PDA

View Full Version : Losing a water bottle?

desdemona
02-26-2008, 16:48
Has this ever happened to you? (And what to do about it?)
I hiked up a crest (about 7600 from 6000 or so). Anyway at the top, well actually not sure where but that's the best guess, I lost a water bottle from a side mesh pocket. I wasn't too well the next day, but got over it ok.

Anyway, I definitely do NOT want to do that again. I think it slid out at some point.

There are side compression straps could hold the bottle better, but you have to take the pack off to drink. I thought of maybe putting velcro straps across, so it might stay in better and also be able to be removed easier.

Any thoughts on this? I know you guys (gals) have good ideas.

Thanks,

--des

mudhead
02-26-2008, 16:52
Dummy string. Or

Thin shock cord to tighten up pocket. Or

Different size/shape bottle.

DAKS
02-26-2008, 16:53
carry a water bladder also. you don't necessarily have to carry one with a drinking tube, but just a collapsible bladder in your pack that is filled. always have a back up!

envirodiver
02-26-2008, 18:11
They make holsters for water bottles that attach to your pack, usually the hip belt. Works great and keeps the bottle close at hand. I find that I drink more when the water is close at hand rather than in my pack.

jersey joe
02-26-2008, 18:13
Or use a gatorade bottle, this way, if you lose it, no big deal.

desdemona
02-27-2008, 01:26

The point though is NOT to lose it. Getting that dehydrated is really nasty.
Don't want to repeat that.

Nice suggestions though everybody.
I think the shape or size might have been an issue (taller vs wider), string shock cord could work, and the holsters is a great idea. The bladder isn't a bad idea either. Thanks.

--des

Allen66
02-27-2008, 01:55

No big deal except for all the plastic bottles layin around.

fehchet
02-27-2008, 04:22
carry 2 bottles

fiddlehead
02-27-2008, 04:35
get a new pack. One you can trust. That's what i'd do anyway. i don't want any doubts as to whether my gear can handle the situation i put myself into. I don't carry much water. If i only have one bottle, i am not going to lose it.

gungho
02-27-2008, 05:32
This is why I opt to use a hydration system with a drinking tube. works best for me:)

GratefulHike
02-27-2008, 07:10
I have had the same problem with my water bottles, I just haven't permanently lost them. I use really cheap little carribeaners.

Two Speed
02-27-2008, 07:36
I use (2) one litre bottles, one in each side mesh pocket. Been using this method off and on for two or three years and haven't lost one yet.

Des, one thing I do is to try to match the shape of the bottle to the shape of the pocket. So far the Aqua Fina water bottles are my favorite. Even doing that I find that occasionally an empty bottle will start to work it's way out of the pocket, so again, this is one of those little things that every hiker has to work out to their own satisfaction.

Short version: there really isn't a "right way" or a "wrong way" but there is a method that will work best for you.

jersey joe
02-27-2008, 09:48
No big deal except for all the plastic bottles layin around.

Less plastic laying around than if you lost a nalgene.

AlwaysHiking
02-27-2008, 09:50
Less plastic laying around than if you lost a nalgene.

Trash is trash is trash. Doesn't matter what it says on the outside of it.

Midway Sam
02-27-2008, 09:53
get a new pack. One you can trust. That's what i'd do anyway. i don't want any doubts as to whether my gear can handle the situation i put myself into. I don't carry much water. If i only have one bottle, i am not going to lose it.

Seriously!? You would buy a new backpack just because your water bottle fell out once? I'm not knocking ya, but to me that seems both extreme and wasteful.

jersey joe
02-27-2008, 09:59
Trash is trash is trash. Doesn't matter what it says on the outside of it.
Of course, no one would dispute that.

Pony
02-27-2008, 13:24
Coleman makes a small biner that is connected to a plastic circle clip that fits around the top of a 20 oz pop bottle. I got one for Christmas, but I tied it to some paracord to hang my food bag with.

This happened to me once, but luckily it was on a day hike and I was able to retrieve the bottle the next day.

atraildreamer
02-27-2008, 13:58
Coleman makes a small biner that is connected to a plastic circle clip that fits around the top of a 20 oz pop bottle. I got one for Christmas, but I tied it to some paracord to hang my food bag with.

Wally World has them too...a couple of buck for 2. Easy enough to make your own using a small biner and nylon cord. :-?

notorius tic
02-27-2008, 14:07
Carried the same Gator AIDE bottle for about 750 miles an Zeppherhills makes a great 14 oz botttle made of some indostuctable stuff.. Carried that 1 all the way an in the end had Niner an a few others carve there initials in it got it placked<: This thing froze heated an got dropped like 764643545687 times.. But still keept a platty 2liter in my pack just no water cooking fill ups from long water points ect.. Its all about CHOICE

notorius tic
02-27-2008, 14:12
Heck Niner would only drink 8z a day even on long treks 18 mile days Hes a Camel im a Water Drunkerd out there.<: I freaked in PA no water for 18 miles sometimes longer hall if you miss an its freaking 100 dgs... Pa sucked last year...

Blissful
02-27-2008, 14:42
Be sure too the bottle is a coke bottle or something like that, then the loss is not so sorely felt. (I also had a playtpus set up)

NorthCountryWoods
02-27-2008, 14:43
They make holsters for water bottles that attach to your pack, usually the hip belt. Works great and keeps the bottle close at hand. I find that I drink more when the water is close at hand rather than in my pack.

x2. Works well for me too.

desdemona
02-27-2008, 15:19

Yikes! That is expensive and wasteful. All the ones with the mesh pockets have the same potential problem, imo. However, the various answers have been good. I want to steer away from throw away solutions-- though at least you aren't losing much. But really there have been some good answers.

Anyone know the name of those water bottle "leashes". (I want to keep my bottle on a leash? :) )

--des

fiddlehead
02-27-2008, 16:51
Well, my pack (Go-lite Breeze) has elastic at the top of the pockets and i never lost a water bottle. Sounds like many of the above people have. I'm sorry, if you hiked in the desert, you would want to be sure your water bottle is secure. It's quite important to me.

max patch
02-27-2008, 16:55
Every backpack and day pack I've owned has a secure place for water bottles on the side of the pack that uses a zipper to open/close. Something that I've alway looked for in a pack.

leeki pole
02-27-2008, 17:09
I like mine, fits on my big pack and day pack hipbelt. Mine's a Gregory, I think. Easy to get to, and like diver says, I drink a lot more that way. Holds up to a one liter Nalgene.

desdemona
02-28-2008, 01:01
Every backpack and day pack I've owned has a secure place for water bottles on the side of the pack that uses a zipper to open/close. Something that I've alway looked for in a pack.

I didn't see this on any pack I looked at. Too bad. OTOH, I think that it might be fixable in a diy sort of way.

--des

JAK
02-28-2008, 01:30
I do the two or three bottle system also. I did drop one once on a long winter trudge along a road and went back for it because I really needed two on that trip. It is possible with my Jam2 pack to loop the Nalgene loop through my side compression strap, but I don't use Nalgene's anymore unless I get one of those PP ones and they are rather heavy and I use boiling hot water for my tea. My new aluminum flasks have those twist caps with a big hole on top so I will likely use a lanyard. Still, I think waterbottles really belong in front, so I need to rig something up for upfront, and use those pockets for something else. I'm thinking mug and stove and firekit and tea making kit and stuff like that so I can stop for tea without having to dig stuff out.

desdemona
02-28-2008, 10:23
I may try the 2-3 bottle system (2 at the sides and one in the pack). I think all the bottles I have had have had a loop in them that would easily attach to something.

Someone is right that losing a bottle in the desert is worse. Of course the weather isn't extreme now.

BTW, I think I dropped it while scrambling. I might of hit the bottle wrong going down a big rock.

I have been looking around for something that might be a leash. I have an extra caribener or two. I always go to stores looking for things that aren't for their intended purposes. :)

--des

AlwaysHiking
02-28-2008, 10:30
I have been looking around for something that might be a leash. I have an extra caribener or two. I always go to stores looking for things that aren't for their intended purposes. :)

--des

Here's what was mentioned. Never used one, but I see them in stores frequently.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-6682467-7506037?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Bottle+Carabiner&x=0&y=0