PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the grim reaper

Old Hillwalker
02-27-2008, 15:44
As I sit here at the computer I can hear the gentle breathing of a Furry Faced Angel who has been my constant companion for the past fourteen years six months. My Yellow Lab hiked with me summer and winter from four months old until last year when he got just too crippled up for me to ask him to risk his life.

I finally entered full retirement five days ago, and he is the only reason I am not going north bound this year.

Right now I am torn between not wanting him to pass to wherever dogs go, and being free to make my scheduled departure from Baxter SOBO on June 24th.

There is no one to leave him with, nor would I after all the faithful love he has given me over these years. I intend to be holding him in my arms when he takes his last breath either at home or the vets.

He limps, is deaf, has arthritus, and snores, but unlike people I have known, has never lied about love.

If he is still active and alive when June 24th arrives I guess the AT can wait.

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/16/16/1/91/67/2455191670063988367VSwcQf_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2455191670063988367VSwcQf)

Blissful
02-27-2008, 15:53
You do what you need to do, Hillwalker. As many say, the AT will always be there. Take care and give your Angel a hug for me.

Hoop
02-27-2008, 16:01
Your picture sez it all.

(Sorry, didn't see private forum notice)

doggiebag
02-27-2008, 16:02
I feel for you sir. It's the way with people and dogs - we know they will pass. It's the happiness that is shared between these eventualities that count. I'm happy that you've had the great moments with your friend. Regards.

Blissful
02-27-2008, 16:10
The picture is great. Wow, what a super memory. It is so tough losing a dog or any pet. Been there. I mourned our first for six months (esp since we didn't know really how he died). But we have our beagle Lady now (we waited almost two years to get her) and she's a doll.

Jim Obermeyer
02-27-2008, 16:26
I've lost many a pet and it's never easy. My remedy is to wait about 5 days then go to the animal shelter or where ever and get a new puppy. Just remember he'll be alright and you'll be alright.

Almost There
02-27-2008, 16:34
You're doing the right thing 100%

I have three little guys and can't imagine anyone taking care of them but my wife and I. My oldest is almost ten and is starting to occasionally show signs of his age, it tears us apart as he has been with us since a month before we got married, it's hard to think of our lives together without thinkin' of Pacey(wife and sister named him, don't ask!), but he's awesome...seems you have a wonderful friend there...you'll be alright and you always have your memories, it sounds like you've made many over the years!

Two Speed
02-27-2008, 17:41
I guess this is the price we pay for having a constant companion. One day we have to face the fact that one of the most loyal friends we've ever had isn't going to be with us any more.