PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands Hike

Sloturtle
02-27-2008, 22:11
Wanting to do Grayson Highlands but dont want to get caught in Trail Days traffic yet looking to see mountain laruel in bloom any ideas of when the best time would be and want to go southbound ending in Damascus. Good starting point 40 to 60 miles north?

Hikerhead
02-27-2008, 22:41
Park at the Ranger Station/Partnership shelter on Rt 16 near Marion. Start around 6-15. It's about 50 miles or so to Damascus. When you reach the ridgeline above Old Orchard shelter, get on the Pine Mtn trail (old AT). That will take you up to Rhodo Gap thru the Rhodo fields. The Ranger station is closed on Mondays I believe, so keep this in mind.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2111362680047269387PyQKoN

Phreak
02-27-2008, 22:41
I'm hiking VA 16 to Damascus (49.2 miles) in late March. You're welcome to join me and my dog Suzi.

gungho
02-28-2008, 01:56
I'm hiking VA 16 to Damascus (49.2 miles) in late March. You're welcome to join me and my dog Suzi.
Wish I could,sounds like a good day hike:D

ChinMusic
02-29-2008, 14:12
I'm in the early planning phase of a 3-day, 2-night trip in this area next month. Any must-do routes? I have never been there before. 8-12 miles/day is comfortable.

My wife will be dropping me off, exploring the Roanoke area, and picking me up. So I don't have a shuttle issue.

Sloturtle
03-02-2008, 23:10
Ive never been there before myself Chin...was trying to get a little info. Let me know how you make out...my trip if I make it will be in early May

orangebug
03-03-2008, 08:14
This is a very nice section that you will want to do slowly. The ponies are great year round. Rhody and Mt Laurel should be great in June. Blueberries are fabulous in August. There are always people in the area, so do not anticipate much isolation.

It is usually best to park in Damascus and get shuttled out to a good starting place. Fox Creek is a nice start for a 3 day hike. Consider staying on the Virginia Creeper Trail, as it is far more interesting and level than the AT as it leaves the trail. There is also opportunity for ice cream along the VCT

jlb2012
03-03-2008, 08:22
It is usually best to park in Damascus and get shuttled out to a good starting place.

This is especially true if starting at Rt 16 since the last I knew the parking area at the Ranger station there is still closed to overnight parking.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2008, 08:24
Wanting to do Grayson Highlands but dont want to get caught in Trail Days traffic yet looking to see mountain laruel in bloom any ideas of when the best time would be and want to go southbound ending in Damascus. Good starting point 40 to 60 miles north?

Start at Fox Creek, VA 603 mid-June and hike SOBO back to Damascus 40 miles

Lone Wolf
03-03-2008, 08:27
Park at the Ranger Station/Partnership shelter on Rt 16 near Marion. It's about 50 miles or so to Damascus.

63.8 miles

Tipi Walter
03-03-2008, 09:11
I have a great map to the area and I know there are many access points, but the only place I've been in at was to the overnight parking lot by Massie Gap. Of course, you've got to see Wilburn Ridge and the pink granite rocks. The little horses are a treat, too. Problem is with Massie is that many, many people frequent the Highlands and it may be crowded. But most are dayhikers and once off the adjacent Gap trails I've always found backpacking to be pretty solitary.

On one trip I took Good Heart out for several days and she enjoyed the trip. Who wouldn't? There's a long ridgeline up above Scales and near the AT that has some excellent camping. BTW, in the fotog she's wearing an old 1983 Lowe Backpacker pack. Vintage.

orangebug
03-03-2008, 11:45
The best map for the is the National Geographic one, which you can pick up at MRO before your shuttle. The whole Mt Rogers area is criss-crossed in paths that provide short cuts and views.

ChinMusic
03-03-2008, 15:31
How are the roads to these trailheads? Are they the washed-out gravel type. If the roads are good I'd like to drive my Prius from Illinois. If the roads are iffy I'd rather have my CRV. I beat the hell out of my Civic last spring in northern GA.

orangebug
03-03-2008, 15:33
These are paved roads. I like the size of the CRV for gear. If you have a hybrid Prius, you aren't going to get mileage as you do in town.

(Hyundae Tuscon)

ChinMusic
03-03-2008, 16:28
I'd get low/mid 20s with the CRV and low/mid 40s with the Prius, depending on how fast I drive. (I can get 50mpg if I drive 55, and there is no such thing as a non-hybrid Prius). The Prius actually has a surprising amount of storage area. It is more than enough for the two of us. I just didn't want to beat the hell out of it on washed-out roads.

jlb2012
03-03-2008, 16:41
How are the roads to these trailheads? Are they the washed-out gravel type. If the roads are good I'd like to drive my Prius from Illinois. If the roads are iffy I'd rather have my CRV. I beat the hell out of my Civic last spring in northern GA.

The only serious FS road to a trailhead is the road up to Scales but even that one is possible in a Civic coupe although everyone else looks at me funny when I drive in - its rather rocky.