PDA

View Full Version : Helping Ms Janet

Lugnut
02-27-2008, 18:16
Minnesota Smith has offered in another thread to donate $100.00 to Ms Janet towards the Erwin Hiking Center when she finds the right place.
I will also pledge the same amount and hope many more will do the same.
Do not do so unless you really will follow through. Anyone else on board?

hobojoe
02-27-2008, 18:51
I will match that.

HikerRanky
02-27-2008, 20:31
Just tell me where to send the money....

Appalachian Tater
02-27-2008, 20:33
Miss Janet has not publicly indicated that it is a financial issue.

Sly
02-27-2008, 20:45
Miss Janet has not publicly indicated that it is a financial issue.

What kind of announcement is that? Of course it's a financial issue, otherwise she wouldn't have done the survey.

Count me in, but I imagine she'll need atleast 200 donors @ $100.

Ghosthiker
02-27-2008, 20:45
If it happens, count me in.

Almost There
02-27-2008, 20:51
I think it's a half and half issue, possibly money and possibly the people she has been trying to deal with being wishy-washy.

Sly
02-27-2008, 20:58
I think it's a half and half issue, possibly money and possibly the people she has been trying to deal with being wishy-washy.

You also think all thru-hikers are self-absorbed and selfish. :p

Appalachian Tater
02-27-2008, 21:00
What kind of announcement is that? Of course it's a financial issue, otherwise she wouldn't have done the survey.I don't know what survey you're talking about, but unless I'm not understanding what she meant, she didn't say it was a financial issue at all: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33661

Helping Miss Janet financially is a great thing but it may be that some other kind of help is what she needs right now, like fixing up her house for sale. Ask her what she needs.

Sly
02-27-2008, 21:07
I don't know what survey you're talking about.....

Exactly, sometimes you need to pay more attention if not read in-between the lines.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25700

Appalachian Tater
02-27-2008, 21:10
Exactly, sometimes you need to pay more attention if not read in-between the lines.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25700Asking for letters of reference means she is having financial problems?

What survey are you talking about?

Lugnut
02-27-2008, 21:11

Sly, We've got over 15,000 members here. Surely 200 can find an extra hundred bucks so I don't think your number is unreachable. We can do it.

Sly
02-27-2008, 21:18
Sly, We've got over 15,000 members here. Surely 200 can find an extra hundred bucks so I don't think your number is unreachable. We can do it.

Someone will need to keep track. I would think once we reach 100 it would be time to start collecting money. If she can reach an agreement on one of the properties she considered with a cash down payment AND a business plan it's very well possible.

Of course, it's up to MJ and she very well may need more than 20k.

Survivor Dave
02-27-2008, 21:32
Why doesn't somebody just ask her?:-?

What kind of announcement is that? Of course it's a financial issue, otherwise she wouldn't have done the survey.

Almost There
02-27-2008, 21:58
You also think all thru-hikers are self-absorbed and selfish. :p

Well, whenever someone comes on talking about should they stay with their gal or do a thru, you all are so quick to tell him to ditch her and hike! If that ain't self-absorbed then I don't know what is!;)

Almost There
02-27-2008, 21:59
Why doesn't somebody just ask her?:-?

I'm pretty sure she won't get into it in a public forum, although I'm sure there are a couple of people who may already know the particulars, but it's her business to say regardless.

Sly
02-27-2008, 22:13
Well, whenever someone comes on talking about should they stay with their gal or do a thru, you all are so quick to tell him to ditch her and hike! If that ain't self-absorbed then I don't know what is!;)

I think you have it backwards. It's usually the gal that's self-absorbed who will say it's me or the trail. Another example would be if Erin wanted to go to night school and you said, who's going to cook my dinner? Think about it.

Allen66
02-27-2008, 22:21
To start off I don't know Ms. J and although I am sure she would appreciate what everyone on WB is trying to do. What I got from her post is that she needs a break from the stress of planning and rejection and whatever else. Give her some time to chill.

Almost There
02-27-2008, 22:22
I think you have it backwards. It's usually the gal that's self-absorbed who will say it's me or the trail. Another example would be if Erin wanted to go to night school and you said, who's going to cook my dinner? Think about it.

Where's the happy go luck old hippy, I'm jokin' around with you!:D BTW, there are alot of us that assume that's what the gal has done, sometimes the guy hasn't even talked to her yet, he's just assuming she's gonna say that...some guys are cowards when it comes to their women, I'm friends with a few of them.

C'mon Sly be happy, life ain't that bad!:D

camojack
02-27-2008, 22:29
Where's the happy go luck old hippy, I'm jokin' around with you!:D BTW, there are alot of us that assume that's what the gal has done, sometimes the guy hasn't even talked to her yet, he's just assuming she's gonna say that...some guys are cowards when it comes to their women, I'm friends with a few of them.

C'mon Sly be happy, life ain't that bad!:D
Yeah, ya selfish bastard! ;)

Miss Janet
02-27-2008, 22:39
Can you feel the love??

You guys are all too much. Some of you are right and some not so right... I don't mean that in a bad way! But I can answer a few of your questions.

It is not a purely financial situation. Sure, if I had a half a mil just laying around it would solve a FEW of the problems but I don't and I don't know any millionaire hikers that want to invest in a business that may never give them a good investment return.

The Erwin Hiking Center was designed as a year round business offering a full service backpacking hostel but also offering services to other markets like school groups, scouts, families, etc. Few businesses along the AT survive on the income from long distance hikers only. Most that I can think of have other businesses, second incomes, retirement incomes or very low overhead(ie, no rent or mortgage and no taxes being paid). I love my Thruhikers but I learned a long time ago that I can't get you guys/gals to hike year round to provide anything but seasonal income.

The kinds of properties I need for this kind of business requires the room for implementing new programs and services. A cute little house in town would not be appropriate space. A cabin 20 miles out of town wouldn't work. I have had to look at business zoned and commercial property. I have researched and decided against as many properties as I have been hopeful of. This last property was ideal but the final straw was when a family member of the owner voiced a desire to try her own business there. Family trumps other deals.

The problem is that I now have to take care of family concerns and I don't have time to develop another business plan for another property. IF there was even a good option still available! I appreciate so many of you wanting to help out but this is a complicated situation. A few thousand well intended dollars will not make my dream for the Erwin Hiking Center any closer to a reality. But you all have showed me once again WHY I want to continue this kind of a business... you all are good people!

I will see you guys on up the trail.

Miss Janet

Survivor Dave
02-27-2008, 22:41
I have to agree with you on that Allen.

I sure hope that this doesn't turn into a "what's good for Ms. Janet" thread.
I have never met her, and PMed with her once to say I'd try to stop in on my way.

She has done well for herself. I don't know about her financial situation, but there's more to it than money.

Just look at all the support she gets from the WB.

This is her endeavor. There will be those that donate, that think they are entitled to something more as far as how it should be operated and that causes problems.

She is strong and knows what to do AND how to do it.

SD

To start off I don't know Ms. J and although I am sure she would appreciate what everyone on WB is trying to do. What I got from her post is that she needs a break from the stress of planning and rejection and whatever else. Give her some time to chill.

Miss Janet
02-27-2008, 23:02
I have to agree with you on that Allen.

I sure hope that this doesn't turn into a "what's good for Ms. Janet" thread.
I have never met her, and PMed with her once to say I'd try to stop in on my way.

She has done well for herself. I don't know about her financial situation, but there's more to it than money.

Just look at all the support she gets from the WB.

This is her endeavor. There will be those that donate, that think they are entitled to something more as far as how it should be operated and that causes problems.

She is strong and knows what to do AND how to do it.

SD

Now if I can just get back to feeling this way!

Appalachian Tater
02-28-2008, 00:53
Well, at least you know that there is support for you as soon as things start to fall in place.

minnesotasmith
02-28-2008, 13:19
Miss Janet, you told me once that you would love to start an outfitter, that you knew (and I concur) that you had plenty of knowledge on how to do it right. Your limitation at the time was capital, needing at least 10 grand to get started.

How about selling shares in the Erwin Top Outfitter store, at 50.00 or 100.00 apiece? You'd have to reach a certain minimum amount to get started, keep it in escrow, divide the profits a certain %age annually (say, 60/40), etc., but I bet you'd get a ton of interest. I'd certainly stay in for the 100.00 I previously pledged, easily going up on it if it looked like a "go".

Talk to us, MJ. You're not alone in this unless you choose to be. We need you.

A-Train
02-28-2008, 13:23
Talk to us, MJ. You're not alone in this unless you choose to be. We need you.

Never truer words spoken MS.

I think having thousands of "adventurers" in awe of YOU Miss J, speaks volumes to your character and capabilities.

We got your back.

Appalachian Tater
02-28-2008, 14:04
If you decide to sell stock, consider selling only preferred shares so you retain complete ownership and control of the business.

Unfortunately, public ownership is very expensive to maintain because of regulation and is impractical for a small business.

budforester
02-28-2008, 14:06
Please keep us posted Miss Janet; I may need to make a "reservation"

jesse
02-28-2008, 14:53
$10,000 ain't much when starting a business. I forgot what the rules are for selling shares, but once you reach a certain level of shareholders (a fairly small number) the process gets complicated, and expensive.

yappy
02-28-2008, 15:06
I am in too. .