PDA

View Full Version : CDT Thruhike Dreaming

justinwp
02-27-2008, 20:25
I'm planning on thruhiking the cdt in 2009, but I think I might go a bit crazy waiting that long. How do you do it?

Second, is there anything that you wish you would have planned or not have planned for?

fiddlehead
02-27-2008, 20:50
1st/ How do you do it? put one foot in front of the other. (hopefully in the right direction)

2nd/ Plan to start or end your trip at Waterton Park. It is 1,000 times more spectacular than the Chief Mtn ranger station , finish (or start) that misses the best part of the whole trail IMO.

For proof, go to google earth and look at the pictures of both of them. (We were angrily told that we could not take any pictures from the Chief Mtn people.) On my first hike finishing at Waterton lake, i was wined, dined, and taken home by a cute Morman girl after THE most spectacular finish to any thru-hike I had ever done.

It's a great trail. enjoy it, but yes, it takes some preparation. My $400 map set I put together is about to be used for the 5th time this coming hiking season.

You may want to join the CDT-L and ask around over there.

Sly
02-27-2008, 20:51
IMO, for a number of reasons the CDT is the best trail out there. Unless you've completed your planning, 1 year is not all that long a wait, but well worth it.. It will come quickly.

Sly
02-27-2008, 20:54
Yo Fiddlehead, who's using your maps this year? I plan on starting the PCT but if there's too much snow once I get to the Sierras I may pick up where I left off last year.

justinwp
02-27-2008, 22:22
i've been on the cdt-l for a few years now :)

Sly
02-27-2008, 22:28
i've been on the cdt-l for a few years now :)

Sorry for the down time and the need to resubscribe last fall. It couldn't happen at a worse time (except for spring) when hikers were returning from their hikes.

fiddlehead
02-28-2008, 02:36
Yo Fiddlehead, who's using your maps this year? I plan on starting the PCT but if there's too much snow once I get to the Sierras I may pick up where I left off last year.

Guy named Yippy who i hiked the PCT with in '96. He did a lot of WY and some MT with Rainman and Vicki last year. He's a good friend.
My maps are pretty nasty though. We went through them all last year with Rainman and those BLM maps never were very durable you know. Scotch tape will probably get them thru one more time. Rainman will have his contact info. Have fun out there Slyman. (Bulldog is coming here in May)

Sly
02-28-2008, 05:03
Guy named Yippy who i hiked the PCT with in '96. He did a lot of WY and some MT with Rainman and Vicki last year. He's a good friend.
My maps are pretty nasty though. We went through them all last year with Rainman and those BLM maps never were very durable you know. Scotch tape will probably get them thru one more time. Rainman will have his contact info. Have fun out there Slyman. (Bulldog is coming here in May)

Yeah I know Dennis.

Did Rainman ever tell you how we hitched to a place in NM because you had it circled "bar"? No bar left to speak of, we couldn't even get water, but they did sell beer to go. A few minutes after we left to hitch back to the trail a native picked us up ready to party. He had water and hot pizza. Good times (til I twisted my ankle, still not right)!

I need to get in touch with Bulldog. I'm hoping to hook up with him sometime in July when I get up near Lake Tahoe.

fiddlehead
02-28-2008, 07:01
Did Rainman ever tell you how we hitched to a place in NM because you had it circled "bar"? No bar left to speak of, we couldn't even get water, but they did sell beer to go. A few minutes after we left to hitch back to the trail a native picked us up ready to party. He had water and hot pizza. Good times

Sounds like that small town near the artesian well after the chocolate river.
Twas a tiny bar in a tiny town. (A town built with no water around)

I have many memories of that day and night! (it was the thirstiest i've ever been and we kept fording that river that looked like it was a chocolate milkshake with marshmallows in it. Slo Ride kept me from drinking it. (the marshamallows were actually rock salt) then we found about a gallon of water sitting with 6 or 7 dead mice in it and i thought about adding some of my chlorox to it but once again, Slo ride woulnd't let me. Pays to have friends along sometimes. (then we got cold showers at the artesian well and someone gave us a ride to the bar!) Talk about relief!

yappy
02-28-2008, 14:44
Hi Fiddlehead.. you are gonna laugh but i will be using your maps in 09 ! small world. Did ya know that they are going to do the Gdt as well ?.. I will be around lake tahoe in August... would love to see bulldog...:)..

fiddlehead
02-28-2008, 22:15
Hi Fiddlehead.. you are gonna laugh but i will be using your maps in 09 ! small world. Did ya know that they are going to do the Gdt as well ?.. I will be around lake tahoe in August... would love to see bulldog...:)..

Hey Yappy, sounds GREAT! But, I can't imagine there will be much left of them. HOpefully they've invented some better scotch tape by then. You should plan on probably replacing a few of the BLM maps. (The TI ones are made tough and will probably be ok and they are the more expensive ones too)
I'll be back in PA in the fall if you want to go over them together. (maybe we'll catch a Steelers/EAgles game if they have one this year?)

yappy
02-29-2008, 13:56
Hi, oh no !! I wanted to pass on what is soon becoming a tradition of taking your maps up and down the spine of the Rockies...:). I expect to have to replace some. dennis said they are getting " well used "..lol.. he is very excited about hiking this yr. I will be doing his drops so will get to hear alot of what he thinks. I can't wait ! I doubt I will be back East in the Fall... well, maybe Oct actually. The Steelers still rule my heart. it would be fun to watch a game with you and go over the maps. . Don't tell Sly but I was glad to see the Pats lose. ..:) hey, they beat UP on my team !

is it warm in Thailand ? I hear Rainman is coming to Ak this summer ? I hope I get to see him..:)

Sly
02-29-2008, 13:58
Don't tell Sly but I was glad to see the Pats lose. ..:) hey, they beat UP on my team !

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

yappy
02-29-2008, 14:06
lol. Yikes ! I understand your pain believe me. I get totally and heartbreakingly involved with the Steelers. It HURTS... for a long time.. when they lose a game. I know my friend. That one, for you... will be a hard one to swallow. Isn't it interesting how we get so wrapped up in sports ... After a loss in the playoffs I have had nights when I couldn't sleep.. and I HATED the other team ! I know how much you wanted them to win cuz it is how much I would have wanted my Steelers to win. hey, the Pats are unbelieveable.. no doubt about it. WOW. I tip my hat to the season you guys had and I wouldn't be suprised At ALL if you win next year. Dog gone it !...:)

Sly
02-29-2008, 14:15
OK, you're forgiven... ;)

yappy
02-29-2008, 14:27
whew !...:)

fiddlehead
02-29-2008, 21:39
I'm planning on thruhiking the cdt in 2009, but I think I might go a bit crazy waiting that long. How do you do it?

Second, is there anything that you wish you would have planned or not have planned for?

Back to topic: Lots to plan as there are some mandatory mail drops: Benchmark, Atlantic City OR South pass, Pie Town, Leadore, etc.
You may need different maps because you won't make up your mind which way you want to go until you get there depending on snow, water situations, time till winter, etc.
I think the CDT-L will have more answers as this is more of an AT forum with only a few CDTers active. I haven't hiked it since 2002 now so perhaps there are new grocery stores or ghost towns rejuvenated? (Tin Cup? Winfield?) the store in Tin Cup was open on my 1st thru but not my second. Winfield is hopping in August on raceday but a real ghost town the rest of the year i believe.
Point is: lots of variables. (which makes it a GREAT trail!)
Be prepared to change plans daily.

Sly
02-29-2008, 22:01
Yogi's book is great for town info and planning. Resupply, where the maps, guidebook pages split, town maps etc

http://www.pcthandbook.com/

fiddlehead
02-29-2008, 22:10
Yogi's book is great for town info and planning. Resupply, where the maps, guidebook pages split, town maps etc

http://www.pcthandbook.com/

That's the PCT handbook Sly, this is the CDT thread. So, i finally caught you in a mistake. We both know you've caught me in a few already (VA 2002 winter, remember?)

Sly
02-29-2008, 22:13
That's the PCT handbook Sly, this is the CDT thread. So, i finally caught you in a mistake. We both know you've caught me in a few already (VA 2002 winter, remember?)

Sorry Fiddlehed you need to try harder! :p Click the link. She had books for both the PCT and CDT!

Here are some sample pages. If you plan on carrying a Garmin GPS she even has a chapter on which maps to download. Neet

http://www.pcthandbook.com/uploads/CDT%20sample%20pages.pdf

Marta
02-29-2008, 23:36
To merge two threads...would a GPS be a useful thing to use my REI dividend on, as Liteshoe and I prepare for a little CDT section hike this summer? The section up in Glacier.

fiddlehead
02-29-2008, 23:56
I knew you were smarter than me. Oh well, i'll keep trying.

fiddlehead
02-29-2008, 23:59
To merge two threads...would a GPS be a useful thing to use my REI dividend on, as Liteshoe and I prepare for a little CDT section hike this summer? The section up in Glacier.

Glacier is well marked. Now, "The Bob" is a different story. (although still well marked but a GPS would come in handy if it's snow covered)

Sly
03-01-2008, 00:00

You don't really need a GPS for Glacier as it's really well signed but there are burn areas where it may come in useful. You'd want a mapping GPS (Vista or Legend HCx with mapping software) However, other parts of the CDT it can be used more often.

I'd compare prices with REI and Amazon, as the later usually has very good sales.

Edit: I just checked. At REI the Legend bundled with the software and case cost $299. At Amazon the GPS and software (no case) cost about $265

Sly
03-01-2008, 00:08
I knew you were smarter than me. Oh well, i'll keep trying.

LOL... I don't know about smarter than you. I just get caught in less mistakes! ;)

yappy
03-01-2008, 13:43
fiddlehead, where is it the least marked ? it sounds like it is getting a bit better every year. I don't know if that is a good thing or not..

Sly
03-01-2008, 14:27
fiddlehead, where is it the least marked ? it sounds like it is getting a bit better every year. I don't know if that is a good thing or not..

About 50% is least marked. Navigating on the CDT is a Zen thing. When I'm not feeling Zen like I use the WAG method.

Seriously, The Wolf guidebooks, and Fiddlehead's and the Ley maps and you should be fine. A mapping GPS can be a big help too.

yappy
03-01-2008, 17:23
yeah, we are bringing gps. the colorado trail portion was very well marked but that is probably the best...

Blister
03-08-2008, 14:35

It is true that she put one together - she let a bunch of hikers try them out back in 06 when I was on the trail. I had access to some of the pages, good for reference in town. Maybe in 09 I will have paid off the 06 trip and will be able to get out there for a jaunt. I can't believe your maps are still in use, they were even in my hands for awhile - a good source of cheat notes on them. I have a serious case of spring fever!!!!!! I'm gonna turn 40 in 09 -= god I'm gettin up there at least I still get out occassionally!

Sly
03-08-2008, 14:39
((((blister)))) Where have you been? what's up?

Sly
03-08-2008, 14:41
yeah, we are bringing gps. the colorado trail portion was very well marked but that is probably the best...

The Ley maps have a compass rose with a GPS point. With that, and a GPS of course, you can figure out just where you are on the maps. Pretty neat.

Blister
03-08-2008, 15:24
((((blister)))) Where have you been? what's up?

Just dealing with the winter blues. I am tierd of the snow, the tourists, the rain, the ice - just havn't been feeling to social is all. Kinda turned into a homebody in front of the big screen tv. THINK SPRING!!!!!

yappy
03-08-2008, 21:44
Hi girl friend...;) I am thinking Spring too. Ak is hinting and it is awesome out !,, i wanna wear shorts.

fiddlehead
03-08-2008, 21:44
You don't really need a GPS for Glacier as it's really well signed but there are burn areas where it may come in useful. You'd want a mapping GPS (Vista or Legend HCx with mapping software) However, other parts of the CDT it can be used more often.

I'd compare prices with REI and Amazon, as the later usually has very good sales.

Edit: I just checked. At REI the Legend bundled with the software and case cost $299. At Amazon the GPS and software (no case) cost about $265

I just picked up a Legend on ebay for $71.
My old etrex was stolen this past Dec. when i was home for a few weeks.

Where isn't the trail well marked? NM, parts of CO, most of WY and many parts of MT.

Have fun out there. I agree it's my favorite trail.

yappy
03-08-2008, 21:49
yeah, I need to get better with the gps. This summer gonna play up here with it some. I must not be intimidated by tech stuff !.. lol. i am suprised i have an atm card....

fiddlehead
03-08-2008, 23:03
Practice things like putting in a known waypoint (from your map) and then go and try to find it. (even if it's only the corner of your map where the lat/lon is most probably in 7 1/2 minute increments) (depending on what scale maps you use) and get used to using different scales as many different ones are included in my maps.
When you get good at that, try the opposite, figuring out what lat/lon to put into your gps for somewhere you want to go and then go see how accurate you are. (this is what we did a lot so you will notice the scribbling and scratching on my maps, you'll be able to see what way we went.) but you should still sometimes go your own way and create your own trail.

If you can do these two things, the rest will be easier. (Jonathon Ley's maps have a known lat/lon near the center of each of his maps)

yappy
03-09-2008, 00:35
Ok thanks.....i will be asking more questions as time goes by..:) hey, yacked with bulldog, gonna see him in the fall. he lives basically right on the trail as i am sure you know. That is nice ! look forward to seeing him.

justinwp
03-25-2008, 20:41
Thanks to those who offered some suggestions. I may have the opportunity this summer to get some experiencing building/maintaining part of the CDT leading a SCA trail crew for 3 months on the Salmon-Challis NF. Here is one of the projects that is listed in the SOPA(schedule of proposed actions) that the crew may get to work on:

Project Name: Continental Divide National Scenic Trail: Berry to Goldstone
EA

Expected Implementation: 06/2008

Description: Construction of new trail and reconstruction of existing trail, about 18 miles total.

Location: UNIT - Wisdom Ranger District, Leadore Ranger District. STATE - Montana, Idaho. COUNTY - Lemhi, Beaverhead. LEGAL - T6S, R17W; T7S, R16W. Approximately 10 miles southwest of Jackson, Montana along the Continental Divide mainly..

http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components/reports/sopa-110413-2007-10.html

Marta
03-25-2008, 21:59
I've been trying to pull up Yogi's Handbook site. It appears to be down. Anyone know anything about this?

Ten hours later...the site is up and functioning just fine.

fiddlehead
03-25-2008, 22:28
Thanks to those who offered some suggestions. I may have the opportunity this summer to get some experiencing building/maintaining part of the CDT leading a SCA trail crew for 3 months on the Salmon-Challis NF. Here is one of the projects that is listed in the SOPA(schedule of proposed actions) that the crew may get to work on:

Project Name: Continental Divide National Scenic Trail: Berry to Goldstone
EA

Expected Implementation: 06/2008

Description: Construction of new trail and reconstruction of existing trail, about 18 miles total.

Location: UNIT - Wisdom Ranger District, Leadore Ranger District. STATE - Montana, Idaho. COUNTY - Lemhi, Beaverhead. LEGAL - T6S, R17W; T7S, R16W. Approximately 10 miles southwest of Jackson, Montana along the Continental Divide mainly..

http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components/reports/sopa-110413-2007-10.html

Yeah, that section south of Wisdom is one that can be confusing. There are tons of dirt roads just to the east of the divide, some beautiful stuff up on the divide but no trail. This is where i had a cow moose following me and getting way to close as i was bushwhacking thru some heavy brush on my 2002 hike.
Trail to get up to the top and around the craggy stuff that is next to impossible without ropes would be cool.
I'm ok with no trail though too. Sometimes it's where you get your best memories.

Hello Blister Sister! Good to hear you are getting ready for another hike.
Check this one out that i am trying to talk Rainman and Ramblin into:

http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/vinlin27d.htm

Looks exciting, aye?

yappy
03-29-2008, 13:09
where is blistersister hiking ?? inquiring minds wanna know..:)

Blister
03-29-2008, 14:21
Your guess is as good as mine????? If I keep at it as I have been doing, my finances will be back in order in 2009 with the potential to do as I will without the debt I took upon myself on the last adventure. Something new? Something old with a twist? Push the limits? Something American, something foriegn? All I know is that I am eager and jonesing to be out anywhere!!!! 09 is so far away!

FH - that trail seems amazing and looks like alot of fun. Gotta love the heart stopping terrain. Definatley a mind over matter trail, I think second thoughts belong to the people not paying attention and slipping to their deaths. Verrry Coool! Givew RM and Ramblin my reguards. Peace Out.