PDA

View Full Version : looking for a hiking partner - 2008 thru LT

Bobbo
02-28-2008, 09:12
Hello
I'm looking for a partner to hike the Long Trail this summer. None of my hiking buddies can take enough time off from work to put together an entire thru-hike.
I'm a teacher so I have about a ten week window during the summer I can work with. Thinking the months of July or August will work the best. I've hiked the AT and the PCT. I travel light, but not crazy loin-cloth light. I would expect to travel independent of one another regarding gear, shelter and food.
I would like to be done in 2 to 3 weeks tops. I'm in good shape and I can hike at this pace. If you are interested or have any questions please let me know.

some basic info:
Matthew Burlinson
35 years old
married with 2 kids
teacher
AT 98
PCT 2001

Thanks for looking
Matthew "Bob" Burlinson

bredler
02-28-2008, 23:05
When do you need to be back for fall school prep? I'm a college student, so I start classes on August 25. With that in mind, the lastest I could be back would be August 20. Just to have some decompression time and get all my stuff back in order. So I guess the latest I could start would be August 7 or so.

I'm not sure what my work situation will be, or if I plan to teach my old high school's drumline for summer pre-camp again...

Definitely keep me on your radar though! VT is a great state in the summer, and I've always wanted to do the LT.

Some of my basic info:
Brendan Redler
18 years old
College student-Biology Major, Chem minor
Just some weekend backpacking trips and lots of dayhikes, max trip length of four days/three nights. Doing a two-week trip in may from damascus south.

bredler
02-29-2008, 00:43
Oh, thought I should mention; I too am a mid-weight kind of guy, base weight of something like 16 lbs for winter and 14 or less for summer. With food and water, my winter weight is something like 28lbs for five days w/o resupply and summer is about 23lbs for the same duration.

Not sure of the terrain on the LT, but I can keep up a pace of about 16-18 miles a day in the Shenandoahs. That pace is about right for the time you've allotted and allows for some flexibility too.

bredler
02-29-2008, 00:50
So I guess the latest I could start would be August 7 or so.

Oops, that's only 14 days from the 7th to the 20th...or 21 miles a day:eek:

So something like August 4 to the 20th would allow for 17 days at about 16 miles a day...much better.

Frosty
02-29-2008, 01:04
Not sure of the terrain on the LT, but I can keep up a pace of about 16-18 miles a day in the Shenandoahs. That pace is about right for the time you've allotted and allows for some flexibility too.You might find the terrain on the southern part of the LT a bit stiffer than the Shennandoahs. As far as the northern part of the LT, Jan Liteshoe says that at Route 4 the Long Trail becomes the Long and Hard Trail.

It can be done in 17 days, but you'll know you've been somewhere when you finish.

Good luck and keep us posted.

bredler
02-29-2008, 01:10
You might find the terrain on the southern part of the LT a bit stiffer than the Shennandoahs. As far as the northern part of the LT, Jan Liteshoe says that at Route 4 the Long Trail becomes the Long and Hard Trail.

It can be done in 17 days, but you'll know you've been somewhere when you finish.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:-? Sounds like fun. Also, just as a note, Aug 4 is the LATEST I could start, but I can do something like the 1st or the last couple days in July too. So that bumps it up to 21-24 days.

Frosty
02-29-2008, 03:10
:-? Sounds like fun. Also, just as a note, Aug 4 is the LATEST I could start, but I can do something like the 1st or the last couple days in July too. So that bumps it up to 21-24 days.Those extra 3-6 days would make a big difference. Give you a little leeway and not have to hump out 16 miles every day. parts of the trail are pretty rugged up north.

August is a great time to go. I have tentative plans for the Northville Placid Trail in August. If that falls through maybe I could join you guys for part of the trip.

I'd love to get back to the mansfield area.

Tosto
04-21-2008, 23:25
I might see you out there. I'm hoping to be on the trail July 1st (Black flies or not) and I might do a yo-yo until August 13th. Depends on whether I'm enjoying it!