could stop at Woody Gap

paradoxb3
02-26-2008, 02:32
You could stop at Woody Gap

lol now dont i feel silly.

i've been camping/fishing in Suches since i was 12 years old, and woody gap/hwy 60 never crossed my mind. thanks!

Kirby
02-26-2008, 07:28
I was just about to say Woody's as well, that's two solid days right there, and you will be with all the march 1st starters, including myself.

See you on the trail,
Kirby

paradoxb3
02-26-2008, 09:57
I was just about to say Woody's as well, that's two solid days right there, and you will be with all the march 1st starters, including myself.

I'm very much looking forward to getting out again. I'm working 2 jobs right now to pay off bills and save back money for my future thru, so a weekend off doesnt come very often for me, and this just worked out great that i've got the 1st and 2nd off. I havent been on an overnighter since november! ugh.

I live ~relatively~ close to amicalola falls so it'll be easy to get dropped off there and arrange a ride back home from woody gap.

Reece
02-28-2008, 22:20
Me and a buddy are leaving out from Springer on Sat mornin and hoping to make Neels Gap by Monday. Its just going to be a long weekend trip for us

paradoxb3
02-29-2008, 02:44
Me and a buddy are leaving out from Springer on Sat mornin and hoping to make Neels Gap by Monday. Its just going to be a long weekend trip for us

i'll be there saturday morning as well. i've got my gear packed already, minus water, and a couple refrigerated items (cheese, summer sausage) :cool:

i did 3 days to neels back in late november, though the weather wasnt that favorable. visibility from springer was about 50 ft, and rained rained rained. however current weather reports are saying its gonna be an awesome weekend in GA. :banana

I'm starting at amicalola, and shooting for somewhere near hawk mt shelter saturday night, and woody gap sunday, where i'll get my ride back home. as i recall, gooch mountain was a good place to get a cellphone call out.

see you on the trail!

weary
02-29-2008, 10:28
Carry a tent and don't use the shelters. Expect the campsites to
be crowded. I have always resisted the temptation to compete with thru hikers for shelter space, at least during the early crowds in the south.

Weary

paradoxb3
03-01-2008, 00:01
oh i dont intend to stay in a shelter. i'll be carrying my hammock... i'm just saying i'm shooting for near hawk mountain to camp as its around halfway to woody gap. I'll let the thru's have their shelter, but will probably stick around and socialize some.

emerald
03-01-2008, 13:42
You might consider hiking southbound from Woody Gap to Amicalola Falls SP. Another idea that comes to mind is leaving you car at Hiker Hostel (http://www.hikerhostel.com/) and arranging shuttles with them.