PDA

View Full Version : Northern Virginia and MD...is hanging food necessary?

indyhoya
02-27-2008, 17:16
We'll be going from Front Royal to the PA border, do you think it's necessary to hang the food? I was thinking no, but want to get some other opinions.

Thanks for the input.

wilconow
02-27-2008, 17:18
If you're referring to bears, you're very unlikely to have an encounter in that area. However, one was seen last year in Maryland

bfitz
02-27-2008, 17:35
However I saw 16 bears in the shenandoah last year so...not that that's any reason to hang food. I never do.

wilconow
02-27-2008, 17:41
Have you ever seen a bear between Front Royal and Harpers?

bfitz
02-27-2008, 17:50
Can't say that I have, but without a doubt there's a chance one's out there. He's probably even more interested in keeping away from you than you are of him. There is a big highway there so maybe they don't cross over to that side so often.

Peaks
02-27-2008, 18:42
There's always critters around, like skunks, racoons, and mice. Makes sense to hang.

bfitz
02-27-2008, 19:07
There's always critters around, like skunks, racoons, and mice. Makes sense to hang.That's precisely the reason I don't hang. Food stays in the tent with me. Unless in a place with metal containers. I fugure if they installed the bear boxes the bears are pushy around there. This usually happens at big campgounds and only occasionally at shelters...

Blissful
02-27-2008, 19:11
Well there's a wacko raccoon at Sam Moore Shelter and it ain't afraid of no one. I'd sure hang there....

Blissful
02-27-2008, 19:15
That's precisely the reason I don't hang. Food stays in the tent with me....

I know a hiker that did that last year and had a nice hole nibbled in her tent the next day (this was in southern VA). Sure it doesn't happen to everyone but it does happen. Better safe than sorry on a $200 plus tent. The only time I didn't hang was in a really bad storm - up in the Whites at high elevation.

wilconow
02-27-2008, 19:18
Can't say that I have, but without a doubt there's a chance one's out there. He's probably even more interested in keeping away from you than you are of him. There is a big highway there so maybe they don't cross over to that side so often.

Yeah I would think 7 and 50 and all the houses limit things a bit.

I have never seen a bear in the northern part of SNP, but I haven't been there a ton of times either

hobojoe
02-27-2008, 19:18
Worry about RACOONS

hnryclay
02-27-2008, 19:20
I know a hiker that did that last year and had a nice hole nibbled in her tent the next day (this was in southern VA). Sure it doesn't happen to everyone but it does happen. Better safe than sorry on a $200 plus tent. The only time I didn't hang was in a really bad storm - up in the Whites at high elevation.

Were they camping near a shelter? I have lived in south west Virginia my whole life, and camped since I was a kid. Never have I had an animal come near me to eat my food. I know it happens, I have just never had it happen to me, mostly I think because I avoid places other people camp.

dessertrat
02-27-2008, 20:49

Probably not, because they are all at SNP where the eating (trash) is better.

doggiebag
02-27-2008, 21:07
Personally - I saw the most bears in my trip at the northern end of the Shenandoahs. I've never felt the need to hang my food because I hike with a dog. However there are plenty of bears in Maryland including the Volkswagen near Cumberland. The most aggresive shelter raiding bear that I encountered was in New Hampshire at the Hexacuba shelter. If I was to give my 2 cents on whether to hang a bear bag ... I'd hang one if I wasn't hiking with a dog - just for the peace of mind.
The Volkswagen - the bear so huge, blocky and without definition - you can't see under his belly.

Programbo
02-27-2008, 21:14
Bear Sightings Increase In Western Frederick County
Citizens reminded: "Please Don't Feed the Bears"
Campfire program about bears to be held on Saturday night at Cunningham Falls State Park
Thurmont, MD (May 20, 1999) - Maryland's Department of Natural Resources (DNR) recently has received several calls concerning bear sightings in Frederick County. Multiple black bear sightings have been recorded along Catoctin Hollow and Mink Farm roads in Thurmont. Earlier this month, a small (approximately 130 lbs.) male bear was killed by a vehicle traveling along U.S. 340 near the Frederick/Washington county line.

doggiebag
02-27-2008, 21:24
Personally - I saw the most bears in my trip at the northern end of the Shenandoahs. I've never felt the need to hang my food because I hike with a dog. However there are plenty of bears in Maryland including the Volkswagen near Cumberland. The most aggresive shelter raiding bear that I encountered was in New Hampshire at the Hexacuba shelter. If I was to give my 2 cents on whether to hang a bear bag ... I'd hang one if I wasn't hiking with a dog - just for the peace of mind.
The Volkswagen - the bear so huge, blocky and without definition - you can't see under his belly.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3468
Usually when I post the picture of "The Volkswagen" up online - we get some Whiteblazers making comments regarding being able to "outrun the porker" and what not ... :D No sprinters tonight - I guess.

DAKS
02-27-2008, 21:35
max-
how close were you to the VW? that's an awesome pic! don't you just wanna' pinch his cheeks?!(the bear that is):D

doggiebag
02-27-2008, 21:37
Daks

Another WB member originally posted VW - it was taken with a remotely triggered camera and was published in the local paper. Awsome animal though! I think I can out run the porker. :D

brotheral
02-27-2008, 21:40
I would hang my food. It's a good habit to practice !! Why take unnecessary chances ?!?!
Happy Trails............BrotherAL

DAKS
02-27-2008, 21:42
Daks

Another WB member originally posted VW - it was taken with a remotely triggered camera and was published in the local paper. Awsome animal though! I think I can out run the porker. :D

no doubt you could out run the VW,.............especially if you were riding yer' ostrich!!!:D giddyup!

oh, and i always hang my food in VA!

Critterman
02-28-2008, 10:02

There have been several bears in residential areas in Loudon county and near Dulles airport over the last few years so the answer would be yes. I have seen bears near the Gravel Springs shelter in SNP and between there and Elkwallow Wayside.

rafe
02-28-2008, 10:21
We'll be going from Front Royal to the PA border, do you think it's necessary to hang the food? I was thinking no, but want to get some other opinions.

What alternatives were you considering? :-? I don't think that stretch is particularly dense with bears, but bears live all along the AT. If there are no other facilities provided (eg. bear box or bear pole, etc.) I hang my food.

tx.katie.finch
02-28-2008, 19:41
I'd do it just for the sake of not liking critters in my chow. I had a minibear raid my dinner once in the rockies... also ate a giant hole right through my ground cloth. This was all during a 20 minute pack-off break while I stepped aside to relieve myself. I had to practically dig the bugger out of my stuff. Cause of that... I always hang.