PDA

View Full Version : Thru-ing The Long

EricSJNH
02-27-2008, 10:22
Hey everyone,

Summer after freshman year of college and I can't think of any better time to thruhike the long trail. I've just begun nailing down the details of my trip. I'm looking to leave at the very beginning of August and finish, at the very latest, within 20 days. I'm a strong backpacker so the pace for me is half the fun!

I've been searching on trailjournals.com for a while now to find some journals detailing a sub 20 day thru but I'm having trouble finding one. Anyone know of one off the top of their heads?

Also, I want to buy the Long Trail Guide and the 2007 edition is the only one currently offered. Is this good for planning a 2008 trip? I'm not sure when new editions are published..

Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated..thanks!

-EricSJNH

rhjanes
02-27-2008, 10:26
This is 27 days....but WOW...
http://www.jamiecompos.com/longtrail.html

And Jan's...buy the book
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=766

NorthCountryWoods
02-27-2008, 10:52
I know a guy that did it in under 19 (can't remember the exact number), but he doesn't have a journal. He went super lite and ran a lot of it.

New guides come out every couple years, so the 2007 should be perfect.

Frosty
02-27-2008, 10:59
The Long Trail Guide comes out every four or so years. THe current edition was published last year, so buy now. THere won't be a new guide out before you hike.

What you really need is the End-to-End Guide:

https://www.greenmountainclub.org/product_detail.php?sku=2225

It has all the planning info that you need. It does change every year, but I would still buy one now so you can do your planning. There may be a few changes in stores, lodging, etc, but it would be more helpful to have for planning.

You could use any trail journals trip to get a feel for yours. Re-supply options are rather fixed on the LT, so you would just be carrying less food between stops than someone on a 28 day schedule. The people who hike really fast tend not to journal or if they do, tend to write smaller entries. makes sense, if you think about it.

Did you check out Pedxing's journals? He hiked SOBO in 2004 or 2005 and NOBO last year. He is a very strong hiker and did it in your time frame.

Hey everyone,

Summer after freshman year of college and I can't think of any better time to thruhike the long trail. I've just begun nailing down the details of my trip. I'm looking to leave at the very beginning of August and finish, at the very latest, within 20 days. I'm a strong backpacker so the pace for me is half the fun!

I've been searching on trailjournals.com for a while now to find some journals detailing a sub 20 day thru but I'm having trouble finding one. Anyone know of one off the top of their heads?

Also, I want to buy the Long Trail Guide and the 2007 edition is the only one currently offered. Is this good for planning a 2008 trip? I'm not sure when new editions are published..

-EricSJNH

Kerosene
02-27-2008, 12:58
If you're traveling light, are strong, and don't get injured then I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to go thru in 20 days. I did it SOBO in 27 days with 5 nero/zeros in August 1979 with a 45-pound pack, a newbie for a companion, and 22 days with rain.

I wouldn't stress about the itinerary, as it's likely to shift anyway depending on how you feel and the weather. Just shoot for 15-mile days and you should be fine. Note that it will be harder to crank out that kind of mileage on the northern part of the LT. The bigger challenge will be determining where to re-supply.

Here's a link (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=203) to the guidebooks and map you'll want to consider purchasing from the Green Mountain Club.

Littlest Hobo
02-27-2008, 13:20
...with one zero and a couple of nearo days, so 20 days is very doable.

Not sure I have many secrets to share. Never really did any ultra-high mileage days (I think 15 miles was my highest) - 12 to 13 miles a day was about my average. What I did do was make sure that I never spent the whole day hiking. Was on the trail by 6:30, hiked seven or eight miles, had a two to three hour break around mid-day, then hiked another four or five miles.

That, and the fact that my pack weight was light-ish (in the 25 pound range with food and water) meant that there were few days that I was really hurting. But you will have those days... trust me.

What I would suggest if you want to get done faster is go SOBO. If you do, the last 100 miles of the trail are a cakewalk compared to the northern half. Met a couple of southbounders just north of Bennington who were pushing 20 mile days easy.

Lone Wolf
02-27-2008, 13:26
Hey everyone,

-EricSJNH

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/
the 07 guide will be fine. get the map too

Mags
02-27-2008, 13:35
I did the Long Trail in 1997 in 18 days. I had much heavier pack and was in worse shape than I am in now.

So, if you go light and are in reasonable shape, a sub-20 day hike of the LT is very doable.

rhjanes
02-27-2008, 13:47
Upload and stitches looks like 18 days.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=207870

NorthCountryWoods
02-27-2008, 14:29

Looks like they skipped the first 100 miles or so.

If you can average 14 mile days, you can do it in 20. It's 278 miles from the Pine Cobble trailhead to Journeys end parking lot.

A-Train
02-27-2008, 17:36
You'll have no problem doing it in under 20. Be in good shape, carry a light pack and it shouldn't be a big deal. The first 100 miles you can cruise thru. Should be able to start off here at 15 mpd and work up for the first week. Definately will be harder the 2nd half. I found 15 mile days to be quite challening, where 20+mile days on the AT were doable.

My journal is on trailjournals if you wanna gander. I did it over 2 years but all together still something like 17 days I think.

peakbagger
02-28-2008, 13:53
Do yourself a favor and buy the map of the long trail, GMC sells it on their website. It has the entire trail on one map, shows all the shelters and is great for planning. The maps int he Long trail guide dont have enough detail on the surrounding areas, which you should have if you need to get off the trail for help.

The other thing is to build up a lot of brownie points with someone to pick you up at Journeys End. Its quite remote and a hard hitch

EricSJNH
02-28-2008, 22:00
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I ordered the End-to-End Guide yesterday off GMC's website and picked up the Long Trail map at the local EMS.

I guess the next step is to "force" myself to read up on the many suggested blogs and figure out some basic logistics of the trip. How unexciting and boring right?haha

rafe
02-28-2008, 23:20
Jan's book, The Ordinary Adventurer, is a must-read for anyone contemplating a hike of the LT. It's a great read. I guarantee you'll enjoy it.

pedxing
03-15-2008, 17:06
I did it in 19 days with a 1 1/2 of those days off trail in Burlington. I'm well into middle age and not fast, though I'm pretty steady (stubborn?), and it shouldn't be hard to best my pace. That trip journal is at

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=204071

pedxing
03-15-2008, 17:12
Just saw Frosty's post. Thanks for the kind words Frosty!

Under 20 should be no problem at all for a college age person who is a strong backpacker. Personally, I'd love to have a chance to send a month, but I had a great time both trips and was able to stop and swim, run off to the Whistle Stop Diner for a bite, spend most of a weekend off trail and have a few other off trail ventures.

EricSJNH
03-16-2008, 13:22
Pedxing,

Its too funny that you posted here because your journal, as suggested above, was the first one i read through!

I really enjoyed reading yours and joted down some notes about various shelters and towns that you commented upon.

Thanks for the reply,
EricSJNH

pedxing
03-16-2008, 18:22
Thanks Eric. I look forward to reading your trail journal later this year. If you have more questions down the line, feel free to follow up here through a post or a private message. I've been volunteering with the GMC as a "Long Trail Mentor," so I'm learning a bit about how to advise people and would be grateful if, after your hike, you'd tell me what advice people gave you that was helpful, what was unhelpful and what you wish someone had told you.

hammock engineer
03-16-2008, 19:01
Man all of this LT talk is making me want to revisit it and finish the parts I missed this year. If I don't land I real job by the end of the summer I'll have to go out.

On a side note, I remember parts of the northern LT being really scarse on the blazes. The popular spots are well marks. But some of the lesser traveled ones I think I only saw 5 up and over the bump.

Mags
03-17-2008, 10:33
The LT was first long hike and will always be special to me.

I'd really love to come back and do it in the Fall!

oruoja
03-17-2008, 19:17
I'll be going sobo from the border to App Gap at Rte 17 this July. Of the four thrus I have done in the past two were sobo and by the time you get to Middlebury Gap at Vt 125 the rest of way is quite a bit easier. As for doing it in 20 days, yeah it's very possible, but you will hit sections and specific places where the temptation to slow down or stop early will be great. Of course, then there is the weather which could allow you to speed up or make the going slower. The only major work I'm aware of for this season involves the replacement of Montclair Glen Camp south of Camel's Hump. With this seasons high snow pack the mud should be premium grade.

Dogwood
03-17-2008, 21:26
I did it southbound Oct 07 in 19 days but I was not physically prepared enough for the moderately strenuous ups and downs on the northern half. However, I never felt I was pushing it. I mistakenly thought the northern half was going to be much the same as the southern half that I had experienced on an 06 AT thru-hike. If going southbound and U R planning 20+ mile days starting out at North Jay/Trails End be physically in shape when U start. If U do it this way U will be cruising on the southern half. Carry a light pack as others have suggested. Be prepared for mud at anytime of yr.! I recommend exploring some of the short side trails on Mt. Mannsfield.

earlylight
03-17-2008, 22:44
Jan's book, The Ordinary Adventurer, is a must-read for anyone contemplating a hike of the LT. It's a great read. I guarantee you'll enjoy it.

Where can I buy this book? I'm starting the Long this year..hope to finish most of it. Thx!

Quoddy
03-18-2008, 09:46
Where can I buy this book? I'm starting the Long this year..hope to finish most of it. Thx!
Here's (http://funfreedom.com/) the link for ordering. Great book! I've now read it four times.
(The link can be very slow on occasions)

CrumbSnatcher
03-18-2008, 21:13
my ole' lady, our daughter and myself might tackle the long trail this fall.I know the north is tougher! Beside this,north or south you convince me.( anyone have photos of the northern half?Let us know what to miss, what not to miss, (bars-hostels/motels-bars,etc.)hook us up. thanks p.s. any one know of any good child carrier/backpacks.

Quoddy
03-19-2008, 09:26
Beside this,north or south you convince me.( anyone have photos of the northern half?Let us know what to miss, what not to miss, (bars-hostels/motels-bars,etc.)hook us up. thanks
I definitely recommend NOBO if you're planning on definitely going all the way. If you're doing a portion and want to see the very best, begin NOBO at Lincoln Gap and dive right in to the best, and toughest, part of the trail.
Some photos (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=283934) from my hike last year. Any questions, email me and I'll do my best to answer them.

CrumbSnatcher
03-19-2008, 09:46
I definitely recommend NOBO if you're planning on definitely going all the way. If you're doing a portion and want to see the very best, begin NOBO at Lincoln Gap and dive right in to the best, and toughest, part of the trail.
Some photos (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=283934) from my hike last year. Any questions, email me and I'll do my best to answer them.
thanks Quoddy

earlylight
03-26-2008, 08:35
Great photos Quoddy. Can't wait til Mud Season is over.

angewrite
04-06-2008, 02:21

I ran into them both last September (I think it was Butler lodge) while I was heading South on the LT. Great people but I don't think they hiked end to end.

-Bobcat

angewrite
04-06-2008, 02:26
FYI- anyone hiking the LT this summer/fall let me know. After the AT I hiked the LT sobo last fall. I live in Burlington and if I can I'd be happy to help anyone out.

wakapak
04-06-2008, 09:36
my ole' lady, our daughter and myself might tackle the long trail this fall.I know the north is tougher! Beside this,north or south you convince me.( anyone have photos of the northern half?Let us know what to miss, what not to miss, (bars-hostels/motels-bars,etc.)hook us up. thanks p.s. any one know of any good child carrier/backpacks.

Crumb, check out the Kely Kid carriers...I have some friends who have used them in the past and they seeme to really like them!

wakapak
04-06-2008, 09:36
Doh, i meant Kelty, but you probably figured that out!

pedxing
04-06-2008, 14:21
I ran into them both last September (I think it was Butler lodge) while I was heading South on the LT. Great people but I don't think they hiked end to end.
-Bobcat

I think that's right. This was a follow-up on an AT thru-hike, do they skipped the 100 miles south of Rt. 4 - starting just below Maine junction.

CrumbSnatcher
04-23-2008, 20:50
whats the difference between the long trail guide and the end to enders guide book? thanks

pedxing
04-23-2008, 20:58
E2E guide is a practical (if somewhat redundant and repetitive) guide to the Long Trail focusing on resources for Thru-Hikers (shelters, towns, road access, resupply, etc). Its pretty similar in purpose to Wingfoot's now defunct guides. The Long Trail guide is all about the trail itself, the side trails - somewhat analagous to the State by State AT guides (but without separate maps - topos and maps are in the book)

CrumbSnatcher
04-23-2008, 21:04
E2E guide is a practical (if somewhat redundant and repetitive) guide to the Long Trail focusing on resources for Thru-Hikers (shelters, towns, road access, resupply, etc). Its pretty similar in purpose to Wingfoot's now defunct guides. The Long Trail guide is all about the trail itself, the side trails - somewhat analagous to the State by State AT guides (but without separate maps - topos and maps are in the book) thanks pedxing

Landshark
04-26-2008, 17:22
Here's (http://funfreedom.com/) the link for ordering. Great book! I've now read it four times.
(The link can be very slow on occasions)

This made me chuckle... it sounds like the link is so slow you were able to read Lightshoe's book four times while you were waiting!

:)

Chef2000
04-28-2008, 06:41
There was a guy in 04 , maybe, cant remeber wat year, he ran the entire trail SOBO in like five or six days, he had van support at many road crossings(I met folks in van), the story goes that he fainted before he got to MA border and had to be carried out, when asked by local media what he remebered mostly about his hike, his reply , was nothing.

sasquatch2014
04-28-2008, 07:20

Tough Traveler out of Schenectady Ny has been making one for years and very hardy. I had one for both of my kids and we were not gentle on it at all.

I read a book by a person who not only wanted to thru the LT but wanted to stay out in the woods as long as possible so he set up food cashes along the trail and stayed out for the full 30 days that it took him.

pedxing
04-28-2008, 07:38
Chef. The guy you describe is Ted Keiser, aka Cave Dog. He tried for a speed record for the LT in '03 and collapsed as you describe. He tried again and succeeded in '04.

The account of the collapse is a good read at:
http://www.thecavedog.com/Long_Trail-Web_Pages/The_Long_Trail/Descending_into_the_Maelstrom.pdf

All his Long Trail stuff is collected at:

http://www.thecavedog.com/Long_Trail-Web_Pages/The_Long_Trail/Long_Trail-index-frame.html

CrumbSnatcher
04-28-2008, 07:41
Tough Traveler out of Schenectady Ny has been making one for years and very hardy. I had one for both of my kids and we were not gentle on it at all.

I read a book by a person who not only wanted to thru the LT but wanted to stay out in the woods as long as possible so he set up food cashes along the trail and stayed out for the full 30 days that it took him.
thanks for the info

Jan LiteShoe
04-29-2008, 09:28
Hey guys, thanks for suggesting the book to a LT hiker.
(Does the website (http://www.FunFreedom.com) really load slowly)?

I don't know if my perspective will really suit a fit, strong post-freshman though, since I was just learning to backpack (slowly!), and during a drought year.

Here's a 19-day hike journal that's enjoyable - it can give you an idea of how the mileage shifts as you move north, etc. Very funny journal too:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=1584

Jan LiteShoe
04-29-2008, 09:29
This made me chuckle... it sounds like the link is so slow you were able to read Lightshoe's book four times while you were waiting!

:)

That's a REALLY slow website!
:sun

No Belay
05-06-2008, 14:14
Hey Jan, Just ordered the book and had no problem with the site... and I'm on dialup. Looking forward to reading about the pupa stage of an LT hiker.:D

Savor Happy!

CrumbSnatcher
05-23-2008, 11:59
[quote=Frosty;552387]The Long Trail Guide comes out every four or so years. THe current edition was published last year, so buy now. THere won't be a new guide out before you hike.

What you really need is the End-to-End Guide:

i was told the end to enders guide only comes out every two years,looking at a thru this year. just wanted the book to be as new as possible/up to date.i guess that would be the 2007 book? and the 2007 guide book and that won't be redone til 2011? anyone know the total elevation gains and losses on the long trail. north and south thanks p.s. is the new editor of the appalachian trail thruhikers handbook the same guy that did the longtrail e2enders book.

DuctTape
05-24-2008, 00:06
The enders guide gives the elevation gain and loss between each shelter in both directions. I don't have my copy on hand but it's only a matter of sitting down and adding up the totals to figure it out I suppose.

I think the author of the enders book is a GMC member who has nothing to do with the AT thruhikers book but that's just an educated guess.

djessop
07-07-2008, 23:04
Eric,

Bah. Don't listen to the haters amigo. You can do it. Give it all you've got and you'll get that plus more in return. I plan to thru-hike the LT this summer in 13 days. I'm about as confident in my ability to reach Journey's End in that timeframe as I am confident this will be a formidable challenge! In other words, it's a stretch and I believe in myself. Use the trail as a metaphor for your life, that's where the fun's at brother. Maybe I'll see you on the trail -- August 2 - 15, NOBO.

Chau.

Mags
07-08-2008, 02:12
Eric,

Bah. Don't listen to the haters amigo. You can do it.

Er... isn't that what we all said? I don't recall anyone saying that a sub-20 LT hike was not doable. Quite the contrary, actually.

Blister
07-10-2008, 23:54
Evidently Sal hit the trail yesturday, plans to be finished around the 25th. I havn't been able to catch up with her since she set foot back in New England. Hope to either while she is on the trail or after. This thing called a job really sucks!

Jan LiteShoe
07-11-2008, 10:35
August should be a big month.
I know at least a dozen folks going one way or another, planning to thru the Long Trail this year.

Plodderman
08-03-2008, 16:13
Palnning on doing the LT next summer (August). I am taking 6 weeks off work.

Frosty
08-03-2008, 16:40
August should be a big month.
I know at least a dozen folks going one way or another, planning to thru the Long Trail this year.I did the section ending at 11/30 this past week, and met several LT thruhikers, all NOBOs. Also a number of AT thruhikers, about equal # of NOBOs and SOBOs. The SOBOs talked about the high water in Maine in June.

Cookerhiker
08-03-2008, 20:30
Eric, I hiked it last August-September (http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhikerlt07/)although over considerably more than 20 days. It's a stupendous trail and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Have a good hike!

garyhebert
09-22-2008, 13:35
Just back from my NOBO LT assault in 12 1/2 days(Sept 1-13, 2008) It kicked my ass. In hindsight it wuz not a great plan. But I executed it anyway. Should've planned just a few more days. Traveled very lite & long days. Just nearos, no zeros.

Knowing the upper half profile was much more intense I frontloaded the trip with bigger miles early on, to lighten up my daily trail miles later on. Not a bad idea, I just overdid it. The first few days were ridiculously long. The hike actually got slightly easier as it evolved.

Hope to post summary soon on trailjournals.com/fedex. Happy to share details, lessons learned for anyone interested.

Happy Trails!

FedEx
AT '07
LT '08

Jan LiteShoe
09-22-2008, 13:52
Just back from my NOBO LT assault in 12 1/2 days(Sept 1-13, 2008) It kicked my ass. In hindsight it wuz not a great plan. But I executed it anyway. Should've planned just a few more days. Traveled very lite & long days. Just nearos, no zeros.

Knowing the upper half profile was much more intense I frontloaded the trip with bigger miles early on, to lighten up my daily trail miles later on. Not a bad idea, I just overdid it. The first few days were ridiculously long. The hike actually got slightly easier as it evolved.

Hope to post summary soon on trailjournals.com/fedex. Happy to share details, lessons learned for anyone interested.

Happy Trails!

FedEx
AT '07
LT '08

Congratulations FedEx!
It's a testy little trail, no?

My AT '03 hiking buddies Itchyfoot and Just Do It just finished the LT going NOBO from the MA line. Maybe you ran into them. Most likely you did. They took 33 days, partly because, well, it's hard climbing and they're old guys :), partly because they are retired and they can, and partly because one of them was nursing a bum knee.

I did the entire End-to-End in 27 days, and it nearly killed me. (Kicked my ass" in your terms - I think we need a new icon!)
Yet some 20-something friends did it in the high teens.

I think age, experience and basic fitness really widens the spread on this trail.
In terms of my friends (all over 65), they had two of the three.
:sun

strates
09-25-2008, 22:28
Eric, how'd you do? I was out there from 8/2 thru 8/21 and don't think I ran into you, but it would be interesting to see how close we were to crossing paths.

OTdarters
10-26-2008, 19:02
While speaking of thruing . . .
what time of year is best? would it be possible to go SOBO in autumn to catch peak foliage the entire way?

Quoddy
10-26-2008, 19:11
While speaking of thruing . . .
what time of year is best? would it be possible to go SOBO in autumn to catch peak foliage the entire way?
During an average year, beginning a SOBO hike between the 25th and 28 of September and covering the trail in roughly three weeks would be hitting the peak foliage all the way. I think that for the very best weather/temperature conditions that August is the best overall month for hiking the LT.

Cookerhiker
10-27-2008, 10:23
..... I think that for the very best weather/temperature conditions that August is the best overall month for hiking the LT.

And by August, the black flies are long gone and the mosquitos aren't bad either, at least they weren't when I hiked it last year.

DuctTape
10-28-2008, 20:14
would it be possible to go SOBO in autumn to catch peak foliage the entire way?

yes

joehiker22
06-06-2009, 15:34
3 weeks is no biggie to hike the long trail.

Dogwood
06-06-2009, 16:56
20 days is doable with a lighter pack, decent weather, and if you start out in hiking shape. I hammered it out in 2007 going SOBO in 21 days with 4 days of heavy all day rain, 3 zeros, sub 25 lb kit, and not being in as good of a hiking shape as I thought I was when I started. Starting out from Trails End and going south is definitely harder than going NOBO. 2007 Long Trl Guide should be adequate for a thru. LT always seems to be muddy in places so plan accordingly(possibly gaiters, WP trail runners). Northern section(roughly north of AT) is up down up down with lots of little rises that don't show up on elevation profiles - ie. not a whole lot of flat hiking.

Jofish
10-19-2009, 13:02
Chef. The guy you describe is Ted Keiser, aka Cave Dog. He tried for a speed record for the LT in '03 and collapsed as you describe. He tried again and succeeded in '04.

The account of the collapse is a good read at:
http://www.thecavedog.com/Long_Trail-Web_Pages/The_Long_Trail/Descending_into_the_Maelstrom.pdf

All his Long Trail stuff is collected at:

http://www.thecavedog.com/Long_Trail-Web_Pages/The_Long_Trail/Long_Trail-index-frame.html

Just over 4.5 days? Good lord! I think if I hike the Long Trail, I'll take just a little bit longer than that.