PDA

View Full Version : Section hike for Dad and me...

tlbj6142
02-27-2008, 15:01
My father and I are thinking about a 4-5 day section hike this spring (probably in May or June). Something in the 50-70 mile range with at least one end of the section being a "town with services" (shuttles, etc.). Hot Springs? Erwin? Damascus? Pearsiburg?

Coming from Ohio, a section between the NE end of the Smokies and mid-VA would be great (half-day's drive in each direction). After taking a shuttle out, we'd hike back to our car (NoBo or SoBo, whichever is easier for logistics).

Any suggestions?

I hiked Fox Creek back to Damascus (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1893) a few years ago. I'd consider it again, if no other suggestion proves better. That was a good hike and I know my father would enjoy it. Also, my father hiked with my brother thru SNP (most if it) during his '04 thru-hike.

Kerosene
02-27-2008, 16:30
How about Catawba north to the James River (Glasgow, VA). That's easy to get to from Ohio; it's a lovely section of trail (McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Blue Ridge Parkway, James River Gorge); and it totals about 75 miles with a few bail-out points. Shuttlers are readily available around Roanoke.

joec
02-27-2008, 16:58
I did Watuga Dam to Damascus last summer and it was great. It is mostly a ridgeline hike and has good breezes and views. Get Mt Rogers Outfitters to shuttle you out, for 50 miles you would have to furthur out than Watuga Dam as my hike was approx 36 miles.

tlbj6142
02-28-2008, 09:42
How about Catawba north to the James River (Glasgow, VA). That's easy to get to from Ohio; it's a lovely section of trail (McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Blue Ridge Parkway, James River Gorge); and it totals about 75 miles with a few bail-out points. Shuttlers are readily available around Roanoke.Thanks. I just might do this one, as I already have the guidebooks and maps for this section (though they might be a bit old), which means I can overload myself with information about rock formations before I leave. :D

If I decide to make a shorter trip, which end of the ~75 miles should I focus on? The James River end or the Catawba end?

Thoughtful Owl
02-28-2008, 10:02
Thanks. I just might do this one, as I already have the guidebooks and maps for this section (though they might be a bit old), which means I can overload myself with information about rock formations before I leave. :D

If I decide to make a shorter trip, which end of the ~75 miles should I focus on? The James River end or the Catawba end?

Most definately the Catawba end for the scenic beauty. And I live much closer to the James River end...go figure.

tlbj6142
02-28-2008, 11:18
While reading a bit last night, I saw there are camping restrictions in this area due to overuse. Is it really that overused? More so than other parts of the trail like the Smokies? SNP?

It also appears to be rather close to I81, is the traffic noise isn't much of an issue? I live just a few hundred yards from an interstate, one of the reasons I enjoy hiking is the near silence (though not bringing the kids along helps with that as well).

Thoughtful Owl
02-28-2008, 11:37
I know of no camping restrictions on the trail in the Catawba to James River section of the AT. As far as I-81 is concerned the narrow A.T. corridor runs below the I-81 shoulder for more than a mile on the western side between U.S. 220 (also a four-lane) and Va. 779 to the north, where hikers pass under the interstate and head up to Black Horse Gap and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

tlbj6142
02-28-2008, 11:50
I know of no camping restrictions on the trail in the Catawba to James River section of the AT. From the companion (the same quote appears in the VA guide)...

Camping Restrictions—Between Va. 624 and U.S. 220, camping
and fires are allowed only at the following designated sites of
this heavily used section: Johns Spring, Catawba Mountain,
Campbell, and Lamberts Meadow shelters and Pig Farm and
Lamberts Meadow campsites.

Thoughtful Owl
02-28-2008, 12:05
I usually camp in the Lamberts Meadow campsite if I stay over in that area and didn't really think about that. Once you leave that area, there should be no restrictions.

tlbj6142
03-17-2008, 13:19
Talked with my father over the weekend. Our schedules don't quite line up all that well. Either we hike in early April (2nd weekend), or we may have to wait until late June. If we decided to go in Mid-April (10th-14th), I'd like to aim for something a bit more father south than Catawba, VA.

Any 40-70 mile section between Northern edge of the Smokies and Damascus worth doing?

DiamondDoug
03-17-2008, 13:30
The balds of the Carolinas. Get Miss Janet to shuttle you out of Erwin, an go from Sam's Gap to 19E. You can have a town day in Erwin in the middle. Lots of beatiful hiking in there.

tlbj6142
03-17-2008, 13:52
The balds of the Carolinas. Get Miss Janet to shuttle you out of Erwin, an go from Sam's Gap to 19E. You can have a town day in Erwin in the middle. Lots of beatiful hiking in there.That looks like a nice choice, ~61miles. WRT logistics, what do you recommend we'd hike it either SoBo or NoBo? Erwin is in the middle of that section, where would we leave our car?

DiamondDoug
03-17-2008, 14:01
Park in Erwin and let Miss Janet shuttle you. Do NOT leave a car at 19E. I'd go NOBO. Have fun!

tlbj6142
03-17-2008, 14:06
Park in Erwin and let Miss Janet shuttle you. Do NOT leave a car at 19E. I'd go NOBO. Have fun!Let me make sure I understand your suggestion...

Arrive at Miss Janet's, leave car.
Shuttle us south to Sam's Gap
We hike NoBo to US19
Wait for Miss Janet at US19 (pre-arranged date/time/location)
Arrive back in Erwin
Drive homeLooking at the Companion, I wonder if the folks (Mary and Terry) at Mountain Harbour B&B (http://www.mountainharbour.net) might help?? They are right on US19 just a bit off the trail.

DiamondDoug
03-17-2008, 14:14
You got it. Add "Spend night at Miss Janet's hostel during hike" and you're golden.

Don't know Mary and Terry. Do know Miss Janet. Wonderful human being. Loves hikers. She's your best bet.

peanuts
03-18-2008, 10:22
diamonddoug, apparently you have not heard the news.....mis janets no longer has a hostel. she may do shuttles, but no hostel.

tlbj6142
03-18-2008, 10:27
diamonddoug, apparently you have not heard the news.....mis janets no longer has a hostel. she may do shuttles, but no hostel.Not to hijack my own thread, but why? I haven't been following WB for sometime so I've been out of the loop. This would explain why her website is no longer up and running.

sherrill
03-18-2008, 11:37
Use the search feature for "Miss Janet" and you'll see the threads.