PDA

View Full Version : maps-books help needed

ofthearth
02-26-2008, 14:51
So what do you all think?
I'm sitting here looking at books and maps trying to get it together and have some questions. I've got the data book 2008, thru-hikers handbook 08, AP Pages, thur- hikers companion and the GA-NC book that comes with the maps. For maps I've got the GA-NC set (the rest of the AT maps are on order) and I've found these http://rhodesmill.org/thefox/maps.html (bottom of the page). And I've printed out the "AT Re-Supply Info" from the home page of WB. And more, Wrongway 08 (thanks) has put together what looks like a good mail/drop list http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ighlight=march

So here's what I'm wondering-
1) would you carry the offical maps? They seem rather heavy, cumbersome and contain info that is not needed or duplicated(topo etc). (and if I try to cut them down I'll not save much because of the way they're printed front and back.) The maps from thefox maps give some detail regarding roads etc and all of the books list the shelters, milage etc. AND they're much more managble and lighter.
2) As for printed info. what to carry- the data book, AP Pages, and the WB print out? (Just sections of course).

Thoughts?

Thanks

Mar 1!
oftherarth

Peaks
02-26-2008, 17:07
Short answer: it's irresponsible not to carry maps. But no need to carry the full set at one time. Just carry the ones needed until your next mail drop.

For a long distance hike, I'd also recommend one of the guidebooks such as the ALDHA companion. Cut the binding off, and carry just the pages needed until your next mail drop.

Use the WB print out on resupply to plan your resupply. Make notes on your pages from the Companion.

jersey joe
02-26-2008, 18:17
I enjoy looking at/studying the map for the trail that I will be hiking the next day, so I carried the maps. Do you NEED them? no.

rafe
02-26-2008, 18:18
The maps are good to have. You may get lucky and never "need" one but I wouldn't risk it. Kinda like some other items that hikers carry... and hope they never "need."

ofthearth
02-26-2008, 18:58
I guess I should restate/rephrase the question: I think maps are a good thing but do I need to carry the big, heavy etc offical ones or would the ones form http://rhodesmill.org/thefox/maps.html (at the bottom of the page) do the job? As I said "The maps from thefox maps give some detail regarding roads etc and all of the books list the shelters, milage etc. AND they're much more managble and lighter."

Thanks again,

ofthearth

Blissful
02-26-2008, 19:39
I guess I should restate/rephrase the question: I think maps are a good thing but do I need to carry the big, heavy etc offical ones or would the ones form http://rhodesmill.org/thefox/maps.html (at the bottom of the page) do the job? As I said "The maps from thefox maps give some detail regarding roads etc and all of the books list the shelters, milage etc. AND they're much more managble and lighter."

Thanks again,

ofthearth

NPS maps are not adequate and lack major detail.

Maps are not a thing I would skimp on when it comes to "weight" in ounces. You can do a search here on WB and find lots of threads about the map debate. Suffice it to say, in an emergency situation, they could save you or someone else's life.

Bring the ATC maps and you can mail them to yourself along the way.

Blissful
02-26-2008, 19:41
And you don't need to carry all the data books. One suffices for town info and the like.

rafe
02-26-2008, 19:42
The maps cited (from rhodesmil.org) won't have nearly the level of detail as the ATC maps, so their usefulness will be hugely diminished, compared to the ATC maps. Go ahead and use what you want. Are you feeling lucky? :cool:

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2008, 20:04
I agree with Peaks: Carry one of the major guidebooks AND bring the maps as well. You'll never be carrying more than a couple at a time, so weight isn't a factor.

And since you mentioned that you have both books, you should know that the Companion is far more detailed, and is more accurate, than App. Pages.

RenoRoamer
02-26-2008, 20:38
Some of the maps can be cut down tremendously. The Maine maps, for example, can easily be cut by over half, since the elevation data is duplicated in the guidebooks. As I understand, the trail is fairly easily to follow in northern Virginia and Pennsylvania, so you can be especially aggressive trimming these maps, which helps because these are especially heavy. I figure the whole set of maps weighs about 5 pounds as shipped from ATC, but only about half that after trimming. By carrying a full pound of combined guidebook/maps, you will only have to get new maps every month or so, which greatly reduces your mail drops.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2008, 20:46
Um, if you carry one (or rarely two) maps at a time, and several pages of guidebook (which is all you need), you'll hardly be carrying a pound of stuff.

Taking a pair of shears to a perfectly good map in order to save yourself a handful of grams is overkill.

Likewise, the inclusion of a map or two in a parcel of stuff from home is hardly going to increase your postage costs dramatically.

Honestly, folks, resist the temptation to become a gram weenie, it simply isn't necessary.

saimyoji
02-26-2008, 20:53
Maps are for weenies. Just follow the blazes. Emergency shmergency, there'll be more than enough people around to let you look at their maps. And they'll all be so willing to help out a fellow hiker. :rolleyes: :D

Ask to borrow stoves and filters too. Thrus like to share.

RenoRoamer
02-26-2008, 21:06
What if there is no home to send maildrops and you are self supplying? That means using a bounce box. If you only carry one map at a time, you'll be constantly worrying about that bounce box. Cutting off the unnecessary tops and bottoms of maps isn't gram weenie-ism, it's just being realistic. The whitespace is useless and the information is mostly duplicated in the guidebook. What seems foolish to me is tearing up the guidebook so that it falls apart on you and is otherwise harder to use.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-27-2008, 14:22
The official maps help you find water if the regular sources are dry; show you bail-out points in case of emergency; and give topographic info. The maps you linked to don't show any of that stuff. The trail itself is easy to follow, you carry maps for the reasons above. The heaviest official map I own is GSMNP at 3 3/8 oz. The rest are less than 3 oz. Don't think that's going to make a difference in how you hike.