PDA

View Full Version : Uwharrie National Forrest, NC

Summit
02-27-2008, 22:46
Going on a lite hike this weekend . . . can't wait. It's only about 1 1/2 hours away. My main purpose is to shake down/get acquainted with all the new gear I've recently acquired: SD Lightning tent and footprint, BA Dual Core mattress, NF Cat's Meow sleeping bag, Komperdell C3 trekking poles, Marmot Precip jacket and pants, other minor odds and ends. About the only things not new are my pack, JetBoil cooking system, and toilet paper! :D :banana This is a prelude to my 70-miler from Sam's Gap to 19E coming up in April.

mosquito ninja
02-27-2008, 23:06
I'm working in Uwharrie NF at the moment. Doing a survey for the Troy bypass. Careful if you park your car near 24/27, traffic is bad and there are some theiving people on that road. Had 2 incidents with someone pulling over to snatch a co-workers pack and some one tried to break into our company vehicle!!! But ya the Uwharrie trail is decent 20 miles i believe. Be careful and Good luck!

Summit
02-28-2008, 00:08
24/27 is where I plan to park/start. What alternatives are there? I've never been to Uwharrie before.

mosquito ninja
02-28-2008, 19:25
I hiked the trail last summer alone. Parked at the 24/27 parking area and had no trouble, though if I did the trail again I would probably park at the trail end on SR 1306. Also camel up and bring extra water. I only found one water source last summer and only packed in a liter:eek: . There was some decent rain here this week so you may have better luck than I did. It's a fun trail and you can camp anywhere:D. Oh and don't worry about it too much just trying to give you a heads up. Have Fun! :banana

Summit
02-28-2008, 22:05
I've been doing a little research . . . was leaning toward parking and starting in the middle: SR 109, and do the National Recreation Trail south. Then I'd hike the Dutchman's Creek Trail back to where it intersects with the National and thus only a little back tracking. I'll only have one vehicle and don't care to try to do 40 miles in two days. What I've outlined should be about 20 miles.

I tried calling the ranger's office today but only got voice mails. I'll stop by as I drive right past the station anyway tomorrow and get their suggestions before making a final plan, but I appreciate your suggestions. I WILL have fun! :banana

mosquito ninja
02-28-2008, 22:16
word, sounds like a good plan. Look out for a white durango parked off the side of the road that's me.

Summit
03-04-2008, 23:50
Hey ninja,

Didn't run into ya, but after stopping by the ranger station driving in, they said the 24/27 trailhead was very safe. Said no car vandalisms reported at any of the three trailheads in at least 12 years (according to the ranger). I did the Uwharrie National Trail / Dutchman's Creek Trail loop and had a great time.

mosquito ninja
03-09-2008, 22:15
Awesome. :banana

might head back down there myself and do a shakedown hike, or go over to Pisgah NF haven't decided.