PDA

View Full Version : Erwin Hiking Center update

Miss Janet
02-26-2008, 20:26
The plans for moving Miss Janet's House to a new location are no more. While I still believe that the Erwin Hiking Center project had a tremendous potential; I just could not make it happen.

The property that I have been working on for several months suddenly became "unavailable". This was the fourth possible location that I have offered a lease proposal or a purchase plan for in the past 5 months. I am done. Exhausted emotionally from the constant roller coaster of planning, excitement and denial. Exhausted physically from nearly constant insomnia. I have just ran out of options. I am heartbroken right now and I think that a few of you might be able to understand this... some of you will have no idea how important this project has been to me.

Hikers coming through Erwin will find a variety of good services available. They will be fine. I really hope the best for the class of 2008. Please let people know that I will NOT be in the house on Elm Street. I will be trying to sell this house and I will not be available for visitors. Please respect that I must now concentrate on selling this house and trying to figure out what to do with my life.

In a few weeks I will post a list of things I have available that still can be used. If you know of any other hostels with particular needs let me know. I will not be able to afford to store them for very long and I would rather know they are going to be used.

I appreciate all the love and support and assistance that I have gotten from the AT community over the past 10 years. You will not be forgotten! I will miss all of you so much!

Lilred
02-26-2008, 20:30
This is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. Do you have to stay in Erwin?

Nean
02-26-2008, 20:42
Bummer Miss J.:( Sounds like it's time for a ------- road trip!!!:banana

I'm not worried about you one bit.;) One door closes and another WILL open; I'm as sure of that as anything in this life. It may not happen in Erwin but soon you will end up where you need to be. I honestly believe that; there is somewhere even better waiting for you! Come visit Colorado!:D

Doctari
02-26-2008, 20:46
OK, now I am SAD! :(

dixicritter
02-26-2008, 20:48
Oh Miss J, I am so sorry to hear that. I know how much you were looking forward to this working out. ~hugs~

Skidsteer
02-26-2008, 20:52
That's a shame, Miss Janet.

Don't worry, you'll land on your feet.

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 20:57
MJ - not sure if this part of it is in your interest, but the trail would love you. And the hikers. Open arms for you from Springer to Katahdin.
Peace and much love girl.
:sun:sun:sun:sun

Creek Dancer
02-26-2008, 20:57
I am so sorry to hear this Miss Janet. You are a passionate, strong and resourceful woman. I am sure you will be okay. I will be praying for you.

Hooch
02-26-2008, 20:59
Well that just ****ing blows. Miss Janet, you'll wind up in the right place at the right time, I'm convinced of it. :D Good vibes being sent to you from all of us at WB!

Roots
02-26-2008, 21:13
I am so sorry, Miss Janet. I know how you have poured yourself into this center getting up and running. I truely believe, as others have said, that good things will come from all of this, although I know it doesn't seem that way right now. Your hard work and big heart WILL NOT go unnoticed. There are better things ahead for you. PLEASE know our thoughts are with you. KEEP SMILING!! :sun

peanuts
02-26-2008, 21:52
miss j., i am so sorry. there is something wrong with those people...
you will be able to fulfill your dream, that i am sure! keep your chin up:)
lots of hugs....

Marta
02-26-2008, 22:18
I'm so sorry to hear the bad news, Miss Janet. Best wishes for a lucrative sale of the house...

Almost There
02-26-2008, 22:40
:(Almost There is holdin' back the tears....I'm sorry Ms. J. something good is gonna happen to ya'....You have too much good karma stored up in the bank!:jump

sherrill
02-26-2008, 22:59
Janet - it may be cliche, but things have a reason and a purpose. Sometimes they don't work out as we hoped and wished, but it doesn't mean that it's not meant to be if you really want it. Take time to rest, you've earned it. When it's time to focus again on your ideas, you'll know it. Good luck.

Wonder
02-26-2008, 23:14
I'm sorry Miss J.....so sorry.

Tennessee Viking
02-26-2008, 23:38
Don't worry Miss J. It might just need some time, the right opportunity, and right investor. You took away enough time and energy to look after us hikers. You probably need a vacation, and pamper yourself.

Why don't you come out with me and Mtn Squid for maintenance. It helps me with my ordeals of life (...work). Then we will have a day of Hardcore up in between Iron Mtn Gap and Cherry Gap.

Lazarus
02-26-2008, 23:58
Miss Janet, tho I've never met you, I feel like I know you. Best of luck! Don't give up!! This is just a bump in the trail. And I hope I'm there on opening day of the Erwin Hiking Center!

Lazarus/David

Pennsylvania Rose
02-27-2008, 10:45
Miss Janet - I can only imagine how heartbroken and stressed you are right now. The kids and I really enjoyed your company, even if it was just for a short ride. Rhiannon still uses the bamboo hiking pole you gave her. I'm sure that in time everything will work out for the best. We look forward to seeing you again. Now go take a long, hot bubble bath.

Gray Blazer
02-27-2008, 10:49
Miss Janet, tho I've never met you, I feel like I know you. Best of luck! Don't give up!! This is just a bump in the trail. And I hope I'm there on opening day of the Erwin Hiking Center!

Lazarus/David

My sentiments, also. Sending lots of love your way!!:sun

Thoughtful Owl
02-27-2008, 11:20
Really sorry to hear this sad news Miss Janet. I like so many others believe when the time is right the Erwin Hiking Center will flurish. Get the much needed rest and do something for yourself. In time, you will develope a renewed vision for greater things to come and witha a renewed vigor persue that dream. You are a tough and sweet lady and can handle this little walk through the valley to reach the mountain top.

minnesotasmith
02-27-2008, 11:51
There are tons of other places along the Trail that could majorly use a hostel, especially the Miss Janet hostel. Please, please, don't limit your looking to Erwin. You could count on no end of help from a grateful hiking community, from finding a place, to funding, to labor, and you know it. (I'll pledge 100.00 the second you tell me you've settled on a place.) You're not alone, okay?

hobojoe
02-27-2008, 12:04
Please don't say Goodbye just yet Miss J, we'll make it happen for you. We all love you. I will still see you soon.

Sly
02-27-2008, 15:46
Well that just ****ing blows.

What Hooch said.

walkin' wally
02-27-2008, 18:58
I was so looking forward to meeting you in 2010. I hope something comes along that can't be forseen now that makes you happy doing the things that you have done so well. I will bet some good trail karma comes your way.

Good Luck and best wishes.

ww

Hooch
02-27-2008, 19:00
I was so looking forward to meeting you in 2010. I hope something comes along that can't be forseen now that makes you happy doing the things that you have done so well. I will bet some good trail karma comes your way.

Good Luck and best wishes.

wwIf anyone has some good karma coming her way, it's Miss J. :D

trailangelmary
02-28-2008, 03:47
Miss Janet,
I am so sorry that your plan has not worked out for you as quickly as you hoped but I am sure that it will in time. As others have said so much better than I can, you will find your place and time.
I have never had the opportunity to know you as well as some others of the hiking community but I knew from the start that you are very intelligent with a real business sense.
Just remember, we are not given humps in the road for kicks. There is a reason and I truly believe that when one door closes another opens.
I don't have much to share but an ear and lots of hugs. I am sure you will keep in touch and if you are ever in the Duncannon area, I have a fold out couch.
X O X O X O

yappy
02-28-2008, 14:38
Miss J, whatever would we do without you ?!...:( keep the faith, something will come up and then we will all be over to MOVE IN with you again...:))

Red Hat
02-29-2008, 15:02
LOL, the idea is for us NOT to move in, Yappy. She wants to be helpful, but not overloaded. Thanks for everything you do, and have done, Miss Janet! Hopefully, things will work out for the Erwin Center eventually. I know how disappointed you must be. Best of luck with the sale of your house.

Binjali
03-02-2008, 17:43
What sad news. Your home was certainly a high point of my trip in 2007, Miss Janet and I was very pleased to see you in Damascus later on. I will always have fond memories of my stay. I'm not done with the AT, so I will hope to stay at the Erwin Hiking Center when I hit town some future day.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-02-2008, 19:03
::: Dino seen weeping and curling a loving tail around Miss Janet :::