PDA

View Full Version : Tea drinkers HELP!

Passionphish
02-27-2008, 18:13
I am leaving late march for my thru hike. Yes, this year! Woo-hoo!!! What is a light weight way to take tea? I love my evening tea. Especially on cold nights. What should I do? Tea bags? a lightweight strainer and loose tea?

What do you do?

Hooch
02-27-2008, 18:18
Instant? :p

Alligator
02-27-2008, 18:19
I bring tea bags. I've never worried about the weight of the bag, string, tag, and paper. You could get just bagged tea, no string, tag or paper though if you wanted to. I do squeeze out the water after brewing.

Mrs Baggins
02-27-2008, 18:24
I bring tea bags. I've never worried about the weight of the bag, string, tag, and paper. You could get just bagged tea, no string, tag or paper though if you wanted to. I do squeeze out the water after brewing.

Have you considered yerba mate? It's the So. American version of a caffeinated green tea. It's powerful stuff, comes in either a fairly leafy version or an almost ground up version. Just put it in your cup, pour boiling water over it, add sugar if you like, and let it brew then sip. You just keep adding water to the leaves as you drink. It runs around $8/lb here but only about $2/pound in So. America. You can get it in flavors as well like peppermint and others. You don't strain it, so that's one less thing to carry.

Cuffs
I think Celestial Seasonings teas are tag/string-free...

taildragger
Just tea bag it or learn to love the leaves

smokymtnsteve
02-27-2008, 18:27
French press???

Hokie
02-27-2008, 18:27
If you like, consider an MSR tea mug mate at 18 grams w/o the lid. Additionally, you could make your own tea along the trail with this if you like rose tea or other local fauna teas. It is fun to experiment this way.

hobojoe
02-27-2008, 18:49
learn to love the leaves
I carried 'em I'm drinkin 'em

Appalachian Tater
02-27-2008, 19:07
On the trail tea bags work fine for convenience, carefully strip off the wrapper, string, and tag to save weight and bulk and when you make tea, fish the bag out with your spoon.

Since tea is leaves and the bag is paper, you could burn it in a firepit if you believe that follows LNT principles. At any rate, the wet leaves are wet leaves.

hobojoe
02-27-2008, 19:14
Yerba matte is great, traditionaly drinken from a gourd with a special straw (a bombilla). It's metal but I will be bringing one this year.

hobojoe
02-27-2008, 19:15
http://www.foodzar.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=YERBA1001&click=53
Here is an ultralight version of the bombilla. I will probably try to bring a small gourd or something to drink out of too.

sourwood
02-27-2008, 20:15
I used several methods on my hikes including: Start out with a good stash of tea bags (it doesn't weigh that much), send some in mail drops, buy it in town (again, even a box of good bags doesn't weigh much), check out hiker boxes, buy from small stores who sell single bags (I tried to buy a few bags of great tea from a produce store in NJ...the sales clerk said, "Take it, nobody buys that anyway."

Julie

JAK
02-27-2008, 20:41
I love different teas so I use different methods because my favourite teas come both bagged and unbagged. For unbagged tea at home I use a french press but on the trail I use one of those strainers. I also make tea using bark and twigs and stuff in the woods. It adds even more variety, cuts down on the amount of tea I need to carry, and adds to that feeling of independance and connection with the outdoors, even if part of that feeling is a sense of being able to remain out there indefinitely, which is always a myth once the groceries run out.

Wise Old Owl
02-27-2008, 20:54
I am going to reveal something I am proud of-I am a British Subject, I was brought up on a dose of Tea, I was trying to avoid the fact here on this blog. But I really enjoy making Tea on the trail. The weight and style suggests that whatever you are currently used to - Just do it. Green, Black, White, and others, Just do something that will keep you personally happy, even in a terrible downpour of rain Tea truly is a romantic get away that reveals the inner soul. We are talking about something that will send you home mentally every drink when on the trail - Just remain to be pensive and enjoy.

For you Americans that don't understand the above paragraph a British Subject is not England. Enjoy your little "Tea Party" We are all proud of our roots.

DAKS
02-27-2008, 21:00
i just bring the individual single serving packets with me if i even bring a stove to heat water. LAPSANG SOUCHONG is my favorite!

JAK
02-27-2008, 21:06
My Uncle Lloyd who was from Britain sort of rescued this young guy from drowning at a beach once. Anyhow, the water was quite cold as it was still the spring freshet, and the guy was rather shook up, perhaps more embarrassed than frightenned as it was two young girls he was with that had called for help. Anyhow, my Uncle Lloyd after he got him to shore sent him home with the two gals and told them to make him an extra strong cup of tea, with lots of sugar. So there you have it. If my Uncle Lloyd said it it must be so. Always be prepared to make a strong cup of tea, with lots of sugar. One girl or two.

gdwelker
02-27-2008, 21:28
Here's what I've been doing for tea on the trail. I use one of those egg shaped tea balls and loose tea, taking two types of tea and blending to suit my taste for the day. I used to carry a nalgene lexan bottle with one of those sippy mouth inserts in it. I'd fill it with hot water at night, add the tea baller with the hook and chain on the lip of the sipper insert, and then screwclosed the lid. Drink what you want before bedtime, use the remainder hot tea in the nalgene as a hot water bottle to heat the sleeping bag. In the morning, reheat, or brew more, and have cold tea during the hike that day. Recently switched to one of those stainless steel bottles.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-27-2008, 21:37
yerba mate is some great stuff You can buy it loose or in bags

Marta
02-27-2008, 22:25
Yay for tea!

I tried using loose tea for a while but it was just too messy for me. (At home I don't mind the mess.) I used tea bags. I'd either wring out the bags after use, or sometimes tear them open and scatter the leaves, then pack out the bags, of course.

Brewing up a liter or two of tea in the morning...sitting around and drinking it while the sun rises...what a great way to start a day.

Passionphish
02-27-2008, 22:41
These are some great ideas! Thanks guys! I've never had Yerba Mate so I'll look into in on the next grocery run.

BlackUp
02-27-2008, 22:45
There is the MSR Mugmate that weighs under 1 oz. http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Mugmate-Coffee-Tea-Filter/dp/B000F1SSFI?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1201626540&sr=8-1

JAK
02-27-2008, 22:51
That 'Chai' style tea with cloves in it is a great tea to have as a strong tea with lots of skim milk powder and honey. Alternatively, you can bring along cloves to add to pretty much any tea, whether its a tea you bring along or make from bark and stuff in the woods. Nutmeg is also something you can add for some extra punch. You can overdose on too much of that though I guess. Its a hallucinigen. Haven't done that yet as I just use the powdered stuff and not that much at once. More of an eggnog or oatmeal thing than a tea thing. Bringing along a few strong spices like nutmeg and cloves and mixing with cedar or spruce or birch could be a very lightweight alternative. I would still bring some nice teas from home though, for that warm feeling of home like our British friend aluded to so nicely.

Erin
02-27-2008, 22:51
Tea bags. Use them up to three times. Or share one bag with another one or two people. If there is a fire, burn the left over leaves and paper. I like Bigelow brand and carry out the little foil bag.

JAK
02-27-2008, 23:05
There is the MSR Mugmate that weighs under 1 oz. http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Mugmate-Coffee-Tea-Filter/dp/B000F1SSFI?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1201626540&sr=8-1That looks like it would be quite useful for many things besides making tea, like pre-filtering water.

I have a bit of a dilemna. Sometimes I make just a cup of tea, but sometimes I make a pretty big batch even if just for myself because I can drink a lot at once sometimes and also like to drink it while hiking. Sometimes I make it less strong so I can drink more of it. Anyhow, so I need a mug, but also a larger pot, but also one or two flasks to carry it in while hiking. Not sure of best solution that is not too redundant with other needs such as melting snow cooking, eating, carrying water, and being able to drink tea while doing some or all of the above.

Current kit:
1. Kelly Kettle or Homemade Hobbo Stove
2. Stainless Mug that nests outside of Nalgene Bottle.
3. Larger pot that doesn't nest all that well with other stuff.
4. Two 1 litre aluminum flasks I recently purchased.

So I'm wondering how best to simplify and rationalize some or all of the above with the ability to make tea, make oatmeal etc, and drink and carry tea or water etc. I like that MSR thingy above, except that it works with the mug but not the pot. The opening to my aluminum flasks is rather narrow but I might be able to fit a tea ball down there. I can get a teabag in one but its trickier to get back out again. I really liked the large pot for melting snow and making larger batches of tea or soup or oatmeal in winter. Doesn't pour well into the flasks however. Nuts.

Jason of the Woods
02-27-2008, 23:17
You just carry it. That's all. I'm UL and still don't worry about my "tea" weight.

BlackUp
02-27-2008, 23:36
So I'm wondering how best to simplify and rationalize some or all of the above with the ability to make tea, make oatmeal etc, and drink and carry tea or water etc. I like that MSR thingy above, except that it works with the mug but not the pot. The opening to my aluminum flasks is rather narrow but I might be able to fit a tea ball down there. I can get a teabag in one but its trickier to get back out again. I really liked the large pot for melting snow and making larger batches of tea or soup or oatmeal in winter. Doesn't pour well into the flasks however. Nuts.

One option with the mugmate is to make a super strong batch and dilute it into your other containers with hot water. Or just dump your loose tea and hot water into the biggest container you have and then pour it into the mugmate + other container to remove leaves.

JAK
02-28-2008, 00:30
One option with the mugmate is to make a super strong batch and dilute it into your other containers with hot water. Or just dump your loose tea and hot water into the biggest container you have and then pour it into the mugmate + other container to remove leaves.Thanks for that. Many good ideas there. I can also picture some sort of funnel I might need anyhow for my flasks and it could fit the mugmate. I'm still not sure what hobbo stove might work best all things considered. I'm now thinking about something that tall and narrow and insulated that hangs from a tree for heating up those aluminum flasks, or can be used under and poncho with three tealights instead of wood sticks. Trouble is it always seems to end up heavier and messier than a simple pot or kettle and pot stand, perhaps with a simple wind screen or reflector, or a plain old coffee can hobbo stove. I think I need to spend more time using simple coffee can hobbo stoves in actual field conditions, and leave more complex designs for later.

Mrs Baggins
02-28-2008, 06:45
These are some great ideas! Thanks guys! I've never had Yerba Mate so I'll look into in on the next grocery run.

It's easiest to find it in stores like Whole Foods or other "healthy" grocery stores. I have seen it in bags but it's not as good as the loose stuff. It is becoming more popular here, though, so maybe regular grocery stores are carrying it now. We bought the gourds and silver straws in Chile.

Marta
02-28-2008, 06:51
Tea bags. Use them up to three times. Or share one bag with another one or two people. If there is a fire, burn the left over leaves and paper. I like Bigelow brand and carry out the little foil bag.

Me, too. My standard teas for hiking trips are Constant Comment in the morning and Earl Grey later in the day. The little foil bags keep the tea fresh and aromatic.

rafe
02-28-2008, 07:48
Tea bags for me. I make two cups of tea with each trail dinner. Use the same bag twice. After the 2nd cup, squeeze the water out of it by hand and put it in my trash-ziploc with all the rest.

ASUGrad
02-28-2008, 16:24
Two things to remember.

1) Teas have a steeping time, rarely longer than 5 minutes. Don't steep longer than that. It makes it bitter.
2) When you squeeze a tea bag, you are squeezing bitterness into your cup.

I prefer a tea ball because there is nothing to throw away. I used to be an organic gardener and tea leaves are excellent compost.

Foyt20
02-28-2008, 19:13
Two things to remember.

1) Teas have a steeping time, rarely longer than 5 minutes. Don't steep longer than that. It makes it bitter.
2) When you squeeze a tea bag, you are squeezing bitterness into your cup.

I prefer a tea ball because there is nothing to throw away. I used to be an organic gardener and tea leaves are excellent compost.

This is a great post. Things that us "uneducated" tea drinking americans need to know. And thanks for the tip on the compost :)

Passionphish
02-28-2008, 21:26
Yeah... I think the ball might be the best idea for me. I like the idea and taste loose tea. It is lighter over a long term hike. I think.

Teatime
02-29-2008, 07:03
I use the MSR MugMate and loose leaf black tea. Works for me.

HIKER7s
02-29-2008, 07:12
I am leaving late march for my thru hike. Yes, this year! Woo-hoo!!! What is a light weight way to take tea? I love my evening tea. Especially on cold nights. What should I do? Tea bags? a lightweight strainer and loose tea?

What do you do?

Tea Bag IMO, beats everything else. So you have to pack the spent bag out.

Gaiter
02-29-2008, 07:41
Current kit:
1. Kelly Kettle or Homemade Hobbo Stove
2. Stainless Mug that nests outside of Nalgene Bottle.
3. Larger pot that doesn't nest all that well with other stuff.
4. Two 1 litre aluminum flasks I recently purchased.

Doesn't pour well into the flasks however. Nuts.

Instead of thinking about how the pot nest, think of what can nest inside of it, like your mug, your stove, windscreen, etc....... i hold all mine together w/ my bandana that i only use for my pot

Are the flask the best option, look at platypus's 1 litre reservoirs, lighter and collapsable, yeah you risk puncture, but they aren't hard to replace.

the pouring issue can be changed, all you need is pliers.

also loose tea maybe harder to find in small towns than tea bags....

Passionphish
02-29-2008, 17:08
Good point Gaiter... Hadn't thought all the way to resupply...

HUNTHIKELIFT
03-05-2008, 17:47
Too much work on loose tea. Use tea bags! And the best is TAZO.
http://www.tazo.com/tazo.asp?init=
I'm addicted to AWAKE lol

strage
03-12-2008, 23:01
thou shalt not joke about instant tea.
http://www.thaicraft.com/lipton-instant-milk-tea-vanilla-flavour-10-sache.html
damned foil packets though...

FFTorched
03-12-2008, 23:11
You can make tea out of plants common in the Appalachian Mountains. All those green ferns you see on the forest floor can me used to make tea. Check a plant field guide first because I'm going off memory from many years ago. When I was a kid a park ranger taught me how to do it, but you need a tea strainer and to dry them a bit. I'm sure you can find a way to to do it.