PDA

View Full Version : Dar be snow 'n ther Hills

Tennessee Viking
02-27-2008, 21:22
Tuesday night I walked out of work in Johnson City TN. I checked the radar, and saw no precipatation levels. So I thought it was just low level snow, which wouldn't last long. And a slight snow flurry was coming down. But weather forecast called for flurries all next day with no wind and highs in the 40s for the cities. So I would estimated probably a high of 20 for the mountains

I woke up Wednesday morning to see a nice inch or two out my window. But none on the streets. I drove down to Erwin to check out the mountains. Unaka was barely visible and white. But Erwin was the same, an inch or two on the ground, none on the roads. So I drove up to Devils Fork Gap, here comes the blizzard. As soon as I took turn up TN352, the snow just came down. I passed a few farms where there seemed more than a foot. I got to the trailhead, and TDOT & NCDOT plowed huge piles of snow in the turnout. But when I looked at the trail it was a good 5-6 inches. I turned around and headed back to Erwin.

I drove up to Indian Grave Gap hoping to hike to Beauty Spot and play in the snow. But when I saw the trail, it too was a good 4-5 inches.

So I drove down to Rock Creek Rec area hoping to hike some of the lower elevation trails. I hiked up Rock Creek Falls Trail. The initial hike in was not tough. The trailhead only had a couple inches and the sun seemed to peeking out of the clouds. But once I got up to the waterfalls, there was a good 3-4 inches of snow. Whats funny was I that I was just here the other day, and it was about 40-50 degrees. But after 2.5 miles of a good climb and a few fords. I reached the falls got a few pics, and headed back down. But when I was hiking down, it was the most hiliarous thing to watch. I was hanging on the rodos try not to slide down. I was shuffling through the snow. When I got down to my car and looked in the mirror, I looked like a damn yetti, covered head to toe in white snow.

Hope you Nobos were not stuck on the mountain tops in this. This was a sudden snow fall.

Dholmblad
02-28-2008, 00:15
I wish I had snow here in southwest va

Scaper
02-28-2008, 02:44
Over 1 foot of snow in smokies at higher elevations.

Puppy
02-28-2008, 09:20
Here is a news report link on snow in the smokies...

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/2498295/

mts4602
02-28-2008, 09:43
Man I hope this stuff sticks around. I'm going next friday to the smokies:banana

Unfortunatly I think it's going to be closet to 60 degrees for a couple days next week.

DavidNH
02-28-2008, 10:00
gee.. 4-5 inches of snow on the ground stopped you from hiking to beauty spot? I'd think that would make thinks prettier!

up here in Concord, NH we are on pace for a record winter. Already over 90 inches of snow for the season and well over a footon the ground. The mountains have a glacier!

I wonder how much snow is in the smokies or on top of Unaka Mountain?

DavidNH

Footslogger
02-28-2008, 10:11
I wish I had snow here in southwest va

==================================

Be careful what you ask for ...

'Slogger

celt
02-28-2008, 10:14
gee.. 4-5 inches of snow on the ground stopped you from hiking to beauty spot? I'd think that would make thinks prettier!

up here in Concord, NH we are on pace for a record winter. Already over 90 inches of snow for the season and well over a footon the ground. The mountains have a glacier!

I wonder how much snow is in the smokies or on top of Unaka Mountain?

DavidNH

Yes, big snow year in most of the Whites. I hope early starting thru hikers are aware before they get here. The snow totals for Loon Mountain ski area (2733 feet, near N. Woodstock, about 7 miles from the A.T., same latitute as Moosilauke) was 185 inches as of yesterday.

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 10:23
We heard that there was 2 feet in the Smokies.?

error
02-28-2008, 10:23

And it sure is beautiful - until the snowplows shove it all off the streets and into my yard! :eek: Personally I'm going to Springer to get away from all this stuff! Though, after this winter, I don't think a foot of snow will stop me...

Thoughtful Owl
02-28-2008, 10:28
In central VA we haven't had much more than a dusting of snow thus far. Last week on Thursday it snowied up in the Cow Camp/Hog Camp Gap area. I was so looking forward to the weekend and hiking in some snow. Got up there Friday evening and nothing but rain and fog. A real bummer. So like Dholmbald I too, inspite of Sloggers warning to "be careful what you ask for" wish we had some snow.

wtmntcaretaker
02-28-2008, 10:43
my backyard has probably four feet of snow on it. the snow banks are over six feet in some places. I was over in Peterburough last Saturday and the snow banks over there are higher than my dad's grand Cherokee. :) fun stuff for sure

eventidecu
02-28-2008, 10:50
I think there pushing over 2ft over around the smokies now. Dang 4wd still in the shop can't go out and play! :mad:

Yahtzee
02-28-2008, 11:25
NYC had its first real snow of the season last week. 6 inches. Mid-Atlantic states are water plentiful but snow poor. For the first time in ages, all counties in PA are off of Drought status.

Dholmblad
02-28-2008, 12:43
==================================

Be careful what you ask for ...

'Slogger

We got 1/10 of an inch last night....

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 10:18
We got SNOW in Central VA!

Roanoke City.... 15 inches of snow.

My house.... 10 inches of snow= Beautiful.

How much did YOU get?

Prime Time
02-13-2014, 10:30

How much did YOU get?
No snow expected here in Costa Rica :) Back home in Northern NH they're expecting a foot with that much on the ground already. The Whites are buried. Spring skiing should be fine!

Slo-go'en
02-13-2014, 10:33
We haven't gotten any yet, but it's a commin. BTW, notice the start date for this thread - 6 years ago almost to the day!

I remember 2008, we got a lot of snow that year. I went to Springer on April 1st, 2008 and it was cold, cold, cold. Got snowed on at Stecoah Gap and ended up at the Hike Inn, froze our butts off in the Smokies and again on Roan Mt. Probably a lot like it will be down there in April this year...

Deer Hunter
02-13-2014, 10:37

How much did YOU get?

12" here, mom.

Seatbelt
02-13-2014, 11:45
We have no new snow this week(yet) but some coming in this weekend----and still several inches leftover on the ground from last week.

RED-DOG
02-13-2014, 11:59

How much did YOU get?
Here in western NC we got 8-10 inches thats in the town i live in, me and my GirlFriend went up to Winding Stair Gap and theirs easily a foot on the trail, and Probably 2 feet in the GSMNP.

Forestboy
02-13-2014, 12:35
I am planning to head north to Maine from Springer on or about March 15. Do I need to bring my snowshoes for GSNP? Here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan we have had several hundred inches of snow so far this winter; snowshoes or XC skis are a must for travel in the woods. Darn, thought I was going to get away from the cold and snow for a few months...

Slo-go'en
02-13-2014, 12:43
I am planning to head north to Maine from Springer on or about March 15. Do I need to bring my snowshoes for GSNP? ...

It takes 2-3 weeks to get to the Smokies from Springer, so by then the weather *should* be a bit more reasonable. The trail gets beaten down pretty quickly, so unless you happen to be there as it happens (like if you were there right now), snowshoes shouldn't be required.

But if these storms continue coming once a week into March, then you might want to have the snowshoes ready for someone to send them to you.

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 13:14
No snow expected here in Costa Rica :) Back home in Northern NH they're expecting a foot with that much on the ground already. The Whites are buried. Spring skiing should be fine!

WHAT?? Costa Rica? Prime Time... we won't even go there but that deserves a :sun.

We haven't gotten any yet, but it's a commin. BTW, notice the start date for this thread - 6 years ago almost to the day!

I remember 2008, we got a lot of snow that year. I went to Springer on April 1st, 2008 and it was cold, cold, cold. Got snowed on at Stecoah Gap and ended up at the Hike Inn, froze our butts off in the Smokies and again on Roan Mt. Probably a lot like it will be down there in April this year...

I knew it was an older thread but didn't notice that! :cool:

12" here, mom.

Yeah .... we had 10 inches this morning. That was then, this NOW... it's a total white out outside, RIGHT NOW... OMG.. we have another 2 inches already & it's still snowing!! :eek:

bfayer
02-13-2014, 14:13
We got 12 inches in our neighborhood in NOVA, and they say we will be getting 4 more inches this afternoon or evening.

The lump in the middle of the picture is my fire pit. We are about half way between Bears Den and DC, so I know they got hit harder than we did up on the AT.

Southerner
02-13-2014, 14:31
I wonder if the entire AT is getting snow / ice out of this system. Seems like a safe bet from Southwest Virginia north and in north Georgia. I wonder about the Tn/NC border section since parts of it may have been a little too far inland. Mountain Lake, which is just a short distance off of the trail near Potts Mountain / Wind Rock / Lone Pine Peak, is reporting 20", and I've heard similar numbers from places around Luray.

Damn Yankee
02-13-2014, 14:39
I have just about 18" here in Staunton. News was calling for 6"-10", Oh well, loving it.

martinb
02-13-2014, 14:43
Yeah, a cousin of mine just sent a pic of the snow piled up at the Kroger in Daleville. More snow than I can remember seeing in that area in a while.

illabelle
02-13-2014, 14:49
7-8 inches at my house, a little northeast of Knoxville. Melting off quickly. Had to go in to work at noon. :(

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 15:51
Yeah, a cousin of mine just sent a pic of the snow piled up at the Kroger in Daleville. More snow than I can remember seeing in that area in a while.

Yes, it's really bad here now!

I-81 in Roanoke County is officially closed. Friends in Richmond VA is reporting thundersnow- thunder and lightening with marble sized hail.

Still snowing ......snow is 3/4 of the way to covering the wheels on our Toyota Highlander! :eek:

Slo-go'en
02-13-2014, 16:09
I wonder if the entire AT is getting snow / ice out of this system. .

I would think so. No doubt entire AT is covered in snow right now, something which doesn't happen all that often - at least not in recent memory. This is one heck of a storm.

tiptoe
02-13-2014, 16:54
In SW Connecticut we're at about 12 inches and counting. Just finished my second round of shoveling. We're in the sleet phase now, and the snow is forecast to return later and come down all night. At least it's relatively warm.

kennyxedge
02-13-2014, 19:31
People are freaking out and bundled up because we dipped down into the mid 50's in SW Florida today.

WorldPeaceAndStuff
02-13-2014, 20:02
I wonder if the entire AT is getting snow / ice out of this system. Seems like a safe bet from Southwest Virginia north and in north Georgia. I wonder about the Tn/NC border section since parts of it may have been a little too far inland. Mountain Lake, which is just a short distance off of the trail near Potts Mountain / Wind Rock / Lone Pine Peak, is reporting 20", and I've heard similar numbers from places around Luray.
I'm in Boone and we have anywhere from 7" to 14". West of the ridge line got 7-10, east got 10-18. Blacksburg NWS station has 20". Another inch or two will hit Fri night. So Roan mtn area should have at least 7 if not much more.

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 20:20
It's all crazy stuff...

kennyxedge- I saw the funniest video about the deep south & winter weather. I'll see if I can find and post it on here... it's really funny!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=228759740641116

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=229191927264564&set=vb.100005212751815&type=2&theater (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=228759740641116)

Airgirl
02-13-2014, 21:00
Anyone know where to check the forecast for the Nc/Tn AT? I'm wanting to start doing some training hikes, but not prepared for the snow.

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 21:15
Anyone know where to check the forecast for the Nc/Tn AT? I'm wanting to start doing some training hikes, but not prepared for the snow.

You might want to wait for this last snowfall to melt then, Airgirl. I know there's a thread around here somewhere talking about what you are asking about... weather forecast links. I'll see if I can find it.

bfayer
02-13-2014, 21:22
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/

WorldPeaceAndStuff
02-13-2014, 21:25
Www.raysweather.com the best site I know up here. He covers a huge range of NC mountain counties.

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 21:30
You guys are awesome.. Thanks bfayer and WorldPeaceAndStuff!

WorldPeaceAndStuff
02-13-2014, 21:49
All the totals so far from Blacksburg NWS. https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201402140116-KRNK-NOUS41-PNSRNK

Dr. Professor
02-13-2014, 22:07
I measured 19" at my house in Roanoke. My friend measured 22".

kennyxedge
02-13-2014, 22:11
It's all crazy stuff...

kennyxedge- I saw the funniest video about the deep south & winter weather. I'll see if I can find and post it on here... it's really funny!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=228759740641116

(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=228759740641116)https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=229191927264564&set=vb.100005212751815&type=2&theater

People around here look like the guy in the second video, beanies, puffy jackets and all. It's ridiculous. I got some pretty crazy looks being out in shorts a tshirt at the grocery store this afternoon.

Del Q
02-14-2014, 19:35
16-18 more inches outside of Philly...............this was Olympic weight snow. Had to shovel most of the driveway and my wife's car out..........TONS OF SNOW.

Leaving March 21st for Newfound Gap to Erwin Hike, hoping for little snow, back and hip just now starting to heal. Might need a sherpa.

ocasey3
02-14-2014, 21:17
I am planning to head north to Maine from Springer on or about March 15. Do I need to bring my snowshoes for GSNP? Here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan we have had several hundred inches of snow so far this winter; snowshoes or XC skis are a must for travel in the woods. Darn, thought I was going to get away from the cold and snow for a few months...
Do you have one of those mailboxes on a high post? :) Love the UP.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-14-2014, 21:59
weather in the smokies during march is always unpredictable several years ago I hiked thru a lot of snow in the smokies sometimes in almost blizzard like conditions see my gallery pictures I did not need snowshoes just wear gaiters and make sure you knock the ice balls off the gaiter straps that go around the soles of your boots I only had to posthole a few times you should be fine just make sure you have good winter gear I turned my water bottles upside down when hiking to prevent freezing and kept my boots from freezing at nite by wrapping them in a plastic bag and putting them in the bottom of my sleeping bag. several hikers at the shelters left their boots out and they were frozen in the morning also stay hydrated even when its cold

WILLIAM HAYES
02-14-2014, 22:04
weather in the smokies during march is always unpredictable several years ago I hiked thru a lot of snow in the smokies sometimes in almost blizzard like conditions see my gallery pictures I did not need snowshoes just wear gaiters and make sure you knock the ice balls off the gaiter straps that go around the soles of your boots I only had to posthole a few times you should be fine just make sure you have good winter gear I turned my water bottles upside down when hiking to prevent freezing and kept my boots from freezing at nite by wrapping them in a plastic bag and putting them in the bottom of my sleeping bag. several hikers at the shelters left their boots out and they were frozen in the morning also stay hydrated even when its cold

WorldPeaceAndStuff
02-14-2014, 22:07
More snow for Smokies up through Harpers Ferry tonight. Starting as rain then ending as snow. Another 1 to 6 inches. I think Roan area along NC TN line gets the 6 this go round.

Slo-go'en
02-14-2014, 22:31
Snow drifts are up over my knees around my house tonight. The snow banks along my driveway after I finished shoveling are over 4 feet high. When I clear the snow off my roof, I won't be able to see out any windows. Looks like the next storm Sat night will only bring another 2-4" here, but that might still change. Can't wait to go snowshoeing and see how deep it is up in the woods and another 1000 feet higher. Now this is what winter is suppost to be like around here.

lemon b
02-15-2014, 08:00
About 18" in Becket. Thats on top of 12" last week. Do not think anyone has been on trail. Last footprints I saw on the way to work were two weeks ago. One needs snowshoes or youth. The 18 had about 1/8 th inch of ice at the foot mark. Pain in the behind cleaning up.

HikerMom58
02-15-2014, 19:30
I measured 19" at my house in Roanoke. My friend measured 22".

We had 21 inches at my house.

This pic was taken by a friend who lives in downtown Roanoke.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1660526_10153817227880057_1061585243_n.jpg

It was the 3rd biggest snow storm in recorded history. Temps in the 60's next week... C'mon Spring! :)