PDA

View Full Version : Trail luxuries?

dmb658
02-28-2008, 01:45
What are you bringing ass a luxury on the trail?

im bringing a portable radio and headphones, and possibly a journal

take-a-knee
02-28-2008, 01:50
I have a little Sony FM sport radio, I need some waterproof earpieces for it.

fiddlehead
02-28-2008, 01:53
a guitar

fiddlehead
02-28-2008, 02:05
sorry, i didn't realize it was a 2008 only forum. Never mind.

JERMM
02-28-2008, 08:03
small Sony AM/FM with weather band radio

Dr. Small Pot
02-28-2008, 09:16
My weight set.

Carp
02-28-2008, 10:49
One of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC) and one of these. (http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/zune-30gb-white/4505-6490_7-32102769.html)

There's my 3 lbs. of fluff.

Cindy from Indy
02-28-2008, 11:51
I'm bringing a mini-football and cards. :D

hobojoe
02-28-2008, 11:57
A quitar, 2 mp3 players, frizbee, harmonica, grass clippings, hackey sack, journal, painkillers, nalibong, and a naligene flask.

Pony
02-28-2008, 12:09
Bird book and binoculars.

Carp
02-28-2008, 12:49
mini-football

That is a fantastic idea. Those little NERFs don't weigh much of anything either. Gotta go grab on from Wally World.

turtle fast
02-28-2008, 12:50
I am bringing my full length thermarest....not for weight concious folks, but extra weight for my comfort is my luxury.

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 12:52
Grass clippings, huh? We are starting on April 4th? Can we hike with you?:D

A quitar, 2 mp3 players, frizbee, harmonica, grass clippings, hackey sack, journal, painkillers, nalibong, and a naligene flask.

kappy0405
02-28-2008, 13:12

are you seriously bring a guitar!? i thought about that.. the weight wont be an issue, but I think the extra bulk would make it really awkward, wouldnt it?

kappy0405
02-28-2008, 13:13
portable radio (gotta listen to the cubs games)
hackey sack
harmonica, though I cant play it, i thought it'd be a good time to learn ;)
2 piece fishing pole
Armchair treasure hunt book (Secrets of the Alchemist Dar)
Notebook (paper)
digital camera
whiskey, gotta have whiskey
inhalers... yeah, i'll die without them :)

vonfrick
02-28-2008, 13:17

you Sir, have a one track mind

Cindy from Indy
02-28-2008, 13:20

Are 'grass clippings' what I think they are??? Something like "420 Friendly"?

To you, I would be an old foggie-type and I am not 'in the know'.

But seriously, is that what I think it is????

turtle fast
02-28-2008, 13:27
I think I am going to get a banjo to bring along. I mean, what better way to get to learn to play it...can't be too different than my guitar. What better instrument to ward off Eddie Bauer Day Hikers than to sit in front of a shelter strumming a banjo like in Deliverence with a grass stalk in my mouth...PERFECT!! Ill look like a hillbilly anyway with a nice stinky aroma, big beard and a funny sence of humor...now what about some moonshine for my alcohol stove and myself?

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 13:28
I am just keeping it light. It's all hamless fun but yes, in fact that is what I believe the reference to be.

And no Von, It goes different ways.;)

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 13:30
Yummy, Shine! I want...I mean need some of that for the MSR. The white gas isn't working as well as it used to.;)

I think I am going to get a banjo to bring along. I mean, what better way to get to learn to play it...can't be too different than my guitar. What better instrument to ward off Eddie Bauer Day Hikers than to sit in front of a shelter strumming a banjo like in Deliverence with a grass stalk in my mouth...PERFECT!! Ill look like a hillbilly anyway with a nice stinky aroma, big beard and a funny sence of humor...now what about some moonshine for my alcohol stove and myself?

hobojoe
02-28-2008, 13:37
Startin April 8th hot on your tail.

are you seriously bring a guitar!? i thought about that.. the weight wont be an issue, but I think the extra bulk would make it really awkward, wouldnt it?
I strap mine to the outside of my pack. I have a soft case which I wrap in a trash bag. You have to be careful taking on and off your pack, and some folks find they dpon't have enough time to play it. Not an issue for me though.
The best time for hiking is ALWAYS tommorow

Are 'grass clippings' what I think they are??? Something like "420 Friendly"?

To you, I would be an old foggie-type and I am not 'in the know'.

But seriously, is that what I think it is????
No, this ain't the craigslist apartment posts! I like to lay down a bed of grass clipings before I sleep!

Banjo is great get one with a removeable resonator, those things are heavy.

Every year I hike More musicians, I love it. I've hiked with a guitar since 2004 and it's always worth it.
Don't leave home without it.

doggiebag
02-28-2008, 13:46
A book.
A pack of ciggarettes.
A couple of candle lanterns during winter.
A digital camera.
A journal.
It's amazing on how I view these things as luxuries when weight is an issue.

Cindy from Indy
02-28-2008, 13:48
No, this ain't the craigslist apartment posts! I like to lay down a bed of grass clipings before I sleep!

Right! :rolleyes:

wrongway_08
02-28-2008, 13:51
HP Travel Companion..... not sure how long it'll last, might be sending it home. Only weighs a few ounces and is about the same size as my camera - only thinner.

Camera.

ofthearth
02-28-2008, 13:52
Ya'll are making me feel better about my "Therm-a-Rest Trekker Lounge Chair Sleeve - 25-Inch" http://www.rei.com/OM/style/719827?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-na&mr:trackingCode=E51C068B-9FE4-DC11-AA92-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA . I mean I'll have something to relax in while I listen to you play.

HYOH
ofthearth

hobojoe
02-28-2008, 13:57
Don't ever be afraid to carry something because of it's weight. I know it is important to simplify and seperate the "want" from the "need". Been there done that, this years hike is all about fun!!! I already know a great group of hikers starting with me. The party dosen't stop till You reach kitahdyn, and even then......After all this is your vacation!!! The reason I have fairly light gear is so I can carry beer and music!
Let's bring a little love to 2000&h8 (2008)

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 14:35
You'll catch us hobo. I have a bad back so we are low mileage people. Yes, when I lay the grass down it helps me sleep too.:)

hobojoe
02-28-2008, 14:55
Lay down ON the grass.

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 14:57
That's exactly what I said.:D

Lay down ON the grass.

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 15:55
I meant to ask if leaves are in short supply where you hike? Here in KY you can easily make a level, soft spot for your tent or bag with them.

hobojoe
02-28-2008, 16:12
I cary enough with me to use as a pillow. But usualy the "unfavorable" leaves are in abundance.

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 17:21
OK, now I'm just confused.

wrongway_08
02-28-2008, 17:24
OK, now I'm just confused.

Me too, :-? think I'll leave Friday and go hiking for 6 months - that should clear my head enough to figure this post out. :cool:

Cindy from Indy
02-28-2008, 17:26
I'm tellin' ya, he's talkin' about wacky weed!!

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 17:39
Aren't you a coppish type person? My question to law enforcement types is if you were doing a hike on the AT and someone was partaking in the wacky tobacci would you arrest them or phone ahead to the local cops or would you be decent and let the person enjoy the hike in their own way???

I'm tellin' ya, he's talkin' about wacky weed!!

chiefdaddy
02-28-2008, 17:50
I once met a Cop and his little brother... The little brother popped out some special Herb and the brother cop didn't mind just couldn't partake. Also said don't drive around his town with the stuff and he didn't care. He was on VAcation also.

Cindy from Indy
02-28-2008, 18:01
Aren't you a coppish type person? My question to law enforcement types is if you were doing a hike on the AT and someone was partaking in the wacky tobacci would you arrest them or phone ahead to the local cops or would you be decent and let the person enjoy the hike in their own way???

No, I'm not a law enforcement-type person. I am law-abiding type person though. And, no I'm not going to go out of my way to turn a person in who's smoking pot on the trail.

However, I will be quite vocal to that person if I even get a whiff of it! I am very protective of my air. But I will be much more vocal with the law-breaking smoker than with the law-abiding smoker.

This thread is asking about what luxuries a person would take on their thru hike. My opine is that this should be limited to legal luxuries.

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 18:02
Most of my friends that are in law enforment even to the higher levels say that they don't care unless you're an Escobar. Even then some shy away(paperwork, death threats, ect. I am just curious what the trail mentality is?

error
02-28-2008, 18:04
One of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC)

There's small and then there's TOO small. I tried one of these out but I couldn't get my fingers to operate the miniature keys. Other than that, it's a nice little piece of equipment.

Jason of the Woods
02-28-2008, 18:04
Oh I agree 100%. I haven't played that game for a long time. Besides it makes me tired and my eyes red.;)

No, I'm not a law enforcement-type person. I am law-abiding type person though. And, no I'm not going to go out of my way to turn a person in who's smoking pot on the trail.

However, I will be quite vocal to that person if I even get a whiff of it! I am very protective of my air. But I will be much more vocal with the law-breaking smoker than with the law-abiding smoker.

This thread is asking about what luxuries a person would take on their thru hike. My opine is that this should be limited to legal luxuries.

quasarr
02-28-2008, 18:30
I think I am going to get a banjo to bring along. I mean, what better way to get to learn to play it...can't be too different than my guitar.

might I suggest a banjo ukulele

http://freespace.virgin.net/dennis.taylor/Page_01_Introduction.htm

It's way smaller & lighter than a banjo, but has the same sound! Also there are only 4 strings so it's easy to learn! it is cute though, you'll have a hard time frightening Eddie Bauer hikers with it ;)

I'm bringing a regular ukulele. My boyfried plays harmonica so we're gonna rock out! And if I get tired of carrying the uke I might take up harmonica myself :p

WhoAh
02-28-2008, 20:33
Oh I agree 100%. I haven't played that game for a long time. Besides it makes me tired and my eyes red.;)

And I can't carry enough munchy-type snacks....

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 11:07
might I suggest a banjo ukulele

http://freespace.virgin.net/dennis.taylor/Page_01_Introduction.htm

It's way smaller & lighter than a banjo, but has the same sound! Also there are only 4 strings so it's easy to learn! it is cute though, you'll have a hard time frightening Eddie Bauer hikers with it ;)

I'm bringing a regular ukulele. My boyfried plays harmonica so we're gonna rock out! And if I get tired of carrying the uke I might take up harmonica myself :p
Rock On!

Jason of the Woods
02-29-2008, 11:26
Yeah that's the other problem.;)

And I can't carry enough munchy-type snacks....

Doctari
02-29-2008, 11:31
MP3 player, 3 Oz
PVC Flute, 3.5 Oz
Tin whistle 1.5 Oz
Grand total of my "Fluff": 8 Oz.

Yea, 1/2 pound, but:

I
DON'T
CARE
:D

Rockhound
02-29-2008, 11:54
i hear those grass clippings can really weigh you down. ill be happy to help light up...er...i mean lighten your load for you.

Rockhound
02-29-2008, 11:58
does this mean i can bring my good luck anvil?

hobojoe
02-29-2008, 12:08
Don't forget your springer boulder....

sweetpeastu
02-29-2008, 12:10
my inflatable thermarest, I consider a luxury.....I might also bring along a few small bottles of liquer and a deck of cards....I once carried a book with me that I dind't read and that was the last time I brought a book....another luxury would probably be this little collapsable hairbrush with a mirror on the inside of it and tube of mascera...again most of which i never use. lol.

Rockhound
02-29-2008, 12:17

as long as thats just your opine you are free to express it.but perhaps you should reserve judgement.in a country where overperscribed medication is destroying millions of livers, maybe the people should take another look at what smoking something with positive benefits(unlike cigarettes) can do for aching muscles and bones at the end of a long day. as well as treating aids patients, leukemia patients, glaucoma patients, making clothing, making paper, making fuel. all this with a fraction of the impact on our environment that the current methods are having. but that is just my opine

kappy0405
03-01-2008, 01:54
..where overperscribed medication is destroying millions of livers, maybe the people should take another look at what smoking something with positive benefits(unlike cigarettes) can do for aching muscles and bones at the end of a long day. as well as treating aids patients, leukemia patients, glaucoma patients, making clothing, making paper, making fuel. all this with a fraction of the impact on our environment that the current methods are having. but that is just my opine

youre absolutely right, but what would that do for business.. here in the US everything is about money.. From what I hear from several doctors, we could actually be curing cancer patients... but it costs more, and brings in a whole lot less.. Go figure.

sorry that was off topic.. but i had to put in my $0.02

though cindy's got a point too. its pretty rude to force others to inhale/smell it. For some people, the scent alone is enough to make them sick.

Montego
03-01-2008, 02:20
Mini-binoculars, AM/FM/WX radio, paperback book.

karadactyl
03-01-2008, 02:23
On my thru-hike I brought: a book, a journal, crosswords (all to varying degrees), a camera, and a solar radio (part of the time).

Tintin, Pythagoras, and Joseph Stalin carried light sabres last year!

As far as pot, the smokers of that were usually polite and moved away (probably partially because they didn't want to share too much!!). It was the alcohol that was more of an issue for me - hikers would pack out extremely large amounts, get drunk and be obnoxious/leave trash/destroy things. I'll put up with a smoker over a drunk any day!

kayak karl
03-01-2008, 04:53
Ya'll are making me feel better about my "Therm-a-Rest Trekker Lounge Chair Sleeve - 25-Inch" http://www.rei.com/OM/style/719827?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-na&mr:trackingCode=E51C068B-9FE4-DC11-AA92-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA . I mean I'll have something to relax in while I listen to you play.

HYOH
ofthearth
i was looking at this one http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=bag0128

Bigglesworth
03-07-2008, 13:10
My luxury item would be an MP3 player, even if only used occasionally. Just got done a shakedown hike and the only thing that I missed was having some music when I was alone/tired and needed to get a little pace going.

As far as the other discussion that seems to have popped up, here is my opinion. I think it is like everything else when you have to interact with others (whichever way you feel about it): RESPECT. Be respectful of each other, and everyone will be fine.