PDA

View Full Version : Cheap and Robust

Old Hillwalker
02-26-2008, 16:51
What is the strongest soft drink bottle for carrying denatured alky? I've currently got mine in a 20 oz Coke bottle, but it seems pretty flimsy. Dew, Pepsi, Moxie, Sprite, Dr. pee pee? Anyone?

hobojoe
02-26-2008, 16:53
Listerene bottle, many sizes, strong material, child proof (not hobo proof), Flat so it packs easy, also makes a good flask.

DAKS
02-26-2008, 16:55
yup, listerine bottle.

johnny quest
02-26-2008, 16:56
i would be insulted by you defaming my favorite drink and livelihood, but your forgiven as your a yankee and what passes for Dr Pepper up there is horrid.
all the sodas youve listed use the same type plastic bottle (not Dublin Dr Pepper, we DONT use plastic bottles!)
if you want thicker plastic look at a gatorade or other noncarb sports drink

The Weasel
02-26-2008, 17:19
keep using the pop bottle. when you think its wearing out, buy anothe soda for a buck and use the new one. do it in a state with a refund and it costs less.

TW

Cuffs
02-26-2008, 20:57
Listerene bottle, many sizes, strong material, child proof (not hobo proof), Flat so it packs easy, also makes a good flask.

I love carrying that listerine bottle! With its unique shape, No way it can get confused with any other bottle, even in the dark!

RedneckRye
02-26-2008, 21:27
You've got to love this time of year.
Anything and everything is discussed.
Of course all of these types of bottles "seem pretty flimsy", they are designed to be used once and then pitched (or recycled, depending on your green-ness).
That being said, I've never heard of anyone puncturing their bottle.
Pull one out of the nearest trash can, rinse it out and use it for a few thousand miles.

Marta
02-26-2008, 22:20
I like using a Sprite bottle because it's a different color and shape my my other bottles. I've never had one break or leak...but if it did, it would not be hard to get another one.

KG4FAM
02-26-2008, 22:21
The last one I used was a small apple juice bottle.

hurryinghoosier
02-27-2008, 09:07
Nalgene flask.
Strong, never leaks, and flat, holds 12 oz

Hooch
02-27-2008, 09:18
I've got 2 different size bottles to carry, depending on the length of trip. A 6 oz. bottle that came with my Caldera Cone and a 10 oz. hard plastic cough medicine bottle. I haven't had any trouble with either one.

Lilred
02-27-2008, 11:15
In Walmart's camping section, and many other stores, you can find a plastic whiskey flask. It's a milky plastic and a concave body shape. Comes with a 1 ounce jigger on top for easy measuring. I've used the same one for three years and even keep my alcohol stored in it for months at a time, no leaks, no problem and I'll never get it confused with a drinking bottle. It costs about 3 bucks.

Outrider
02-27-2008, 11:23
I went by my local pharmacy and got a few of the dark plastic medicine bottles with child proof lids. They have worked great for me. You can get them in different sizes as well. Just ask and most of the time they will just give them to you.

Nearly Normal
02-27-2008, 13:48
I went by my local pharmacy and got a few of the dark plastic medicine bottles with child proof lids. They have worked great for me. You can get them in different sizes as well. Just ask and most of the time they will just give them to you.

Measure printed on the side too.

Hooch
02-27-2008, 13:50
I went by my local pharmacy and got a few of the dark plastic medicine bottles with child proof lids. They have worked great for me. You can get them in different sizes as well. Just ask and most of the time they will just give them to you.I've got a few of those. I get 'em from the PharmD students at work. :D Anything to keep the nurses happy. :banana

JAK
02-27-2008, 14:57
There might be other things to consider when carrying denatured alcohol vs water. On one hand it needs to be more robust because of what its carrying, and it is particularly vulnerable when half full, but on the other hand it might be possible to protect it within your stove/kitchen kit or first aid kit depending on what its for. The right size bottle might be as important as the right weight. Also, the ability to pour small amounts. Finally, two or three smaller bottles might be better than one larger one, if they are the right size and shape and function.

JAK
02-27-2008, 14:58
Not sure what the different plastics are like -0F and colder. Could be an issue.

maconmatt
02-27-2008, 15:04
I recommend going to Wally World to the garden section. Find the section that has engine oil, etc. They usually have PERFECT containers that have a 2-stage chamber that allows you to measure it out before you pour.

Mine is similar to this:http://www.picoodle.com/getcode.php?url=img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/2/27/f_imagesm_9a74233.jpg&pwidget=&callback=&mode=

Jimmers
Not exactly lighter or cheap, but you could always buy a plastic pint bottle of say, Jack Daniels, empty it at your leisure, and then refill with alcohol. I remember those being much tougher and thicker than other bottles.

And much more fun to empty than a bottle of Listerine.:D

maconmatt
Try again. (http://www.picoodle.com/getcode.php?url=img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/2/27/f_imagesm_9a74233.jpg&pwidget=&callback=&mode=)

maconmatt
02-27-2008, 15:05
Third time is a charm. (http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/2/27/f_imagesm_9a74233.jpg)

Pootz
02-27-2008, 15:09
I picked up a 10 oz juice bottle, works great and is a little more sturdy than a soda bottle. Used it last year from Daleville to Katahdin and it is still in great condition. On a side note I use gatorade bottles instead of nalgene bottles in warm weather. Saves you a little weight and I like taking gatorade out of towns. In cold weather I like to put boiling water in a nalgene bottle. gatorade bottles can handle hot but not boiling water.