PDA

View Full Version : Aquamira v. Polar Pur

tx.katie.finch
02-27-2008, 13:48
We're trying to decide which to use: aquamira or polar pur. I've always used polar pur in the past, but don't much care for the taste or the way it makes my bottles smell eventually. (Something about that strong smell before you even take a drink :eek:)
I've never used Aquamira and don't know anyone who has. I was wondering if any of ya'll have tried it and what your experiences were.
I know that a bunch of people boil or filter or do nothing, but for me, boiling takes too long to cool, filtering is expensive and sucks when it breaks, and I've been there, done that with the G bug and don't care to go back. :o
Thoughts? Ideas?

Footslogger
02-27-2008, 14:09
Carried/used AquaMira during my entire thru in 2003. Also a former PolarPur user. Still have some PolarPur in the cabinet but didn't like the idea of long term iodine intake. AquaMira is light, easy to use and unlike PolarPur, does not need to be "refilled" in order to be used on a continuous basis. Of cource, AquaMira does have to be mixed (part A/Part B) but that in the end was easier for me to remember than refilling the PolarPur.

'Slogger

Survivor Dave
02-27-2008, 14:13
It is very effective in my opinion. I started with a pump filter and it crapped out. It also clogs and the replacements are expensive.
I don't like the taste of Iodine, Yuck!

As far as cost for a Thru, however, it's about the same as a pump filter pretty much. About 5 purchases or so.

mudhead
02-27-2008, 14:16
Make sure you try it.

If you are on city water, one thing.

Well water, well, kind of like swimming pool.

peakbagger
02-27-2008, 14:24
AQ works well but is expensive per ounce treated. Polar Pure is not rated for crypto which could be an issue in the mid atlantic areas that are rural agricutural. (note AQ is rated for crypto but requires long contact time). AQ doesnt have a taste unless there are a lot of organics in the water, then it has a bit of a chlorine smell. No known long term use issues (its used in public water suppliers)

The local outfitter (just south of the Mahoosucs) sells a lot of AQ to thruhikers and not much else.

Pony
02-27-2008, 14:28
I started a thread in straight forward a while back titled Polar Pure vs. Aqua Mira. Some nice folks gave me some good information. If you search this thread you may find it useful.

Survivor Dave
02-27-2008, 14:29
AquaMira kill everything, including Cryptosporidium in 15 minutes. 30 minutes when it's below 32 degrees. At least that's what the package says.

AQ works well but is expensive per ounce treated. Polar Pure is not rated for crypto which could be an issue in the mid atlantic areas that are rural agricutural. (note AQ is rated for crypto but requires long contact time). AQ doesnt have a taste unless there are a lot of organics in the water, then it has a bit of a chlorine smell. No known long term use issues (its used in public water suppliers)

The local outfitter (just south of the Mahoosucs) sells a lot of AQ to thruhikers and not much else.

Footslogger
02-27-2008, 14:38
Another thing to consider, if you opt to try the AquaMira (Chlorine Dioxide), is the same formulation in tablet form. Not practical for during the day use but great for treating a larger supply of water you gather in your campsite for dinner and the next day.

The tablets require longer dwell time to kill all the micro-orgasms (mispelling intended :D) and therefore they are great for overnight use. Here is a link:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/kaytadyn_micropur_mp1_purifier_tablets.html

I carry them now and treat anywhere from 2 - 4 liters while I am sleeping.

'Slogger

Blissful
02-27-2008, 14:40
We used liquid Aqua Mira exclusively on our hike but it got somewhat expensive (there were two of us). And not all outfitters charge the same either on the trail (The guy at Daleville was expensive). But we had no problems with it.

Lyle
02-27-2008, 14:51
I use Aqua Mira. Has very little, if any, taste. Used Iodine tablets for years, this is a major improvement. It is more expensive, but not unreasonably so in my opinion.

Pootz
02-27-2008, 15:01
I used Aqua Mira during my 07 thru-hike and loved it. I only had a problem once when a water supply was so muddy that I had to get someone to filter a couple litres for me, this happened at Rice Field Shelter just north of Pearisburg. It had rained very hard that day, normally the water supply would have been ok in spit of the .4 mile trek to get it. The link below gives you a great Dosing Strategy for use with Aqua Mira. I used it the whole way and never had a problem and my Aqua Mira treated a lot more.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/klearwater_xinix_chlorine_dioxide_clo2_water_treat ment.html

minnesotasmith
02-28-2008, 13:31
Another thing to consider, if you opt to try the AquaMira (Chlorine Dioxide), is the same formulation in tablet form. Not practical for during the day use but great for treating a larger supply of water you gather in your campsite for dinner and the next day.

The tablets require longer dwell time to kill all the micro-orgasms (mispelling intended :D) and therefore they are great for overnight use. Here is a link:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/kaytadyn_micropur_mp1_purifier_tablets.html

I carry them now and treat anywhere from 2 - 4 liters while I am sleeping.

'Slogger

They cost over twice as much per volume of water treated as liquid AquaMira. Bring some along if you want a backup, but don't rely primarily on them during a long, already expensive enough thruhike.

BTW, I used AM all during my thruhike. I recommend it highly. Do prefilter your water before treatment unless you like crunching down on bugs, silt, leaves, etc. I used coffee filters, but even a bandanna would be better than nothing.

tx.katie.finch
02-28-2008, 19:36
I genereally stick a bandanna over the waterbottle as I fill it; keeps most of the krispies out. (I also try not to look too closely once I've determined that the water's mostly clear.)

Wise Old Owl
02-28-2008, 23:57
Just to keep the thread going.

After using several bottles of Iodine I discovered it was making me sick & dehydrated. Aqua Mira need to be in room temp to be effective in cold water I have read warnings of "wait 4 hours" So now I pump it all though a pro filter. What do you think?

rpettit
02-29-2008, 08:56
Cryptosporidium is highly resistant to iodine and chlorine dioxide. Filter.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/cryptosporidiosis/factsht_cryptosporidiosis.htm

rpettit
02-29-2008, 08:58
Giardia info.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/giardiasis/factsht_giardia.htm

highway
02-29-2008, 09:10
I know that a bunch of people boil or filter or do nothing, but for me, boiling takes too long to cool, filtering is expensive and sucks when it breaks, and I've been there, done that with the G bug and don't care to go back. :o
Thoughts? Ideas?

The bad news is that, unless tested specifically to determine exactly what you had, you likely did not have Giardia lamblia.

The good news is, if in fact you did contract it, you likely have built up an immunity to further occurrences of the little beasts and therefore now need to do neither of the aforementioned.

I do nothing but drink-but i am selective where.

Wise Old Owl
02-29-2008, 12:06
The bad news is that, unless tested specifically to determine exactly what you had, you likely did not have Giardia lamblia.

The good news is, if in fact you did contract it, you likely have built up an immunity to further occurrences of the little beasts and therefore now need to do neither of the aforementioned.

I do nothing but drink-but i am selective where.

Ohh wait - Sulferous exccessive uncontrolable beltching and Explosive diarrea that blow the shorts off a hiker - Who needs to get tested? They won't do that again!:D

Dholmblad
02-29-2008, 20:33
I liked how polar pur tasted, but aquamira is far superior in my opinion.