PDA

View Full Version : Raingear/shells

winger
02-27-2008, 16:05
Beyond the simple silnylon poncho which I use I am interested to know if anyone has had any experience with the high tech/big bucks shells such as are available from Mountain Hardwear (the Argon and Pinnacle models), Arc'Teryx, and Patagonia, and others. Pros/cons (beyond the money factor) would be appreciated.

Blissful
02-27-2008, 16:07
Stay with the simple sil nylon poncho if it works for you. Raingear is only good in camp anyway, no matter the price tag. The rest of the time you just sweat.

take-a-knee
02-27-2008, 16:17
Event is supposed to be best, too pricey for me currently, it'll get cheaper. Sil poncho or Precip for me.

jaiden
02-27-2008, 17:51
TNF diad is very light. Driducks is lighter. a wind shell might buy you some versatility in addition to your poncho. my patagonia houdini is under 4 oz

Seeker
02-27-2008, 18:09
i was stuck using goretex raingear when i was in the army, and i thought it was pretty worthless... too heavy, and not suited to wear while doing any sort of physical activity. i always preferred a poncho. now i use dri-ducks or a poncho (usually dri-ducks top).

JAK
02-27-2008, 18:45
My only clothing shells, all four seasons, are as follows:

1. 8-10 oz Simple sylnylon poncho tarp with hood.
2. 4-5 oz Cheap light nylon wind jacket.
3. 4-5 oz Cheap light nylon wind pants, unless I bring hiking shorts or pants instead.

I find this works best for my clothing system which is mostly wool with some polyester and no down or other shelled layers. For shell layers light weight is most important. Lighter is more packable and breathable and less heavy when wet. The brushed nylon hiking shorts and hiking pants are sometimes the better choice. Its nice to have the belt and extra pockets also. Sometimes I bring hiking short and wind pants, but sometimes the hiking pants are better if there might be some bushwacking. Boxers can always be worn as shorts if I go that route.

JAK
02-27-2008, 18:58
As a general rule, I like a clothing systems where I can wear everything at once. So I never bring two of the same, and only one skin layer, and the other layers such that everything fits comfortable together. Socks are sometimes the exception to this rule, but not always. Also, I have found it best to keep my wool sweater on always, and use all the other layers as the extra layers for climate control. If I bring a fleece layer it fits over the wool, not under. I always bring a skin layer, which might also be wool, but I typically hold it in reserve and for sleeping, and so it goes on last, figuratively speaking, for the mst extreme conditions. In winter the leg shell layer is worn more often however, and my legs don't have the equivalent mid layer like a wool sweater, except some sort of boxers. Looking for wool boxers.

LIhikers
02-27-2008, 19:03
I like Marmot's Precip jacket and pants.

2XL
02-27-2008, 19:25
Anybody have any experience with the Frogg Togg/ Dri-Ducks poncho?

aaroniguana
02-27-2008, 19:31
I also use Marmot Precip jacket and pants as a shell layer. They work well as both a rain and wind suit.

hootyhoo
02-27-2008, 20:04
I use the precip top and bottom. I verymuch like the sil poncho tarp. I foolishly, and expensively tried the high end stuff- it sweats just like the cheap stuff. The poncho is best in my opinion. JAK summed up the perfect system. It does not have to be expensive to be good.

swamp dawg
02-27-2008, 20:23
I have worn out one Marmot Precip jacket and bought a new one last year. I can't tell you how well this jacket stands up to the elements. Works for me. Swamp Dawg

ofthearth
02-27-2008, 20:28
Has anybody used/tried the packa?

http://www.thepacka.com/

FeO2
02-27-2008, 20:35
I use the EMS Thunder Head jacket and pants. Currently on sale!

I like them a lot. They have the features that an inexpensive option lacks like the shock cord adjustable hood and body, zipper vents under the arms, and a fit that allows layers underneath (more specs listed on the EMS website).

This works for me... maybe not everyone. After a few wet and chilly hikes, I saved my money and then went out specifically to purchase rain protection. It was worth the investment in my opinion. :)

Skidsteer
02-27-2008, 20:50
Has anybody used/tried the packa?

http://www.thepacka.com/

I recently got a chance to hike in rain wearing the Packa. It worked so well that I'm revising my SOP regarding rain gear.

take-a-knee
02-27-2008, 21:10
I use the precip top and bottom. I verymuch like the sil poncho tarp. I foolishly, and expensively tried the high end stuff- it sweats just like the cheap stuff. The poncho is best in my opinion. JAK summed up the perfect system. It does not have to be expensive to be good.

when it is raining sideways you'll look like a clipper ship wearing a poncho, it is the only way to go in the summer. I'll stick with the precip when hypothermia might be an issue. The sil poncho is a pound and a half lighter than the Precip suit/pack cover.

JAK
02-27-2008, 21:15
I use a rain poncho/tarp year round but I don't think it would work so well in wind and rain above the tree-line even with the wind jacket and wind pants underneath. I've thought about wearing something over the rain poncho in such situations buth haven't tried it yet. Dino mentioned adding some extra snaps including one between the legs and I think that's a good idea.

Summit
02-27-2008, 22:10
I like Marmot's Precip jacket and pants.Just acquired both . . . good to hear. In fact the pants came in the mail today. I wore them on a three-mile walk tonight @ 34 degrees and 12-18 mph winds - was very comfy!

I bought the Precip combo more for light weight cold protection (with good layering underneath) than for rain protection. I agree that you pretty much just sweat to death hiking in them, unless it's a very cold rain. When raining, I prefer to just . . . take a bath! :D

Summit
02-27-2008, 22:15
I use the EMS Thunder Head jacket and pants. Currently on sale!

I like them a lot. They have the features that an inexpensive option lacks like the shock cord adjustable hood and body, zipper vents under the arms, and a fit that allows layers underneath (more specs listed on the EMS website).

This works for me... maybe not everyone. After a few wet and chilly hikes, I saved my money and then went out specifically to purchase rain protection. It was worth the investment in my opinion. :)The Marmot Precip jacket and pants has all those features too. I got them both for about $120, shipping included.

Dholmblad
02-27-2008, 22:47
I hiked with a MH epic jacket, price tag was $100 and was not worth it for what i needed it to do. If its raining and I am hiking I just deal with it. Keep your pack dry and just hike thru it(as long as your are not cold)

Frosty
02-27-2008, 23:34
Raingear is only good in camp anyway, no matter the price tag. The rest of the time you just sweat.Yeah, but with rain gear you are warm and damp. Without it you are cold and soaked.

No need for rain gear above 50-60 degrees, but it is nice to have in a cold, cold rain.

Pegski
02-28-2008, 00:02
I have been looking on line at the packa. It looks good, but somewhat pricey. Is the price worth it? Is there an alternative that is similar for less $$$?
Appreciate anyone's advice on this as well as raingear and pack cover.
pegski

JAK
02-28-2008, 01:00
Well a small pack and an oversized rain jacket can be a viable option for some. I like the feel of a pack under my jacket even if my pack is reasonably weatherproof, but I think this generally only works with day packs, unless you go with something like a packa or build one yourself. I think I saw some German military thing similar to a packa, or perhaps it was more of a combination anorak/bivy. Larger poncho/tarps can also cover the backpack, but are somewhat looser on the sides. Perhaps you could start with a jacket that you like and then modify it. I think you keep the same collar, and perhaps the same bottom seam, and just cut a big rectangle in the back and then sew on a big hood and hump. Wouldn't need to be the same material or colour.

JAK
02-28-2008, 01:04
I've been thinking about making a great big rain cape out of my gortex bivy big enough to still use as a bivy. Not sure of pattern for a traditional rain cape, as in ancient rain cape, even Middle Earth type rain cape.

Boose
02-28-2008, 10:09
I use a rain poncho/tarp year round but I don't think it would work so well in wind and rain above the tree-line even with the wind jacket and wind pants underneath.

I've used ponchos above treeline during a good blow, and kept my pack, torso and head dry (although not my forearms or lower legs). I snap the two back corner loops under the underarm snaps, to snug the back of the poncho around my pack. Then I buckle the waist belt of the pack around the front of the poncho to keep that from flapping. I aim to keep my core warm. The nice thing about a poncho (esp. for women) is that you have an instant "tent" under which you can take care of bodily functions and still stay dry. Uh, be careful where you aim, though. :D

For those intrepid DIY-ers, there is a Packa-type pattern from Quest Outfitters called the Parcho (http://questoutfitters.com/patterns-jackets.htm#JACKET%20PATTERNS). Looks like flappage could still be an issue.

ofthearth
02-28-2008, 10:25
I recently got a chance to hike in rain wearing the Packa. It worked so well that I'm revising my SOP regarding rain gear.

SS, did you drop a piece of gear like a shell and use this in place or do you carry this as an extra?

I have been looking on line at the packa. It looks good, but somewhat pricey. Is the price worth it? Is there an alternative that is similar for less $$$?
Appreciate anyone's advice on this as well as raingear and pack cover.
pegski

Do a search on the packa. I know I have seen a couple of threads on it here and it seemed to get good reviews. I bought one and it has been great insurance so far....... it's has not rained, snowed, etc since I bought it and have been hiking :rolleyes: so I can't tell you much about it.

ofthearth

LIhikers
02-28-2008, 10:31
....I bought the Precip combo more for light weight cold protection (with good layering underneath) than for rain protection...

If that's the case yoou'll be happy with how they handle that task. I was just on an outting in northern MN and used mine in that capacity. The temperatures ranged from -25 to almost 30 and my Precip gear worked well as an outer shell with layers underneath.

take-a-knee
02-28-2008, 10:56
If that's the case yoou'll be happy with how they handle that task. I was just on an outting in northern MN and used mine in that capacity. The temperatures ranged from -25 to almost 30 and my Precip gear worked well as an outer shell with layers underneath.

I always wondered if that stuff would crack in really cold temps like that. I'm assuming it breathed well enough?

wudhipy
02-28-2008, 11:21
:bananalong live the poncho.......it's a wind shield,won't collect sweat,will serve as a ground cover, great to layer under, can even cover you and your pack at the same time,one size fits most.

wudhipy

Frosty
02-28-2008, 12:37
SS, did you drop a piece of gear like a shell and use this in place or do you carry this as an extra?

Do a search on the packa. I know I have seen a couple of threads on it here and it seemed to get good reviews. I bought one and it has been great insurance so far....... it's has not rained, snowed, etc since I bought it and have been hiking :rolleyes: so I can't tell you much about it.

ofthearthYou don't need rain gear uppers with the packa, but I still carry bottoms.

Great thing about the packa is the way you put it over your pack just like a pack cover if rain is in the forecast. When it starts raining, you can reach back and put it over you without removing pack, etc, and it it stops raining, you can wear it like a cloak (over shoulders but arms not in sleeves, and continue walking without overheating.

If it rains more than a couple days in a row you are going to be wet. Best you can do is minimize the misery.

Rain sucks unless it is 90* and then it feels good until it stops and the woods become a sauna.

JAK
02-28-2008, 17:15
I've used ponchos above treeline during a good blow, and kept my pack, torso and head dry (although not my forearms or lower legs). I snap the two back corner loops under the underarm snaps, to snug the back of the poncho around my pack. Then I buckle the waist belt of the pack around the front of the poncho to keep that from flapping. I aim to keep my core warm. The nice thing about a poncho (esp. for women) is that you have an instant "tent" under which you can take care of bodily functions and still stay dry. Uh, be careful where you aim, though. :D

For those intrepid DIY-ers, there is a Packa-type pattern from Quest Outfitters called the Parcho (http://questoutfitters.com/patterns-jackets.htm#JACKET%20PATTERNS). Looks like flappage could still be an issue.I've haven't tried the belt thing with the pack underneath. Thanks for that. Sounds spiffy,