PDA

View Full Version : How to Hike the AT

wilderness monk
02-26-2008, 21:34
:clap Starting on April 1, 2008 from 5:30 - 7:00pm, and each Tuesday during the month of April; The Trail Store in Louisville Kentucky will hosting the Lynne Whelden Film "How to hike the Appalachian Trail".

Stop by for coffee and maybe pick up a tip or two from the experts like Warren Doyle, Wingfoot, Stumby and many others with a total of 85,000 miles of experience.

The Trail Store
1321 Herr Lane, Suite #185
Louisville, Ky 40222
(502) 423-1545

dessertrat
02-26-2008, 22:33
One foot in front of the other?

sherrill
02-26-2008, 23:23
Yeah, I hate to be flip, but just find a place on the trail and walk...

Even if you are trying to attempt a thru, in the end, you figure it out on your own (although advice from experienced hikers does help).

Frosty
02-27-2008, 00:35
One foot in front of the other?Just like brain surgery:

1. Cut open the head
2. Fix the brain
3. Put the skull back together

mts4602
02-27-2008, 00:46
Hey, I'm from Louisville! I've been in that store a couple times.

You don't by any chance work there do you? B/c The Trail Store is seriously lacking in their varity of products.

The first time I went there was around Xmas and I figured that since it had just opened recently that maybe they would get new stuff in later...well I went in there recently, and nope, pretty much nothing new. My business is going to Quest unless they get some more stuff.

I don't mean to bash the place though, I just feel like it's not going to do very well if they don't do something about the products they sell. It has a nice atmosphere and I'd like to shop there more.

HIKER7s
02-27-2008, 07:27
learn-shakedown-go

StarLyte
02-27-2008, 07:57
All it takes is one person, one idea, one moment to inspire someone.

Thank you for the post. Wish I were closer, I'd stop in.

Cindy from Indy
02-27-2008, 08:32
One foot in front of the other?

True, true. However, this movie does offer some really good ideas and unusual tips that I've integrated into my upcoming hike.

I thought is was a worth while movie:sun

Mrs Baggins
02-27-2008, 08:41
True, true. However, this movie does offer some really good ideas and unusual tips that I've integrated into my upcoming hike.

I thought is was a worth while movie:sun

The whole thing on how to hike "zero" ??? You don't find that just a little weird??? No food, no pack, no weather gear, no first aid items..........just "zero." Stupid, arrogant, dangerous.............

Cindy from Indy
02-27-2008, 08:47
The whole thing on how to hike "zero" ??? You don't find that just a little weird??? No food, no pack, no weather gear, no first aid items..........just "zero." Stupid, arrogant, dangerous.............

Are we talking about the same movie???

Mrs Baggins
02-27-2008, 09:22
Are we talking about the same movie???

I have Lynn Weldon's 2 tape VHS set of "How To Hike The Appalachian Trail." At the end of the 2nd tape is a whole weird thing on how to hike "zero" and the joys of "zero". Right up to that we were enjoying the tapes. But that was just other-worldly.

Mrs Baggins
02-27-2008, 09:30
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/LINDAP%7E1.000/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpgLook on the back of the of cover of the set - - right at the end of tape 2, running 2 min 5 sec is the segment titled "Zero." I just looked it up to make absolutely sure that I was right.

rafe
02-27-2008, 09:36

Zealots are everywhere. The ultralight community is blessed with them. :D

Tabasco
02-27-2008, 09:42

Sounds like slackpacking to me?

Cindy from Indy
02-27-2008, 09:47
I have Lynn Weldon's 2 tape VHS set of "How To Hike The Appalachian Trail." At the end of the 2nd tape is a whole weird thing on how to hike "zero" and the joys of "zero". Right up to that we were enjoying the tapes. But that was just other-worldly.

Oh yeah!! I remember that part.....it was definitely weird and I couldn't relate to it at all and I 'blanked' it from my memory. LOL

bredler
02-27-2008, 09:53

To me, even if I'm just on a dayhike, I virtually only feel comfortable if I have some junk strapped to my back. I might not use all of it, but I have peace of mind, and I like the feeling of the pack.

Cindy from Indy
02-27-2008, 10:03
To me, even if I'm just on a dayhike, I virtually only feel comfortable if I have some junk strapped to my back. I might not use all of it, but I have peace of mind, and I like the feeling of the pack.

That feeling you have is called "peace of mind" and it's based on "common sense". Apparently that guy in the movie, advocating "Zero", doesn't care about the first and doesn't have much of the second! LOL

Midway Sam
02-27-2008, 10:05
My business is going to Quest unless they get some more stuff.

Ryan King, the owner of the Summit location is an acquaintance of mine. He's a helluva good guy and I wholeheartedly advocate giving him your business.

Footslogger
02-27-2008, 10:13
All it takes is one person, one idea, one moment to inspire someone.

Thank you for the post. Wish I were closer, I'd stop in.

==================================

Good point ...me too.

I'll admit that the title of the presentation is a tad presumptive but hey, everyone has their own opinion.

Who knows ...this old dog might learn some new tricks !!

'Slogger

Mrs Baggins
02-27-2008, 10:34

He was doing it for at least 2, may have even been 3, days straight - overnighting with nothing but a water bottle. I think he may have added something like gatorade powder to it but that was it. This was no slackpacking day hike. I don't ever go out hiking, no matter how short the trip, without at least water, Snickers, an apple, a rainproof jacket tied around my waist, and at least one Advil in a baggie. I always carry a cell phone as well in case of emergency, never to just chat on.