PDA

View Full Version : Annoying reminders...

paradoxb3
02-27-2008, 12:24
At work, in the gravel lot where we park behind the building, theres a wall with "parking space" markers. I park in the same place every day, so every morning i get to see this little guy:

http://www.paradoxrc.com/workblaze.jpg

Anyone else have little nagging daily reminders of where they'd RATHER be than at school/work/etc?

On the positive side, at least sometimes it reminds me of why I'm at work, saving back money for a future thru...

warraghiyagey
02-27-2008, 12:26
Across the street from me all the light poles have a reflective white blaze on them that very much reminds me of walking through Dalton.

Lone Wolf
02-27-2008, 12:26
i get a heluva lot more excited when i see a blue blaze

Hooch
02-27-2008, 12:30
At work, in the gravel lot where we park behind the building, theres a wall with "parking space" markers. I park in the same place every day, so every morning i get to see this little guy:

Anyone else have little nagging daily reminders of where they'd RATHER be than at school/work/etc?

On the positive side, at least sometimes it reminds me of why I'm at work, saving back money for a future thru...That's gotta suck. I drive past one of my local outfitters every night I work. The sign of the place (J & H Lanmark on Romany Road) taunts me every time I pass it on the way in to work. It knows I'd rather be hiking. :D

paradoxb3
02-27-2008, 12:46
i get a heluva lot more excited when i see a blue blaze

it may have once been blue and has since faded, who knows! :D

The sign of the place (J & H Lanmark on Romany Road) taunts me every time I pass it on the way in to work. It knows I'd rather be hiking.

And that neon "OPEN" sign probably flickers just a little bit to grab your attention every time too :cool:

Midway Sam
02-27-2008, 12:52
That's gotta suck. I drive past one of my local outfitters every night I work. The sign of the place (J & H Lanmark on Romany Road) taunts me every time I pass it on the way in to work. It knows I'd rather be hiking. :D

That's not an outfitter, that's a Patagonia to the Yuppies Depot!!!

I was all excited when they announce the Romany Road location because it's a mile or so from my office, but then I visited it. Boooo!!!

Hooch
02-27-2008, 12:53
That's not an outfitter, that's a Patagonia to the Yuppies Depot!!!

I was all excited when they announce the Romany Road location because it's a mile or so from my office, but then I visited it. Boooo!!!Gotta agree with you on that one, Sam. It does suck. But the logo does taunt me, cause I know how nice the other store is. Great folks there.

bloodmountainman
02-27-2008, 14:00
I live 5 miles from the trail. I have to get up and go the other direction every week day to go to this pesky job! I'm thankful to have a job to go to, but sometimes it's hard to drive away from those mountains!!!!:cool:

Cuffs
02-27-2008, 14:28
I dont see it daily, but theres a company here in Birmingham called Springer (something). Their service trucks are always around. I dont remember the full name because Im too busy daydreaming about Springer, GA!

jlb2012
02-27-2008, 14:38
This one is self inflicted but anyways I have a map of the AT in my cube right next to my count down to retirement - it does not help to improve efficiency. :-)

paradoxb3
02-29-2008, 02:47
additionally, since i live in Dalton, GA, on my way home from work every day, i get to see Pinhoti trail signs (the mighty turkey foot!) where the trail crosses town. :mad:

Marta
02-29-2008, 07:01
The one thing I like about not having a window in my office--it give me more wall space for maps and photos. I've got the AT map and the JMT maps taped up, with completion dates penned in along the way...and a Colorado Trail poster, for contemplation of a future trip.

Mostly, though, when I'm at work, I work. Unless things are really slow...in which case I check in on Whiteblaze from time to time.

HIKER7s
02-29-2008, 07:18

On the positive side, at least sometimes it reminds me of why I'm at work, saving back money for a future thru...

Yeah, to and from work I pass the local protected "wild" area called "5 mile woods" (which is now only about 2 miles worth), at one point a trail in the preserve runs about 15 feet off the road just in the tree line for about 200 feet before it cuts in.

Its not too bad in the morning as I go in at 4am and more or less have tunnel vision. On the way home, especially in fall, winter and early spring-when I can see the actual trail, it gets me yearning to get out there.

Frau
02-29-2008, 07:36
Our school was built atop a leveled knoll. From the school I can see the radar dome at Apple Orchard Mt. The AT passes on the high ridge east of the school at Robinson Gap. I can be at Punchbowl shelter in 10 minutes by car. I can see the Three Sisters overseeing the Maury River to the southeast. ALL DAY LONG I am reminded how much I wish I could retire now. Sometimes I force myself to stay inside so as to tame my Zehnsucht (best translation 'yearning').

More aggravating though, is the fact that WB is blocked on the school computers by Big Brother and the Withholding Company :( .

Frau

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-29-2008, 08:33
So I guess nobody else here has white blazes on half their trees and sidewalks and blue blazes on the other half :confused: :D

Gray Blazer
02-29-2008, 08:46
More aggravating though, is the fact that WB is blocked on the school computers by Big Brother and the Withholding Company :( .

Frau

Wow! That sucks! How is WB going to hurt children or school teachers? Dam those public screwells.:banana(When my administrarors find out all my posts on here were made at work it'll be the same thing.)

FallGirl
02-29-2008, 08:56
This one is self inflicted but anyways I have a map of the AT in my cube right next to my count down to retirement - it does not help to improve efficiency. :-)
I have the poster in my office too...and my current section map on my desk at home. You know, on my desk I even have an AT rock (I should have saved one of the many, many rocks over which I have fallen...all would make for great stories as I'm not a graceful dirt eater...but before I think to embarrassment kicks in and forces me to walk very, very quickly away:D). I wish I had a retirement countdown poster too...but I'd have to kill a whole lot of trees to make one really, really long poster :(.

DAKS
02-29-2008, 09:27
today is my final day of work with my current employer. like gray blazer said, most of my posts were done while on the clock. i'm not proud of this or bragging, but WB did get me through the past 8 months of boredom! i'm going to a new job where i will actually be busy and working!!!!:o i'm sure gonna' miss all y'alls!!!:(

Nearly Normal
02-29-2008, 20:44
They just opened a new brew pub in my town. I really like one of the brews they make and go there a good bit. Right next door is a new outfitter that opened about the same time. It could be worse if guess if they had connecting doors.

envirodiver
02-29-2008, 21:15
Our school was built atop a leveled knoll. From the school I can see the radar dome at Apple Orchard Mt. The AT passes on the high ridge east of the school at Robinson Gap. I can be at Punchbowl shelter in 10 minutes by car. I can see the Three Sisters overseeing the Maury River to the southeast. ALL DAY LONG I am reminded how much I wish I could retire now. Sometimes I force myself to stay inside so as to tame my Zehnsucht (best translation 'yearning').

Frau

Big Brothers and The Holding Company? Man I loved Janis Joplin when she played with those guys. Too bad they decided to take up w/ the man.

warraghiyagey
02-29-2008, 21:29
Big Brothers and The Holding Company? Man I loved Janis Joplin when she played with those guys..
I'll bet they did too! ;)

envirodiver
02-29-2008, 21:42
I'll bet they did too! ;)

Perhaps...man that Lady could sure belt it out.

warraghiyagey
02-29-2008, 21:45
Perhaps...man that Lady could sure belt it out.
Mistress Joplin??

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/hiding.gif

envirodiver
02-29-2008, 21:49
I could see that. However, I think she may have imbibed a bit too much to determine the appropriate receptor for her affection uh.. anger... uh intoxication.

warraghiyagey
02-29-2008, 21:49
I actually saw some video of (I believe) Joss Stone doing a Janice tribute at one of her concerts and introduced Melissa (Etheridge) in the middle of 'Piece of My Heart'. Intense enough anyway, but it was Melissa's first stage appearance after her chemo - she was completely bald.
Yeah, she did what she does. She nailed every note.
Yeah, I wept a little.

envirodiver
02-29-2008, 21:51
Where's the video? I would love to see that. I listen to Janice on a regular basis. Love her work.

warraghiyagey
02-29-2008, 21:56
Where's the video? I would love to see that. I listen to Janice on a regular basis. Love her work.
Oooh, good question, I'll have to look it up, I just watched it again a couple weeks ago.
One moment please . . . . .

warraghiyagey
02-29-2008, 21:59
OK, I'm getting close, it was the 2005 Grammy Awards show - knocked the hell out of the audience.
One moment please . . .

warraghiyagey
02-29-2008, 22:00
And here it is, introduced by Kris Kristofferson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_j3TDhc8vY

Starts with Joss doing Cry, Cry, Baby and then goes to the duet.

warraghiyagey
02-29-2008, 22:01
After you've watched it let me know how it hit's you.:sun

Frau
03-01-2008, 22:23
Glad I mentioned Big Brother :) .

I listen to CDs I create MOST of which are oldies, to the exclusion of what I consdie newbies. Janis is among. Have been particularly enjoying Kashmir this week.

Frau

Frau
03-01-2008, 22:26
'consider'...

F

STEVEM
03-01-2008, 22:40
For about five years I worked in Stroudsburg, Pa. Every morning, on my way to work, starting midsummer, I'd see hikers having their breakfast in front of Worthington Bakery at Culver Gap. Most nights, on my way home, I'd see a hiker crossing into NJ on the DWG Bridge. Lots of daydreaming in-between.