PDA

View Full Version : dehydraded water

Chicken Feathers
02-27-2008, 15:36
I heard that MSR is coming out with dehydraded water Does anyone know anything about this wonderful invention:banana

warraghiyagey
02-27-2008, 15:36
Yup. lot's of hikers are using it. Just add water.:rolleyes:

take-a-knee
02-27-2008, 15:40
I heard that MSR is coming out with dehydraded water Does anyone know anything about this wonderful invention:banana

You have too much free time Don.:)

I left your old tarptent set up in my backyard for the last couple of days, that thing is pretty tough, since it is still standing! I have a lot more confidence in that design than I thought I would. I've spent a couple of nights in it.

Footslogger
02-27-2008, 15:45
============================

Heard of powdered beer ...but haven't run across any powdered water yet :-?

'Slogger

JERMM
02-27-2008, 17:14

I heard it tastes just like the real stuff

hobojoe
02-27-2008, 17:19
I spent 3 months before my 2004 hike dehydrating all my water for the trail saves time and money!!!!

The Weasel
02-27-2008, 17:27

Shortly before I made my thru attempt, Scouts of my troop held a small party for me. Joe Pawelek, one of my Eagles, gave me a full can of it (about the size of a coffee can) and I marveled then at how light it was. I still have most of it. Just get ahold of Joe. I'm sure he has a lot more.

TW

hobojoe
02-27-2008, 17:35
I also dehydrated my back pack and shaved off 2 pounds! I also dehydrated myself......just add beer and coffee and smoking.

taildragger
02-27-2008, 17:52
I spent 3 months before my 2004 hike dehydrating all my water for the trail saves time and money!!!!

I really do get annoyed when I have to find water to hydrate my powdered water. Nothing worse than knowing that I have all of this water to drink if I could only find a little bit of water to rehydrate it with.:mad:

hobojoe
02-27-2008, 18:03
I really do get annoyed when I have to find water to hydrate my powdered water. Nothing worse than knowing that I have all of this water to drink if I could only find a little bit of water to rehydrate it with.:mad:
But since you dehydrated clean water you wont have to filter.

taildragger
02-27-2008, 18:31
But since you dehydrated clean water you wont have to filter.

Sometimes I dehydrate my water on the trail before a long dry section, consequently its not filtered. Then again, I'm trying this no filter thing, I figure it will either save me money or it'll have the same result as an enema (maybe I can sell crypto to people who want to "cleanse" their system :-?)

Midway Sam
02-27-2008, 18:32
Dehydrated water has been around for years. MSR didn't "invent" anything...

http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/

doggiebag
02-27-2008, 18:35
If you eat the dehydrated water just before you go to bed - it'll prevent you from having to get up at night to pee. Try it.

weary
02-27-2008, 18:44
Yup. lot's of hikers are using it. Just add water.:rolleyes:
Yes. But you have to be careful how you dehydrate it. Some just freeze the water and throw away the ice. But to kill the germs and stuff, the water has to be boiled away.

Weary

Footslogger
02-27-2008, 18:46
Just think how much dehydrated water you could carry at one time ...

Imagine stocking up at Springer and still having a liter or two left when you got to Kathadin :rolleyes:

'Slogger

hobojoe
02-27-2008, 18:47
Just think how much dehydrated water you could carry at one time ...

You could cary all of it.

doggiebag
02-27-2008, 18:50
It's not a lot of fun to put in water balloons - you get arrested after someone get's a concussion after getting brained - and all you wanted to do was have fun. :mad:

doggiebag
02-27-2008, 18:52
Not a lot of fun to use at wet-t shirt contests either! You just feel ripped off.

sheepdog
02-27-2008, 19:59
I forgot to put my dehydrated water in a water proof container. I got caught in a sudden rain squall just south of Charlies Bunyan. When the rain water hit my dehydrated water it caused a serious flash flood. It was a wonder no one was injured.

taildragger
02-27-2008, 20:04
Not a lot of fun to use at wet-t shirt contests either! You just feel ripped off.

I beg to differ, its fun when someone barely grazes them with a squirt gun, then voila, instant entertainment.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
02-27-2008, 20:06

And I'm getting ready to package dehydrated thru hikes for anyone who is interested. Cost will be fairly inexpensive, as long as you pay with a cashier's check or supply me with all your credit card numbers!!!
By the way, I have a major bridge from New Jersey into Manhattan as well as a toll road for sale to the highest (cash) bidder. Both sales will be held next Saturday near the I-80 bridge at the Delaware Water Gap!

doggiebag
02-27-2008, 20:08
And I'm getting ready to package dehydrated thru hikes for anyone who is interested. Cost will be fairly inexpensive, as long as you pay with a cashier's check or supply me with all your credit card numbers!!!
By the way, I have a major bridge from New Jersey into Manhattan as well as a toll road for sale to the highest (cash) bidder. Both sales will be held next Saturday near the I-80 bridge at the Delaware Water Gap!
Let me guess ... bring cash and show up alone right?

Grumpy Ol' Pops
02-28-2008, 11:47
Let me guess ... bring cash and show up alone right?
Yes, and then wait in your car while I just run into the nearby building to get the stuff you want!

wrongway_08
02-28-2008, 14:02
Yes, and then wait in your car while I just run into the nearby building to get the stuff you want!

Not falling for that again :eek:...... wheres my $3,000.00 fool? :D

doggiebag
02-28-2008, 14:06
Tsk tsk tsk ... I warned you about this scam before Wrongway. I've got a better deal for you. There's a couple of Nigerians that need access to their loot - looks legitimate enough. They just need a bank account to deposit all this money ... interested?

Tipi Walter
02-28-2008, 14:31
I had summit fever last month on a backpacking trip and climbed to over 5,300 feet onto an open bald in the Cherokee National Forest. In some sort of altitude delirium I pulled out my packet of dehydrated water and ate it straight from the bag, several tablespoons full.

Like in that movie THE TARANTULA THAT ATTACKED TEXAS, I started shrinking up, my face puckered inward and got all prunelike(I hear Tommy Lee Jones lives on the stuff). I passed out trying to pass a huge kidney stone made of dehydrated water crystals. Not fun.

Being a relative newb to this product, I read the directions and found out later that my own URINE must be added to reconstitute and not spring or creek water. When one liter of urine is added, the dehydrate expands into 10 refreshing liters of pure mountain pee, sold in stores as Comstock Bladder Efflugent or as Blue Mountain Stool-Aid. Highly recommended.

DavidNH
02-28-2008, 14:35
This has to be the most hillarious thread I have ever read on whiteblaze.

Man..plenty of water to drink..if only there was some water to hydrate it with!

Thanks so much..I got a good laugh out of this!!

DavidNH

twentybelow
02-28-2008, 15:00
the best device i've found for re-hydrating all naturally dehydrated water:

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html#water

;)

doggiebag
02-28-2008, 15:13
Dehydrated Water is all good and effective for all the following uses: weight reduction, incontinence, wet T-shirt functions and the possible use as a close range defensive weapon when poured into a sock.
A more useful product currently being developed is the Dehydrated Personality (DP) and it's variant product the Dehydrated Dignity (double-D's). For the average weekender the DP is of more use since they really haven't been out long enough to slough off their dependence in the security of society. The thru-hiking/long distance hiking crowd could mostly benefit from the Dehydrated Dignity - by ensuring they walk into town with their heads high and not looking like they need to get to the closest soup line. It also prevents the hiker from losing all manners of pride by limping down the road faking an injury for higher hitching potentials. Please note that like a rechargeable battery ... the dehydrated diginity product only works if the hiker has a miniscule amount of dignity left.

taildragger
02-28-2008, 15:51
Dehydrated Water is all good and effective for all the following uses: weight reduction, incontinence, wet T-shirt functions and the possible use as a close range defensive weapon when poured into a sock.
A more useful product currently being developed is the Dehydrated Personality (DP) and it's variant product the Dehydrated Dignity (double-D's). For the average weekender the DP is of more use since they really haven't been out long enough to slough off their dependence in the security of society. The thru-hiking/long distance hiking crowd could mostly benefit from the Dehydrated Dignity - by ensuring they walk into town with their heads high and not looking like they need to get to the closest soup line. It also prevents the hiker from losing all manners of pride by limping down the road faking an injury for higher hitching potentials. Please note that like a rechargeable battery ... the dehydrated diginity product only works if the hiker has a miniscule amount of dignity left.

I agree, there needs to be more DD's out there in the hiker community, I'd prefer to see them hydrated though :D

swellbill
02-28-2008, 16:29
It seems to rain A LOT when I go hiking. I’ve even been known to break severe droughts. My question is: What happens if my dehydrated water gets wet from the rain? Will my pack get all wet? Any advice will be most appreciated

Thanks

Chicken Feathers
02-28-2008, 22:50
It seems to rain A LOT when I go hiking. I’ve even been known to break severe droughts. My question is: What happens if my dehydrated water gets wet from the rain? Will my pack get all wet? Any advice will be most appreciated

Thanks
It is best to put your dehydraded water in a double zipped ziplock and also make sure no holes are in the bag. If dehydraded water get wet it could ruin everything in your pack it produces about 15 times the amount of water you have dehydraded.:banana:banana:banana:banana

Chicken Feathers
02-28-2008, 23:03
I will be there who is in charge of this auction? Hope they accept dehydraded cash. Much easier to pack :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Chicken Feathers
02-28-2008, 23:07
I forgot to put my dehydrated water in a water proof container. I got caught in a sudden rain squall just south of Charlies Bunyan. When the rain water hit my dehydrated water it caused a serious flash flood. It was a wonder no one was injured.
Sorry I did not warn you. But look at it this way the next time you dehydrate water and go hiking you will remember to put it in a double ziplock baggis:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Chicken Feathers
02-28-2008, 23:11
It's not a lot of fun to put in water balloons - you get arrested after someone get's a concussion after getting brained - and all you wanted to do was have fun. :mad:

If it turns out solid and hard you did not dehydrate it long enough Next time let it cook for about 1 hour longer. Then it will be so fine you can hardly see it:banana:banana:banana

sheepdog
02-29-2008, 09:59
One should take reasonable precautions to keep your dehydrated water from freezing. I had that happen once and when I added water it turned to ice and wrecked my camelback.

Tipi Walter
02-29-2008, 11:43
I found another product that is a must-have for the serious backpacker. Many times when out backpacking the Tent Police will be up ahead or following close behind to write out tickets and harrass us. But I found a lightweight product that will work against the henpecking Tent Police.

It's called Instant Lawyer, and is a pouch of dehydrated attorney that when reconstituted will stall the Tent Police long enough for you to get away. All you do is add money and the Instant Lawyer comes to life, instantly speaking gibberish latin and handing out forms to sign.

I always take several crisp 50 dollar bills as anything less I found won't work as well.

doggiebag
02-29-2008, 11:50
I found another product that is a must-have for the serious backpacker. Many times when out backpacking the Tent Police will be up ahead or following close behind to write out tickets and harrass us. But I found a lightweight product that will work against the henpecking Tent Police.

It's called Instant Lawyer, and is a pouch of dehydrated attorney that when reconstituted will stall the Tent Police long enough for you to get away. All you do is add money and the Instant Lawyer comes to life, instantly speaking gibberish latin and handing out forms to sign.

I always take several crisp 50 dollar bills as anything less I found won't work as well.

The instant Lawyer product needs to be mixed with the Dehydrated Dignity product (Double-Dees)from my previous post - though mixing Instant Lawyer with the Double-Dees could have unpredictable results. :eek:

Pennsylvania Rose
02-29-2008, 11:51
How well does dehydrated water work for freezer bag cooking?

Tipi Walter
02-29-2008, 11:58
The instant Lawyer product needs to be mixed with the Dehydrated Dignity product (Double-Dees)from my previous post - though mixing Instant Lawyer with the Double-Dees could have unpredictable results. :eek:

It's funny you should mention Dehydrated Dignity as this product got me first introduced to Instant Lawyer. I once tried to mix the two, D.Dignity with I.Lawyer, and had a terrible reaction, basically a fireball which blew away my goatee and eyebrows. They are NOT MEANT to be mixed together!

taildragger
02-29-2008, 13:08
It's funny you should mention Dehydrated Dignity as this product got me first introduced to Instant Lawyer. I once tried to mix the two, D.Dignity with I.Lawyer, and had a terrible reaction, basically a fireball which blew away my goatee and eyebrows. They are NOT MEANT to be mixed together!

I thought something else other than fire might come out, like maybe the travelocity gnome, still has his dignity, and is equally annoying, instead of forms, he throws pop up windows at you. Whatever you do, don't click them. I did once on accident and BOOM, instant giardia

Grumpy Ol' Pops
03-01-2008, 01:42

Instant, dehydrated lawyer must be handled carefully, as it can also be substituted for firestarter blocks when you encounter wet firewood around the fire ring. Do not touch it or handle it without some type of hand covering, as it is extremely caustic and flammable, especially around those fifty dollar bills!

Montego
03-01-2008, 02:36
I wonder if the DL, DD, and DW comes with a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) :D

kayak karl
03-01-2008, 04:19
To make water you need to know its chemical makeup and then do lots of testing.
Water is composed of two gins, Oxygin and Hydrogin. Oxygin is pure gin. Hydrogin is gin and water.

Heater
03-01-2008, 04:41
I think the consensus is that lawyers suck? :-?

Boudin
03-01-2008, 09:00
Just remember, all dehydrated things make you fart.

Tipi Walter
03-01-2008, 09:19
Instant, dehydrated lawyer must be handled carefully, as it can also be substituted for firestarter blocks when you encounter wet firewood around the fire ring. Do not touch it or handle it without some type of hand covering, as it is extremely caustic and flammable, especially around those fifty dollar bills!

Tell me about it! On my last trip I kept a small pouch of Instant Lawyer wrapped in a non-wallet type ziploc and placed it at the foot of my tent at the end of my thermarest. I made sure my crisp $50 bills were not anywhere near and put them in a zippered bag near my head.

Well, sometime in the night the bag of Instant Lawyer managed to move up to my head and had me in a strangle-hold with the bag's drawcords tightly around my neck. I guess it was trying to get to the money.

From now on, both must be kept separate and so I bear-bag the cash and keep it tied up high off a tree limb. Will the Instant Lawyer try to gnaw a hole out of the tent to get outside?? Anybody else have this experience? I'm a relative newb to the product.

horicon
03-01-2008, 09:21
It it what we call snow??

Chicken Feathers
03-01-2008, 22:39
Please don't let this important thread die. I need some more feed back:-?

Chicken Feathers
03-01-2008, 22:44
I wonder if the DL, DD, and DW comes with a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) :D
I am guessing you are military and if so you need an MSDS:banana

Chicken Feathers
03-01-2008, 22:48
One should take reasonable precautions to keep your dehydrated water from freezing. I had that happen once and when I added water it turned to ice and wrecked my camelback.
This terrible thing need to be reported to MSR,could wreck someones hiking trip. What a terrible waste.:banana

Wise Old Owl
03-01-2008, 22:51
If you eat the dehydrated water just before you go to bed - it'll prevent you from having to get up at night to pee. Try it.

Yea I have tried it - Damn near scared the neighbors in a nearby tent. You have to build up to that stuff, just don't do it all at once like I did. The first explosive fart blew out the feathers of my bag and popped a additional hole in my Noah Tarp cus I sleep on my belly. When I awoke for the noise a cloud of feathers trapped under the tarp started to drift down on me and at first I thought snow. . . .Oh NO. besides the horrible belly ache my Ashcrak was dino purple the rest of the night from the chill. I could have got frostbite on my tookus but I was tooting methane the rest of the night.

Chicken Feathers
03-01-2008, 22:53

Thanks
You don't want let dehydraded water get wet. Please read the post about someone getting caught in a rain storm:banana.
If you cause it to rain when you go hiking please come to Georgia :D

Chicken Feathers
03-01-2008, 23:05
This has to be the most hillarious thread I have ever read on whiteblaze.

Man..plenty of water to drink..if only there was some water to hydrate it with!

Thanks so much..I got a good laugh out of this!!

DavidNH
David this is a serious matter we need to shave off those pounds and also if you hike thru Georgia it would be real nice to know you don't have to worry where the next watering hole is:banana You could just go down the trail singing the Happy Song when you pass all those that don't know about dehydraded water.:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana I think this thread deserves 5 bananas. Whats your thought?

Chicken Feathers
03-01-2008, 23:11
Tsk tsk tsk ... I warned you about this scam before Wrongway. I've got a better deal for you. There's a couple of Nigerians that need access to their loot - looks legitimate enough. They just need a bank account to deposit all this money ... interested? Doggiebag please tell the Nigerians about dehydraded water they can sprinkle several spoons full over the money and it will dehydrate and they can put all their money in their pockets no need to give it away:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana can dehydrate 1,000,000= 100

mkmangold
03-01-2008, 23:13
Since I'm in the medical profession, I use dehydrated water for several purposes. I use it liberally to irrigate intact skin, thereby preventing infection. Avoid breathing it directly though so you don't catch "the vapors." Mixed with saliva it makes a great impromptu lubricant. Of course, this country being what it is, I have to make the following disclaimer: do not try these at home; if you use dehydrated water for medical reasons, please contact your health care provider first; never give to underage children; and dispose of excess appropriately.

Chicken Feathers
03-01-2008, 23:14
The Nigerians will pay you they just need you banking account number and the routing number. Hope you get it before they find about dehydraded water powder:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Chicken Feathers
03-01-2008, 23:21
Dehydrated water has been around for years. MSR didn't "invent" anything...

http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/
this is a new kind 50 gallons can be dehydraded to 1 ziplock baggie. The old kind was not that compact.:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Wise Old Owl
03-01-2008, 23:21
On the last thru hike I snuck over to my neighbors and borrowed their lawn ornament for laughs, As I tripped up the trail I would pull out my little stoned freind and take pictures of him in various states and send the pictures with ransom notes back to my neighbors address. Everything was going well till I got to Damascus. That night night my "little stoned freind" decided to mix Pop Rocks with Dehydrated Water, the popcorn noise caught the attention of the local fuzz, and the gig was up.. I kept yellin at the officer- (over the pop rock mix) "it wasn't me" "It wasn't me" and my little stoned freind just stood there and smiled.

I got arrested for serving an underage knome fizzy drinks and gnomenapping. He got home to his folks and became famous in Advertizing.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/figure-backpacker.gif

Kidnapping gnomes in Georgia is now a serious offense as I was the first one. Today if you are caught serving gnomes or trolling for gnomes and you get arrested, after the twelve step process and doing your time. Yes, have to register as a gnome napper and give out your internet address.

Chicken Feathers
03-01-2008, 23:28
Shortly before I made my thru attempt, Scouts of my troop held a small party for me. Joe Pawelek, one of my Eagles, gave me a full can of it (about the size of a coffee can) and I marveled then at how light it was. I still have most of it. Just get ahold of Joe. I'm sure he has a lot more.

TW

Weasel can you post Joe Pawelek email I am sure a plenty of hiker would like to get in touch with him.:banana:banana:banana:banana:bananaor maybe not

Chicken Feathers
03-01-2008, 23:31
HoBoJoe will you contact MSR and explanie you experience with dehydraded water I am sure they would love hearing from you. They migh want you to go on a speaking tour and tell your story.:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Grumpy Ol' Pops
03-02-2008, 02:12
I could have got frostbite on my tookus but I was tooting methane the rest of the night.

Just keep a candle lantern burning all night under the tarp above you and you'll have a "Blue Flame" heating system to keep yourself warm!

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2008, 23:21
Just keep a candle lantern burning all night under the tarp above you and you'll have a "Blue Flame" heating system to keep yourself warm!

Oh Pop's, I don't care where you are from that's funny thar...:D

taildragger
03-03-2008, 23:33
Oh Pop's, I don't care where you are from that's funny thar...:D

Don't let the EPA know that you're venting gas, the proper way is to flare it if you must.

I also hear that the dehydrated water fart flares are often good for cooking (weigh less than other fuels) and can be used to keep mosquitoes at bay.

taildragger
03-03-2008, 23:35
From now on, both must be kept separate and so I bear-bag the cash and keep it tied up high off a tree limb. Will the Instant Lawyer try to gnaw a hole out of the tent to get outside?? Anybody else have this experience? I'm a relative newb to the product.

I think that the SLIC (Sierra Lawyer Integrity Commission) recommends that you use an approved Lawyer can to keep your $50 bills safe. Unfortunately the Ursack style is no longer approved as some lawyers have learned to swindle the knots into untying themselves. Best just get a good can instead.

River Runner
03-04-2008, 01:57
I tried some of that dehydrated water without reconstituting. Boy was that a mistake! I like to never got my tongue rehydrated.

There might be a market for dieters though - shrunk my stomach so small I thought I'd had it stapled.

Chicken Feathers
03-05-2008, 13:52
come on guys this thread was doing pretty good but now it is dying. I need more responses please. Help make this scientific break through a reallity:banana

Chicken Feathers
03-05-2008, 15:04
I tried some of that dehydrated water without reconstituting. Boy was that a mistake! I like to never got my tongue rehydrated.

There might be a market for dieters though - shrunk my stomach so small I thought I'd had it stapled.
Boy I am sorry to hear that but you should have tried hydraded tongue it comes in powder form.:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

No Belay
03-05-2008, 16:32
come on guys this thread was doing pretty good but now it is dying. I need more responses please. Help make this scientific break through a reallity:banana

Let it die ! Besides any educated trekker knows dehydrated H20 is old school. The newer freeze dried AquaRock is the newest cutting edge product and it exhibits none of the flatulation syndrome symptoms described in the previous post. It's 1/2 the weight of dehydrated water, reconstitutes to it's original texture and still contains all the fiber, protein, and vitamins found in the source water. It boils at 212* and yet it amazingly is still freezable at 32* or less. The reconstitution is almost immeadiate as compared to the 23 second wait of dehydrated water. My friend, Jon Mic Kane, discovered that if you sprinkle about a 1/4 cup of it on your fire before retireing, that all you have to do is then wizz on it. That not only puts the fire out and but also disperses the party and you sleep allot sounder. Yep, freeze dried is the only way to go.:-?

fivel
03-05-2008, 16:59
Ok I know I'm an idiot but is this for real?
http://buydehydratedwater.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1
I mean yeah, haha its pretty funny, dehydrated water - but this website makes it seem like its a real thing! Is it or isn't it?

Mzee
03-06-2008, 15:19
Wow! This has solved a big problem for me. Whenever I fly commercial and have to go through security checkpoints, I always have to empty my water bottle. I usually just chug it right down. Then I have to go pee right when they start boarding the aircraft. I've missed so many flights because of this. But now, I'll just fill my water bottle with dehydrated water. I'll sail right through security and never miss a flight again! Awesome!

Jarhead16
03-07-2008, 03:37
Wow! This has solved a big problem for me. Whenever I fly commercial and have to go through security checkpoints, I always have to empty my water bottle. I usually just chug it right down. Then I have to go pee right when they start boarding the aircraft. I've missed so many flights because of this. But now, I'll just fill my water bottle with dehydrated water. I'll sail right through security and never miss a flight again! Awesome!

Until they suspect a biological agent and you have to pour out more than just water...Ever heard of a cavity search:(? I think people do that just because their angry on the inside!!! No doubt, dehydrated water is nothing to be treated lightly. It's more convenient but MUCH more demanding than regular H2O. They actually made a newer, safer formula that is stored in two separate containers, one for the Hydrogen, and the other for the Oxygen...Just like epoxy.:cool:

vonfrick
03-07-2008, 20:13
They actually made a newer, safer formula that is stored in two separate containers, one for the Hydrogen, and the other for the Oxygen...Just like epoxy.:cool:

i heard of something like that, but since oxygen is readily available, you just need to "carry" the hydrogen along in a balloon sort of device- which handily enough, provides some extra buoyancy, thereby actually lightening your pack- i think it's called the Hindenberg Hydration System ;)

Chicken Feathers
03-08-2008, 18:55
Thank I will suggest it to MSR they will have a new market to sell dehydraded water.thanks thanks thanks I would have to rate that reply with 5 bananas:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Chicken Feathers
03-08-2008, 18:59
i heard of something like that, but since oxygen is readily available, you just need to "carry" the hydrogen along in a balloon sort of device- which handily enough, provides some extra buoyancy, thereby actually lightening your pack- i think it's called the Hindenberg Hydration System ;)
Thats a great idea also. hydrogen in a balloon for bouyance that will come in handy for all the streams you have to cross plus making you pack lighter now that is an idea I like:banana:banana:banana
sorry I could only give you 3 bananas

Chicken Feathers
03-08-2008, 19:06

River Runner this site may save you from dehydraded tongue http://buydehydratedwater.com/shop/i...=index&cPath=1 (http://buydehydratedwater.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1)
:banana:banana

MoBill122
03-08-2008, 19:08
I wonder if I make up some advertizing bulletins, and package some of this dehydrated water up... how many newbee's will buy some at the Trailhead.... or maybe take some to a Meet ... lol

quasarr
03-08-2008, 19:43
I was at REI yesterday and they had a book of dehydrated water recipes. Apparently it's difficult to cook with because when re-hydrated, the boiling point is different than regular water! This is important to remember so you don't run out of fuel.

Also, never try to re-hydrate with anything that's not water! I know a hiker who tried it with beer in hopes of turning one beer into 10. Long story short, he's now blind in his left eye. :(

Cherokee Bill
03-08-2008, 19:52
:eek: Yep! Sooner or later someone had to ask :p Going to freeze-dry my whole pack and carry it in my pocket :banana

Chicken Feathers
03-09-2008, 14:19
:eek: Yep! Sooner or later someone had to ask :p Going to freeze-dry my whole pack and carry it in my pocket :banana

boy we just keep coming up with great ideas. You wil probably be able to dehydrate your pack down to a quart size baggie or maybe smaller.:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Chicken Feathers
03-09-2008, 14:25
I was at REI yesterday and they had a book of dehydrated water recipes. Apparently it's difficult to cook with because when re-hydrated, the boiling point is different than regular water! This is important to remember so you don't run out of fuel.

Also, never try to re-hydrate with anything that's not water! I know a hiker who tried it with beer in hopes of turning one beer into 10. Long story short, he's now blind in his left eye. :(
I don't know some people will try anything.It wil have Dehydraded Water right on front of the package. I must ask why did it effect just his left eye? The person this happen to is not left eye Lopez is it. :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

mkmangold
03-23-2008, 01:05
In February, my sons and I mixed dehydrated water (www.campsaver.com (http://www.campsaver.com)) with ice and got nothing! It was really weird. Do any of you more scientific folks have an explanation for this? I'm thinking it had to do with the amount of each plus the ambient temperature (7 deg F) but I'm not enough of an expert. Thanks.

notorius tic
03-23-2008, 01:29
Im dehydrated do i rehydrate with my hydroponic that dehydrates me because i got cotton mouth Damn endless cycle.give me anouther please<:

Grumpy Ol' Pops
03-23-2008, 22:29
In February, my sons and I mixed dehydrated water (www.campsaver.com (http://www.campsaver.com)) with ice and got nothing! It was really weird. Do any of you more scientific folks have an explanation for this? I'm thinking it had to do with the amount of each plus the ambient temperature (7 deg F) but I'm not enough of an expert. Thanks.

It's a physical phenomenon in thermodynamics called sublimation, when a frozen solid (like ice) turns into water vapor (like fog) without first going through the liquid phase.

GGS2
03-23-2008, 22:34
Except fog is water droplets, not vapor.

Tinker
03-23-2008, 23:05
Dehydraded water is highly overraded. :p

GGS2
03-23-2008, 23:46
You know that Dogpatch character that always had a cloud over his head? Joe B??? I wonder if he'd have to carry any water...

Jaybird62
03-23-2008, 23:53
You know that Dogpatch character that always had a cloud over his head? Joe B??? I wonder if he'd have to carry any water...
Water catching device and I would have to say that he would probably be good to go-views may be somewhat restricted, but he should always be able to wet the whistle.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
03-24-2008, 10:12

You're correct! Just wanted to use the easiest example for the non-thermodynamists.

Mike.C
03-24-2008, 20:22
I am a big fan of "Partialy Dehydrated" water. All the nutritional value and only half the calories. Not to mention the weight and volume savings.

It does have a realy stong flavor to some but if it bothers you, you can always water it down a little.

quasarr
03-25-2008, 11:52
Careful Mike C, you're not being as healthy as you think! Although partially dehydrated water has fewer calories, it has trans fats which are much worse!! :eek: It's like drinking movie popcorn butter :eek:

mkmangold
03-26-2008, 00:07
quassar: I beg to differ. The trans- bond in dehydrated water is not trans-fats but rather trans-hydrates between the two dehydrated hydrogen atoms. Once re-hydrated, the bonds become cis-hydrates and take on the molecular structure we commonly know as water.

taildragger
03-26-2008, 19:20
:eek: It's like drinking movie popcorn butter :eek:

I've been in the lab too long w/o food when I see that and think "mmmmm delicious"

walkin' wally
03-26-2008, 20:24

A better analogy might be moth balls or dry ice.

mkmangold
04-25-2008, 00:51
Wikipedia has a blurb about dehydrated water (look under either "Jupiter" or "Ice 9"). Apparently its size and the distance from the sun make ideal conditions for dehydrated water to form naturally on Jupiter. If dehydrated water becomes commercially lucrative, I suppose our government will find a way to harvest it there and transport it here, no doubt at taxpayer's expense!

Captain
04-25-2008, 08:31
no no you see its really simple you carry a 40 pound tank of hydrogen and a 20 pound tank of oxygene turn both on and route them through a form of cerbutator and viala! one pound water and all you ahve to do is carry 60 pounds of tanks and gear to get it

Whoa Bear
04-25-2008, 09:26
no no you see its really simple you carry a 40 pound tank of hydrogen and a 20 pound tank of oxygene turn both on and route them through a form of cerbutator and viala! one pound water and all you ahve to do is carry 60 pounds of tanks and gear to get it

But just remember that the 40 pound tank of hydrogen actually floats so it does in fact make your pack lighter:rolleyes:

Captain
04-25-2008, 11:04
omg now i actualy wanna see if that will work... not the floating pack but the tank idea

weary
04-25-2008, 13:28
omg now i actualy wanna see if that will work... not the floating pack but the tank idea
Public radio had a story yesterday about a guy that hooked himself up to a batch of toy balloons and when the wind changed floated out over the Pacific Ocean. No one has seem him since.

It's my guess he must have been experimenting with dehydrated water ingredients of some kind. Let that be a warning to you folks that think dehydrated water isn't dangerous stuff to be playing with.

Weary

Touch of Grey
04-25-2008, 13:38
I actually tried some of this dehydrated water stuff. Found it right next to the oxygen cans located at the local convenience store here in Orlando. O2 runs almost $10 a bottle and the dehydrated water was $5 for a 6 oz packet that made 5 gallons. Did not care for the taste though. Had sort of a chlorine after-taste to it that made me gag. Shared it with some of the tourists here visiting Universal Studios and they scarfed it down like no tomorrow. I guess there's just no accounting for different peoples tastes.

TOG

mkmangold
04-25-2008, 15:57
I think the funny taste was from a fungicide. Fungi tend to go into spore formation in dry conditions like those found in dehydrated water and that could be a problem when it's rehydrated. This is mainly a problem with artificially produced dehydrated water so I'm beginning to think maybe the idea of harvesting the stuff naturally from other planets has value.
As for that guy who floated off over the Pacific: he is a priest and was repeating that lounge chair act first initiated by an American. I think it was for a fundraiser. Do priests get hazardous duty pay? Oh, and btw, the Flying Nun is in on the search and rescue mission for him.

Chicken Feathers
04-25-2008, 22:04
For a SWAG check with Grumpy OL' pops sounds like he has a very good explanation:banana

Chicken Feathers
04-26-2008, 10:50
Thats would not be such a good idea to freeze-dry your pack because you would have to hydrate it with water and boy would you have a mess. Wet sleeping bag and anything else you had in your pack:-?

Wise Old Owl
05-13-2008, 00:01

Add 1 Anusol Supository and let it set or "Gel" the mix, above all do not eat.

Make sure there are no ignition sources as you might have excess Hydrogen or Methane nearby and nobody, I repeat nobody wants to hear the "FFFFFeeeet" of the explosion.

Wise Old Owl
05-13-2008, 00:04
Careful Mike C, you're not being as healthy as you think! Although partially dehydrated water has fewer calories, it has trans fats which are much worse!! :eek: It's like drinking movie popcorn butter :eek:

Oh the calamity! Sodium levels - My ache breke Heart!

KnowledgeEngine
05-13-2008, 03:08
For sale:

I have in my possession a limited run of sam's club lightweight water. These special purpose bottles have a broken seal, and one to 30 droplets of condensated water on the inside. They resemble what most of us call empty bottles. However if you fill the bottle half full, shake for 10 minutes, and top it off it makes some great water. The cool thing is, you don't have to carry the water weight when you hike. A sam's employee was trying to sneak these out the back door, and when I stopped him he offered to sell me the three cases, and boy did I get lucky.

I am willing to sell this lightweight water for $5 a bottle, or $12 for 3 (that is the limit too) 3 cases, first come first serve. PM for details/questions.

4eyedbuzzard
05-13-2008, 07:34
Just don't get caught selling the heavy water that was separated out of that light water to the Iranians or North Koreans.

Chicken Feathers
05-14-2008, 13:14
[quote=KnowledgeEngine;621423]For sale:

I have in my possession a limited run of sam's club lightweight water. These special purpose bottles have a broken seal, and one to 30 droplets of condensated water on the inside. They resemble what most of us call empty bottles. However if you fill the bottle half full, shake for 10 minutes, and top it off it makes some great water. The cool thing is, you don't have to carry the water weight when you hike. A sam's employee was trying to sneak these out the back door, and when I stopped him he offered to sell me the three cases, and boy did I get lucky.

I am willing to sell this lightweight water for $5 a bottle, or $12 for 3 (that is the limit too) 3 cases, first come first serve. PM for details/questions.[/quote
this sounds like a real deal I am going to be real greedy and buy 3 cases. The check is in the mail. call me at BR 549 and I will give you my address. Can I get you to send it express mail I am starting my thru hike in about 2 weeks. Please call. Thanks:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

sofaking
05-14-2008, 13:23
take them puppies to the new trail daze in harper's ferry, you ought to be able to make a killing.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 13:26
1-800- pfft-you were gone...

billy231
05-14-2008, 14:01

I have heard that dehydrated lawyer is a white powder that resembles a like powder that is illegal. Many of the Rabbit Sheriffs' on the trail cannot tell the difference as the product is so new. If busted with dehydrated lawyer you will need a second, more costly dehydrated lawyer product to assist.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 14:06
I have heard that dehydrated lawyer is a white powder that resembles a like powder that is illegal. Many of the Rabbit Sheriffs' on the trail cannot tell the difference as the product is so new. If busted with dehydrated lawyer you will need a second, more costly dehydrated lawyer product to assist.
the best thing about dehydrated lawyer is that it can be vacuum sealed in a container and ignored, stored away forever.

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 13:28
also there is a way to rehydrate the water such that you can produce electricity

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 13:45
another way to rehydrate the water is to set a glass of just ice in a bowl. note* doesnt work well in arrid environments

Chicken Feathers
05-19-2008, 10:27
Jay I am sorry to tell you this but on the dehydrated ice cubes bag it clearly states I quote "DO NOT MIX ICE CUBES WITH DEHYDRATED WATER" there is a terrible reacation. Believe me I was stupid enough to try mixing the two together and it caused a great disaster. I will not elaborate on this but for your safety do not mix.:-?

mkmangold
09-14-2008, 23:30
I just scored really BIG! At their annual Labor Day Weekend Sale, I was able to purchase 18 bags of dehydrated water for only 69 cents apiece! That was all they had left or I would have bought more.
Oh BTW: here in Wisconsin, that last sentence would have read "...or I would have boughten more" since "boughten" is the past tense of "bought." But since I am originally from Illinois (a "processed cheesehead") I haven't the fortitude to speak in Wisconese yet.
WOOHOO Zambrano!

Homer&Marje
09-15-2008, 08:25
Dehydrated water is out! What you do is carry your own bag of steam. You can buy it in 75 or 100 gallon balloons. 100 gallon balloon of steam cools down to 2 full cups of water. Just attach to a string and drag behind you! It weighs virtually nothing!!! Then when you get to your campsite put your cup under the balloon, and pour cold water over it too cool it. then, watch as the steam turns back to water. When your finished, just boil water on your stove under the balloon and fill back with steam!!!! (Not applicable in winter. There is no way to save the steam once it's ice):D

sheepdog
09-15-2008, 11:54
Dehydrated water is out! What you do is carry your own bag of steam. You can buy it in 75 or 100 gallon balloons. 100 gallon balloon of steam cools down to 2 full cups of water. Just attach to a string and drag behind you! It weighs virtually nothing!!! Then when you get to your campsite put your cup under the balloon, and pour cold water over it too cool it. then, watch as the steam turns back to water. When your finished, just boil water on your stove under the balloon and fill back with steam!!!! (Not applicable in winter. There is no way to save the steam once it's ice):D
After just stocking up on dehydrated water.....this post really steams me!!!:mad:

IceAge
09-15-2008, 17:29
I just scored really BIG! At their annual Labor Day Weekend Sale, I was able to purchase 18 bags of dehydrated water for only 69 cents apiece! That was all they had left or I would have bought more.
Oh BTW: here in Wisconsin, that last sentence would have read "...or I would have boughten more" since "boughten" is the past tense of "bought." But since I am originally from Illinois (a "processed cheesehead") I haven't the fortitude to speak in Wisconese yet.
WOOHOO Zambrano!

What the hey? You mean I was sharing a shelter with a F.I.B.* a few months back!?!? Holy Moses, I'd better check my wallet!

*F.I.B., in Wisconsinese, means "Friendly Illinois Buddy", and NOT "F*****in' Illinois B****rd", really I mean it! :D ;)

mkmangold
09-15-2008, 20:07
What the hey? You mean I was sharing a shelter with a F.I.B.* a few months back!?!? Holy Moses, I'd better check my wallet!

*F.I.B., in Wisconsinese, means "Friendly Illinois Buddy", and NOT "F*****in' Illinois B****rd", really I mean it! :D ;)

Oh, sorry it took so long to get back to this post. I just got back from Miller Park where I saw the Cubs once again crush the Astros. The Cubbies are playing so well there they now call it "Wrigley Field North." The Brewers are relocating to the Philipines and renaming themselves the "Manila Folders."

TD55
09-15-2008, 20:46
You may want to add some food coloring to your dehydrated water before repacking it into vacum bags or ziplocks. It makes it much easier to tell the difference between your water bags, and empty bags. Trust me, you don't want to confuse the two.

mkmangold
09-15-2008, 21:22
You may want to add some food coloring to your dehydrated water before repacking it into vacum bags or ziplocks. It makes it much easier to tell the difference between your water bags, and empty bags. Trust me, you don't want to confuse the two.

Good idea. Try this site: http://cooksdream.com/store/powdered-food-coloring.html

Chicken Feathers
09-16-2008, 09:44
You may want to add some food coloring to your dehydrated water before repacking it into vacum bags or ziplocks. It makes it much easier to tell the difference between your water bags, and empty bags. Trust me, you don't want to confuse the two. Good idea never thought of that. I got my water bag mixed up and drank from the dehydrated water bag and was it awful. I went ahead and ordered $250.00 worth of food coloring that way I got 15% discount. I might not ever use all of the dye but I got 15% off.:-?

cowboy nichols
09-16-2008, 09:52
dehydrate This thread and we could laugh all the way to the end of any trail.

leeki pole
09-16-2008, 11:02
Oh, sorry it took so long to get back to this post. I just got back from Miller Park where I saw the Cubs once again crush the Astros. The Cubbies are playing so well there they now call it "Wrigley Field North." The Brewers are relocating to the Philipines and renaming themselves the "Manila Folders."
They fire their manager tied for the lead in the wild card race (Brew-hahs, that is) and name some guy with a really weird name that I can't even pronounce as "interim manager." Since my Cardinals are now below the dirt, and as much as I hate to say this, I'm going to pull for the Cubs. Now that, my friends, is the ultimate sacrifice for a Redbird fan.

Gray Blazer
09-16-2008, 11:47
Good idea never thought of that. I got my water bag mixed up and drank from the dehydrated water bag and was it awful. I went ahead and ordered $250.00 worth of food coloring that way I got 15% discount. I might not ever use all of the dye but I got 15% off.:-?

Yeah, you're like my wife. She always "saves" me a lot of money, too. :rolleyes:

adventurousmtnlvr
09-16-2008, 13:17
where did you buy your dehydrated water; I think I was taken!!!!!! (big surprise there since I'm up in the middle of the night huh) lol. I only bought the $9.95 kind and it turned out to be sweat (you know ... yuck ... most likely from a sweat shop!). If I'd only held out for the $19.95 deal .... might have at least bagged a placibo! oh well maybe next time.

Homer&Marje
09-16-2008, 16:53
This guy is going to use dehydrated water to grow his organic garden on the lawn of the whitehouse... seriously, this guy is nuts but who isn't these days!:-?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOXtNdQxGw8

Dirty Harry
09-16-2008, 17:56
Wow 128 posts on dehydrated water? Mabe it is real? Mabe it does exsist? Does that mean 2lbs off my back!

mkmangold
09-16-2008, 18:42
Wow 128 posts on dehydrated water? Mabe it is real? Mabe it does exsist? Does that mean 2lbs off my back!

The weight savings with dehydrated water is real (compared to the relative "savings" made by purchasing it in bulk or on sale). It all depends on how much water you usually carry with you. At 8 lbs./gallon, the typical hiker carries a quart or 2 lbs. of water. So yes, it could be "2lbs off" your back.

Jason of the Woods
09-16-2008, 19:01
I heard that next year there will be flavored dehydrated water. Could this be true?

adventurousmtnlvr
09-16-2008, 21:12
Ok I know I'm an idiot but is this for real?
http://buydehydratedwater.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1
I mean yeah, haha its pretty funny, dehydrated water - but this website makes it seem like its a real thing! Is it or isn't it?LOL, since this is a "humor" site what do you think. But if you are serious .... here's the proof ... for real: go to that webpage again ... since you've already been (everyone else do not if you have not yet done this for your safety). 1) there is no lock for a secured site. 2) scammers because if you look at the bottom of the page they are nabbing your IP address (unless of course you use yahoo as your MAIN email ... I personally have 4 emails for this very reason of safety) ... yahoo changes their IP address each time it's opened so you aren't traced 'as easily' .. not a joke by the way. Anyway ... look at the IP address at the bottom of that page and see if it's yours .... :o (probably just collecting email for junk ... but could be real scammers collecting more from a computer) ....

adventurousmtnlvr
09-16-2008, 21:48
LOL, actually before I scare anyone ... IP address are on every website, lol. I just found it funny this dehydrated website printed right on their webpage is why I wrote #2 above on my previous post. Really and truly it's for 'marketing' so the potential for collecting IP's for that purpose is true although IP is not an email addess. It is sometimes (often) actually used in law enforcement to 'locate' people from country on down to city. Then a little trickier from there. So not to freak anyone out every site you hit has your IP address, lol. And how 'marketing' uses it is 'pinging' various numbers until they hit a real one.

bfitz
09-16-2008, 21:53
I heard it tastes just like the real stuffNot really. The skim isn't too bad, though. You can barely tell the difference.

Marta
09-16-2008, 22:09
I think consuming dehydrated water may be secret to easy weight loss!

Alligator
09-17-2008, 08:49
Stick to the O16 dehydrated water, the O18 is heavier.

Homer&Marje
09-17-2008, 09:44
Stick to the O16 dehydrated water, the O18 is heavier.

The 018 tastes so much better though. All those extra dehydrated minerals that make it so weighty. 016 dehydrated water just doesn't have the same content that the 018 does. It would be like putting 5w-30 into a Mack truck. Nope the 018 is 20w-50 that I need:D

leeki pole
09-17-2008, 10:16
The 018 tastes so much better though. All those extra dehydrated minerals that make it so weighty. 016 dehydrated water just doesn't have the same content that the 018 does. It would be like putting 5w-30 into a Mack truck. Nope the 018 is 20w-50 that I need:D
But my owners manual says 5W-30. I'm really confused. All these choices.

Homer&Marje
09-17-2008, 10:34
But my owners manual says 5W-30. I'm really confused. All these choices.

My MP3 player manual states that ear buds should not be listened to extremely loud for long periods of time. On the same page it boasts the loudest ear buds on the market.:-?

"Life is a quandary. Walk backwards and see what happens after you have left"

Two Speed
09-17-2008, 11:03
My MP3 player manual states that ear buds should not be listened to extremely loud for long periods of time. On the same page it boasts the loudest ear buds on the market.:-?Did you say something?

le loupe
09-17-2008, 11:24
But just remember that the 40 pound tank of hydrogen actually floats so it does in fact make your pack lighter:rolleyes:

Which would you rather carry? 40 lbs of hydrogen or 40 pounds of water?

Neither one floats - they both weigh 40 lbs

Jason of the Woods
09-17-2008, 11:39
My MP3 player manual states that ear buds should not be listened to extremely loud for long periods of time. On the same page it boasts the loudest ear buds on the market.:-?

"Life is a quandary. Walk backwards and see what happens after you have left"
May I steal your quote? That is great!

Bare Bear
09-19-2008, 00:53
WARNING: Use of Dehydrated Water can cause powder burns from farting.

mkmangold
01-03-2009, 23:35
We're headed out into some extremely cold nights soon. Like batteries, is it best to keep the dehydrated water close to your body for best use or doesn't it matter? Thanks for any help.

wantonzoon
01-12-2009, 12:37
perhaps this forum should be labeled 'shrunken heads"