PDA

View Full Version : NC Mountains to Sea Trail

Brushy Sage
01-12-2004, 21:42
A trail is being constructed across North Carolina, beginning at Clingman's Dome in the Smoky Mts, and ending at the Atlantic Ocean -- 500 plus miles. NB hikers will see a confusing system of blazes leading away from Clingman's Dome. The very large white blaze marks the AT. The round white blaze marks the Mountains to Sea Trail.

whoops
01-12-2004, 22:04
How much of that trail has been constructed? I saw some of those blazes near a trail to shining rock in NC.

Pabst
01-12-2004, 22:57
I saw signs in the black mountains.....(Mt. Mitchell) when I was there this fall, but not sure where else it runs through in NC. Anyone know of a good link showing where its route is?

The Wicked Lobstah
01-13-2004, 00:27
I've hiked several of the sections in Northwestern NC and they are super duper.

Here's a link with lots of info:

http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/trails/m2c/home.html

Moon Monster
01-13-2004, 02:28
The trail maintaining organization's site is
http://www.ncmst.org/

A comprehensive section hiker (but not thru-hiker) friendly guide is available by Allen deHart.

The entire trail runs 908-920 miles, depending on your route, but it includes LOTS of road walking east of the mountains. Still, a handull have thru-hiked it and a couple each year are attempting it nowadays.

Sectioning the mountainous sections is a grand time. Several sections are overgrown, rugged, and totally unmarked, but maintainence is increasing as the trail gains in popularity. Many of NC's 6,000 footers are accessible on or just off the MST.

squirrel bait
01-13-2004, 05:35
I've only walked the beach part from Jockey's Ridge south to Hatteras Island. From reading Allen's book it does seem like there is a lot of road walking and camping and resupply are of concern. Though to be fair there are alot of National forest walks and some even canoe part of it. The author walked west to east and translating it east to west is not the easiest. As for the beach walk, the outer banks of nc are beautiful. No camping on the beach though and during the off season alot if not all the campsites are closed. I live here so I did it in sections.

Brushy Sage
01-13-2004, 10:20
Thanks for all the good information. As a trail crew member with the Carolina Mountain Club, I have been working on the Balsam Gap section and a little bit around Mt. Mitchell. After viewing the websites listed here, I have a much better overview of the statewide undertaking.

Taba
10-18-2008, 02:35
I just finished hiking the MST and wrote a guidebook for it. I have removed much of the concern for resupply, water and camping. Although there is a lot of road walk still. I walked against traffic and made a game of it waving to everybody. The guidebook should be finished by the beginning of 2009.

Scot "Taba" Ward
There And Back Again"

Appalachian Trail 2003
Long Trail 2004
Colorado Trail 2007
Mountains-to-Sea Trail 2008